Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

IndianaMom

[121]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 54
    What is the Pick Distribution? Is that how our group picked?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[122]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 63
    IndianaMom wrote:
    What is the Pick Distribution? Is that how our group picked?

Yes. For example, 95% of us picked Indianapolis to beat Chicago (myself included, unfortunately).

fishzone

[123]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 43
    The pick distribution is for all of the leagues in yahoo. Not just ours. If you notice, the NE/KC distribution is 98% to 2%, and the IND/CHI distribution is 95% to 5%. Where as in our league, everyone unanimously picked the Colts and Pats to win.

tvfanatic91

[124]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 44
    Darn! I mised the stupid deadline and now I can't vote for any of the games tomorrow. This bites!

123home123

[125]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 55
    DEADLINE SCHEDULE

The deadline for picks in Week 2 through Week 9 will be Friday at 6 pm ET.

Beginning with Week 10, the deadline will be Wednesday at 6 pm ET every week through Week 16.

Week 17 will revert to the Friday deadline schedule.

I highly recommend that you post picks for all 16 remaining weeks right away. This will guarantee that you have a shot at winning at least some points each week. If certain teams get hit with major injuries or a team isn't playing well, you can always edit your picks at any time until the deadline.

123home123

[126]Sep 7, 2008
    I like the automatic standings updates on Yahoo. This is so much easier than last year when I was calculating all the results manually.

Six entrants are tied for the lead with 9 points, pending the results of the two Monday night games. The Week 1 co-leaders will probably have 10 or 11 points so for those people who missed out on the picks this week, there won't be a commanding lead at the top of the leader board.

The deadline for next week's picks is Friday, 6 pm ET. Make sure you get your picks in early and edit them later as needed. I imagine people might wait to see what the news is with Tom Brady and his injured knee but pick the game now and change it later if you want.

I'll add a list of weekly winners (and co-winners) to the first or second post of this thread.

FlyingHellfish

[127]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 53
    There's always going to be a game each week in which everyone is wrong, too bad it was the Colts.

Also, hats off to RevBucky for being the only one to pick Atlanta and Carolina.
    Edited on 09/07/2008 9:01pm

tuckgraph

[128]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 19
    Having two Monday night games can greatly increase the drama! I've been playing fantasy football for a while, but never a pick'em competition. This is fun!

123home123

[129]Sep 7, 2008
    Another interesting aspect of the Yahoo site is that you can't see other people's picks until after the deadline. That means that we won't be able to plan upset picks just to go against the grain to catch up to the leaders in later weeks. Some of us did that last year when we knew what the leader had picked. Now we won't know if the leader(s) have also picked those upsets. It adds an element of mystery to the contest.

Cubtracker

[130]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 20

FlyingHellfish wrote:
    There's always going to be a game each week in which everyone is wrong, too bad it was the Colts. Also, hats off to RevBucky for being the only one to pick Atlanta and Carolina.

I am just sick over the Colts loss.

And RevBucky chose three games against the whole field. Twice he was right (Atl and Carolina) but he got bit on the Philly win over the Rams. Still, pretty gutsy and a net gain of one game using his strategy.

I have a sinking feeling this could be the year of parity, making for lower scores in our league and anybody's game.

brandi1leigh

[131]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 62
    Watching the games yesterday, I figured I'd be way behind. But, apparantly a lot of us missed a few. It's looking more and more like Brady's out for a while, which will change some of my picks.

Cubtracker

[132]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 20

brandi1leigh wrote:
    Watching the games yesterday, I figured I'd be way behind.

According to my calculations, three of the 6 currently tied for the lead are Brandi, Bucky and Bobby (FinalSequal).

I guess Bambi and Boopsie were too busy to submit their picks!

Edited on 09/08/2008 8:38am

HelloStuart

[133]Sep 8, 2008
    Cubtracker wrote:

brandi1leigh wrote:
    Watching the games yesterday, I figured I'd be way behind.

According to my calculations, three of the 6 currently tied for the lead are Brandi, Bucky and Bobby (FinalSequal).

I guess Bambi and Boopsie were too busy to submit their picks!

Don't forget Buddy, Babette and Binky. It's almost like they don't care anymore.

Finalsequel

[134]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 30
    I was surprised that I got 9 games right. I was pretty good through the early games, but I was flipping back and forth between the late games freaking out. I still can't believe that Carolina won on a last second TD pass.

123home123

[135]Sep 8, 2008
    And the Week 1 winner is... me!

I won in the Yahoo tiebreaker over HelloStuart. The Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee and Green Bay picks really helped since most people picked all of those teams to lose. With the upsets, almost everyone picked the favorite so I didn't lose any ground there. I did lose on San Francisco (beaten by Arizona) and Cleveland (beaten by Dallas). I guess I overestimated how much Cleveland's defense would improve over last year's edition. Actually, I don't think they improved at all. Looks like it might be a long year for the Browns.

There wasn't too much faith in the Bills among the group. I'm telling you that they have a much improved roster and another year of experience. They have a better offensive coordinator too. They have an easy schedule on top of all that. There might be a little luck involved too since they played the Seahawks while they were severely undermanned at WR. Next week the Jags will be missing 3 starters from their offensive line, and of course in the two games against New England, the Patriots will be without Tom Brady.

Denver and the NY Jets will probably be better than they were last year but it looks like Cleveland and San Diego may have taken a step backwards.

For the next 8 weeks, the deadline will be Friday at 6 pm ET. After that, the deadline will be on Wednesdays at 6 pm ET, beginning on Wed., Nov. 5. Less than half the entrants have posted picks for Week 2. Post a preliminary set of picks right away and then edit them as necessary on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Week 1 Winner - 123home123

Season Standings

Entrant               Pts.

123home123 11
    HelloStuart 11
    FinalSequel 10
    Brandi1leigh 10
    fishzone 10
    RevBucky 10
    El Paquillo Loco 10
    jokipper 10
    lisagraham 10
    Madison1314 10
    tuckgraph 9
    T_Brennan 9
    Simpsonian 100 9
    NY Brian 120 9
    Indiana Mom & Dad 9
    Cubtracker 9
    Pikachu 2121 8
    Sherasbear 8
    xboxliveguy 8
    FlyingHellFish 7
    tvfanatic91 -
    fireballil -
    Edited on 09/08/2008 11:02pm
    Edited 3 total times.

HelloStuart

[136]Sep 9, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    And the Week 1 winner is... me!

I won in the Yahoo tiebreaker over HelloStuart. The Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee and Green Bay picks really helped since most people picked all of those teams to lose. With the upsets, almost everyone picked the favorite so I didn't lose any ground there. I did lose on San Francisco (beaten by Arizona) and Cleveland (beaten by Dallas). I guess I overestimated how much Cleveland's defense would improve over last year's edition. Actually, I don't think they improved at all. Looks like it might be a long year for the Browns.

What tiebreaker?

Finalsequel

[137]Sep 9, 2008
    NOOOO! I meant to pick Green Bay but instead chose Minnesota. Atleast it is still early in the competition and it shouldn't hurt me.

123home123

[138]Sep 9, 2008
    On the picks page, there are 3 tie breakers at the bottom: exact score of the Sunday and Monday Night games, the team who will score the most points over the weekend, and the team who you think will score the least number of points.

I don't know how it's calcukated. It's done automatically.

lisagraham

[139]Sep 9, 2008

I didn't see the tie braker info somehow either, then when I logged back in on the weekend to check my progress there it was... Weird, anyway I'm guessing that's why I'm in the bottom of the group of us with 10 points?

I made sure to enter the info for this week!

brandi1leigh

[140]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 62
    The tiebreakers are hard! At least for me. I guess my mind doesn't work that way...