Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NBA Season

2012 Finals favorites?

pudgebyrd722

[61]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 51
    Hated missing the Celebrity All-Star Game last night, even if it was dominated by the East. But I saw Kevin Hart throwing his shoes after a "bad call," that was funny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[62]Mar 1, 2012
    • level: 63
    When Rose plays, the Bulls are excellent. When Rose is injured, they're very, very good. Gotta love the Bench Mob.

pudgebyrd722

[63]Mar 4, 2012
    After a 23-point fourth quarter lead was squandered down to 5, the Mavs hold on to beat the Jazz, 102-96 behind 40 from Dirk, to snap a four-game losing streak.

HelloStuart

[64]Mar 7, 2012
    I was looking at the standings earlier tonight, and seven teams in the Eastern Conference have winning percentages below .400. You have seven winning teams, the Knicks somewhere in the middle, than the other seven. I think it's pretty clear which teams are going to the playoffs in April.

drudager

[65]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 13
    Still? It seems like there's been an Eastern & Western conference imbalance in the NBA for a long time now. I can't explain it.

pudgebyrd722

[66]Mar 9, 2012
    A bunch of surprises this season. How about the T-Wolves two games over .500 and currently at the #8 seed in the West? Is that more surprising than the fact that the Memphis Grizzlies are the third seed!?

HelloStuart

[67]Mar 11, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    A bunch of surprises this season. How about the T-Wolves two games over .500 and currently at the #8 seed in the West? Is that more surprising than the fact that the Memphis Grizzlies are the third seed!?

The Wolves' breakthrough this year can be credited to the play of Ricky Rubio. His freewheeling, team-first attitude really galvanized an otherwise middling team; plus, he's been the second banana that K-Love has been clammering for. Alas, Rubio out for the rest of the year (and maybe more) with a bum ACL, and in the Wild West that translates to another lottery pick.

pudgebyrd722

[68]Mar 16, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

The Wolves' breakthrough this year can be credited to the play of Ricky Rubio. His freewheeling, team-first attitude really galvanized an otherwise middling team; plus, he's been the second banana that K-Love has been clammering for. Alas, Rubio out for the rest of the year (and maybe more) with a bum ACL, and in the Wild West that translates to another lottery pick.
    It's a shame. I don't think they'll derail completely, though. They won't make the playoffs but I bet they'll keep it a nail-biter until within the last few days of the season.

The trade deadline sees Marcus Camby and Derek Fisher land in Houston and Ramon Sessions head to L.A. as a Laker. Who are the winners/losers?

HelloStuart

[69]Mar 16, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

It's a shame. I don't think they'll derail completely, though. They won't make the playoffs but I bet they'll keep it a nail-biter until within the last few days of the season.

The trade deadline sees Marcus Camby and Derek Fisher land in Houston and Ramon Sessions head to L.A. as a Laker. Who are the winners/losers?

I knew Team Kobe was losing faith with an aging Fisher at PG, but wow...

HelloStuart

[70]Apr 15, 2012

Saints owner Tom Benson bought the woebegone Hornets last week, and there's speculation that he'll change the team name.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tom-benson-orleans-hornets-owner-change-team-name-224908070.html;_ylt=Aml8w_1azxAKsVJwT2ZQscO8vLYF

pudgebyrd722

[71]Apr 19, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

Saints owner Tom Benson bought the woebegone Hornets last week, and there's speculation that he'll change the team name.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tom-benson-orleans-hornets-owner-change-team-name-224908070.html;_ylt=Aml8w_1azxAKsVJwT2ZQscO8vLYF

Maybe if they change the Hornets' name, the Bobcats can takeover the "Hornets" name again and draw more people into Time Warner Cable Arena.

But seriously, the Bobcats have been a sad story this season. "AlternateBobcatsSlogans" was trending on Twitter last night. Some clever tweets included:

"Watch our games on Comedy Central."
    "We're the only NBA team with more 30-point losses (9) than wins! (7)"
    "You thought playing for the Wizards was Michael Jordan's biggest mistake... think again."
    "We're so good at sucking, Hoover's called us wanting tips on how to make a better vacuum."

drudager

[72]Apr 19, 2012
    Ugh, you just can't switch the names of sports franchises; it's totally bush-league. Sports mascot names are not an exact science, and there is no grave injustice of names like "Utah Jazz" or "New Orleans Hornets" or "L.A. Lakers". It's not fair to the fans who spent all that time & money invested into the teams & gear to have some outsider say "Oh, we don't like your team name, so we're changing it.". I wouldn't appreciate it if it was one of my teams. If the Hornets were going to change their name, they should have done it when they moved to New Orleans - but they didn't because the Hornets had brand recognition behind the name & wasn't some lame new expansion team. Quite frankly it sounds like to me Benson wants a piece of the huge cash grab that comes with new gear.

HelloStuart

[73]Apr 20, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    Ugh, you just can't switch the names of sports franchises; it's totally bush-league. Sports mascot names are not an exact science, and there is no grave injustice of names like "Utah Jazz" or "New Orleans Hornets" or "L.A. Lakers". It's not fair to the fans who spent all that time & money invested into the teams & gear to have some outsider say "Oh, we don't like your team name, so we're changing it.". I wouldn't appreciate it if it was one of my teams. If the Hornets were going to change their name, they should have done it when they moved to New Orleans - but they didn't because the Hornets had brand recognition behind the name & wasn't some lame new expansion team. Quite frankly it sounds like to me Benson wants a piece of the huge cash grab that comes with new gear.

I would ask Benson directly, but I'm afraid his coaches would put a bounty on me.

Open question: where do the 2011-12 Charlotte Bobcats rank amongst the all-time worst teams? (If this were a full season, "Them Kitties" would be on pace to finish 9-73.) Keep in mind that they were largely mediocre before the 18-games-and-counting schneid; their failure to win a game for five weeks threw them straight into historical oblivion. Personally, amongst teams I've watched I'd say the 1997-98 Nuggets and 2009-10 Nets were worse, but this year's 'Cats are up there.

drudager

[74]Apr 20, 2012
    I couldn't tell you who was the worst of the worst. All I know is 9-73 would match the 1972-73 76ers for all-time worst.

pudgebyrd722

[75]Apr 20, 2012
    I can't say who was worse only because I wasn't around for most cases besides the '09-'10 Nets and the 15-67 Heat of however many years ago it was.

The had a chance to end their 18-game losing streak today when they took an eight-point lead into the fourth when they hosted Memphis today, but were outscored 28-15 in the final period.

Kind of sums up their entire season.

They have a game at Washington but I don't see them winning vs. Sacramento or New York, or at Orlando.

HelloStuart

[76]Apr 21, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    I couldn't tell you who was the worst of the worst. All I know is 9-73 would match the 1972-73 76ers for all-time worst.

That Sixers team set the standard, but I was thinking in terms of teams in the last two decades. I guess the 1999-00 Bulls belong down there, too.

HelloStuart

[77]Apr 23, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

I would ask Benson directly, but I'm afraid his coaches would put a bounty on me.

Open question: where do the 2011-12 Charlotte Bobcats rank amongst the all-time worst teams? (If this were a full season, "Them Kitties" would be on pace to finish 9-73.) Keep in mind that they were largely mediocre before the 18-games-and-counting schneid; their failure to win a game for five weeks threw them straight into historical oblivion. Personally, amongst teams I've watched I'd say the 1997-98 Nuggets and 2009-10 Nets were worse, but this year's 'Cats are up there.

Wait! It gets worse!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wizards-hand-bobcats-21st-straight-012444086--nba.html;_ylt=AsOKcEP2XFQTWK5Z_BkvtUu8vLYF

HelloStuart

[78]Apr 27, 2012
    My first round playoff picks:

Chicago over Philadelphia in 5. The biggest mismatch in the quarterfinals. The Bulls are a team of destiny, the Sixers "think" they're cupcake compared to Miami.
    Miami over New York in 5. Another potentially ugly series. The Heat's Big 3 and strangling defense will be too much for Melo, Amare, etc.
    Indiana over Orlando in 5. The improved Pacers are already making T-shirts saying "No Superman? No problem!" The wounded Magic don't deserve to be here.
    Boston over Atlanta in 7. Finally, a real series! The Shamrocks' aging core will make a hard push against an inconsistent, uninspired Hawks squad.

San Antonio over Utah in 5. Yet another open-and-shut case. The Spurs have the deepest bench in the conference; they can beat the upstart Jazz with any possible combo.
    Oklahoma City over Dallas in 7. This could go either way. The Thunder will miss Harden but still have Durant, and an aging Mavs core would do anything for a second title.
    LA Lakers over Denver in 7. In my opinion this is the series to watch, and not because of the history. The Nuggets' O is ridiculous, but Kobe is Kobe.
    LA Clippers over Memphis in 6. The playoffs are where heroes are born, and it might be Blake Griffin's time to shine. Don't rule out the Grizzles if they learn how to rebound.

MajLorne

[79]Apr 27, 2012
    • level: 21
    I think they are all very accurate predictions especially for the east. Knicks, Magic, 76ers are lucky to be there, it would be an upset should any of them win their series.

For LA, it'll be interesting to see how the Staples center is going to accommodate all 3 teams playing in the same arena for a whole series each. Has this ever happened before? I can't remember there ever being an arena that has 3 different teams in the playoffs at the same time.

pudgebyrd722

[80]Apr 28, 2012

My First Round Picks

(1)Bulls over (8 )76ers in 5 games. Bulls take first and last two games.
    (2)Heat over (7)Knicks in 6 games. Home teams split the first four, Miami then wins out.
    (3)Pacers over (6)Magic in 6 games. Indiana will win but it won't be a walk in the park, even without Dwight Howard.
    (5)Hawks over (4)Celtics in 6 games. I like Atlanta and think they'll win. They'll manage a win in Game 1/2 then sweep Games 3, 4, & 6 at home.

(1)Spurs over (8 )Jazz in 5 games. Spurs take first and last two games.
    (2)Thunder over (7)Mavericks in 7 games. The home team wins every game.
    (3)Lakers over (6)Nuggets in 6 games. Denver will surprise by wining Game 1, but L.A. regains homecourt advantage with Game 3/4 win in Denver and ultimately go on to advance.
    (4)Grizzlies over (5)Clippers in 5 games. The Grizzlies will take the first three and finish it back home.

Edited on 04/28/2012 10:10am