Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NHL/Minor League Hockey Thread

 
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [21]Jan 3, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    Here's an article about the near future of the NHL:


    http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/_news/news_429282.php


    6 of the top 7 ticket revenue teams were Canadian, signs point that the Phoenix Coyotes will be moving no matter; Canada will most likely get another team in Southern Ontario / talk of a 2nd Toronto team, if not a few more, and the most obvious of all: 1990s expansion in southern U.S. markets is a failure. Honestly the NHL needs to contract a few teams & as much as I hate America losing jobs, they need to move the teams from the U.S. to Canada where the sport belongs. You just don't put a winter sport in a summer region.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [22]Jan 4, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    drudager wrote:
    I'm sure they'll do a variation of them (tho Conference A,B, C & D just sounds so damn scholastically COOL ) I just hope don't do it after any deceased players with known substance abuse problems or concussions (e.g. Probert) because we don't need a constant reminder of that.

    Ha! They're probably more likely to name conferences after failed first round draft picks (the Patrick Stefan Conference, Ryan Sittler, Pat Falloon, etc.).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jack1420

    jack1420

    [23]Jan 21, 2012
    • member since: 11/29/11
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 13

    Hi Friends,
    I like the outdoor games such as football, Baseball, Basketball and Tennis. I watch all the sports games and when it comes to Hockey i watch hockey online and its really good to watch players playing and also feels better. By watching hockey i came to know many things about it like rules and how to play? much more.



    http://www.livetvportal.com/watch-hockey-online/

    Edited on 01/21/2012 9:05am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [24]Jan 21, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    jack1420 wrote:

    Hi Friends,
    I like the outdoor games such as football, Baseball, Basketball and Tennis. I watch all the sports games and when it comes to Hockey i watch hockey online and its really good to watch players playing and also feels better. By watching hockey i came to know many things about it like rules and how to play? much more.



    You said it, Friend! Last night at the pub I had almost 7 litres of booze! Passed out & almost had to end up in emergency room hospital! Many times more! Hockey makes me drink much more booze than pleasured. I suppose I should call doctor but I just had pleasure. Hockey is good sport.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [25]Jan 24, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    If we need more proof that Alex Ovechkin is a prima donna: first #8 is suspended three games for a blatant cheap shot in Sunday's Pens-Caps game, than he opts out of the All-Star Game for no discernible reason. With that attitude, no wonder he hasn't won a Cup yet; he's like the LeBron of hockey.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [26]Mar 1, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041

    No posts in five weeks? We need to get this thread back on track. Here's some thoughts on the NHL trade deadline:


    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AqDyOQZNBAni8SycpwzHNi97vLYF?slug=nc-trade-deadline-winners-losers-predators-022712

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [27]Mar 8, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Looked at the NHL standings today. What's really glaring (and what I don't like) is how the #3 seeds are division leaders that should be way further down. #3 Florida should be #8 with its 74 points, and #3 Dallas should be #7 with its 77 and hell, neither of these teams could end up making playoffs, too. Divisions are SO stupid & a fallacy, and they serve no point other than to sell T-shirts, caps & a scheduling quirk. I don't know how anybody can defend divisions at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [28]Mar 11, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    drudager wrote:
    Looked at the NHL standings today. What's really glaring (and what I don't like) is how the #3 seeds are division leaders that should be way further down. #3 Florida should be #8 with its 74 points, and #3 Dallas should be #7 with its 77 and hell, neither of these teams could end up making playoffs, too. Divisions are SO stupid & a fallacy, and they serve no point other than to sell T-shirts, caps & a scheduling quirk. I don't know how anybody can defend divisions at all.

    Lucky for you, it's all being scrapped after June.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [29]Mar 12, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    Looked at the NHL standings today. What's really glaring (and what I don't like) is how the #3 seeds are division leaders that should be way further down. #3 Florida should be #8 with its 74 points, and #3 Dallas should be #7 with its 77 and hell, neither of these teams could end up making playoffs, too. Divisions are SO stupid & a fallacy, and they serve no point other than to sell T-shirts, caps & a scheduling quirk. I don't know how anybody can defend divisions at all.
    Lucky for you, it's all being scrapped after June.
    *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*


    You didn't see this, did you?


    NHL: Realignment plan put on hold The NHL announced Friday that it won't go ahead with realignment in 2012-13 because it says the players association won't agree to the new format. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-01-06/nhl-realignment-delayed/52420178/1

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [30]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    drudager wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    Looked at the NHL standings today. What's really glaring (and what I don't like) is how the #3 seeds are division leaders that should be way further down. #3 Florida should be #8 with its 74 points, and #3 Dallas should be #7 with its 77 and hell, neither of these teams could end up making playoffs, too. Divisions are SO stupid & a fallacy, and they serve no point other than to sell T-shirts, caps & a scheduling quirk. I don't know how anybody can defend divisions at all.
    Lucky for you, it's all being scrapped after June.
    *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*


    You didn't see this, did you?


    NHL: Realignment plan put on hold The NHL announced Friday that it won't go ahead with realignment in 2012-13 because it says the players association won't agree to the new format. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-01-06/nhl-realignment-delayed/52420178/1


    Holy crap! That must've slipped my radar. In a just world, this means the Jets' ownership will finally bite the bullet and switch conferences with Nashville. It's ridiculous that the Caps, Panthers, Canes, and Bolts have to fly nearly 2,000 miles to face a divisional rival (and vice versa).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [31]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Holy crap! That must've slipped my radar. In a just world, this means the Jets' ownership will finally bite the bullet and switch conferences with Nashville. It's ridiculous that the Caps, Panthers, Canes, and Bolts have to fly nearly 2,000 miles to face a divisional rival (and vice versa).


    It's total crap that they didn't approve this. No realignment plan was going to be perfect for everyone. There's always some greedy club who has to complain about something & ruin it for everyone. 2012-13 at the earliest now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [32]Apr 10, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    PLAYOFF TIME! Here are my conference quarterfinal picks:

    NY Rangers over Ottawa in 6. The Sens have the best defenseman in the league in Erik Karlsson, but Henrik Lundqvist is a lights-out, shutdown goalie. Expect lots of mediocre power-play action.
    Boston over Washington in 5. All potential and nothing to show for it, the Caps and their lack of work ethic backed into the #7 seed. A piece of cake for the injury-plagued B's.
    New Jersey over Florida in 6. These Panthers are a motley, lovable bunch of journeymen, but their goal differential is pathetic. Also, Martin Brodeur. Pete DeBoer gets his revenge.
    Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 7. The series to watch. Flyers fans think of Consol Energy Center as Wells Fargo West; the Pens have a kajillion scoring threats.

    Vancouver over Los Angeles in 5. The Kings are the worst offensive team in the playoffs. Even with Danny Sedin on the DL, the 'Nucks still pack a punch. A typical youth versus experience matchup.
    St. Louis over San Jose in 5. The Sharks are the hockey version of the '90s Atlanta Braves, and they won't get over the hump in '12 against a Blues team loaded with depth, pace, and structure.
    Chicago over Phoenix in 7. The scrappy Coyotes are the feel-good story of the year, but they've never won a playoff series in the desert. The Hawks have a narrow edge if Crawford and Emery get their act together.
    Nashville over Detroit in 6. The Preds aren't used to high expectations, yet they face a top-heavy Wings team that can't win on the road and have question marks on special teams. Hmm...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [33]Apr 19, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Holy crap...

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-rout-flyers-10-3-023059450--nhl.html

    Penguins had 9 after two periods.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [34]Apr 19, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    The scrappy Coyotes are the feel-good story of the year...


    Not anymore, they're not. That dirty hit on Hossa only proved how crooked & lousy the officiating is in the NHL.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [35]Apr 20, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    The scrappy Coyotes are the feel-good story of the year...


    Not anymore, they're not. That dirty hit on Hossa only proved how crooked and lousy the officiating is in the NHL.


    Torres has always been a thug. You're right about the officiating, though. How is it possible that one team sets up the hit, but the other gets penalized? Brendan Shanahan is in over his head.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [36]Apr 26, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,445
    Friggin finally, the Rangers beat the Senators in 7 and move on to round 2. I thought it was never going to end. It woulve been so embarrassing had they lost after locking up the 2nd best record in the league to lose to an 8th seed. Bruins lose, not surprising, they had several injuries and didn't look like they were going to get far.

    o/t: why is it everytime i click on the sports link, to get to this subforum, I get redirected to sportsnight? Someone needs to fix that glitch.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [37]Apr 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Because Sportsnight is a comedy that's too good to be funny. Probably because only like 3 people ever post here. I've always clicked on "Forums" then "Sports" to get here. I've tried my post history but that always wasn't reliable either.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [38]Apr 27, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    Man, that was a crazy, physical first round. As a Hawks fan, I'm disappointed again but at least Raffi Torres got his just desserts. Meanwhile, who expected Vancouver to fold like that? On to the semis!

    St. Louis over Los Angeles in 7. The Blues' top line needs to make a bigger impact. This is a real test for a young, feisty Kings squad. Expect an all-defense, low-scoring epic.
    Phoenix over Nashville in 6. A contest of hot goalies in non-traditional hockey markets. The Preds' special teams is the X-factor. Somebody has to win this series, right?
    New York over Washington in 7. An interesting reversal of fortune. Vezina/Hart contender King Henrik should hold his own against young, unproven Braden Holtby and the Caps' big guns.
    New Jersey over Philadelphia in 6. You have to love a good divisional rivalry. The Flyers' battered D against the Devils' top-heavy offense. Never bet against Brodeur, though.

    Finally, a fun fact: the four remaining West teams have combined for one Stanley Cup appearance since 1971 and zero all-time championships.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [39]Apr 27, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,445

    That is an interesting fact. It's almost like a total reverse where the NHL East is the tougher side compared to how in the NBA it's usually the West that's tougher.


    drudager wrote:
    Because Sportsnight is a comedy that's too good to be funny. Probably because only like 3 people ever post here. I've always clicked on "Forums" then "Sports" to get here. I've tried my post history but that always wasn't reliable either.
    Same here, but I always get directed to Sportsnite and then when I go back and click the 'sports' link I get to here. I'm wondering if this was intentional or some weird glitch with this place.

    Edited on 04/27/2012 11:29am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [40]Apr 29, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,041
    MajLorne wrote:

    That is an interesting fact. It's almost like a total reverse where the NHL East is the tougher side compared to how in the NBA it's usually the West that's tougher.


    drudager wrote:
    Because Sportsnight is a comedy that's too good to be funny. Probably because only like 3 people ever post here. I've always clicked on "Forums" then "Sports" to get here. I've tried my post history but that always wasn't reliable either.

    Same here, but I always get directed to Sportsnite and then when I go back and click the 'sports' link I get to here. I'm wondering if this was intentional or some weird glitch with this place.


    It's a weird glitch, without a doubt. The CNet techies have "fixed" this three times now.

    Also, I nearly forgot that the Devils/Flyers series is a rekindling of the Jagr vs. Brodeur rivalry. Both men were first round picks in 1990, own five combined Cups, and they're still surviving the NHL grind.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.