Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NFL Season

MajLorne

[102]Feb 5, 2012
    • level: 21
    Super Bowl 46 final score: Giants 21, Pats 17. Another win over the Pats! Bring on the parade, whoo!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[103]Feb 6, 2012
    • level: 13
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Tried but couldn't resist. The diehard sports fan inside me made me watch.

I resisted. Didn't look up the score until this morning. I'll watch pretty much any playoff game from any sport...BUT the Super Bowl. The fact that it's so universally popular makes it anti-hip. All the hype towards the commercials & halftime show makes it even more obscene & disingenuous.

pudgebyrd722

[104]Mar 10, 2012
    • level: 51
    Washington is trading four draft picks to the Rams for the second pick this year, likely to claim Robert Griffin III.

HelloStuart

[105]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 63
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Washington is trading four draft picks to the Rams for the second pick this year, likely to claim Robert Griffin III.

Sounds like a bad fit. As long as Snyder keeps burning money on the Skins, they're not going anywhere. Besides, who would RG3 throw to?

pudgebyrd722

[107]Mar 16, 2012
    That deal came just hours before the league reduced the Redskins' cap room by $36 million. (And the Cowboys by $10 million)

Meanwhile, the Rams signed Cortland Finnegan, and they ironically play the Texans in 2012-13. Rematch between Finnegan and Andre Johnson?

Speaking of the Texans, DE Mario Williams signs a 6-year deal with the Buffalo Bills.

HelloStuart

[108]Mar 16, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    That deal came just hours before the league reduced the Redskins' cap room by $36 million. (And the Cowboys by $10 million)

Meanwhile, the Rams signed Cortland Finnegan, and they ironically play the Texans in 2012-13. Rematch between Finnegan and Andre Johnson?

Speaking of the Texans, DE Mario Williams signs a 6-year deal with the Buffalo Bills.

The Bears signed Jason Campbell and Brandon Marshall. This gives the Monsters a proven backup QB (bye bye, Hanie) but whether we'll see "good Brandon" or "bad Brandon" remains to be seen.

Tosatsu

[109]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 6

Lots of big contracts going around, but Calvin Johnson got the biggest. He signed an 8-year $132 million deal that pretty much sticks him with the Lions until retirement.

MajLorne

[110]Mar 30, 2012
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the Tebow trade to the Jets. For Denver, I get that a chance to have Peyton be their QB is too big an opportunity to pass up, but the guy is 1 year removed from the game and it's still a risk to expect him to be the starter. At least Tebow could've been the 'safety net'. For the Jets, they already gave Sanchez a contract extension, and this will only lead to a conflict where Tebow is so 'popular' that Sanchez might cave under pressure if he fails and the fans are chanting for Tebow to take over. I don't think Tebow is better than Sanchez. Sanchez did lead the Jets to 2 strait AFC games falling short of getting to the Super Bowl, that's not bad for a 'kid'. Unless they make Tebow play another spot, I don't see how this trade makes any sense at all.

pudgebyrd722

[111]Mar 31, 2012
    I don't see the sense in making the trade at all although I feel Manning would still be a better choice right now. However, I don't see the Broncos having a better record than 10-6 or 9-7 even.

drudager

[112]Mar 31, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the Tebow trade to the Jets.

You answered your own question. Tebow is not news worthy. The fact that the Jets of all teams with Sanchez traded for him makes it that much stupider.

Tosatsu

[113]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 6

The whole trade to me makes no sense. Tebow should've gone to the Jaguars or Dolphins.

HelloStuart

[114]Apr 2, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:

You answered your own question. Tebow is not news-worthy. The fact that the Jets of all teams with Sanchez traded for him makes it that much stupider.

I'm with Dolph; Tebow is not a top-tier QB. Most of what happened last year was pure luck, and Jesus Boy was given too much credit. What this says about the Jets, I'm not sure.

HelloStuart

[115]Apr 2, 2012
    Also, once the draft (and Mel Kiper's pomade) rolls around I'll launch the "2012-13 NFL Season" thread.

drudager

[116]Apr 3, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:
    You answered your own question. Tebow is not news-worthy. The fact that the Jets of all teams with Sanchez traded for him makes it that much stupider.
    I'm with Dolph; Tebow is not a top-tier QB. Most of what happened last year was pure luck, and Jesus Boy was given too much credit. What this says about the Jets, I'm not sure.

I'm still waiting for that openly Satan-loving NFL player or professional athlete. There has to be at LEAST one.

player to news reporter: "I'm sorry I'm not a role model - I guess I was just too busy worshiping Satan!"

drudager

[118]Apr 19, 2012

Steelers throwbacks (mind you, not really accurate per se, around 1933 or 34-ish) came out yesterday. "Boggling" comes to mind. Evidence suggests the number boxes should be yellow / Athletic Gold & not white. It certainly is different, I'll give it that.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/80th-Season-Throwback-Uniform---4-17/ad65d41e-3b56-4fd7-ae4a-f19aa1132d75#41912e9b-a5a3-48b4-8354-e7986d1cd328

HelloStuart

[119]Apr 20, 2012

drudager wrote:

Steelers throwbacks (mind you, not really accurate per se, around 1933 or 34-ish) came out yesterday. "Boggling" comes to mind. Evidence suggests the number boxes should be yellow / Athletic Gold & not white. It certainly is different, I'll give it that.

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/photo-gallery/80th-Season-Throwback-Uniform---4-17/ad65d41e-3b56-4fd7-ae4a-f19aa1132d75#41912e9b-a5a3-48b4-8354-e7986d1cd328

From what I heard, James Harrison hates them. They remind me of a bee costume.

Edited on 04/20/2012 12:38pm

pudgebyrd722

[120]Apr 26, 2012
    The Pro Bowl is likely to be suspended starting in 2013.

MajLorne

[121]Jun 10, 2012
    Good. Who watches that game anyway? Not everyone's playing since you have 2 teams that can't have players there as they are playing in the SB.

I have to agree with the both of you on Tebow, but as mediocre as he is, is it a smart thing to rely on a Peyton Manning 1 yr removed from the game and not at 100%. That's a risky choice to make and could come back to haunt the Broncos.