Forums: Sports: 2008 Major League Baseball

dkyuubi

[141]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 31
    HelloStuart wrote:
    dkyuubi wrote:
    Since this is a MLB 2008 topic. I would like to say I looking forward tow watching my Minnesota Twins this season. Even though they lost their ace Johan Santana and star outfielder for the past 7 years Torii Hunter. I think they won't have a horrible season. They won't win the central or wild card.
    I'm just excited to watch all these young players the Twins have. EX. Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, Francisco Liriano, Kevin Slowey.

If Liriano's up to scratch, the Twinkies will finish third in the Central. If he falters, KC will probably finish third. To me, this is the Tigers' division to lose.

Yeah will that offense its the Tigers to lose. IMO they rushed liriano back in 06. They should've just shut him down for that season. Things probably would've been a lot different w/him last year.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[142]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 55
    HelloStuart wrote:
    tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well Byung Yung Kim (He doesn't deserve to have his name selled right) looks like a bum contract. He pitched for an inning or so agaisnt the Yankees blew the save and thank to bad relief pitching for the Yankees he got the win. I know it is the preseason but if I was getting payed to play a game I loved I would try 100% every chance I get.

However bad Kim is, at least he's not Curt Schilling. Bloody Sock is gonna make $8 million this year sitting on the Bosox bench. He made a mistake to come back for one more year, especially with his recent history of injuries.

Schilling didn't make the mistake. The Red Sox did. Heck, anytime someone can make $8 million just for sitting on a bench for 3 hours on each of 162 days -- that's a pretty good deal for that person. I'd gladly sign up for a deal like that.

By the end of the summer, I would be a championship crossword or Sudoku puzzle solver, or I would have gone through each and every Charles Dickens novel... twice. Oh yeah, and I would be $8 million richer too.
    Edited on 03/16/2008 2:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tvfanatic91

[143]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 44
    Kim just got in the game for the Bucs against the Red Sox. Let's see what he does this time. Gorzelanny pitched well giving up 1 run in 4 innings to the defending Champions.

thecomedianky

[144]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 19
    Just to think, the Phillies wanted Baldelli

HelloStuart

[145]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 63
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Just to think, the Phillies wanted Baldelli.

Well, it made sense at the time. Baldelli was a four-tool hitter and Utley was a mid-level prospect. Sometimes it's just hard to predict, like when the White Sox drafted Kurt Brown over Barry Bonds.

mp34mp

[146]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:

Well, it made sense at the time. Baldelli was a four-tool hitter and Utley was a mid-level prospect. Sometimes it's just hard to predict, like when the White Sox drafted Kurt Brown over Barry Bonds.

Bah.

Number of titles Bonds has: 0. Number of titles White Sox have during Bonds' career: 1. And considering the hornet nest that is Bonds, I think everyone will look past that draft. I'm pretty sure Yankees fans are over trading Willie McGee, Fred McGriff, Doug Drabek, Jay Buhner, Jesse Barfield, etc

HelloStuart

[147]Mar 18, 2008

mp34mp wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:

Bah. Number of titles Bonds has: 0. Number of titles White Sox have during Bonds' career: 1. And considering the hornet nest that is Bonds, I think everyone will look past that draft. I'm pretty sure Yankees fans are over trading Willie McGee, Fred McGriff, Doug Drabek, Jay Buhner, Jesse Barfield, etc.

Don't forget Bob Wickman.

Still, you have to wonder what kind of team the White Sox would've had in the late 80s' had they drafted Bonds and kept Bobby Bonilla...

Edited on 03/18/2008 9:02am

mp34mp

[148]Mar 18, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:

Bah. Number of titles Bonds has: 0. Number of titles White Sox have during Bonds' career: 1. And considering the hornet nest that is Bonds, I think everyone will look past that draft. I'm pretty sure Yankees fans are over trading Willie McGee, Fred McGriff, Doug Drabek, Jay Buhner, Jesse Barfield, etc.

Don't forget Bob Wickman.

Still, you have to wonder what kind of team the White Sox would've had in the late 80s' had they drafted Bonds and kept Bobby Bonilla...

My guess is not very much better than the 5th to 7th place teams they were. Those were some really bad teams as I recall. Terrible pitching staffs and bullpens along with really weak hitting. The '89 team was the absolute worst of them all, and everybody was hurt. But in retrospect, it was a pleasure watching them in the pre-TV booth Hawk Harrelson era. Oakland was the powerhouse in those days, with them 'roiding cheaters and all. Man I used to really really hate the A's. I miss the old A.L. West alignment. I even had old pennants in my basement of that alignment.

tvfanatic91

[149]Mar 20, 2008
    Well Kim blew another save for the Bucs this preseason. Look at this wild game between the Bucs and Yanks here.

Morris was another bum'd pitcher the Bucs signed. We're already looking like a 90 loss team and the season hasn't even started yet.

HelloStuart

[150]Mar 20, 2008
    tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well Kim blew another save for the Bucs this preseason. Look at this wild game between the Bucs and Yanks here.

Morris was another bum'd pitcher the Bucs signed. We're already looking like a 90 loss team and the season hasn't even started yet.

Unfortunately, you don't need a bad preseason to see that Pittsburgh will struggle this year. Their only major free agent singing was Doug Mientkiewicz, and he's probably starting the year in Triple-A or on the bench. Bay might get traded and Nady could go, too. Ninety losses sounds about right.

dkyuubi

[151]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 31
    HelloStuart wrote:
    tvfanatic91 wrote:

Unfortunately, you don't need a bad preseason to see that Pittsburgh will struggle this year. Their only major free agent singing was Doug Mientkiewicz, and he's probably starting the year in Triple-A or on the bench. Bay might get traded and Nady could go, too. Ninety losses sounds about right.

Wow when was the last time the pirates were good? 1993?

123home123

[152]Mar 20, 2008
    • level: 55
    The Nats released starting pitcher John Patterson. It's a bit of a surprise, but the team is probably better for it. Patterson still isn't completely healthy. He's hardly pitched since 2005 and he was very mediocre this spring. He was very good in 2005 (3.13 ERA, 185 K's in 198.1 innings) but he hasn't done much since. He's been on the injured for most of the last two years.

He's not someone the team could build around so it's better to get rid of him now and see what the young guys like John Lannan and Matt Chico can do.

Shawn Hill is also hurt again, but he is expected to remain with the team. He has good stuff when he's healthy (3.42 ERA last year in 16 starts) but the problem is that he is rarely healthy.

So the Nats are going to start the season with questions in the starting rotation. Odalis Perez, Jason Bergmann and Tim Redding will be starters. Then maybe John Lannan or Matt Chico. I don't know when Hill be ready but it won't be March 30. None of these guys are name brands but they are serviceable. Maybe some of the young pitchers from the minor leagues will make it into the starting rotation by July or August.

HelloStuart

[153]Mar 21, 2008
    dkyuubi wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    tvfanatic91 wrote:

Wow when was the last time the Pirates were good? 1993?

The first two months of '93, yeah. They played .500 ball for part of '97, though.

It's tough to say who's more to blame- Barry Bonds, Sid Bream, or incompetant management.

mp34mp

[154]Mar 21, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    dkyuubi wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    tvfanatic91 wrote:

Wow when was the last time the Pirates were good? 1993?

The first two months of '93, yeah. They played .500 ball for part of '97, though.

It's tough to say who's more to blame- Barry Bonds, Sid Bream, or incompetant management.

They don't have any money, Stu. They can't buy any good free agents, they can't sign any good expensive draft picks. The city can produce a powerhouse football team but can't do jack squat with their baseball team, and they almost lost their hockey team. It's hard to believe the Pirates were a powerhouse in the 70s and a mini-dynasty in the early 1990s. If there was any case for a salary cap & floor in baseball, it'd be the Pirates and Rays.

tvfanatic91

[155]Mar 21, 2008
    Well we pay Morris twice as much than the second highest paid person on the team. And he sucks!!!! Here is last year's salaries.

T_Brennan

[156]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 18
    Hi all, I've been a pretty big Jays fan for about 2 years now. I'm pretty good with all the on-field stuff but the off-field things I don't know so much about. Could anyone tell me what kind of shape they think the Jays are in for this 2008 season(both on and off the field)?

tvfanatic91

[157]Mar 21, 2008
    Well they acquired David Eckstein and Scott Rolen from the Cards, which are some mighty fine pick-ups. A.J. Burnett and Roy Halladay are stilll there which are two good pitchers. Their hitters are okay, but do not have any Miguel Cabreras so don't expect many Blue Jays at the All-Star Game. I have no doubt they will be better than the Orioles and Rays. I am not sure how the Yankees will fare without 'ole Joe Torrie, but I don't think this is the year they surprise everyone by winning the division. If they can get a above average hitting free agent or a consistent power hitter that is in his prime they could be wild card material. I like their pitching so if they can get some power hitters and maybe a nice reliever they could be a surprise team.

T_Brennan

[158]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 18

tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well they acquired David Eckstein and Scott Rolen from the Cards, which are some mighty fine pick-ups. A.J. Burnett and Roy Halladay are stilll there which are two good pitchers. Their hitters are okay, but do not have any Miguel Cabreras so don't expect many Blue Jays at the All-Star Game. I have no doubt they will be better than the Orioles and Rays. I am not sure how the Yankees will fare without 'ole Joe Torrie, but I don't think this is the year they surprise everyone by winning the division. If they can get a above average hitting free agent or a consistent power hitter that is in his prime they could be wild card material. I like their pitching so if they can get some power hitters and maybe a nice reliever they could be a surprise team.

Thanks, and I have to say I agree with everything you said. Their pitching seems to be in good shape, however, it's like they're just missing that one superstar, that clutch guy. Some have said they think this could really be a breakout year for Alex Rios and I hope that proves to be true. I think that the contract the gave Vernon Wells was way more then he is worth, even though he is a great player. I hope he comes back strong this year. Anybody you think we should be watching for, any guys you think might have a great year? Or is there anyone you think would fit into the Jays lineup nicely that maybe they should trade for?

tvfanatic91

[159]Mar 21, 2008
    Well I probably told you as much as I can. To me Eckstein and Rolen look like the best hitters. Rio and Stairs, both were once Pirates, have a great day for every 7 bad ones. Over bay is a nice lead-off batter, or middle lineup batter. Halladay will be the top pitcher, unless Burnett has a huge season. I don't think Gregg Zaun and Rod Barajas will do much. But as many know Tampa will not do anything and many think the Orioles could be in the League basement. The Yankees are a mystery to me so if they are good I think the playoffs are a bit of a long shot, but if the Yankees are somehow a below .500 team and the Jays take advantage of their conference schedule they might be able to sneask into the wild card.

Pay careful attention to next week's games during th efirst inning or two. The coaches will probably use the lineup they intend on starting the season with and that might be a little hint on how each team could fare during the regular season.

HelloStuart

[160]Mar 21, 2008
    tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well I probably told you as much as I can. To me Eckstein and Rolen look like the best hitters. Rio and Stairs, both were once Pirates, have a great day for every 7 bad ones. Over bay is a nice lead-off batter, or middle lineup batter. Halladay will be the top pitcher, unless Burnett has a huge season. I don't think Gregg Zaun and Rod Barajas will do much. But as many know Tampa will not do anything and many think the Orioles could be in the League basement. The Yankees are a mystery to me so if they are good I think the playoffs are a bit of a long shot, but if the Yankees are somehow a below .500 team and the Jays take advantage of their conference schedule they might be able to sneask into the wild card.

Pay careful attention to next week's games during the first inning or two. The coaches will probably use the lineup they intend on starting the season with and that might be a little hint on how each team could fare during the regular season.

I see second place as up for grabs in the AL East. Toronto has a good team (I completely agree with all the points tvfanatic made), but the Yankees are straddling the line between contending and rebuilding. If New York struggles, then Toronto will finish second. As for the AL Wild Card, Cleveland has the narrow edge. I'll go into more context on my blog next week.