Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

HelloStuart

[101]Jul 14, 2012
    • level: 63
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Any thoughts on the All-Star Game selections? (Not the game itself or its fading relevance, but the players themselves.) Say what you will about token picks, but Billy Butler is deserving: he's on a 16/48/.297 clip in the first half of the season, and at his current rate he'll surpass his single-season home run mark (21) around late July. Plus, he's a fan favorite in KC.

On that note, who was the biggest snub? For the NL, I'd say the Reds' Johnny Cueto (9-4, 2.26 ERA, 6.6 K per 9 IP), and in the junior circuit Edwin Encarnacion of the Jays (22/55/.289).

I loved the crowd's booing of Robinson Cano in the Home Run Derby. And here I thought they were asleep when Chris Berman was kicking it off. But it is Chris Berman. Anyhow, how about the captains combining for just a single home run?

Cano deserved to be heckled. The death threats, however...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[102]Jul 17, 2012
    • level: 21
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    I loved the crowd's booing of Robinson Cano in the Homerun Derby. And here I thought they were asleep when Chris Berman was kicking it off. But it is Chris Berman. Anyhow, how about the captains combining for just a single home run?
    Why? Because he's a Yankee? The crowds are just bitter probably going back to the rivalry of the 70s-80s. How the hell was Cano to know who the guy from the Royals is? I'd be picking the best hitters for my team, not to appease the home crowd. I mean is Citifield going to boo Fielder next year if he doesn't pick David Wright or something? I find the booing shameful. 'Papelbum' in 2008's ASG deserved for daring to compare himself to Rivera and seeing how subpar he's been since, he deserved the jeering (obviously I don't agree with the death threats either).

MajLorne

[103]Jul 17, 2012
    As for the Youklis trade, I don't get it either. If anything it just shows Boston is giving up on the season. How could they give him up like that? Was he unhappy or something?

As for the DH, no, if anything the NL should adopt it already. I like what the Yankees have done using the DH in giving some players a sort of half day off. I don't want to see pitchers that have never hit injure themselves by either over extending their swing and blowing out their elbow or runningthe bases and tearing a ligament in their foot. Unfortunately there are 2 teams too many and the NL is imbalanced because of it. I think it was bound to happen with the 15 vs 15 setup. I never liked the whole monthly interleague thing. This spreads it out and hopefully evens the schedule for all the teams in the sense they play other teams the same number of times.

Ibanez (against Toronto) and Jones (in Boston) these past few series have been great. I know ppl I know were saying they were just worthless, but they've proved their worth and are helping the team win. On the flip side, I do worry about the over reliance on the homers. This isn't going to help carry them far into the playoffs against 1-3 type starters.

drudager

[104]Jul 18, 2012
    • level: 13

I hate American League style baseball and the DH is not real baseball. If you're too worried about the pitcher getting hurt (and don't forget Steinbrenner made a big stink when Chien-Ming Wang hurt himself) - ANYBODY can get hurt on the basepaths, in the field & in the batter's box so don't baby these millionaires. Besides, I don't like what the DH does to pitchers & makes it that much more difficult to face a lineup. Stop tilting everything towards the hitters.

As for 15-team leagues, I still don't like the fact that it leads to Interleague Play, and playing the majority of your games against the league while a few random sporadic teams a few times in the other league. That does not create any sense of balance and it should be 14/16 league splits with a balanced league-only schedule. MLB did it before with varying league sizes & they could do it again, it's just Selig is too damn stupid & stubborn to admit Interleague Play is a failure & he's too focused on making money from those extremely rare Interleague heavy-attended series - never mind that Interleague Play takes away big draws in your own league (be it Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, Rays, Phillies, Cubs, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc). What I mean is, instead of hosting one of these teams say 9 times a year, you only get 3 or 4 or 6 because of quirky scheduling. "Natural Rivals" really only applies to maybe 4 to 6 teams total, and you can't just pick and choose the best ones & keep those because that's not balanced or fair either.

If anybody is wondering how the current schedule is broken down, check out my breakdown of the 2011 schedule:

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/3405/2011t.png

Edited on 07/18/2012 1:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

drudager

[105]Jul 18, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:
    I think it was bound to happen with the 15 vs 15 setup. I never liked the whole monthly interleague thing. This spreads it out

It does. There's too many games within a 6-month period and scheduling rules (like the season must be played between 178 to 183 days; no more than 24 scheduled games in a row) and odd-numbered league teams means 1 from each has to be off & you just can't have teams with 2 or 3 days off in a row. Another problem is MLB basically only schedules off/travel days on Mondays & Thursdays which further complicates things & they won't schedule doubleheaders to ease the burden of the long schedule because they're greedy.

One potential nightmare is that there is a much greater chance that a 3-game Interleague Play series will/can have a rain/snowouts which could mean traveling to multiple cities in consecutive days including at the end of the season to make these up.

MajLorne

[106]Jul 18, 2012
    Hem, yeah very true. Same problems as now.. Obviously the only solution should be either expansion by adding 2 more teams (which is out of the question) or contract 2 and go back to 14 and 14.

I do agree about hating Interleague. Who'd want to see the Mariners vs Padres? The only teams the NL would love to have are Yankees and maybe Boston because they've never seen those teams or haven't for some time and of course it means a huge influx of fans and possible price jacking. Unfortunately the interstate/city rivalry is too popular and won't ever go away since they fill the stadiums.

I do see your other point about the DH, but I wouldn't want that to end. I guess both leagues will remain divided over that.

HelloStuart

[107]Jul 22, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:
    Hem, yeah very true. Same problems as now.. Obviously the only solution should be either expansion by adding 2 more teams (which is out of the question) or contract 2 and go back to 14 and 14.

I do agree about hating Interleague. Who'd want to see the Mariners vs Padres? The only teams the NL would love to have are Yankees and maybe Boston because they've never seen those teams or haven't for some time and of course it means a huge influx of fans and possible price jacking. Unfortunately the interstate/city rivalry is too popular and won't ever go away since they fill the stadiums.

I do see your other point about the DH, but I wouldn't want that to end. I guess both leagues will remain divided over that.

The Mariners or Padres against any team in the opposite league doesn't make much sense, outside of the World Series. It's like Baby Huey taking on The Avengers.

I would keep Interleague, but limit the range of teams geographically. For example, the AL East would only play the NL East and so forth. Yes, that means more hot, steamy M's-Friars action, but it retains the vague significance of regional rivalries (Braves-Yankees, Jays-Phils, etc.).

Dolph's rebuttal in three, two...

drudager

[108]Jul 22, 2012

Wow - Stu came up with Bud Selig's original bad idea Interleague Play of focusing on one division; used from 1997-2001. A pending obese nation cried, "but I don't get to see Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa in my park! This stinks!!"

The main reason why Interleague Plays sucks donkey balls is because it ruins the biggest allure of the All Star Game & World Series: seeing the distinctly different leagues finally match up. When done less, it is much more special. When done more often, it becomes repetitive, tired & unremarkable like everything else done too often. Baseball had a great thing going for 127 years with having different leagues to keep things interesting. And what has happened since? Rating are in the tank for the ASG & WS. Funny how you've had WS with both #1 market teams in it & the #3 market v #4 market had some of the lowest-ever ratings for the WS. And with each passing year, ILP gets less & less special and basically makes it no different than seeing the Padres, Mariners, Pirates or Marlins no matter what league you're in.

Trust the traditionalists: getting rid of Interleague Play will benefit everyone including the fans a lot more than keeping it. If you were a Royals fan, why the hell would you want to play the Pirates every single year? Piss on playing teams from the other league; especially during a pennant race. I think after 15 years, the Yankees/Braves, Blue Jays/Phillies, White Sox/Pirates, etc have to proved to be absolute failures.

MajLorne

[109]Jul 24, 2012

I have to agree with that^. I never liked Interleague because it meant unfair advantages for some and disadvantages for others. I still don't understand how the Yankees were to play 2 series against the Braves in the same year. I mean wth? And why haven't the Dodgers played in Yankees stadium since the AL East played against the NL west....

Now it might not matter for the division leaders, but for some teams if the WC race is neck and neck: one NL team plays the Yankees and another plays the Mariners, that's the difference b/w making the playoffs and going home (even with this 2 WC teams crap they have now). I totally agree that unless the 2 teams were big market teams like Yankees and Phillies in 2009, chances are the 2 teams in the WS would have played each other already and no one is going to care about watching. It's also made the ASG pointless since we now see regular AL vs NL teams. That 'it counts' crap just drove the stake deeper into its heart.

On the recent trade news, I am shocked the M's basically handed Ichiro Suzuki to the Yankees. I didn't expect this at all. I know they finally shut down Gardner (elbow issues) for the year, but wow is all I can say. The only good thing is that he doesn't try to hit for homers, so that's a welcomed change as Oakland embarrassed them in that 4 game sweep over the weekend. I am not saying this is going to do much for the team, but at least Ichiro will likely take a huge burden off of Ibanez and Jones in the OF now.

Edited on 07/24/2012 1:13pm

drudager

[110]Jul 24, 2012

One very dangerous argument I'm trying to avoid (and it will be used in the future incorrectly; no doubt) is people are going to complain that "oh an AL team shouldn't have to play NL rules so late in a pennant race". In theory, you could have the AL team keep the DH while the NL does not, but that's not fair to the NL team. I really, really hope this doesn't turn into a pro-DH in the National League argument because that is the last thing I want to see happen. Ask the pitchers & see how many enjoy pitching to the DH.

Being against Interleague Play is also a preference thing. I grew up watching the leagues separate, Milwaukee was in the American League, a balanced schedule, certain teams looked a certain way (Padres in brown; cough cough cough!) bigger strike zones, Astroturf & cookie cutter stadiums, 6 or 7 team divisions, no Wild Cards, no Internet voting b.s. MLB sure has changed a lot in the past 22 years.

MajLorne

[111]Jul 24, 2012

The 94 strike was devastating on so many levels. I could never understand why they had to have the strike before they finished the season... at least have a playoffs in 94 and worry about 95 later. Yankees and Expos were in playoff contention. I feel more sorry for the Expos on how if they had made the playoffs, they might've kept the team together and might've been more alluring to the home crowds instead of being 3rd class citizens in their crumbling dome in the 2000s.

I too agree with preferring the 2 divisions. If it's so much about adding an extra 2 teams to the playoffs, why not just make the best 4 teams in each league play? Basically either have the 2 divisions (with 2 wild cards or the 2nd best teams in each division play) or one single division and have the 1 play the 4 and 2 play the 3. That rewards teams with the best records and kicks out teams that fall short. No weak divisions and no need for this 2 wild card deal they have now.

Edited on 07/24/2012 9:29pm

drudager

[112]Jul 25, 2012

Just a little note on Olympic Stadium: at the time, it wasn't even 20 years old during the Strike and only a few years ago did they finally pay off the stadium. Plus it used to be an outdoor stadium & they put a new roof on it in the late 1990s. The Strike did kill baseball in Montreal, tho at the time the Canadian dollar was much weaker & players got paid in Canadian money so they lost money in the conversion rate. Also the economics of baseball had not completely spiraled out of control, but if I had to guess, the Expos would had been a middle-low to low market & they probably couldn't have kept Walker, Alou, Pedro, etc anyway. Plus the Canadian Gov't was not going to build the Expos a new stadium because they just basically don't do that in Canada. Every year they put it off, the higher the cost, too. I think the Expos would be another Oakland A's / pre-2012 Marlins case.

Yes! No divisions, 1-4 seeding. The problem is, baseball doesn't like big divisions or teams "in 10th place" but that's stupid because people can read how many games out teams are. MLB just wants to sell more T-shirts & caps with divisions. And if MLB had half a brain, if they complained about uneven divisions in the National League, they could have easily broken them into 4 even divisions. That would probably be: Giants, Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs. Rockies, Astros, Braves, Pirates. Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Reds. Phillies, Nats, Mets & Marlins.

HelloStuart

[113]Jul 25, 2012

drudager wrote:

Just a little note on Olympic Stadium: at the time, it wasn't even 20 years old during the Strike and only a few years ago did they finally pay off the stadium. Plus it used to be an outdoor stadium & they put a new roof on it in the late 1990s. The Strike did kill baseball in Montreal, tho at the time the Canadian dollar was much weaker & players got paid in Canadian money so they lost money in the conversion rate. Also the economics of baseball had not completely spiraled out of control, but if I had to guess, the Expos would had been a middle-low to low market and they probably couldn't have kept Walker, Alou, Pedro, etc anyway. Plus the Canadian Gov't was not going to build the Expos a new stadium because they just basically don't do that in Canada. Every year they put it off, the higher the cost, too. I think the Expos would be another Oakland A's / pre-2012 Marlins case.

I don't have the heart to tell Dolph that Le Stade Olympique de Montréal is now primarily used for soccer.

As for Royals vs. Pirates-- considering how Pittsburgh is playing this year, I would watch.

drudager

[114]Jul 26, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:

I don't have the heart to tell Dolph that Le Stade Olympique de Montréal is now primarily used for soccer.

Actually I did know that - the Impact played their first ever home game against the Fire. Damn soccer. Totally random chance that I saw that in the paper.

edit: "The Impact had hoped Saputo Stadium expansion would be finished in time for the start of the 2012 MLS season, but it was announced on July 17, 2011 that the expansion would be delayed. As a consequence, the neighboring Olympic Stadium was used for the Impact's first six home dates (5 MLS Regular Season, 1 Canadian Championship)[17] The Impact's first MLS game at Saputo Stadium was played on June 16, 2012, a 4-1 win over Seattle.[18] "

Edited on 07/26/2012 1:41pm

MajLorne

[115]Aug 15, 2012
    drudager wrote:

Just a little note on Olympic Stadium: at the time, it wasn't even 20 years old during the Strike and only a few years ago did they finally pay off the stadium. Plus it used to be an outdoor stadium & they put a new roof on it in the late 1990s. The Strike did kill baseball in Montreal, tho at the time the Canadian dollar was much weaker & players got paid in Canadian money so they lost money in the conversion rate. Also the economics of baseball had not completely spiraled out of control, but if I had to guess, the Expos would had been a middle-low to low market & they probably couldn't have kept Walker, Alou, Pedro, etc anyway. Plus the Canadian Gov't was not going to build the Expos a new stadium because they just basically don't do that in Canada. Every year they put it off, the higher the cost, too. I think the Expos would be another Oakland A's / pre-2012 Marlins case.

Yes! No divisions, 1-4 seeding. The problem is, baseball doesn't like big divisions or teams "in 10th place" but that's stupid because people can read how many games out teams are. MLB just wants to sell more T-shirts & caps with divisions. And if MLB had half a brain, if they complained about uneven divisions in the National League, they could have easily broken them into 4 even divisions. That would probably be: Giants, Dodgers, Padres, D-Backs. Rockies, Astros, Braves, Pirates. Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, Reds. Phillies, Nats, Mets & Marlins.

Interesting, never knew that about the Expos. Learning something new

I agree, a 1-4 spot makes the most sense and rewards teams with the best records. No need to have these 2 WC nonsense. Another good point. I never understood why the NL Central was so absurd with 6 teams in one division. I blame Interleague for making it that way because they wanted almost 5 vs 5. What I didn't get was if 2 NL teams were going to be left out, why not just make the NL west 6 teams with the Astros moving and just have 2 NL west teams 'left out' at one point. Interleague is just so maddening!

As for the recent news, another perfect game, this time King Felix. This is just crazy how many PG/No hitters there have been this year.

Also disappointing news about Giants of Melky Cabrera being caught on extra testosterone. So he gets a 50 game ban. 45 this year and 5 more (either for the playoffs {if they make it} and/or next year). I was really rooting for him too. How can he be so stupid?

blackmage8472

[116]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 15

MajLorne wrote:
    As for the recent news, another perfect game, this time King Felix. This is just crazy how many PG/No hitters there have been this year. Also disappointing news about Giants of Melky Cabrera being caught on extra testosterone. So he gets a 50 game ban. 45 this year and 5 more (either for the playoffs {if they make it} and/or next year). I was really rooting for him too. How can he be so stupid?

I read an article last year where someone noted the average ERA of pitchers has dropped over the last couple of years. The conclusion was there were less hitters using steroids. So it's kinda funny you have one of this year's top hitters admitting to PED usage.

On the topic of Cabrera "how can he be so stupid," It was rumored that teams were starting to see him as the runner up FA prize to Josh Hamilton suggesting a payday north of $60M. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more players are juicing.

drudager

[117]Aug 17, 2012

MajLorne wrote:
    I never understood why the NL Central was so absurd with 6 teams in one division. I blame Interleague for making it that way because they wanted almost 5 vs 5. What I didn't get was if 2 NL teams were going to be left out, why not just make the NL west 6 teams with the Astros moving and just have 2 NL west teams 'left out' at one point. Interleague is just so maddening!

There's an easy explanation on why the Astros were in the N.L. Central & not the N.L. West: 2-hour time difference. It's the same reason why the Rangers hate being in the A.L. West, because of all those 9pm West Coast starts. It doesn't make much sense to put a team in the Central Time Zone with the Dodgers, Padres, Giants or Angels, Mariners & A's. Not only will the Astros have to deal with facing a whole new league of pitchers & hitters as well as adding the very expensive DH salary to payroll, they're going to have (probably) 27 of 81 road games with a 9pm local start time thanks to the unbalanced schedule, and that blows.

If there was a balanced schedule, playing their divisional opponents 12 times each total; it would be 18 (@SEA, @OAK, @ANA) 9pm starts & everybody else in the A.L. would have 17 (6 teams) or 18 (remaining 4 teams) of them too. Of course there would be some 1pm starts at the end of some series, so the number would be lower. It would have made much more sense to bring the Milwaukee Brewers back to the A.L. Central; especially time-zone wise & given history.

drudager

[118]Aug 17, 2012
    blackmage8472 wrote:

I read an article last year where someone noted the average ERA of pitchers has dropped over the last couple of years. The conclusion was there were less hitters using steroids. So it's kinda funny you have one of this year's top hitters admitting to PED usage.

On the topic of Cabrera "how can he be so stupid," It was rumored that teams were starting to see him as the runner up FA prize to Josh Hamilton suggesting a payday north of $60M. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more players are juicing.

There are plenty of players juicing - they're just smarter about it, given plenty of notice before testing & some are probably using designer stuff not yet detectable. My feeling is Cabrera was hoping he wouldn't get tested (I think it's like 3 per team at least once during the season & Spring Training but that info might be outdated) until after he landed his impending big free agent contract. But given MLB's track record especially with Manny Ramirez who was obviously well past his prime & a positive test still got offers; Cabrera will still probably get his big payday, tho likely only a few million less per season & with clauses. He probably cost himself a $110M-$175M contract but will still get at least $60M-$90M anyway. He wasn't a Hall of Famer anyway so that point is moot. He'll get plenty to retire comfortably. It's just absolutely ridiculous how much players make today.

drudager

[119]Aug 17, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

I don't have the heart to tell Dolph that Le Stade Olympique de Montr�al is now primarily used for soccer.

As for Royals vs. Pirates-- considering how Pittsburgh is playing this year, I would watch.

Okay - how about Royals v Brewers, Royals v Cubs, Royals v Astros (ugh) or pre-Votto Reds v Royals? Looking at the standings, I see the 65-53 Pirates are 3-7 in last 10 & are making it interesting for a winning season. Aside from the Reds, they have a really soft schedule the rest of the way.

HelloStuart

[120]Sep 8, 2012
    Brandon McCarthy... oof.