Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NBA Season

2012 Finals favorites?

marvelfan89

[81]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 39

MajLorne wrote:
    I think they are all very accurate predictions especially for the east. Knicks, Magic, 76ers are lucky to be there, it would be an upset should any of them win their series. For LA, it'll be interesting to see how the Staples center is going to accommodate all 3 teams playing in the same arena for a whole series each. Has this ever happened before? I can't remember there ever being an arena that has 3 different teams in the playoffs at the same time.

Staples is a pretty small arena (been there lots of times), very easy for the crew there to switch it up.

Derrick Rose tears his ACL and most likely will not return, so the Bulls go from title contenders to being out of the title hunt.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[82]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 13
    Well that's the end of the Bulls with Rose's torn ACL.

pudgebyrd722

[83]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 51
    Horrible news, the Bulls will have trouble just getting out of the second round now against either Atlanta or Boston.

MajLorne

[84]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 21
    I agree, that's a terrible break (literally) for the Bulls.

HelloStuart

[85]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 63
    MajLorne wrote:
    I agree, that's a terrible break (literally) for the Bulls.

Terrible without a doubt, but the Bulls are not down for the count. Again, the Sixers aren't contenders and the Bulls are still deep enough to dispatch them in six games. I'm not as confident about the Hawks or Shamrocks, though.

MajLorne

[86]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 21
    Yeah, I do think the Bulls will still win the series, but if they face Miami, I have to say Miami becomes the overwhelming favs to win the East.
    I am surprised about the Celtics-Hawks. I would've figured even an aging Celtics team can handle the Hawks, I guess that wasn't the case here.

pudgebyrd722

[87]Apr 30, 2012
    Speaking of the Celtics/Hawks, Rajon Rondo is out for Game 2 due to his second altercation with a referee this season. Seriously, what was he thinking?

marvelfan89

[88]May 4, 2012

It wasn't much of a bump at all, he barely touched the referee, and that called for an ejection? Should have been a technical at best. It didn't seem to matter anyway as the Celtics won the game. In other news, the Thunder took a commanding 3-0 lead on the Mavs. The Mavs won't repeat as Nba champs. The Heat also took a 3-0 lead on injury filled Knicks.

Edited on 05/04/2012 8:45am

pudgebyrd722

[89]May 5, 2012
    I've gotten disgraced with the Mavericks. They're my favorite team, but their jumpshooting ways make me want to pull their eyes out. I admired their effort to drive and get to the free throw line in Game 2 but they didn't do any of that in Game 3, jacking up 3's and other long shots left and right. I'd rather OKC finish it in four to put me and Dallas out of their misery.

pudgebyrd722

[90]May 6, 2012
    "Eric Dampier" was trending on Tweeter during the Hawks/Celtics game. Funny thing is, his name is Erick.

HelloStuart

[92]May 10, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    "Eric Dampier" was trending on Tweeter during the Hawks/Celtics game. Funny thing is, his name is Erick.

It's a common misspelling. Take it from somebody that has to deal with "Stewart" half the time.

HelloStuart

[93]May 14, 2012
    My conference semifinal picks:

Miami over Indiana in 5. With D-Rose and the Bulls out of the picture, the Heat are the undisputed favorite in this conference. Danny Granger et al. will put up a fight, but all for naught.
    Boston over Philly in 6. The Sixers' democratic style played a better game than the critics will suggest. Alas, the Cinderella story will end against a very familiar, playoff-proven nemesis.
    San Antonio over LA Clippers in 6. After the Clips' erratic performance in the first round, it'll be a tall order to beat the deepest team in the league. Six games might be generous, who knows?
    Oklahoma City over LA Lakers in 7. The must-watch series in the bunch. Durant vs. Kobe is shaping up to be a nice little rivalry. Alas, OKC has their best years ahead of them, the Lakers don't.

pudgebyrd722

[94]May 15, 2012
    I still think Philadelphia has a chance to beat Boston in the series. They grabbed homecourt advantage with the Game 2 win in Boston, now they just have to win out at home but that's easier said than done of course.

I think the Pacers can take the Heat to 6 games at least, but I really hope someone takes out Miami. However, if the Heat got the Finals, I believe they'd run into a brick wall in San Antonio.

I say the Spurs over the Clippers in no more than 5. San Antonio got hot at the right time and even secured their 13th straight 50-win season despite the shortened year.

I think the Thunder will take the series in no more than 5 either. The Lakers will always be a tough out, despite what we saw last night, but I never viewed the Lakers as championship contenders in their first year without Phil Jackson.

marvelfan89

[95]May 15, 2012

and Philly is a younger team which always helps. Chris Bosh went down with an injury and is out indefinitely. The Heat are still in the title hunt, but this does take a bit of their edge off, and Pacers managed to steal Game 2 from them when both Wade and Lebron failed to close out the game.

Thunder had nine days of rest, and Lakers failed to close Denver when they had a 3-1 lead, so Thunder pretty much have the superior advantage here. If the Lakers had some rest, I might actually consider them contenders, but I don't even think it will go seven games, five games at best plus there are other things going on like Mike Brown is a lame duck head coach who fails at realizing the obvious-that he'll need to change the lineups in order to compete, and Gasol has been pretty soft this year-Both guys are likely to be done with the Lakers.

I do like the Clippers chances this year of going deep, but I think the Spurs will come out on top leading to either a Spurs/Heat finals matchup or Thunder/Heat matchup.

pudgebyrd722

[96]May 16, 2012
    On the day of Game 2, Andrew Bynum was fined $15,000 for not making himself available to the media following practice Tuesday and Devin Ebanks $25,000 after actions he made before and after his ejection in Game 1.

No one has mentioned LeBron's third MVP, which is pleasing.

Tonight's predictions, Philadelphia takes the series lead at home and OKC take a 2-0 lead to Hollywood.

pudgebyrd722

[97]May 21, 2012
    Spurs are my pick to win the Finals. This is the best they've ever played. Including the playoffs, 18 straight wins and two straight series sweeps. They'll likely play the Thunder, who could finish out their series with the Fakers today.

marvelfan89

[98]May 22, 2012

The league made sure the Lakers wouldn't go far this year when they nixed the Paul trade showing Stern's ability to be played like a fiddle by a few crybabies in the league. The Chunder beat a team in a transitional period which by itself is nothing to brag about. The big test will be the Spurs team which so far has looked unbeatable and looking to grab another title before Tim Duncan retires. In the same regard, the Spurs have only beat the Jazz and Clippers who were all pushovers.

Edited on 05/21/2012 11:04pm

HelloStuart

[99]May 23, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    My conference semifinal picks:

Miami over Indiana in 5. With D-Rose and the Bulls out of the picture, the Heat are the undisputed favorite in this conference. Danny Granger et al. will put up a fight, but all for naught.
    Boston over Philly in 6. The Sixers' democratic style played a better game than the critics will suggest. Alas, the Cinderella story will end against a very familiar, playoff-proven nemesis.
    San Antonio over LA Clippers in 6. After the Clips' erratic performance in the first round, it'll be a tall order to beat the deepest team in the league. Six games might be generous, who knows?
    Oklahoma City over LA Lakers in 7. The must-watch series in the bunch. Durant vs. Kobe is shaping up to be a nice little rivalry. Alas, OKC has their best years ahead of them, the Lakers don't.

I'll probably the get the teams right, but I was way off on my forecasting the semis. Heat/Pacers and Celts/Sixers will go seven games, while the Spurs and Thunder made quick work of their opponents.

HelloStuart

[100]May 27, 2012
    My conference finals picks:

San Antonio over Oklahoma City in 7. A brilliant all-around matchup: a well-rounded, fundamentally sound Spurs team against a young, fast, talented Thunder lineup. In other words, the NBA's answer to a heavyweight fight. No sweep, but I'll give the old-timers the edge.
    Miami over Boston in 5. After two brutal semifinal series the Celts look tired and weary, while the Heat seem to be reanimated "Terminator" style. Udonis Haslem needs to stop playing ugly and stupid. Otherwise, the Allen/Pierce/KG saga ends under the Florida sun.