Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NHL/Minor League Hockey Thread

HelloStuart

[1]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 63

Is it too late to start a hockey thread for the season? I certainly don't think so...

As happy as I am that Winnipeg has a team, they won't be winning for a long time. Dustin Byfuglien has talent, but a) Big Buff just isn't the type of player you build a team around and b) he often just circles around the ice doing nothing, like he's two steps behind everybody else.

Raise your hand if you thought Davis Payne would be sacked so quickly. It's not his fault the Blues are in near-constant rebuilding mode; Erik Johnson never recovered from the golf cart incident and others will be purged soon. Good luck to Ken Hitchcock, though.

Meanwhile, I gotta hand it to the new-look Hawks: this is what happens when you sign unrestricted free agents, and not overpay to boot. Did you hear that, Dale Tallon?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Nov 21, 2011
    So... any thoughts on the return of Sidney Crosby?

pudgebyrd722

[3]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 51
    Eh. The Stars got off to a good 11-3 start but went on a 5-game losing streak. They beat the Oilers in their last game, though, 4-1 to get back on the winning trail, but not are 2nd in the division behind the Sharks.

drudager

[4]Nov 23, 2011
    • level: 13

HelloStuart wrote:
    So... any thoughts on the return of Sidney Crosby?

You mean the dirty cheap-shot artist?

Everybody rest easy with hockey - unless your team is beyond awful, they will make the playoffs. They should really shorten the season by 10 to 20 games so there's no playoffs in June.

pudgebyrd722

[5]Nov 26, 2011
    Stars with their first overtime/shootout loss of the season last night against Toronto at least gets them to 25 points for the season and a record of 12-8-1 I believe.

drudager

[6]Dec 10, 2011

As for the Maple Leafs, two of Canada's largest telecommunications companies together bought a 75-percent stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. Two supposedly fiercely direct rivals & competitors merging. Could you imagine Coke & Pepsi buying a sports franchise together?? Tho that's how it is these days - everybody owns everybody.

From what I've read, this seems like a huge opportunist media plan. In other words, more specific sports programming, all the modern media options, whatever related business interests and of course higher cable rates, fees and costs for fans which seems more like a business deal than a genuine investing sports interest. Tho it is Canada's version of the Yankees, even if they haven't won since 1967.

pudgebyrd722

[7]Dec 11, 2011
    Stars beat the Kings, 2-1, improving to 16-11-1, and now are tied with the Coyotes for first place in the Pacific Division with 33 points.

HelloStuart

[8]Dec 12, 2011
    drudager wrote:

From what I've read, this seems like a huge opportunist media plan. In other words, more specific sports programming, all the modern media options, whatever related business interests and of course higher cable rates, fees and costs for fans which seems more like a business deal than a genuine investing sports interest. Though it is Canada's version of the Yankees, even if they haven't won since 1967.

Well, English Canada, anyway. Don't tell the Habs you said that.

drudager

[9]Dec 12, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

From what I've read, this seems like a huge opportunist media plan. In other words, more specific sports programming, all the modern media options, whatever related business interests and of course higher cable rates, fees and costs for fans which seems more like a business deal than a genuine investing sports interest. Though it is Canada's version of the Yankees, even if they haven't won since 1967.

Well, English Canada, anyway. Don't tell the Habs you said that.

The Habs haven't won since what, 1992-93? Plus the Leafs are winning the arms race $521M to $445M, which is likely to go even higher.

pudgebyrd722

[10]Dec 14, 2011
    Stars over the Rangers, 1-0 in the Big Apple. Dallas didn't score until there was five minutes left in the game, and held on for the victory, improving to 18-11-1.

HelloStuart

[11]Dec 14, 2011
    My Blackhawks (specifically, Kaner) beat the Wild in a shootout tonight, 4-3. We now have 42 points and lead our division by a decent margin.

Meanwhile, what's up with the Kings?

pudgebyrd722

[12]Dec 15, 2011
    Hmm, the Stars lead their division with 35 points, the fewest by a division leader in the NHL. If this held, the Stars would have a top seed in the playoffs, but if division winners meant nothing, Dallas would be sixth in the conference.

HelloStuart

[13]Dec 19, 2011
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Hmm, the Stars lead their division with 35 points, the fewest by a division leader in the NHL. If this held, the Stars would have a top seed in the playoffs, but if division winners meant nothing, Dallas would be sixth in the conference.

Next year it'll be mini-conferences (cringe, shudder).

pudgebyrd722

[14]Dec 19, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

How could this possibly of been approved? I don't see the problem in just putting Winnipeg in the Central Division and putting Columbus, the easternmost Western Conference team, in the Southeast Division. (Columbus, Ohio would be farther south than any team in any other conference. (barely more south than the Penguins and Flyers)

This is an outrage.

drudager

[15]Dec 20, 2011
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

How could this possibly of been approved? I don't see the problem in just putting Winnipeg in the Central Division and putting Columbus, the easternmost Western Conference team, in the Southeast Division. (Columbus, Ohio would be farther south than any team in any other conference. (barely more south than the Penguins and Flyers)

This is an outrage.

Maybe to younger hockey fans. But this is the NHL going old school and small divisions don't work very well due to geography. No alignment is perfect, but this new one does fix a lot of problems. It doesn't make any sense to have teams east of the Mississippi playing in the Western Conference with all those late 9pm/10pm starting times. Plus they got the balance out the schedule so everyone has a much more fair travel schedule & rivalries will be renewed & strengthened with the balanced schedule. Trust me, they screwed up the NHL back into 1990s with all that realignment and needless expansion. Just be happy the Stars are in a conference with Central & Eastern Time Zone teams as opposed to West Coast & Mountain. Plus mini-conference playoffs is retro & stresses the importance of the balanced schedule even more so.

drudager

[16]Dec 20, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

You mean, "mmm, good". There is no bigger fallacy in sports leagues than small divisions. It's just some stupid concept made by the Man to make himself feel important & some turd to make tidy divisions to sell T-shirts & hats.

Look at the NFL and their 4-team division crap. How many better record teams have stayed home? We've had 11-win teams (2008 ) stay home while 8-8 ones in the same conference go to the playoffs - it makes a complete mockery of the schedule. Don't fret about playoffs in hockey - unless you're REALLY bad, you'll make the playoffs. Ridiculous. 53% of the teams makes the playoffs and seeds really don't mean much.

Edited on 12/20/2011 3:16am

pudgebyrd722

[17]Dec 20, 2011
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

This is an outrage.

Maybe to younger hockey fans. But this is the NHL going old school and small divisions don't work very well due to geography. No alignment is perfect, but this new one does fix a lot of problems. It doesn't make any sense to have teams east of the Mississippi playing in the Western Conference with all those late 9pm/10pm starting times. Plus they got the balance out the schedule so everyone has a much more fair travel schedule & rivalries will be renewed & strengthened with the balanced schedule. Trust me, they screwed up the NHL back into 1990s with all that realignment and needless expansion. Just be happy the Stars are in a conference with Central & Eastern Time Zone teams as opposed to West Coast & Mountain. Plus mini-conference playoffs is retro & stresses the importance of the balanced schedule even more so.
    I understand. So I read an article on the new alignment and how everything would be set up. Would the winner of "Division/Conference A" face the winner of "Division/Conference C" or did I read that wrong?

drudager

[18]Dec 20, 2011
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    So I read an article on the new alignment and how everything would be set up. Would the winner of "Division/Conference A" face the winner of "Division/Conference C" or did I read that wrong?

Basically, the seeds will be numbered 1-4 each within A, B, C & D conferences (so no more of this 1 vs. 8 crap), and then the winner of each conference playoff will be A vs. B, C vs. D, and then the Finals. I'm sure they'll have some hockey names again for the conferences, which would be cool.

HelloStuart

[19]Dec 24, 2011
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    So I read an article on the new alignment and how everything would be set up. Would the winner of "Division/Conference A" face the winner of "Division/Conference C" or did I read that wrong?

Basically, the seeds will be numbered 1-4 each within A, B, C & D conferences (so no more of this 1 vs. 8 crap), and then the winner of each conference playoff will be A vs. B, C vs. D, and then the Finals. I'm sure they'll have some hockey names again for the conferences, which would be cool.

I'll give you that. They better bring back the Campbell and PoW names.

drudager

[20]Dec 25, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

I'll give you that. They better bring back the Campbell and PoW names.

I'm sure they'll do a variation of them (tho Conference A,B, C & D just sounds so damn scholastically COOL ) I just hope don't do it after any deceased players with known substance abuse problems or concussions (e.g. Probert) because we don't need a constant reminder of that.