TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

123home123

[41]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 55
    jokipper wrote:
    Looks good (the Yahoo league.) It'll make many things a lot easier for all of us. Now we just need to get the word out.

One thing I should point out (assuming that I understand the Yahoo scoring and standings system correctly) is that there is now no reason to not let people join the league at any time. So, the joining deadline isn't really needed now, unless I've overlooked some aspect of it.

Hmm, interesting point. Essentially we will be counting winning picks and disregarding the number of losing picks. Winning percentage doesn't matter either. There's a huge incentive for people to get in on the ground floor with Week 1.

What do other people think about letting people join at any time? If someone joins in Week 8 for example, it would be almost impossible for that person to win the season title. However, they could still win a weekly title. The Yahoo Weekly Performance chart makes it easy to see how many weekly wins each person has. We can list the total number of weekly wins for each person along with the overall leaders on this thread. In that case, there could be an incentive for someone to join late, the chance to win some weekly titles.
    Edited on 08/04/2008 7:24pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

simpsonian100

[42]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 12

123home123 wrote:
    simpsonian100 wrote:
    I also regret to inform you that I pretty much have to double space my picks, because every time I hit enter it skips a line. There's no option here to change the spacing, and I'm not computer-savvy enough to type everything in Word and move it to this website. I will do my best to follow the rest of the guidelines to make up for it.
    Let's work on clearing this up beforehand while we're still in training camp mode. Can you answer a few technical questions? This will help to figure out why your browser is adding an extra line break in message posts. 1) Which operating system are you using? 2) Which browser are you using? 3) Do you have the TV.com WYSIWYG Editor turned on (the What You See Is What You Get)? There may be a double spacing setting in that editor. 4) If not, do you have any browser add-ons (particularly if you are using Firefox)? These include extensions like Paste Email Plus and Sage-Too. 5) When you post a message, try clicking on the Quick Reply button, NOT the Reply button. You can tell whether or not you have the WYSIWYG Editor turned on by the message form for forum posts. When you start up a new message, do you see formatting tools and buttons like B for bold and I for italics immediately above the text area? The answers to these questions will help narrow down the reason for the double-spacing. It should be a simple matter of clicking one setting somewhere to get rid of those extra line breaks.

First off, I don't click "reply" or "quick reply." I always click "New Message." Second, thanks for the tips, but I'm thinking the message formatting will be better on Yahoo, so it shouldn't be a problem there.

simpsonian100

[43]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think it's pointless for someone to join at Week 8 just for a shot at being weekly winners. If they wanna do that; however, I suppose it's fine.

123home123

[44]Aug 5, 2008
    Now everyone has signed up except for tvfanatic. We still don't have any new contestants though, only the same names from last year.

elpaquilloloco

[45]Aug 5, 2008
    • level: 27

123home123 wrote:
    Now everyone has signed up except for tvfanatic. We still don't have any new contestants though, only the same names from last year.
    Also the guys from the playoffs' contest? I remember there was some more names there. They might be interested.

fishzone

[46]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 43
    I'd like to get in on this please

123home123

[47]Aug 6, 2008
    I'll send you the registration info via PM.

123home123

[48]Aug 7, 2008
    I posted a blog entry about the NFL Picks contest. Hopefully that will bring more people our way.

I added a couple lines to my forum signature earlier this week but that doesn't seem to have done anything at all.

Sherasbear

[49]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 61
    I would definitely like to get in on this too! My yahoo is the same name: Sherasbear

IndianaMom

[50]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 54
    Sign me up, please. If it's OK, my husband will be "helping" me make my picks.

123home123

[51]Aug 7, 2008
    What's that? I didn't hear anything.

Cubtracker

[52]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 20

Been out of the loop for awhile but I'm back. Hellfish, Fishzone, IndianaMom and others had our own league last year but I have been doing Yahoo Pick em for about 3 years now. I even won last year (OK there were just four of us, what do you want from me?) All this to say I'll join your group here so please send me the sign-in info, thank you. I think everyone will appreciate the benefits Yahoo offers. Someone was right, we don't need to match up our tv.com names with Yahoo id's, just the name of our PickSets. Good luck everyone!

Tommy

123home123

[53]Aug 7, 2008
    We're up to 14 players now. Maybe we can reach 20 players by September.

T_Brennan

[54]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 18

I would definitely like to join, perhaps my NY Giants winning last year will bring me some luck. Looking forward to this pool and the start of the season!

123home123

[55]Aug 7, 2008
    Cubtracker wrote:
    Been out of the loop for awhile but I'm back. Hellfish, Fishzone, IndianaMom and others had our own league last year but I have been doing Yahoo Pick em for about 3 years now.

We have now subsumed your entire group from last year. Welcome one and all.

HelloStuart

[56]Aug 8, 2008
    • level: 63

123home123 wrote:
    Cubtracker wrote:
    Been out of the loop for awhile but I'm back. Hellfish, Fishzone, IndianaMom and others had our own league last year but I have been doing Yahoo Pick em for about 3 years now.

We have now subsumed your entire group from last year. Welcome one and all.

*starts humming "Best of Both Worlds"*

Edited on 08/08/2008 5:36am

123home123

[57]Aug 8, 2008
    I was thinking something more sinister. After all, the whole point of this contest is total world domination... er, oops, never mind.

Anyway, we're up to 14 entrants now, with 2 more on the way once they read the official PM.
    Edited on 08/08/2008 6:49am

tvfanatic91

[58]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 44
    I signed up last night.

Pikachu_2121

[59]Aug 10, 2008
    • level: 20
    I'd like to join

123home123

[60]Aug 12, 2008
    We're up to 17 entrants now. Should make it more interesting than last year. Hopefully we can get close to 50 people by the time Week 1 rolls around.