Forums: Sports: 2008 TV.com NFL Picks Contest

123home123

[161]Sep 13, 2008
    • level: 55
    The Houston-Baltimore game is being postponed because of hurricane damage to Reliant Stadium. I hope Yahoo is on the ball and accounts for the postponed game in the contest. They will also have to alter the schedule in October and November when this game is made up. The Bengals will have their schedule altered too.

Everyone should keep this in mind. You may need to edit your picks later on if you posted picks for those weeks already.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[162]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 63
    123home123 wrote:
    The Houston-Baltimore game is being postponed because of hurricane damage to Reliant Stadium. I hope Yahoo is on the ball and accounts for the postponed game in the contest. They will also have to alter the schedule in October and November when this game is made up. The Bengals will have their schedule altered too.

Everyone should keep this in mind. You may need to edit your picks later on if you posted picks for those weeks already.

As a result of Ike, this will be the Texans and Ravens' bye week; the game was postponed to early November (the Ravens' original bye week). In turn, the game Texans were supposed to play that week will be moved up two weeks, on their pre-determined bye week. At least that's what I heard.

lisagraham

[163]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 30

fishzone wrote:
    the Arizona/Miami game was also close to being unanimous, but one person choose Miami.

That would be me, but for the life of me I'm not sure why... I am a Dolphin fan, but I am also a realist... But, Hey, It could happen

Oh, and what the heck with the Raiders... WOW, what an unexpected butt kickin'... Good for them

Edited on 09/14/2008 1:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[164]Sep 14, 2008
    lisagraham wrote:

fishzone wrote:
    the Arizona/Miami game was also close to being unanimous, but one person choose Miami.

That would be me, but for the life of me I'm not sure why... I am a Dolphin fan, but I am also a realist... But, Hey, It could happen

Oh, and what the heck with the Raiders... WOW, what an unexpected butt kickin'... Good for them

Lane Kiffin's job is safe for another day. I still think both Bay Area teams will be looking for new coaches by the end of the season.

jokipper

[165]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 50
    lisagraham wrote:

NFL fans, meet Darren McFadden...I've been watching him play for three years

Wow, it has been a tougher week than even I expected. I wouldn't have thought that 10 or 11 correct picks would win this week. Underdogs have to be taken seriously in these early weeks, that's for sure.

elpaquilloloco

[166]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 27

It looks like jokipper will win this week. that will place him in first place overall, tied with 123home123 with FinalSequel and me one game behind them.

123home123

[167]Sep 15, 2008
    fishzone wrote:
    123home123 wrote:
    The only unanimous pick is the Giants over the lowly Rams. Someone picked SF playing on the road at Seattle. Otherwise that would have been a unanimous pick too.

That would be me

Miami got crushed like many thought they would, but somehow San Francisco won at Seattle. You picked up a point on everyone else with that game. I thought SF would get blown out. Maybe Seattle just isn't that good this year.

I'm glad that Buffalo is showing that they have different ways to win. Special teams won their first game. This week Trent Edwards carried the team. After two games against good defenses and playoff teams from last year, he has a 107.7 QB rating and a 70.9 completion percentage. Most importantly he is 2-0 as a starter on the young season with 0 INTs. If he can continue to play solidly, the Bills will be in good shape in December and January. It's quite possible that Buffalo could be 4-0 at the end of the month.

Regarding the Picks Contest, I am so glad that we moved to Yahoo Sports this year. There's no way I would have had the time to calculate standings this week. Believe it or not, I just got back from work (from Sunday). I worked all day and most of the night so I didn't get to see any games at all. I won't be able to see the Monday night game either.
    Edited on 09/15/2008 3:57am

HelloStuart

[168]Sep 15, 2008
    elpaquilloloco wrote:

It looks like jokipper will win this week. that will place him in first place overall, tied with 123home123 with FinalSequel and me one game behind them.

So far I'm 7-7, but I feel pretty good about the Cowboys tonight.

Cubtracker

[169]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 20

Look for my Week 2 Awards tomorrow!!

simpsonian100

[170]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    I don't know my record, but I think it's around .500. What a crazy first two weeks! I guess next week I gotta pick some of these teams like Buffalo. I regret changing my pick for the Bengals/Titans game, after finding out Kerry Collins was starting. I always have that habit of picking against back-up quarterbacks, almost all the time. I hope nobody here did too well, because I'm already behind a lot of people!

tvfanatic91

[171]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 44
    Okay, I guess I did submit my picks for this week.But I forgot two games. Figures. But I have seven points so far and if Dallas wins I will have 8. That is better than having none again. If I somehow win this everyone should pay me $15 since I had 15 less picks.

FlyingHellfish

[172]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 53
    If you win, I'll PayPal you 15 cents.

And my wife calls me cheap.

123home123

[173]Sep 15, 2008
    How about 15 TV.com Bonus Points?

123home123

[174]Sep 15, 2008
    The Week 2 winner is jokipper with 11 points.

For the second week in a row, 11 points was enough to take the weekly crown. jokipper's performance has put him into a tie for the overall lead with me, 123home123, at 21 points on the season. El Paquillo Loco and Finalsequel are close behind with 20 points each. Most of the contestants are still within a few points of the top so keep posting those picks. The contest will probably be a see-saw battle all season long.

The deadline remains Fridays at 6 pm ET through the weekend ending Mon., Nov. 3. After that, the deadline will be on Wednesdays at 6 pm ET, beginning on Wed., Nov. 5. Be sure to post your picks for Week 3 as soon as possible. Post a preliminary set of picks right now and then edit them as necessary on Thursday night or Friday morning.

Week 2 Winner - jokipper
    Week 1 Winner - 123home123

SEASON STANDINGS

Entrant               Pts.

123home123 21
    jokipper 21
    El Paquillo Loco 20
    FinalSequel 20
    HelloStuart 19
    NY Brian 120 19
    T_Brennan 19
    Brandi1leigh 19
    Cubtracker 19
    fishzone 19
    RevBucky 19

Indiana Mom & Dad 18
    Madison1314 18
    lisagraham 18
    FlyingHellFish 16
    Simpsonian 100 16
    tuckgraph 15
    xboxliveguy 15
    Sherasbear 14
    fireballil 9
    Pikachu 2121 8
    tvfanatic91 8
    Edited on 09/15/2008 9:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jokipper

[175]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 50
    Week 2 turned out to be a very unusual week. Home teams went 6-9; home favorites went a pitiful 5-4, while road favorites went 5-1. On the season, home teams are 16-15; home favorites are 12-6 and road favorites are 9-4.

Week 3 will have only 2 or 3 road favorites. But it still looks to be a tough week, with only a few for-sure picks.

Good luck, everyone...and watch out for the underdogs!

Cubtracker

[176]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 20
    Who is this xboxliveguy? I'm trying to locate him to tell him about the award he's won this week and he seems nowhere to be found.

mp34mp

[177]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    jokipper wrote:
    Week 2 turned out to be a very unusual week. Home teams went 6-9; home favorites went a pitiful 5-4, while road favorites went 5-1. On the season, home teams are 16-15; home favorites are 12-6 and road favorites are 9-4.

Week 2 was a rough, rough week for the spread. Only 6 of the 15 teams covered the spread. Week 1 it was 11 of the 16 that covered.

mp34mp

[178]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    Cubtracker wrote:
    Who is this xboxliveguy? I'm trying to locate him to tell him about the award he's won this week and he seems nowhere to be found.

I'm not sure, but I bet there's an xbox involved

simpsonian100

[179]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 12

I won the Obama award this week, and the award for picking the Jets over the Patriots. I should feel good about myself, but I don't, considering how I'm around the bottom of the rankings. I'm only 5 points back; however, and I do get better as the season goes on.

On another note, I'm surprised at how many people picked the Chiefs over the Raiders. The Chiefs, to me, look like the worst team in the NFL this year.

123home123

[180]Sep 16, 2008
    I think it's because the Raiders have been so bad for so long that people naturally consider them to be one of the worst teams in the league. St. Louis is also looking really bad this year so I expect people to choose them in the tiebreaker often (least points scored in the week).