Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

lisagraham

[141]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 30

brandi1leigh wrote:
    The tiebreakers are hard! At least for me. I guess my mind doesn't work that way...

They are totally hard... how the heck are we supposed to know highest points? I just put in what I hope are not totally ridiculous guesses :LOL:

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Cubtracker

[142]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 20
    Hope you all come over to my place where I dish out weekly pick em awards!

elpaquilloloco

[143]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 27

One game behind... damn.
    I wanted to change the BAL-CIN pick but I couldn't.

jokipper

[144]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 50
    What a tough week--I'm happy to get out with 10 wins. My worst pick was the Seattle/Buffalo game...I suspected it was a bad pick but didn't change the pick before the deadline, although I thought about changing it all week.

The 7 road favorites were an aspect that made this an unusually tough week for picks. They wound up going 4-3, and the home favorites went 7-2. Overall, the home teams went 10-6. I'm not surprised that 11 correct picks was tops for our league this week--it was that tough of a schedule. No one in any Yahoo league got all 16 right, but 5 players got 15 correct.

NYBrian120

[145]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 11
    Some really interesting matchups this week that most probably would have otherwise overlooked. Carolina vs. Chicago now looks like a good matchup between two formerly mediocre NFC teams that made big statements against the AFC elite last week. Jacksonville vs. Buffalo now seems to have been turned upside down with Buffalo's impressive play and injuries and poor play by the Jaguars in Week 1. Indianapolis vs. Minnesota now seems more up in the air after seeing the rookie Forte run all over the Colts last week. Seattle vs. San Francisco could be a close game now with Seattle's WR corps really banged up. Atlanta looked exciting enough last week as much as Tampa Bay looked shaky, so that matchup may even be closer than most would have thought going into this season. San Diego vs. Denver could be good if Jay Cutler is for real. New York Jets vs. New England is now a real matchup with Favre in and Brady out. And arguably the best matchup this week has to be Dallas vs. Philadelphia. Great for me because I get to watch them tear each other apart, with one of them guaranteed to lose and at least remain tied with us if, for some reason, the Giants manage to lose next week at St. Louis. If not, we'll share the NFC East lead with only one of the two teams.

The Giants got lucky with the schedule in the first half of the season. We got Washington early enough where they were still trying to grasp a new offensive scheme, then we get St. Louis and then Cincy at home before a bye in Week 4 (which is kind of annoying having it so early). When we get back, it gets a little tougher with Seattle at home, then a trip to Cleveland, back home for San Fran, and then a game at Pittsburgh (that'll be tough). Then we actually have to start playing our division games, with Dallas at home then a game in Philly. Then we get Baltimore at home before a trip to Arizona (hoping for a repeat in Glendale ). Then it's the hardest 1-2-3 on the schedule, with a road game at Washington, back home for Philadelphia, then down to Dallas. Hopefully we can catch our breath the last two weeks with Carolina at home and at Minnesota, but judging by last week, we could be in for some hard games at the end of the season. We gotta start off strong against the weaker side of our schedule, because it's only gonna get harder.

123home123

[146]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 55
    lisagraham wrote:

brandi1leigh wrote:
    The tiebreakers are hard! At least for me. I guess my mind doesn't work that way...

They are totally hard... how the heck are we supposed to know highest points? I just put in what I hope are not totally ridiculous guesses :LOL:

Look for the best and worst teams going against the best and worst offenses and defenses. I know that's not easy but we already know a few teams will be terrible the entire season, while many others will probably have up-and-down seasons. The trick is in figuring out which team belongs in which category.

Expertise doesn't necessarily help. Someone pointed out last year that several prominent professional football commentators would not have won our Picks Contest last year.

Everyone has their picks in this week except for two people. And tvfanatic still needs to post picks for two specific games to complete his set.

So far Madison1314 is the only person to post picks for every week of the season. I've posted picks through Week 4. When I get some free time next week, I'm going to post picks for the remaining weeks. Then I can just relax and make a couple edits here and there instead of worrying about remembering the weekly deadlines. Don't forget to fill in the tiebreaker fields too. We already had one weekly tie. I expect we'll have many more weekly ties because of the larger number of players this year.

Finalsequel

[147]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 30
    lisagraham wrote:

brandi1leigh wrote:

Those are hard for me, too. I just hope that I am far ahead in the actual picks and those don't matter.

madison1314

[148]Sep 11, 2008
    • level: 46
    Haha, I actually did that so I would still get points if I forget. It looks like the strategy already payed off, since I just realized today that I should check how well I did for last week. 10 wins is better than I thought I would get, so I am happy. But also devastated because the Colts lost. The Colts are my favorite team, so I hope they pick it up next week. Oh and thanks for reminding me about the tiebreakers. I must have missed them when I filled out my teams. I will go add them in now.
    Edited on 09/11/2008 2:00pm

123home123

[149]Sep 11, 2008
    xboxliveguy and Pikachu2121 still haven't posted their picks for this week. Time is running out guys. You have until Friday at 6 pm ET. That's less than 18 hours from now.

tvfanatic91 is also missing 2 games this week. If you see this post in time, make sure you fill in those two games. Otherwise you are guaranteed to get zero points for those two games.

Sherasbear

[150]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 61
    Well, only 8 points from last week! Don't know where my mind is at with football these days! Usually I'm so much better at picking winners My Fantasy team sucked last week too! Hoping for a better week two!!!
    Btw-with all that talk about a deadline for picks, doesn't yahoo email you about the deadline before, it does for me... I set it up that way to remind me!

123home123

[151]Sep 12, 2008
    I think you have to opt in for the reminder emails. In addition, some people who have non-Yahoo email addresses may get those emails picked up by their spam filters.

brandi1leigh

[152]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 62
    123home123 wrote:
    I think you have to opt in for the reminder emails. In addition, some people who have non-Yahoo email addresses may get those emails picked up by their spam filters.

That's what happened to me. My reminder was caught in my spam blocker. Luckily, I'd seen other reminders and have posted my picks for at least 6 weeks in advance.

tvfanatic91

[153]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 44
    Crap missed them again. Is there a way to get the deadline on Saturday at like Midnight. This deadline sucks!

123home123

[154]Sep 12, 2008
    Why are you waiting so long to post your picks? Post next week's picks right now along with several other weeks.

123home123

[155]Sep 12, 2008
    Now that this week's deadline has passed, we can see everyone's picks. The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too.

I ended up picking the same exact slate as El Paquillo Loco so we are guaranteed to get the same number of points this week. Hopefully it will be another tie at the top.

elpaquilloloco

[156]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 27

123home123 wrote:
    Now that this week's deadline has passed, we can see everyone's picks. The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too. I ended up picking the same exact slate as El Paquillo Loco so we are guaranteed to get the same number of points this week. Hopefully it will be another tie at the top.
    Damn it! That means I won't be able to get the top spot this week.

Edited on 09/12/2008 11:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[157]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 63
    elpaquilloloco wrote:

123home123 wrote:
    Now that this week's deadline has passed, we can see everyone's picks. The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too. I ended up picking the same exact slate as El Paquillo Loco so we are guaranteed to get the same number of points this week. Hopefully it will be another tie at the top.

This also means I could win first place outright.

HelloStuart

[158]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 63
    123home123 wrote:
    Now that this week's deadline has passed, we can see everyone's picks. The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too.

I cried the Falcons had no shoes until I saw the Rams with no feet.

fishzone

[159]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 43
    123home123 wrote:
    The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too.

That would be me

the Arizona/Miami game was also close to being unanimous, but one person choose Miami.

NYBrian120

[160]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 11

Someone's gotta make these things interesting, right?

I'm a little worried about the Giants-Rams game. I still think the G-Men will win, but they almost never win convincingly. They always seem to play to the level of their opponent. I think this game will be a lot closer than people think.

elpaquilloloco wrote:
    123home123 wrote:

Ditto for me....