We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Forums: Sports: 2011-12 NHL/Minor League Hockey Thread

HelloStuart

[41]May 13, 2012
    • level: 63
    Hey, I got three out of four right! Onward, conference finals!

I predict Los Angeles over Phoenix and the Rangers over New Jersey, both in seven games.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[42]May 13, 2012
    • level: 13
    They're still playing hockey? It's basically Summer.

HelloStuart

[43]May 27, 2012
    For the Stanley Cup, I'm predicting Los Angeles over New Jersey in five games. The Devils will give LA a bigger fight than the Rangers ever could, but the Kings are proven giant-killers. Let's face it, the Brown-Kopitar combo is just too much.

MajLorne

[44]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 21
    Current update: Kings leading 3-2 with the Devils gaining a slight momentum. I gave up caring when the Rangers got bounced. However: wtf is NBC thinking in not airing the Finals on its main channel? How many people even know or have the NBC sports channel (formerly Versus)? It's the summer, so what new programming is there to interrupt and being NBC, what show is so important that it can't get interrupted? If I wasn't in NYC where I have most of the channels and the Rangers were still playing, I'd be very upset I can't watch these games because they're on some'obscure' channel.

HelloStuart

[45]Jun 11, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:
    Current update: Kings leading 3-2 with the Devils gaining a slight momentum. I gave up caring when the Rangers got bounced. However: wtf is NBC thinking in not airing the Finals on its main channel? How many people even know or have the NBC sports channel (formerly Versus)? It's the summer, so what new programming is there to interrupt and being NBC, what show is so important that it can't get interrupted? If I wasn't in NYC where I have most of the channels and the Rangers were still playing, I'd be very upset I can't watch these games because they're on some 'obscure' channel.

Even though the Kings are a "big market" team, they lack the devoted fan base of a city like Chicago, New York, or even Detroit. I'll bet a lot of Los Angelenos had no idea they had an NHL team until last week, let alone 45 years. Also, there's no indicator that hockey has brought boffo numbers to NBC. It's a tragedy, but it's the business.

MajLorne

[46]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 21
    True about that. And the season comes to an end with the Kings in a land slide victory. Kings takes the series 4-2 and I guess the riots must be a Lakers thing

drudager

[47]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 13
    Total apathy in LA. The only ice you'll ever see there is in a fruit smoothie.

HelloStuart

[48]Jun 14, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    Total apathy in LA. The only ice you'll ever see there is in a fruit smoothie.

Or on a street corner in South Central.