Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NFL Season

pudgebyrd722

[82]Jan 14, 2012
    • level: 51
    Jeff Fisher will reportedly coach the Rams next year. Excited for St. Louis in 2012.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pudgebyrd722

[83]Jan 15, 2012
    Patriots finally get rid of Tebow and the Broncos, 45-10 behind Brady's record-tying six touchdown passes.

And the 49ers surprise [me, at least,] and beat the Saints, 36-32 after they had to rally twice within the last three minutes.

drudager

[84]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 13
    Ravens @ New England & New York Football Giants @ San Francisco. These two will definitely be better than the Super Bowl & without all the commercials, concerts & hype, and there's two of them! I think the Patriots will walk all over the Ravens & the 49ers/Giants game should be close. I'm sure the Networks want an Eli/Brady XLII rematch since neither Flacco or Smith have any instant recognition or marketing pizazz, and they would be happy with anybody but Baltimore since the other 3 are in the Top 10 in TV markets. Super Bowl (two words BTW people) droughts go as follows: Giants 4 years, Patriots 7 years, Ravens 11, 49ers 17 years.

drudager

[85]Jan 16, 2012
    Hmm, are we gonna get a 2012 MLB thread up soon? Pitchers & catchers start to report to Spring Training in about 33 days.

HelloStuart

[86]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 63
    The Green Bay Packers are embarrassed at home by a 9-7 Jints squad. Good riddance.

As for MLB 2012, I think I'll wait until later in the month to start that thread.

pudgebyrd722

[87]Jan 16, 2012
    I don't know what to predict anymore. I would like anything else than a Giants/Patriots rematch, but I personally think it'll be New York and Baltimore, a Super Bowl XXXV rematch.

And now four of the last five #1 seeds in the NFC have lost in the divisional round.

drudager

[88]Jan 21, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    The Green Bay Packers are embarrassed at home by a 9-7 Jints squad. Good riddance.

Look at that, using local lingo like "Jints" like a Manhattaner! You want some rusty sewer water in your pizza sauce on your crummy & floppy enormous plain slice??

I have to say, the Packers looked like total crap. And what was with that onside kick for no reason??

pudgebyrd722

[89]Jan 23, 2012
    Sigh.

I'm not looking forward to the Super Bowl at all.

drudager

[90]Jan 24, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Sigh.

So don't watch it! I'm not. You see so much pro-Super Bowl advertising that it'd be nice to see some boycotts or indifference towards the overly hyped game and their stupid commercials. I'm probably going to be watching "Conan" reruns or non-Simpsons Fox shows since it's on NBC.

pudgebyrd722

[91]Jan 24, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Sigh.

So don't watch it! I'm not. You see so much pro-Super Bowl advertising that it'd be nice to see some boycotts or indifference towards the overly hyped game and their stupid commercials. I'm probably going to be watching "Conan" reruns or non-Simpsons Fox shows since it's on NBC.
    It'll be hard to resist but I think I'm going to do it!

I wish there was another significant football league in America to follow. I was in to the UFL, but its future for 2012 still remains to be seen.

drudager

[92]Jan 25, 2012
    What about you, Stu? Can we get you to boycott the Super Bowl? Unless you have some kind of obligation or blog that you need to watch it.

HelloStuart

[93]Jan 25, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    What about you, Stu? Can we get you to boycott the Super Bowl? Unless you have some kind of obligation or blog that you need to watch it.

No obligation, but I'm still watching. It's not like this is the first Super Bowl matchup I wasn't anticipating. Whatever happens, happens.

pudgebyrd722

[94]Jan 29, 2012
    Ew. The Pro Bowl is a joke.

drudager

[95]Jan 30, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

No kidding. As is every other All Star Game in every sport. It's no surprise the ratings keep going lower and lower because nobody cares about it. The leagues just have made a farce out of them. The notion of league pride is non-existent, most players are well-compensated, the selection process is a joke with exemptions & mandatory team representatives, and online voting is nothing more than a popularity contest between the largest fan bases. Honestly, if they got rid of all 4 ASGs, I wouldn't bat an eye lash.

drudager

[96]Jan 30, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

No obligation, but I'm still watching. It's not like this is the first Super Bowl matchup I wasn't anticipating. Whatever happens, happens.

I take it you'll be multi-tasking, fiddling with a phone, going online and all that instead of watching it for 5 straight hours uninterrupted while completely sober? I couldn't imagine watching today's Super Bowl in the pre-Internet era.

pudgebyrd722

[97]Jan 31, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

No kidding. As is every other All Star Game in every sport. It's no surprise the ratings keep going lower and lower because nobody cares about it. The leagues just have made a farce out of them. The notion of league pride is non-existent, most players are well-compensated, the selection process is a joke with exemptions & mandatory team representatives, and online voting is nothing more than a popularity contest between the largest fan bases. Honestly, if they got rid of all 4 ASGs, I wouldn't bat an eye lash.
    I wouldn't either if the winner of the MLB All-Star Game didn't determine which side has homefield advantage in the World Series. Although C.J. Wilson lost the All-Star game anyway for the American League, I think the Rangers would of won the World Series with homefield advantage. I hate that something like that determines which team plays four games at home and the other plays those four on the road. We need to convert to just the normal better-record-holds-the-advantage.

drudager

[98]Feb 1, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

I wouldn't either if the winner of the MLB All-Star Game didn't determine which side has homefield advantage in the World Series. Although C.J. Wilson lost the All-Star game anyway for the American League, I think the Rangers would of won the World Series with homefield advantage. I hate that something like that determines which team plays four games at home and the other plays those four on the road. We need to convert to just the normal better-record-holds-the-advantage.

Bud Selig (the worst thing ever) decided that instead of improving the ASG to make people watch, he made it even more stupid. They used to just alternate home field advantage for the World Series between leagues each year (AL odd/NL even) since they couldn't be bothered with awarding it to the team w/ the better record. Playoff tickets are printed up in advance in like September, it's not like people can't adjust at a given notice. This, the TV blackout rules & DH (eliminating it) is where MLB is sorely lacking behind.

Still thinking about it, but I think the playoffs/WS needs to be adjusted so it's a 3-4 or 4-3 flow like the regular season with just 1 off day Best of 7 instead of this 2-3-2 crap. Oh and most definitely get rid of all divisions. They're a fallacy.

HelloStuart

[99]Feb 3, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    Still thinking about it, but I think the playoffs/WS needs to be adjusted so it's a 3-4 or 4-3 flow like the regular season with just 1 off day Best of 7 instead of this 2-3-2 crap. Oh and most definitely get rid of all divisions. They're a fallacy.

I wouldn't get rid of divisions altogether, just fewer of them. Two pennant races wouldn't be enough, but six or eight division races is overkill. Four works for me.

drudager

[100]Feb 3, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

I wouldn't get rid of divisions altogether, just fewer of them. Two pennant races wouldn't be enough, but six or eight division races is overkill. Four works for me.

Honestly, the most fair is no divisions. Even if you did split back into East & West, there's no guarantee that the top 2 teams in the league would be in each division every season. Hell the 2009 Texas Rangers would have made the playoffs but didn't, and the Twins & Tigers ended up playing a 163rd game which would had never happened had the Twins been in the West & the Tigers in the East. A little research project I've been doing has showed the flaws of the 3-division format since 1995 has been rather surprising, and would had changed many playoff match-ups.

pudgebyrd722

[101]Feb 5, 2012
    Tried but couldn't resist. The diehard sports fan inside me made me watch. But glad the Giants, if anybody, won, 21-17.

I used to hate all sports period exclamation point! Since I started watching the Super Bowl at age 11 in 2007, when the Colts beat my dad's hometown Bears, the teams I wanted to win (even if overall I hated both) are 4-2 including three straight victories.

My dad and I were making Super Bowl picks before the playoffs had begun and he had the Giants, saying "I don't know, that Manning always seems to get lucky."

...and now begins the offseason.

Super Bowl XLVII picks?