Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

 
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [61]Apr 20, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    drudager wrote:
    Old man Moyer finally did it: won on Tuesday with 7 IP of 2-hit ball against the punchless Padres for the oldest win ever. I'd ask what people were doing when Moyer made his debut way back on June 16, 1986, but most probably weren't even alive yet.

    The opposing pitcher in Moyer's major league debut is now 67 years old. Some dude nicknamed Lefty.

    Also, why an asterisk next to Maris? Are you a stickler about the eight extra games?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [62]Apr 20, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    Old man Moyer finally did it: won on Tuesday with 7 IP of 2-hit ball against the punchless Padres for the oldest win ever. I'd ask what people were doing when Moyer made his debut way back on June 16, 1986, but most probably weren't even alive yet.
    The opposing pitcher in Moyer's major league debut is now 67 years old. Some dude nicknamed Lefty. Also, why an asterisk next to Maris? Are you a stickler about the eight extra games?


    One of the best ever.


    Oh you bet your ass I am! Yeah I know. 8 games is 8 games, but that could be anywhere from 24 to 40 additional plate appearances/at-bats that Ruth never had in a season. I'd rather see a 154-game record & a 162-game record; even if the only thing it does is provide a history lesson. Who's National League record did McGwire beat? And the old 154-game record? McGwire should most definitely have an asterisk.


    Somebody did a post on the chain of Moyer: "there's only four links in the chain between Jamie Moyer and Ty Cobb. Moyer played with Dennis Martinez…Martinez played with Brooks Robinson…Robinson played with Hoot Evers…Evers played with Charlie Gehringer…and Gehringer played with Cobb."


    This is why baseball is superior to all other sports.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [63]Apr 20, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Hate to give the Yankees & Red Sox more attention than they already get/deserve, but New York made it a bittersweet hundredth anniversary of Fenway Park Friday with a 6-2 win over the Sox. The Yankees improve to 8-6 and the Red Sox are just 4-9.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [64]Apr 21, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    God bless the Cubs and Padres. Otherwise, they'd make my Royals look pitiful.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [65]Apr 21, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Hate to give the Yankees & Red Sox more attention than they already get/deserve, but New York made it a bittersweet hundredth anniversary of Fenway Park Friday with a 6-2 win over the Sox. The Yankees improve to 8-6 and the Red Sox are just 4-9.


    It was also the 100th anniversary of Tiger Stadium opening. Of course that didn't get any news because some jerks TORE IT DOWN.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [66]Apr 21, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282

    Speaking of asterisks, A-Rod needs one too & he's in sole possession of 5th place now on the HR list.


    As for the trivia question:
    N.L. 162-game record: 1977 - 52 George Foster
    N.L. 154-game record: 1930 - 56 - Hack Wilson
    A.L. 162-game record: 1961 - 61 - Roger Maris
    A.L. 154-game record: 1927 - 60 - Babe Ruth

    Edited on 04/21/2012 10:39pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [67]Apr 21, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,491
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Hate to give the Yankees & Red Sox more attention than they already get/deserve, but New York made it a bittersweet hundredth anniversary of Fenway Park Friday with a 6-2 win over the Sox. The Yankees improve to 8-6 and the Red Sox are just 4-9.
    Adding insult to injury, Yankees win an insane game 15-9 after trailing by 9 in one point. I have to say I'm disappointed in both Garcia and Hughes so far. I hoped they'd both give 5 serviceable innings, but it's time to pull the plug on one of them as the pen can't keep bailing them out.

    Pineda with more shoulder issues, I can only imagine the other fans lining up with pitchforks outside Cashman's office. I have doubts about Pineda even pitching this year if there's going to be constant news about the shoulder. Shots to numb the pain will only do so much.
    However, on the flip side, Montero has been off to a slow start as well as Noisi (pitcher). I think the more I look at this trade, it's Campos (pitcher) that could be the big factor.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [68]Apr 22, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    The Yankees are starting to heat up... hopefully the Rangers can cool them off when they return home tomorrow.

    The Rangers' eight-game win streak was snapped by Detroit in the second game of the doubleheader yesterday, although they out-hit the Tigers, 7-3. They made up for it today with a 3-2 win in 11 to take three of four and improve to 13-3.

    After today's 12-0 win over the Dodgers, the Astros are 6-10 but have outscored their opponents this year by 10 runs. Explain that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [69]Apr 23, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    After today's 12-0 win over the Dodgers, the Astros are 6-10 but have outscored their opponents this year by 10 runs. Explain that.


    They won their games by too many runs It won't last, tho.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [70]Apr 23, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    After today's 12-0 win over the Dodgers, the Astros are 6-10 but have outscored their opponents this year by 10 runs. Explain that.


    They won their games by too many runs It won't last, tho.


    Agreed. Like the annual hot start by the O's, reality will settle in soon enough.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [71]Apr 24, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    This is terrible! No mention of the Phil Humber 21st official (22nd unofficial) perfect game EVER in MLB history?! Or as I call it, "only the 21st time the starting pitcher actually did what he was supposed to!" Granted there's been 11/12 perfect games since 1988 & only 10 in the prior 107 seasons, but it's still extremely remarkable given the defense didn't potentially intentionally botch a close play to preserve the perfect game. Mind you the Mariners were 13th of 14th in the A.L. in hitting going into the game & Safeco is a pitcher's haven, but hardly the requirement for a perfect game. I think everyone is put off by who it was (a journeyman) & the team whom he plays for (the White Sox; whom nobody cares about); it may as well had been Erik Bedard or done in Cleveland. I understand there was a Yankees/Red Sox game on Saturday, according to Bud Selig that 94% of MLB fans had a rooting interest in that game & the Sunday game got rained out, much to the dismay & utter complete catastrophe to ESPN, who was bawling like an infant over it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [72]Apr 25, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,491
    I would consider it 23 because I still wished Mike Mussina got that perfect game in Fenway. Carl f'ing Everett was a PH and had 2 strikes on him. If he had struck out, Mike could've goten that on elusive no hitter of his career. Anyway, as for the duel of the Japanese starters: I wasn't surprised of the outcome as the Yankees for some reason always do horribly against someone they never saw before. Plus Kuroda to his credit only gave up 2 runs, which would've been enough if the hitting got any run support for him. So Monday's win was great with Arod and Jeter both hitting well so far and CC pitching well. Yankees have at least 3 reliable starters now and we just need to wait for Andy to return. Pineda's setback is gonna be a big problem.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [73]Apr 25, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Not as an impressive of a performance as Phil Humber's perfect game obviously, but Yu Darvish improves to 3-0 with a 2-0 win over the Yankees last night in which he struck out 10 Yankees in 8.1 innings pitched.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [74]Apr 25, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Not as an impressive of a performance as Phil Humber's perfect game obviously, but Yu Darvish improves to 3-0 with a 2-0 win over the Yankees last night in which he struck out 10 Yankees in 8.1 innings pitched.


    Darvish didn't even pitch the whole game?? Bah!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [75]Apr 26, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    drudager wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Not as an impressive of a performance as Phil Humber's perfect game obviously, but Yu Darvish improves to 3-0 with a 2-0 win over the Yankees last night in which he struck out 10 Yankees in 8.1 innings pitched.


    Darvish didn't even pitch the whole game?? Bah!
    Haha, he was already in the 120's although Nathan came in and it took just one pitch - a double play ball - to collect his fifth save.

    Then, the Rangers take two out of three from the Yankees. Meanwhile, the same Angel team who several predicted to win the division, got swept in Tampa and are already nine games behind the Rangers at 6-13. Albert Pujols isn't performing like his paycheck indicates he should, still homerless, only 4 RBI, and batting .224.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [76]Apr 26, 2012
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,491
    Hey, Texas fans can celebrate, but like I said: Yankees historically never do well against pitchers they've faced for the first time. Plus Hughes at this point is washed up as a starter. Yankees should either put him in the pen or the minors and have someone else take his spot till Pettitte is ready to return.

    So had Kuroda started the 3rd game of the set, Yankees could've taken 2 of 3. But it's still a young season and lots of games to go. I also agree that it was laughable that everyone was already crowning the Angels as the division winner. It's still the Rangers's spot to lose.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [77]Apr 26, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    It's also April. Even the crappiest of crappy players (like Aramis Ramirez) can struggle for a long part of the season & end up putting respectable stats because it's such a long season & there's too many games. While a slow start in April isn't certain death, it's also not the best thing that could happen, either. The Angels could hit a soft spot in the schedule & gain some ground. Having Pujols (whom isn't as automatic as he used to be) helps but it doesn't completely mask what a horrible hitting & OBP team the Angels are. Hmmm, Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland, White Sox, Padres, Mariners. Yup - Angels should be at .500 by June.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [78]Apr 27, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    drudager wrote:
    This is terrible! No mention of the Phil Humber 21st official (22nd unofficial) perfect game EVER in MLB history?! Or as I call it, "only the 21st time the starting pitcher actually did what he was supposed to!" Granted there's been 11/12 perfect games since 1988 & only 10 in the prior 107 seasons, but it's still extremely remarkable given the defense didn't potentially intentionally botch a close play to preserve the perfect game. Mind you the Mariners were 13th of 14th in the A.L. in hitting going into the game & Safeco is a pitcher's haven, but hardly the requirement for a perfect game. I think everyone is put off by who it was (a journeyman) & the team whom he plays for (the White Sox; whom nobody cares about); it may as well had been Erik Bedard or done in Cleveland. I understand there was a Yankees/Red Sox game on Saturday, according to Bud Selig that 94% of MLB fans had a rooting interest in that game & the Sunday game got rained out, much to the dismay & utter complete catastrophe to ESPN, who was bawling like an infant over it.

    Sorry about that; I'm pretty busy on weekends. :/

    After a two-week schneid, my Royals took 2 out of 4 against Cleveland.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [79]Apr 28, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Unsubscribing to channels to save money took away by Rangers games. I've been following on MLB Gamecast.

    I'm not sure what that had to do with anything. Just throwing it out there I guess.

    But Rangers lose the first at home to Tampa behind Matt Harrison giving up 4 runs in the first inning. And it's not like the Rangers didn't have opportunities to win, stranding three runners on twice I believe.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [80]May 5, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Every team has their slumps but that doesn't take away from my anger. Rangers have lost three straight.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.