Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

drudager

[41]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 13
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    And Jamie Moyer earned a spot on the Rockies' starting rotation; at 49, he could become the oldest pitcher to win a game in league history.

Yes it is possible - neither Satchel Paige, Jack Quinn or Hoyt Wilhelm won past the ages of 47, 48 & 48 respectively. That said, it's pretty sorry that a man almost 5 decades old could win a MLB game - if that isn't an blatant clue that there's way too many teams. I would predict there's at least 100 to 125 guys that belong in Triple-A. The fact that Moyer was never considered a freak or a Cy Young winner let alone an All Star (just once) & is extremely average just proves it more so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[42]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 21

Hem, that is something to think about regarding the NFL ideal schedule. Again, very good points. Also speaking of divisions, I too would eliminate them. I don't care how strong the Cowboys-Giants rivalry is, having Dallas in the Eastern division with the Giants makes absolutely no sense at all. If anything I probably would've had Dallas in the south and swap them with Carolina and put them in the East. The geography divisions for other teams don't make much sense either, but I don't remember them all offhand at the moment. But in any case, I would scrap the 4 divisions and at most have 2 either north-south or west-east.

Totally agreed about the Dodgers, I do remember reading they were really worth about $1.2-1.4 billion. If this isn't a shakedown, I dunno what this is.

I was wondering what happened to Moyer, well kudos to him. I wish him the best.

On the Yankees front: Pineda might have some shoulder problems. On one hand, it solves the issue about the rotation [before Andy Pettitte is ready to rejoin the team] so Garcia will likely take the 5th spot. On the other, I hope this isn't a serious thing. It's already a polarizing trade because the Yankees gave up a slugger in Montero and on the sports radio station and chat sites I've visited, fans are only going to get more irate over this news.

Me personally, I figured Pineda was or should've been sent to the minors to work on his other pitches, so some more time on 'training' would do him more good. Last thing the team needs is him trying to over compensate and hurting himself just so he can impress the team and fans.

Edited on 03/31/2012 5:56pm

drudager

[43]Mar 31, 2012
    Geographically correct divisions is something of a rarity from past - fewer teams & especially back when sports leagues exploded in the 1960s & 1970s. For the longest time the Atlanta Falcons were in the NFC West & the Atlanta Braves were in the N.L. West. The NBA & NHL had many, many divisional changes. The NFL had the AFL merger to deal with as well as rivalries. No other reason to explain why the Tampa Buccaneers were in the NFC North for 25 years, but that's just how it was & pre-existing rivalries take precedence. I guess in the NFL it's not as important because they only play once a week, which makes me wonder if the Vikings move to Los Angeles if they'll stay in the NFCN. But Dallas wanted no part of playing outside the NFC East - they couldn't care less about the Panthers, Saints, Cardinals, Rams, Falcons, Bucs, etc, and the Dolphins are still in the AFC East with all those northern teams. Way too much history there. MLB (like most leagues) just happened to have a lot of teams in the northeast.

As for all 4 leagues, I would just scrap all divisions entirely & split each one with two leagues of east & west. The NHL & NBA standings basically do this anyway when March rolls around & the playoffs are close, even tho they still have stupid pointless #1,2,3 divisions seeds at the top regardless of records or points. All divisions do is create excuses for tidy specific scheduling & to sell T-shirts & hats. Nobody really cares about winning division titles because they have their eyes on the seeded playoff spots. You could win your division with a sub-.500 record & it really wouldn't matter to most fans. The fact of the matter is it SHOULDN'T happen & the teams who played the best in the regular season logically should be the ones rewarded - not because you happened to be the Best of the Worst in a random geographical division. There is no such thing as geographical city-team balance in the United States or Canada. And rivalries are built on winning, not just because you're neighbors.

MajLorne

[44]Apr 1, 2012

Going by this decade alone, Dallas being stubborn in staying in the same NFL East has hurt them more. You'd think that they'd be happier in the west and a rivalry with the 49ers...

Totally agreed. The WC was good for MLB, but that 3rd division just allowed for mainly the West or Central team to 'coast' into the playoffs [just barely] with weaker teams. This while usually the East [especially the AL east] it's a total tooth and nails fight for that top spot.

I'd favor the east-west split as well. It's either that or all teams (no matter the geography) must get the best 4 records of their league in order to get to the playoffs. Good records should be rewarded over potential east-west playoff set ups in the championship series. Splitting teams by geographical east-west would also be great in terms of limiting the hassles of long cross country flights in case of the need to make up games lost due to weather or other stuff.

For the NBA and NHL, that set up is ok, but they should either drop the total to either 4 teams or 6. Having 8 teams making it dilutes the need to have the best record especially if the 8th seed was on a streak against a 1st seed that was on cruise control by resting players.

Edited on 04/01/2012 10:06pm

HelloStuart

[45]Apr 2, 2012
    • level: 63
    MajLorne wrote:

For the NBA and NHL, that set up is ok, but they should either drop the total to either 4 teams or 6. Having 8 teams making it dilutes the need to have the best record especially if the 8th seed was on a streak against a 1st seed that was on cruise control by resting players.

Funny thing is, the 16-team playoff format has been in use for over three decades by both leagues. Back when the NBA and NHL had 23 and 21 teams respectively only the really godawful clubs had April tee times. A below average team (like today's Dallas Stars) would easily nab a #7 or #8 seed.

As for the MLB and NFL teams, their playoff structure should be fewer teams the better. Isn't it enough that a 9-7 team won the Super Bowl two months ago?

HelloStuart

[46]Apr 2, 2012
    drudager wrote:

MajLorne wrote:
    1 - Wasn't the Rays stadium intended for the White Sox at one time? 2 - I did not know of that [money troubles], but do agree they pretty much bought that 2001 title. 3 - Hem, I thought the Royals were worse off than I thought, I guess moving them won't work. 4 - THat's true about moving the D'Backs to the AL as they have the least history of the NL teams. Moving the Astros to the AL is just so stupid on so many levels. They couldn't move even the Rockies over the Astros?

1 - White Sox, Mariners & Giants in that order.

2 - The D-Backs have had money flow & meeting payroll problems since at least 2001. They kept deferring salaries & asking shareholders to keep pumping in more money. Basically the owners had zero patience & were completely reckless. No reason at all Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling should have ended up on that team, but they did.

3 - The Royals are fine. Kauffman Stadium underwent a huge renovation & will be serviceable for a long time. Personally I think it lost a lot of its rural charm & used to look a lot better but Stu will disagree with me.

4 - Selig is a dirty rotten bastard. Kicking the Astros while they're down & being an opportunist bastard to complete the sale with strings attached. Ugh, I just read they're were SUPPOSED to be in the A.L. but 5 A.L. teams voted against it. Probably the M's, A's, Angels, Rangers & Royals. I recall threats of moving them to the A.L. after they started playing, but it never happened. I still don't know why they didn't move the D-Backs or Rockies instead. I don't think either of them wants to play in the American League; rightly so. The DH rule is garbage. The sickening thing is the new Astros owners could be bought & they sold out.

Funny you mention My Royals, Dolph. I'll be going to KC later this month to judge "new" Kauffman on its own merit. As for 2012, it seems that Crow or J-Brox will be our fireman, but our we'll only go as far as our rotation takes us. I wouldn't rule out second place in the AL Central just yet.

MajLorne

[47]Apr 2, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:

Funny thing is, the 16-team playoff format has been in use for over three decades by both leagues. Back when the NBA and NHL had 23 and 21 teams respectively only the really godawful clubs had April tee times. A below average team (like today's Dallas Stars) would easily nab a #7 or #8 seed. As for the MLB and NFL teams, their playoff structure should be fewer teams the better. Isn't it enough that a 9-7 team won the Super Bowl two months ago?
    Heh, well I won't lie that if it works in my favor I'd take it. but yes ideally, the NFL should have the 4 teams with the best records get in.

However, the problem with the current 16 game setup is there's no way to ensure every team gets an even schedule unless they were to adopt my idea to have games against the 15 other teams in their own league and the 16th against the other league. And that means the Giants would be playing each teams once instead of twice. However, I still think that this would be the most ideal way to go. As fun as it would be seeing the Giants play the Pats in the regular season, there's no need for that when the Giants should be playing teams in their own league.

If not for the commercials and halftime show in the Superbowl, would there be that many people watching the game itself? I mean, if it isn't my team playing, what's the incentive for me to watching it?

*I do apologize if I got too o/t with the NFL talk here.

Edited on 04/02/2012 8:58pm

drudager

[48]Apr 3, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Funny you mention My Royals, Dolph. I'll be going to KC later this month to judge "new" Kauffman on its own merit. As for 2012, it seems that Crow or J-Brox will be our fireman, but our we'll only go as far as our rotation takes us. I wouldn't rule out second place in the AL Central just yet.

Funny, nothing! This place will be a Royals / Yankees / Rangers ticker unless 123 comes along with his Nationals. 2nd place - 50 games out you mean, right? Take lots of pics! Want to see the Royals Hall of Fame store. Every ballpark I visit, I like to walk around & see the whole place.

drudager

[49]Apr 3, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:

Funny thing is, the 16-team playoff format has been in use for over three decades by both leagues. Back when the NBA and NHL had 23 and 21 teams respectively only the really godawful clubs had April tee times. A below average team (like today's Dallas Stars) would easily nab a #7 or #8 seed. As for the MLB and NFL teams, their playoff structure should be fewer teams the better. Isn't it enough that a 9-7 team won the Super Bowl two months ago?

Funny, nothing! The biggest problem with the NHL & NBA playoffs is that there's way too many teams, too many off days & all series are Best of 7, which is why it takes two months to play the damn playoffs. I think those leagues actually like that their regular seasons mean nothing.

The NFL has an idiot division problem. Every year I root for the .500 team to win the Super Bowl or even better, a sub-.500 team. Only the NFL could make a 16-game regular season schedule mean nothing. "Hey you! You finished in 1st place of your division & you're 11-5? Well SCREW YOU, you don't make the playoffs!" It is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in the NFL. Well, maybe it's the 2nd stupidest thing I've ever seen in the NFL.

drudager

[50]Apr 4, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:
    If not for the commercials and halftime show in the Superbowl, would there be that many people watching the game itself? I mean, if it isn't my team playing, what's the incentive for me to watching it?

Back when I watched the Super Bowl (before they ruined it) I actually didn't watch the commercials or the stupid half time show. Technically if you invested time in watching a season, it would seem logical to find out how it ended, even if your team (most likely) wasn't in the championship. Championship games are supposed to be the best games each sport has to offer - but with so much scheduling crap & too many playoff teams, it's usually never as great as it should be.

MajLorne

[51]Apr 4, 2012
    That's true. If I were more an NFL purist, I'd record the game and watch just that as well. It would also depend on who's playing. Like Because I'm a Yankees fan, anything associated with the New England-Boston area, I'd watch hoping to see them lose.
    And totally agreed about the records in the NFL, it means nothing now. I wonder if anyone has the stats about how that extra 1 week break b/w the end of the season and the divisional round hurts the team more than playing then? If the NFL had top 4 records and that's it, there would be more sanity.

drudager

[52]Apr 7, 2012

pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Jamie Moyer earned a spot on the Rockies' starting rotation; at 49, he could become the oldest pitcher to win a game in league history.

Had a hell of a time trying to find this. Apparently it was here.

Not a good day for Moyer: (L) 5 IP, 5 H. 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 5.40 ERA, 1.20 WHIP against the National League Houston Ballclub. 69 very old pitches with 42 lucky strikes. #2 AARP starter; ouch.

HelloStuart

[53]Apr 9, 2012
    drudager wrote:

pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Jamie Moyer earned a spot on the Rockies' starting rotation; at 49, he could become the oldest pitcher to win a game in league history.

Not a good day for Moyer: (L) 5 IP, 5 H. 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 HR, 5.40 ERA, 1.20 WHIP against the National League Houston Ballclub. 69 very old pitches with 42 lucky strikes. #2 AARP starter; ouch.

At least Jesse Orosco, John Franco, and Mike Morgan knew when to quit.

drudager

[54]Apr 10, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:

pudgebyrd722 wrote:

At least Jesse Orosco, John Franco, and Mike Morgan knew when to quit.

lol they needed the money! Actually Franco made a pretty penny in $47M. Wow, 67 seasons between, only two rings & both to Orosco. Add Moyer and it goes up to 92 seasons & 3 rings.

pudgebyrd722

[55]Apr 10, 2012
    • level: 51
    Well the Rangers off to a good start, with two shutouts in their first five games. Neftali Feliz made his starting debut tonight and went further into the game than any other starter has so far, with 7 innings, allowing only 4 hits. Mike Adams and Joe Nathan pitched perfect 8th and 9th innings.

Yu Darvish got off to a rocky start last night but his offense bailed him out.

It translate to a 4-1 start and a 1.5 game lead in the AL West five games in. Six Rangers have already hit homeruns.

HelloStuart

[56]Apr 15, 2012

Fight! Fight! Fight!

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20618487&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_20618487&v=3

drudager

[57]Apr 15, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

Fight! Fight! Fight!

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20618487&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_20618487&v=3

Ah that's so nice to see! About 10 years ago MLB quietly outlawed brawls (most presumably to pander to the fickle MLB fan whose easily offended by such a thing) and there was talk that MLB would imply harsh penalties if anyone charged the mound, and for like 2 years there were ZERO brawls in MLB. Then the Rays & Red Sox started brawling in Spring Training for a while. Whether Selig likes it or not, brawls are a part of the game, and the inside of the plate belongs to the pitcher.

drudager

[58]Apr 19, 2012
    Old man Moyer finally did it: won on Tuesday with 7 IP of 2-hit ball against the punchless Padres for the oldest win ever. I'd ask what people were doing when Moyer made his debut way back on June 16, 1986, but most probably weren't even alive yet.

drudager

[59]Apr 19, 2012

drudager wrote:
    June 16, 1986

Speaking of that date incidentally, in the paper the A's almost ended up in Denver:

"Oakland A`s owners were prepared to sell the American League franchise to Denver oilman Marvin Davis after the 1984 season and again last year, according to the San Jose Mercury News. The plan, worked out in concert with San Francisco Giants` owner Bob Lurie, called for A`s owner Walter Haas to sell the team to Davis and become a part-owner of the Giants. Davis would have moved the A`s to Denver, and the Giants would have occupied Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, the newspaper said."

Also of note, Mickey Mantle talking about removing the asterisk of Maris' single-season HR record which still stands in the A.L, a Milwaukee bar fight with Reggie Jackson's Angels teammates which wouldn't happen today, HOFer Don Sutton going for 300 wins two days later (he would). Funny how fortunes have turned for the Giants and the A's are still looking to move & another instance of Denver trying to get an MLB team. I still think there should be an asterisk on Maris' & McGwire's records tho nobody cares anymore.

pudgebyrd722

[60]Apr 19, 2012
    • level: 51
    Heck my parents weren't even married by 1986. My mom had graduated high school in '84. lol

Well the Rangers continue their hot start. Six wins in a row and a 10-2 record. Mike Napoli has gotten hot, four home runs in less than a week coming into a tonight, and he already has one in Detroit. He and Hamilton both have five.

And how about that 18-3 blowout of Boston Tuesday night?

The Nationals have also been a pleasant surprise at 10-3.