Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

HelloStuart

[101]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 63
    bouges13 wrote:
    I can't make picks for week one anymore? I am out... that ticks me off too much since not one single game had been played, yet I cannot pick for the entire week one?

Is there anyway to delete my name from the league? I tried to do it, but like not being able to make picks for week one, I could not do that either.

I was trying to drop out of the league (hard to do?) and found out that deadlines can be set... WHY do we have a deadline, when there is the option to allow for picks within five minutes of the first game played?

That's Yahoo's rules, not ours. Even so, you can still make up lost ground if you really clean up in Weeks 2 and 3.

Edited on 09/03/2008 7:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[102]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 55
    bouges13 wrote:
    I can't make picks for week one anymore? I am out... that ticks me off too much since not one single game had been played, yet I cannot pick for the entire week one?

Is there anyway to delete my name from the league? I tried to do it, but like not being able to make picks for week one, I could not do that either.

I was trying to drop out of the league (hard to do?) and found out that deadlines can be set... WHY do we have a deadline, when there is the option to allow for picks within five minutes of the first game played?

I posted several reminders about the deadline last week and this week, on both the regular NFL thread and the Picks thread. I posted a couple personal blogs about it, and I have the deadline listed in my forum signature. Obviously we have to have a deadline before games start. We can't let people pick once games have begun.

The problem with the 5-min. deadline is that it forces people to watch obsessively at the last moment in case of injury reports and other news. I don't want this contest to be that hardcore with an advantage going to someone who is consistently trying to get in at the last moment. No prize money is at stake so I thought it would be better to have a more relaxed atmosphere with the contest, like we did last year.

No one had any objections to the deadline in the month since I set it. Everyone has known about it for several weeks. If I change it now, it could disadvantage someone who made their picks yesterday and thought no one else would be able to pick after this afternoon. Those people might not log in tonight to see if the deadline was changed so they wouldn't have the benefit of editing their picks.

There will still be weekly awards for the person who wins each week. We will also recognize the people who win the most individual weeks over the course of the season. Other people will probably miss a week or two later on. I know that I missed a couple weeks last year. Only a few people managed to make selections for every week last year. So you could still be in the hunt for the overall title. I would encourage you to continue to play the contest. Teams change from season to season so the early weeks are often the hardest to figure out. If the leaders do poorly this week, then you wouldn't be that far behind. People will also have bad weeks later on.

But it's up to you. I will let you think about it for a day. If I don't hear from you by Thursday evening, then I'll assume you still want to leave the contest. At some point after 10 pm ET, I will delete your name from the list on Yahoo, in accordance with your request.

bouges13

[103]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 19

123HOME123 wrote:
    The problem with the 5-min. deadline is that it forces people to watch obsessively at the last moment in case of injury reports and other news. I don't want this contest to be that hardcore with an advantage going to someone who is consistently trying to get in at the last moment. No prize money is at stake so I thought it would be better to have a more relaxed atmosphere with the contest, like we did last year.

I do not see how a deadline ensures a relaxed enviroment. I also could care less if someone were to use the five-minutes before KO to make selections... really, what difference does that make? and why so paranoid about it? and how on earth does it force anybody to do anything? That is a lot of assumptions being made and worse still, it is assuming the worst in people... but the thing is, even if you are right, does that even matter? Some will take this very seriously, others not so much... but regardless that is personal choice, and the deadline thing is not needed... as long as picks are made before KO, isn't that the only thing that should matter? And honestly, I find not being allowed to pick the first week to be too insulting to even care to continue... even the word "deadline" does nothing to conjure up anything like 'fun and relaxing'.

tuckgraph

[104]Sep 3, 2008
    I personally don't have a problem with a five minute deadline. But you're supposed to know the rules when you enter a competition. If you screw up, suck it up and push on next week. Or, you could get indignant about it and quit.

123home123

[105]Sep 3, 2008
    Exactly. The rules have been posted on this thread for several weeks now. Everyone knew about them. Nothing was done in secret. The deadline was not secret either. Count the number of times I reminded everyone about the approaching deadline on this thread and on the main NFL thread. Look at my forum signature, which appears underneath EVERY SINGLE ONE of my forum posts. Look at my recent personal blog posts. If that isn't enough notice, then I'm not sure what will suffice.

We aren't going to change the rules to accommodate a single user who has a temper tantrum. There was plenty of advance notice and multiple recent warnings and notices about the deadline. There is also the ability to sign up for email alerts from Yahoo directly. This was also discussed on this very thread.

Quit if you want or stay on with the contest. It's your choice. But I do not want this to be a major distraction so I don't want a Brett Favre situation where you quit and then try to come back and then possibly quit again. As I posted below, I will let you think about your decision. Perhaps you will cool off by tomorrow (Thurs.) evening and decide to stay. If not, then I will carry out your request and remove your name from the Yahoo list. The removal will be permanent so consider that before you make your final decision. Have fun with this contest or get angry about the situation. It's up to you.

bouges13

[107]Sep 4, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    Exactly. The rules have been posted on this thread for several weeks now. Everyone knew about them. Nothing was done in secret. The deadline was not secret either. Count the number of times I reminded everyone about the approaching deadline on this thread and on the main NFL thread. Look at my forum signature, which appears underneath EVERY SINGLE ONE of my forum posts. Look at my recent personal blog posts. If that isn't enough notice, then I'm not sure what will suffice. We aren't going to change the rules to accommodate a single user who has a temper tantrum. There was plenty of advance notice and multiple recent warnings and notices about the deadline. There is also the ability to sign up for email alerts from Yahoo directly. This was also discussed on this very thread. Quit if you want or stay on with the contest. It's your choice. But I do not want this to be a major distraction so I don't want a Brett Favre situation where you quit and then try to come back and then possibly quit again. As I posted below, I will let you think about your decision. Perhaps you will cool off by tomorrow (Thurs.) evening and decide to stay. If not, then I will carry out your request and remove your name from the Yahoo list. The removal will be permanent so consider that before you make your final decision. Have fun with this contest or get angry about the situation. It's up to you.

Dude, that post was uncalled for and rude. I was voicing my frustration at not being able to make selections for the first week. I think I brought up legitimate points to a rule that is not necessary in a league intended for fun... so rather than adressing that, you attack me personally in a forum saying I am throwing a temper tantrum and acting like Brett Favre? Whatever, delete my team, sorry for not following your activities on this site close enough, and for making the assumption that picking 24hrs before KO would be acceptable.

123home123

[108]Sep 4, 2008
    The rule has been publicized for a few weeks now, on this forum. You didn't need to follow my activities on the site. I assumed that people interested in the contest would at least visit this thread.

mp34mp

[109]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 16
    123home123 wrote:
    The rule has been publicized for a few weeks now, on this forum. You didn't need to follow my activities on the site. I assumed that people interested in the contest would at least visit this thread.

You'd be surprised. Tho some people don't have time or energy to read threads with thousands & thousands of words in it.

123home123

[110]Sep 4, 2008
    I think 3 or 4 weeks' notice is sufficient, plus multiple reminders this week. Everyone else managed to make the deadline except for a couple people who haven't logged on in a week.

I don't like the implication that I'm trying to sneak in a deadline rule secretly or that the contest is being run unfairly. Everything has been done in the open and the deadline rule was open to debate for about 3 or 4 weeks.
    Edited on 09/04/2008 9:36am
    Edited 2 total times.

tuckgraph

[111]Sep 4, 2008
    Here's a tip: Go ahead and make selections for four or five weeks in advance. Or for the whole season! When each week comes around, you can edit the picks to your liking. That way, you don't get caught one week missing your picks! At least you have something on the board.

brandi1leigh

[112]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 62
    tuckgraph wrote:
    Here's a tip: Go ahead and make selections for four or five weeks in advance. Or for the whole season! When each week comes around, you can edit the picks to your liking. That way, you don't get caught one week missing your picks! At least you have something on the board.

I might do that just in case. You can always edit.

123Home-the rule was well publicized. I'm sorry we seem to have lost a player, but every game has rules. The 24 hour guideline was announced well in advance.

passiton

[113]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 24
    (Look at bottom of post if you don't want to read through this jungle of words.)

Let me just hop in for one moment. Bouges13 made a good point about people that will take this thing super seriously and unfortunately, I'm one of those people. Last year I actually printed out the matchups and sat in school during basically every class all week trying to determine who would win. It wasn't fun but, then again, it's a contest.

So, that's why I didn't play. I would take it way to seriously and I couldn't be happy due to always thinking about my picks and who I have to outpick. Some users probably forgot all about me and some probably asked themselves at least once why I wasn't playing. So, good luck to you all. This is going to be an interesting pick season.

TL;DR - I didn't participate because I wouldn't enjoy the games like I want to.

mp34mp

[114]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 16
    The stricter the rules the better!

123home123

[115]Sep 4, 2008
    Do you have anything constructive to add to the discussion? Or are you advocating for no rules at all? Or that we should follow the consensus rules only if we feel like it?

Everyone agreed upon the rules several weeks ago. If you agree to a set of rules that are publicly announced and that no one disagrees with, and then complain that they are too strict, well, I don't have any sympathy for that, nor for comments like yours.
    Edited on 09/04/2008 2:03pm

bouges13

[116]Sep 4, 2008

123home123 wrote:
    I think 3 or 4 weeks' notice is sufficient, plus multiple reminders this week. Everyone else managed to make the deadline except for a couple people who haven't logged on in a week. I don't like the implication that I'm trying to sneak in a deadline rule secretly or that the contest is being run unfairly. Everything has been done in the open and the deadline rule was open to debate for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I am sorry for being an a-hole, but it was never personal... I missed the deadline by seven minutes which in itself was frustrating as hell, then add to that that the deadline missed did not even have to be there in the first place, then the explanation of the reason for the deadline I disagreed with as it came across as almost being an accusation that I had purposely waited until the last second to submit my picks in order to gain an advantage by having more information than everybody else??? And then for questioning the deadline (which I still do not see any reason for, but really, if I had known about it I would accept because it really is not a big deal) I get insulted for it and lectured? Not cool, imo...

To me this is really simple - I did not look in this thread because I had already signed up, from what I had seen of the thread, it was more or less people just saying that they want to play and I assumed it would remain so until the games started up, so I never thought I had to really check back until the contest had started up. I did look at the pick'em page, and even started to make the picks, but since at the time, preseason was only in the second week, so I had much time before the picks needed to be made... so I figured the first game was Thurs. Sept. 4, so I decided to just do the picks on Wed. Sept. 3... where I missed the deadline by just 7 mins, and am apparently like Favre and a little kid throwing a tantrum that screwed up with not knowing the rules of the game I signed up for when I had not missed a single week last season nor had I any intention of missing a week this season. "EVERYBODY" knowing and agreeing with the rule is being thrown around too loosely because obviously not "everyone" knew the rule because I sure as hell did not...

123home123

[118]Sep 4, 2008
    You're calling me a jerk, with a message post like that?

123home123

[119]Sep 4, 2008
    bouges13 wrote:

123home123 wrote:
    I think 3 or 4 weeks' notice is sufficient, plus multiple reminders this week. Everyone else managed to make the deadline except for a couple people who haven't logged on in a week. I don't like the implication that I'm trying to sneak in a deadline rule secretly or that the contest is being run unfairly. Everything has been done in the open and the deadline rule was open to debate for about 3 or 4 weeks.

I am sorry for being an a-hole, but it was never personal... I missed the deadline by seven minutes which in itself was frustrating as hell, then add to that that the deadline missed did not even have to be there in the first place, then the explanation of the reason for the deadline I disagreed with as it came across as almost being an accusation that I had purposely waited until the last second to submit my picks in order to gain an advantage by having more information than everybody else??? And then for questioning the deadline (which I still do not see any reason for, but really, if I had known about it I would accept because it really is not a big deal) I get insulted for it and lectured? Not cool, imo...

To me this is really simple - I did not look in this thread because I had already signed up, from what I had seen of the thread, it was more or less people just saying that they want to play and I assumed it would remain so until the games started up, so I never thought I had to really check back until the contest had started up. I did look at the pick'em page, and even started to make the picks, but since at the time, preseason was only in the second week, so I had much time before the picks needed to be made... so I figured the first game was Thurs. Sept. 4, so I decided to just do the picks on Wed. Sept. 3... where I missed the deadline by just 7 mins, and am apparently like Favre and a little kid throwing a tantrum that screwed up with not knowing the rules of the game I signed up for when I had not missed a single week last season nor had I any intention of missing a week this season. "EVERYBODY" knowing and agreeing with the rule is being thrown around too loosely because obviously not "everyone" knew the rule because I sure as hell did not...

Well, I did not take kindly to the clear implication that the contest is being run unfairly, or that I had somehow snuck this rule in sight unseen.

As you can see from passiton's post, there was a good reason for the rule. I'm glad he posted here because I intentionally did not want to single him out. But since he came forth and explained a bit about last year's contest, I can confirm that that is partially why I favored the earlier deadline. Some people got a bit caught up in the competitiveness of the contest.

I would still encourage you to continue on with the contest. As I said below, I'm guessing that many people will end up missing a week or two, or they may have a horrible week later on. Yahoo Sports recognizes an individual winner every week, so even latecomers can still compete for the weekly titles, along with the year-end title of most weekly wins. I think that would be a significant accomplishment.

My intention is not to lecture anyone, just to clarify that I did not try to sneak this rule by anyone. I announced the rule on this thread and some people discussed it. No one raised an objection so I thought it was OK, especially with the competitiveness we saw a couple times last year.

You were a good competitor in last year's contest so I would hope that you remain in this year's contest. I am willing to let bygones be bygones as far as this matter is concerned. (However, mp34mp clearly crossed the line. Not really much I can say to his post without turning this thread into a flame war, which I refuse to do.)

As for the main topic of this thread, the NFL season has begun with the Giants victory over the Redskins. I thought it could have been a blowout but the Giants are much weaker this year without Umenyiora and Strahan up front. The Redskins are not looking good at all. They better get it together or they could end up as one of the worst teams in the league.

There is a lot of difference of opinion in the Week 1 picks, with only New England and Indy being the only unanimous selections.

Because of the weekly winners, I don't think it's too late for even new entrants to the contest. It may be too late to make picks for Week 1, but the contest for most weekly wins will be up for grabs, probably until the very end. That will provide additional drama for the competition, along with the contest for most points on the season.

tuckgraph makes a great suggestion to enter picks for every week right now. That way you will probably be guaranteed of picking up at least several points every week. You can always edit your weekly picks before the deadline, which remains at Fridays at 6 pm ET (unless there is a Thursday game). Remember that there are Thursday games during the Thanksgiving week. There will be Thursday and Saturday games during many weeks in December. The deadline will shift during those weeks. I will try to post reminders on this thread but I can't make any guarantees.

In addition to posting picks for all 17 weeks now, you can also sign up for the weekly email reminder alerts at the Yahoo site. Yahoo will automatically send you an email to the address you used at registration. It will remind you to make your picks for that week.

Good luck to everyone.
    Edited on 09/04/2008 7:42pm

jokipper

[120]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 50
    As I posted back in post #84:

"Keep in mind that picks can be edited up until the deadline--it's better to get your picks in early than to miss a week by being late."

123home123 is correct that having the deadline as it is now makes for a more relaxed contest overall. I've played in multi-sport fantasy leagues for over 10 years, and an early deadline makes for less stress. It's more fun to make the picks, have a day or two to relax, and then enjoy the games as they play out. At any rate, there's no reason to vent at 123home123, since the contest rules have been there for all to read and understand, and we had plenty of time to discuss any issues.

On to other things:

Everyone should keep in mind that the weekly picks page initially lists the home team as the favorite by default....don't let that fool you. This week, we had 7 road favorites in reality (and in week 2, for example, I seriously doubt that the Jets are actually the favorite against the Patriots!) Players might have to refer to the Yahoo NFL Odds page if they aren't sure which teams are actually the favorites.

One interesting game, as far as our contest goes, is the MINN at GB game. The Packers are a 2 1/2 point home favorite, but 65% of our contestants have picked the Vikings to win the game....hmmmm, we shall see