Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

pudgebyrd722

[81]May 8, 2012
    • level: 51
    Josh Hamilton became the 6th AL player to hit four home runs in a game Tuesday night in Baltimore, and had an AL record 18 total bases. He has 14 home runs on the season, the Padres have 12. Texas, who have scored 24 runs in the first two games of this series, are the first team in baseball to 20 wins.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[82]May 9, 2012
    • level: 13

Post #1000!

Bah - figures Hamilton is on my opponent's fantasy team. 4 HRs in one game? I would had beaned him after the 2nd HR. What's weird is it wasn't wind-assisted. I remember when Mike Cameron did it against the White Sox on 05/02/2002.

Isn't it funny how players only seem to do well or pull this kind of stunt during contract years? Yell

pudgebyrd722

[83]May 9, 2012
    ^ Congratulations, lol.

Josh Hamilton, who swings at the first pitch more often than any other player in baseball, can frustrate me a lot by doing that. But at the end of the day, I still love him and he has one of the prettiest swings in baseball. The Rangers will get him resigned, I heard 5 years, as I really don't see Josh ever going to a different team.

On a sad note, the Voice of Fenway, Carl Beane, died tragically due to a heart attack while driving. He was 59 and was the club's PA announcer since 2003. Sad loss indeed, prayers are with his family, the team, and entire city.

HelloStuart

[84]May 10, 2012
    • level: 63
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Every team has their slumps but that doesn't take away from my anger. Rangers have lost three straight.

Only? Bear in mind that you're commenting with a Royals fan and a White Sox fan. Plus, the Rangers were the barometer of baseball mediocrity until the mid-90s.

pudgebyrd722

[85]May 10, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Every team has their slumps but that doesn't take away from my anger. Rangers have lost three straight.

Only? Bear in mind that you're commenting with a Royals fan and a White Sox fan. Plus, the Rangers were the barometer of baseball mediocrity until the mid-90s.
    I realize that but I'm 16 so I still attend the same school as a lot of idiots - some people who don't follow baseball as much but continue to annoy me by saying "the Rangers suck" lol. I think it's more to piss me off than anything haha but they won't hop off Texas's case everytime they lose.

drudager

[86]May 11, 2012

^^^ That doesn't surprise me - that's big football country right there. Aside from a brief period in the late 1990s before A-Roid when they won baseball's weakest division, the Rangers have been pretty irrelevant; especially with that glorified farce known as the Cowboys in town. For a long time the Rangers only had 1 playoff win in a franchise 49 seasons & that wasn't going to impress anybody. Plus I think the Rangers have a color scheme (blue or red, which is it?) & nickname (road script on the home unis?) identity crisis & really lack tradition & any recognizable icons. First thing I would do is bring back the old Texas scoreboard & replace all the outfield & foul walls with wood cattle ranch fencing

pudgebyrd722

[87]May 15, 2012
    drudager wrote:

^^^ That doesn't surprise me - that's big football country right there. Aside from a brief period in the late 1990s before A-Roid when they won baseball's weakest division, the Rangers have been pretty irrelevant; especially with that glorified farce known as the Cowboys in town. For a long time the Rangers only had 1 playoff win in a franchise 49 seasons & that wasn't going to impress anybody. Plus I think the Rangers have a color scheme (blue or red, which is it?) & nickname (road script on the home unis?) identity crisis & really lack tradition & any recognizable icons. First thing I would do is bring back the old Texas scoreboard & replace all the outfield & foul walls with wood cattle ranch fencing

Haha, I wish I was around to witness that sight, although I still must say the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the nicest parks in the Majors. Plus, I think they still didn't "forgive" the Rangers for "choking" in the last two games of the World Series. *facepalm*

drudager

[88]May 19, 2012
    Outside of the World Series & Spring Training, Interleague Play (or Plague as one of my friend's calls it) is the worst thing ever. It's just not natural in the regular season. MLB existed for over 110 years without it just fine. I don't need stupid frills like this to enjoy baseball, and I don't see any damn point in teams like the Pirates, Astros or Cubs coming to my home park. You know the stupid owners, for all this IP crap & unbalanced scheduling, they don't realize they're losing a lot of money in lost gate draws like the Rays, Rangers, Red Sox, Yankees, etc with these stupid Interleague games that don't mean anything special.

drudager

[89]May 19, 2012
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Haha, I wish I was around to witness that sight, although I still must say the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington is one of the nicest parks in the Majors. Plus, I think they still didn't "forgive" the Rangers for "choking" in the last two games of the World Series. *facepalm*

Well I've never been to the Ballpark in Arlington, tho a few Rangers fans have told me "it's way too big" and full of bandwagoners now. The Rangers SHOULD have won Game 6, tho. It's not the first Game 6 teams have blown but that one was pretty bad. One strike away TWICE. Even Barroids Bonds never got that close.

drudager

[90]Jun 22, 2012
    Man, with all these Interleague Play games, I thought for SURE we'd have a ton of posts on what great match-ups they are! /sarcasm

Get rid of Interleague Play & go back to a balanced league-only schedule & get rid of this DH crap for good.

drudager

[91]Jun 22, 2012
    Did anybody else / non-Red Sox & Yankees fans vote 25 times each for their team's players for the All Star Game? Me neither. I shudder to think how many 10,000's of man hours are wasted on ASG voting & how many millions of manhours are wasted from Yahoo articles.

jessicalouis

[92]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 1

Throughout the history of major league baseball there have good trades and bad trades and then there some that are so bad you wonder what was the team thinking of.

Edited on 06/23/2012 6:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[93]Jun 24, 2012
    jessicalouis wrote:

Throughout the history of major league baseball there have good trades and bad trades and then there some that are so bad you wonder what was the team thinking of.

Like Youkilis to the White Sox?

drudager

[94]Jun 25, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    jessicalouis wrote:

Like Youkilis to the White Sox?

Or Josh Fields & Chris Getz to the Royals.

pudgebyrd722

[95]Jun 25, 2012
    Marlon Byrd, half of my user-namesake, tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and has been handed a 50-game suspension.

drudager

[96]Jun 26, 2012

pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    Marlon Byrd, half of my user-namesake, tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and has been handed a 50-game suspension.

Well-a Bryd Bryd Bryd, Byrd is a word, well-a Bryd Bryd Bryd, Byrd is a word

Seems like a lot of Cubs/ex-Cubs have been on the juice. Also, Ivan Rodriguez's name did appear on the "leaked list" Mitchell Report & was on those roided Rangers teams, so your full s/n is juiced http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1775&Itemid=42

Also, the REAL "Pudge" was Carlton Fisk, not Ivan fyi.

Edited on 06/26/2012 9:04am

HelloStuart

[97]Jul 2, 2012
    Any thoughts on the All-Star Game selections? (Not the game itself or its fading relevance, but the players themselves.) Say what you will about token picks, but Billy Butler is deserving: he's on a 16/48/.297 clip in the first half of the season, and at his current rate he'll surpass his single-season home run mark (21) around late July. Plus, he's a fan favorite in KC.

On that note, who was the biggest snub? For the NL, I'd say the Reds' Johnny Cueto (9-4, 2.26 ERA, 6.6 K per 9 IP), and in the junior circuit Edwin Encarnacion of the Jays (22/55/.289).

drudager

[98]Jul 3, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    Any thoughts on the All-Star Game selections? (Not the game itself or its fading relevance, but the players themselves.) Say what you will about token picks, but Billy Butler is deserving: he's on a 16/48/.297 clip in the first half of the season, and at his current rate he'll surpass his single-season home run mark (21) around late July. Plus, he's a fan favorite in KC. On that note, who was the biggest snub? For the NL, I'd say the Reds' Johnny Cueto (9-4, 2.26 ERA, 6.6 K per 9 IP), and in the junior circuit Edwin Encarnacion of the Jays (22/55/.289).

With absolute intentional neglect of A.J. Pierzynski, of course. Not that I care about the ASG or sending players from my team on there because the team is more important than some silly exhibition game nor a fan of A.J., , it's interesting out of Mauer, Napoli & Weiters whom did make it, he leads them in SLG, HR, RBI, and 2nd in CS%, WAR, OPS+ & AVE. It's not like hitting catchers grow on trees. There is just way too much politics, fan voting & rules that ruins the game. It's not an All Star game if you allow tokens, pitching mandates, fan favorites (which have proved they don't know how to vote properly). It's a farce is what it is.

blackmage8472

[99]Jul 5, 2012
    • level: 15

HelloStuart wrote:
    On that note, who was the biggest snub? For the NL, I'd say the Reds' Johnny Cueto (9-4, 2.26 ERA, 6.6 K per 9 IP), and in the junior circuit Edwin Encarnacion of the Jays (22/55/.289).

Agreed on Cueto. LaRussa does seem to have something against the Reds.

I tend to find the entire selection process for the all star gameridiculous, especially since winning decides home field advantage.

pudgebyrd722

[100]Jul 12, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Any thoughts on the All-Star Game selections? (Not the game itself or its fading relevance, but the players themselves.) Say what you will about token picks, but Billy Butler is deserving: he's on a 16/48/.297 clip in the first half of the season, and at his current rate he'll surpass his single-season home run mark (21) around late July. Plus, he's a fan favorite in KC.

I loved the crowd's booing of Robinson Cano in the Homerun Derby. And here I thought they were asleep when Chris Berman was kicking it off. But it is Chris Berman. Anyhow, how about the captains combining for just a single home run?