Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

elpaquilloloco

[641]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 27

Congratulations InidanaMom
    I hope to see you next year.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NYBrian120

[642]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 11
    Congratulations to IndianaMom. This was pretty fun I look forward to doing it again next year. Can't believe the regular season is over already. At least the Giants are still alive though. Any chance of an informal playoff Pick 'Em?

123home123

[643]Dec 29, 2008
    • level: 55
    I think we tried something like that last season but it's just not as interesting because there are so few teams and games involved.

Congrats to Indiana Mom. It was a great contest and a lot more fun because of all the extra people we had this year. The ending wasn't as thrilling as last year when the entire contest came down to the final game of the season.

By the way, I was out of town for Christmas so I didn't get a chance to look at the standings for Week 17. I just found out that I won the final week. How did that happen? I started out on a hot streak at the beginning of the season, winning 2 of the 1st 3 weeks (to the consternation of some), but then I went into a long slump. Then I ended up winning the final week too and finished in 4th place. Much better than I thought I was going to finish.

I'll post the final standings tomorrow (Tuesday). I've been in airports and train stations for most of today (Monday) so I don't feel like working on it right now.

I'm looking forward to another friendly but competitive contest next year. Maybe we'll manage to pull in even more people then. Yahoo has a limit of 50 players per group so we have plenty of space to grow. Even if we end up with more than 50 people, we could just have two (or more) separate Yahoo groups and combine the results each week. But if the contest got popular enough, we could petition the staff to revive the "official" TV.com NFL Picks contest. They actually had an official contest last year or the year before but it got canceled after just a few weeks due to lack of interest. That's why we started up the unofficial TV.com contest on this forum.

Anyway, 30 or 40 people would be a good target for next year. Since mp34mp has been posting on this thread on a regular basis, he should join the group next year. I know of a few other TV.comm'ers who might also join. If any of you know other NFL fans on the site, try to talk them into joining. I'll be willing to handle the Yahoo duties next year again but I will try to better publicize the contest ahead of time. I advertised this year's contest in early August but maybe we can start promoting it in July next year.

I'm bookmarking the NFL Picks contest threads so we can compare year-on-year stats between 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Good job on the picks, everyone. More than half of the people (11 of 21) ended up winning at least one weekly contest. A few people got burned by failing to post any picks in some weeks. Next year, they should just post picks for all 17 weeks right away, and then just edit each week as the deadline approaches. If you do that, you are highly unlikely to get a score of zero in any single week. The top eight players scored 160 or better for the season.

The top player on the main Yahoo leaderboard ended up with 183 points, quite an accomplishment. That's another goal we can have for next year: to beat all the other players on the Yahoo site. It won't be easy though.

Finalsequel

[644]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 30
    I too want to congratulate Indianamom on an amazing season. You definately deserve to win after the way you played. I had alot of fun competing and trying my damndest to catch you, but you matched me pick for pick down the stretch. So congrats, Indianamom! You desrve it.

I, guess, becuase the group was larger, but this year was more exciting than last year. I look forward to playing against you all next year.

FlyingHellfish

[645]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 53
    Congrats to IndianaMom. That's back-to-back pick 'em championships. (She won the contest I ran last year.) And thanks to 123home123 for organizing the contest.

Had fun with it this year. I will say at first I was indifferent to the early deadline, but as the year progressed I would find myself on a Friday or a Saturday wanting to change a few games. The fact that we get to know everyone else's picks a few days before Sunday is cool, but I would quickly sacrifice that for the convenience of adjusting my picks on Saturday or Sunday morning. I agree that for safety sake everyone should fill out their picks ahead of time, but it would be nice to be able to adjust them later than Wednesday at 6:00.
    Edited on 12/30/2008 5:24am

Finalsequel

[646]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 30
    Is there anything we can do about that? I thought Yahoo set the deadline(s).

Les_Nessman

[647]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 5

First, by my posting the FUN Awards on my site, I've heard of a few more that have said they want to join next year. If more of us did this type of thing, we could get 30, 40 or more players.

Secondly, the first couple of years when I played the Yahoo Pick 'em, the deadline was 5 minutes before kick-off. My suspicion is that the moderator gets to pick the deadline. Am I right, Mike?

Thirdly, we didn't get beat by any girl. We got our jocks handed to us by a lady.

Edited on 12/30/2008 9:49am

123home123

[648]Dec 30, 2008
    The Wednesday deadlines were the result of all of those Thursday NFL Network games. There's nothing we can do about that, even if we switched to the 5-minute deadline. The deadline would still be on Thursday for most weeks.

We had some discussion on the forum about whether to choose the earlier deadline or the later deadline. The two options are the 5-min. deadline and the day-before-first-game deadline (either Wed., Fri. or Sat.). No one had any objections when we discussed the matter several weeks before the season even started. I think it's kind of disingenuous to complain about something like that afterward when everyone had an equal chance to post their input very early on.

The reason why many of us favored the earlier deadline was because we didn't want this contest to get too hardcore, with people scouring the news headlines for the latest injury updates 10 minutes before the games. That disadvantages everyone who just wants to have some fun with the contest without becoming obsessed with it. We had a bit of a problem with that last year when we weren't using the Yahoo system.

We can have another discussion about it next year during the run-up to the 2009 contest but I would have the same reservations about the late deadline. It makes the contest too hardcore. There's no money at stake so I really like the fact that we can just relax and post our picks without having to monitor all the news updates until 5 minutes before the first games. But even if we switched to the later deadline, we are still going to have a lot of Thursday deadlines next year because of the NFL Network Thursday games (along with the Week 1 early game and the Thanksgiving games). That won't change no matter what the group decides.

There really isn't a good excuse to miss any weeks. It only takes about 15 minutes to go through the entire season and post all of your picks before the Week 1 games. Of course, some teams may turn out to be much worse than they looked in the preseason. Some might be a lot better. Key players might get hurt and rookies may surprise everyone. You can always edit picks each week before the weekly deadline to change any or all of your weekly picks. But if you post all of your picks ahead of time, it's unlikely you'll get hit with a score of zero (unless your picks were really that bad). If you post all of the season picks at once, you might get a subpar week later on if you forget to edit your picks, but at least you'll still get 7 or 8 points, which is still much better than zero.

FlyingHellfish

[649]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 53
    Well, let me be clear. I wasn't complaining in the least. Only offering up my opinion. And as I stated in my previous post I was indifferent about the deadline when the contest started, so I didn't mention it. But now after the experience of a full football season I was just speaking my mind about the deadlines. I am by no means hardcore and intense with my football prognostication. It's just that there were about 1 or 2 games each week that I wouldn't have minded changing when it got closer to Sunday.

I wasn't trying to take anything away from the contest now that it's over. And in the end I actually would have finished with 159 instead of 162 correct picks had I been able to change the one or two I was on the fence about each week. So I'm obviously not saying that the deadline cost me in the standings, it actually prevented me from dropping a few spots. (I'm in a $5 a week pool with my bowling team and I tried to keep my picks from my bowling league identical to the ones here at TV.com. Finshed with 159 in that league.)

In short, I'm cool with whatever the consensus is for next year, I had a lot of fun this year and I'll definitely do it again. I'm not trying to stir up controversy, or complain. Just offering my opinion.

HelloStuart

[650]Dec 30, 2008
    • level: 63
    NYBrian120 wrote:
    Congratulations to IndianaMom. This was pretty fun I look forward to doing it again next year. Can't believe the regular season is over already. At least the Giants are still alive though. Any chance of an informal playoff Pick 'Em?

123home123 wrote:
    I think we tried something like that last season but it's just not as interesting because there are so few teams and games involved.

Too bad; I was kicking butt and taking names in the '07 and '08 playoffs... at least until the big game.

jokipper

[651]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 50
    Congrats to IndianaMom for a great win!

123home123 is absolutely correct about the deadline issue...the Thursday games are the problem. Next year, we can agree to have the latest deadline, but for most weeks, that will be still be on Thursday, unless Yahoo changes the system.

Setting up a playoff contest proved to be difficult last year. There are so few games, and we couldn't figure out an optimal way to set up the points system to keep the contest both playable and competitive.

simpsonian100

[652]Dec 31, 2008
    • level: 12
    Les_Nessman wrote:

First, by my posting the FUN Awards on my site, I've heard of a few more that have said they want to join next year. If more of us did this type of thing, we could get 30, 40 or more players.

Secondly, the first couple of years when I played the Yahoo Pick 'em, the deadline was 5 minutes before kick-off. My suspicion is that the moderator gets to pick the deadline. Am I right, Mike?

Thirdly, we didn't get beat by any girl. We got our jocks handed to us by a lady.

So you're saying it wouldn't bother you if more users made up some awards next season?

HelloStuart

[653]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 63
    If it matters, here's my Wild Card picks:

Atlanta over Arizona
    Indianapolis over San Diego
    Miami over Baltimore
    Minnesota over Philadelphia

Les_Nessman

[654]Jan 1, 2009
    • level: 5
    [QUOTE="simpsonian100"]
    Les_Nessman wrote:

So you're saying it wouldn't bother you if more users made up some awards next season?

Mind? I welcome all the awards we can muster. It's what makes the season fun. You seemed to enjoy them, sir.

Oh btw, I have just posted the final installment of the Awards I give out. It's a breakdown of what each player achieved, for better or worse. Can you bvelieve I handed out close to 150 awards in all?

123home123

[655]Jan 1, 2009
    The Week 17 winner is 123home123 with 14 points.

I won the first week of the season and the third week. Then I slumped for a few weeks and never won another week until the final week of the year. Strange how it all works out. (FlyingHellfish also had 14 points this week but I won on the tiebreakers.)

The Week 17 performance was enough to move me and FlyingHellfish into a tie for 4th place in the final season standings. However, no one fell out of the top 10 this week.

Indiana Mom captured the 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest title. Congratulations again on a hard-fought competition.

Thanks to everyone else for participating and making this an entertaining contest. It was much more interesting this year with the larger group of people.

This is the final contest update for 2008. All the standings and records below are the final ones for this season. I look forward to seeing everyone here again next season. Hopefully we'll be able to recruit many more people for the 2009 contest.

Weekly Winners

Week 17 Winner - 123home123 14 pts. (16 games)
    Week 16 Winner - Sherasbear 11 pts. (16 games)
    Week 15 Winner - HelloStuart 12 pts. (16 games)
    Week 14 Winner - tuckgraph 14 pts. (16 games)
    Week 13 Winner - NYBrian120 14 pts. (16 games)
    Week 12 Winner - tuckgraph 13 pts. (16 games)
    Week 11 Winner - Finalsequel 13 pts. (16 games)
    Week 10 Winner - Simpsonian100 13 pts. (14 games)
    Week 9 Winner - brandi1leigh 11 pts. (14 games)
    Week 8 Winner - tuckgraph 11 pts. (14 games)
    Week 7 Winner - brandi1leigh 12 pts. (14 games)
    Week 6 Winner - Pikachu_2121 9 pts. (14 games)
    Week 5 Winner - tuckgraph 10 pts. (14 games)
    Week 4 Winner - RevBucky 9 pts. (13 games)
    Week 3 Winner - 123home123 12 pts. (16 games)
    Week 2 Winner - jokipper 11 pts. (15 games)
    Week 1 Winner - 123home123 11 pts. (16 games)

Best Single-Week Winning Percentage

Simpsonian100 in Week 10 - 13-1 (.929)

Highest single-week margin of victory
    NYBrian120 in Week 13 - 2 points

Most Weekly Victories - 4
    tuckgraph - Week 5, Week 8, Week 12, Week 14

Most weeks in first place, including co-leaders
    Indiana Mom - 10 weeks

Overall leader(s) at the end of each week

Week 17 - Indiana Mom (169 pts.)
    Week 16 - Indiana Mom (159 pts.)
    Week 15 - Indiana Mom (151 pts.)
    Week 14 - Indiana Mom (141 pts.)
    Week 13 - Indiana Mom (130 pts.)
    Week 12 - Indiana Mom (118 pts.)
    Week 11 - brandi1leigh (108 pts.)
    Week 10 - brandi1leigh (95 pts.)
    Week 9 - brandi1leigh (84 pts.)
    Week 8 - Indiana Mom (74 pts.)
    Week 7 - brandi1leigh, Indiana Mom (65 pts.)
    Week 6 - Indiana Mom (56 pts.)
    Week 5 - Indiana Mom, jokipper, (48 pts.)
    - FinalSequel
    Week 4 - 123home123, El Paquillo Loco, (40 pts.)
    - FinalSequel, jokipper
    Week 3 - 123home123 (33 pts.)
    Week 2 - 123home123, jokipper (21 pts.)
    Week 1 - 123home123, HelloStuart (11 pts.)

FINAL 2008 STANDINGS

Entrant               Pts.

Indiana Mom 169
    FinalSequel 166
    Brandi1leigh 165
    123home123 162
    FlyingHellFish 162
    NYBrian120 161
    T_Brennan 161
    jokipper 160
    tuckgraph 159
    El Paquillo Loco 159

Sherasbear 155
    lisagraham 155
    HelloStuart 153
    Simpsonian 100 153
    fireballil 151
    RevBucky 151
    Les_Nessman 145
    fishzone 143
    Madison1314 134
    tvfanatic91 132
    Pikachu 2121 118

See everyone again in the fall of 2009!

passiton

[656]Jan 2, 2009
    • level: 24

Notes:

Congratulations to IndianaMom for winning the contest!