Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

HelloStuart

[1]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 63

We still have three weeks until pitchers and catchers report, but I think it's high time we started the annual MLB thread.

So who will make a greater impact on their new team: The Machine in Anaheim or The Prince in Motown?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pudgebyrd722

[2]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 51

Unfortunately I think it will be Pujols in Aneheim. Oh God, I hope he isn't going to be another Vladimir Guerrero for the Rangers.

On a side note, the White Sox will wear their 1972 throwback uniforms for their thirteen Sunday games at home. These jerseys had red pinstripes, numbers, and names.

Edited on 01/25/2012 5:20pm

drudager

[3]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 13
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

On a side note, the White Sox will wear their 1972 throwback uniforms for their thirteen Sunday games at home. These jerseys had red pinstripes, numbers, and names.

Technically, those home uni's didn't have NOB (names on back), tho I'm pretty sure these will. And they probably won't wear red stirrups with the old Sox logo on them either but solid red socks (blah). If your team name is the White Sox, you should wear WHITE socks.

drudager

[4]Jan 26, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

We still have three weeks until pitchers and catchers report, but I think it's high time we started the annual MLB thread.

So who will make a greater impact on their new team: The Machine in Anaheim or The Prince in Motown?

"high time"? What is that, a Tim Lincecum reference??

Well, both guys are starting over in new leagues, both divisions have a bandbox ballpark but the rest are all pitcher havens & will be facing new pitching. But I'd go with Pujols only because he's that's much better.

drudager

[5]Jan 26, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

Unfortunately I think it will be Pujols in Aneheim. Oh God, I hope he isn't going to be another Vladimir Guerrero for the Rangers.

What does that mean?

pudgebyrd722

[6]Jan 26, 2012

drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:

What does that mean?
    I'm saying I hope Pujols doesn't replace Guerrero in Anaheim against Texas. Vladimir batted .395 against Texas in 87 games as an Angel vs. the Rangers. He hit 22 homers, 29 doubles, and drove in 63 runs. He also had a 44-game hitting streak against the team from 2004 to 2006.Undecided

Edited on 01/26/2012 3:51pm

HelloStuart

[7]Jan 28, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

No, Josh Hamilton circa 2002.

drudager

[8]Jan 30, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

No, Josh Hamilton circa 2002.

Ouch! I'm a little curious on why the Giants settled on a whopping $40.5M for only 2 years instead of taking him to arbitration. I don't see how he could have gotten more than $20M a year but it still seems outrageous.

Now if you had to choose between an unproven Japanese pitcher, a former drug addict prone to relapse or a totally out of shape fatass 1st baseman, who would you choose? I honestly would avoid all 3. It's not something I would want to spend $20M+ a year on.

HelloStuart

[9]Feb 3, 2012

Speaking of Hambone relapsing...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Timing-of-Josh-Hamilton-reported-relapse-could-cost-him-millions-in-contract-negotiations-with-Texas-Rangers-020212

pudgebyrd722

[10]Feb 3, 2012
    I wonder what sort of family crisis occurred prior to this relapse.

drudager

[11]Feb 6, 2012
    Spring Training less than two weeks away! It's just around the corner!

HelloStuart

[12]Feb 8, 2012

Here is a great article on the worst free-agent signings of the 2011-12 offseason. I partially disagree about #9; even though we overspent on Chen, he's as close to a consistent veteran starter as we can get. Sure, Chen is 35 and he doesn't eat innings, but he's lights out in the first three frames of any ballgame he pitches. However, he is most certainly expendable once Duffy, Montgomery, et al. get the hang of things.

Edited on 02/08/2012 11:03pm

HelloStuart

[13]Mar 1, 2012
    Would anyone be interested in joining the TV.com fantasy baseball league at Yahoo? PM me ASAP if you want in.

drudager

[14]Mar 3, 2012
    No mention of Braun beating his suspension based on a technicality? You know I wanted him to be clean/cleared, but not like that. Blaming the positive test on a slight mishandling of protocol by a respected & experienced tester is a cheap last-ditch lawyer tactic. And we still have no idea what triggered the results of that test. The fact that the news got leaked in the first place when it never should have is extremely appalling.

drudager

[15]Mar 3, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

Here is a great article on the worst free-agent signings of the 2011-12 offseason. I partially disagree about #9; even though we overspent on Chen, he's as close to a consistent veteran starter as we can get. Sure, Chen is 35 and he doesn't eat innings, but he's lights out in the first three frames of any ballgame he pitches. However, he is most certainly expendable once Duffy, Montgomery, et al. get the hang of things.

I honestly wonder if that writer actually watched any of those FA's on a regular basis. It's basically a given that any A.L. pitcher moves to the N.L. & has a much easier time, and that writer just basically says a generic prediction for player declines of "I don't see it happening". Plus we have no idea how the new Marlins ballpark will work for pitchers, tho my initial guess is it's a pitcher's park & dimensions from left to right it's 344', 386', 422', 392', 335' & favors deadpull lefty hitters.

HelloStuart

[16]Mar 4, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    No mention of Braun beating his suspension based on a technicality? You know I wanted him to be clean/cleared, but not like that. Blaming the positive test on a slight mishandling of protocol by a respected & experienced tester is a cheap last-ditch lawyer tactic. And we still have no idea what triggered the results of that test. The fact that the news got leaked in the first place when it never should have is extremely appalling.

Maybe the piss was bungled, who knows? There will be a legal battle for sure.

pudgebyrd722

[17]Mar 4, 2012
    In regards to the extra wild card, I'd rather have a best-of-three and a 1-2 format, or don't even call it a playoffs if the other team isn't even guaranteed a home game.

drudager

[18]Mar 4, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    In regards to the extra wild card, I'd rather have a best-of-three and a 1-2 format, or don't even call it a playoffs if the other team isn't even guaranteed a home game.

This whole extra Wild Card thing is stupid as hell. You got your 6 division winners playing 162 games to make the playoffs, while you got your 4 Wild Cards playing 163 games to make the playoffs. Also now ties will be decided on the field rather than by head-to-head match-ups, delaying the playoffs even more. What it is Selig getting greedy & trying to make as many one-playoff match-ups as possible, and to get more people into the ballpark in late September - but that is only moving the excitement of the races down the standings since the once-lone Wild Card will have its slot locked up. Plus it's total b.s. that an even crappier team will be allowed to compete in the postseason & punishes the first Wild Card team. What's the point of playing 162 games, then? Like the season wasn't already long enough already.

Why is it that people hate baseball and hate baseball traditionalists & purists? What is it that bothers them so much that the fewest teams make the postseason & thus the regular season has the most integrity? For 120+ years baseball didn't let a 2nd place team in the playoffs, and now they're allowing a potential THIRD place team in. What are they trying to do, make the playoffs a joke like in the NHL & NBA? It's all driven by money & the Networks to protect the largest markets (whom are the most likely to make the playoffs) and make sure Boston, Yankees, Angels & Phillies are always in the playoffs. Who would have the extreme advantage of a 1-game playoff? That's right - a very large market team with a bonafide free agent / ace pitcher whom somehow didn't win their division that season. It just reeks of b.s.

drudager

[19]Mar 4, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

Maybe the piss was bungled, who knows? There will be a legal battle for sure.

Let's say the tester did spike the results. What was his motivation? Why Braun of all people? Was he going to be suspended during the playoffs? Braun himself said the collecting of the piss was fine, right? So what was the deal here? Did he juice, or did he know a positive result was coming based on what he did, and decided by the advice of a lawyer to get freed from it on a technicality? Still seems like a last-ditch effort to me. It's like, "you know you will be suspended, but if you really didn't WANT to be, there is a way out of it". It's how people beat the legal system. Honestly, if it was you & could get off a charge, would you take it? I'm pretty sure I would.

HelloStuart

[20]Mar 11, 2012

If you thought the new-look Marlins were gaudy, you should see their home run display.