Forums: Sports: 2012 Major League Baseball

petenv

[121]Sep 8, 2012
    • level: 4

How about the Baltimore Orioles. Do you think that they can win the American League East ?

pete

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[122]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 63
    petenv wrote:

How about the Baltimore Orioles? Do you think that they can win the American League East?

It's very possible, though I'd give the Yankees the edge in that division. I can picture a Bombers-O's ALCS, though.

drudager

[123]Sep 18, 2012
    • level: 13
    HelloStuart wrote:
    petenv wrote:

How about the Baltimore Orioles? Do you think that they can win the American League East?

It's very possible, though I'd give the Yankees the edge in that division. I can picture a Bombers-O's ALCS, though.

I can tell you Selig & ESPN are completely rooting for the Yankees.

MajLorne

[124]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 21
    Yeah, only for ESPN to root against the Yankees. With Boston done long ago, they've been hyping up Tampa against the Yankees. I won't comment much on the AL East race, because with 1 game separating the Yankees and O's, even I can't say for sure who will win the division. Based on the schedule, the Yankees have an easier one and that might be enough to win. The high risp left on base is still very troubling and the main reason why the race is as tight as it is. The 2 wins against the A's in walk off fashion were encouraging signs like the way 2009 was, but to win in 14 innings... I have my doubts about the team. Andy is back and Hughes seems to be stringing together some good starts. I still think the rotation is probably decent enough, the (timely) hitting needs a lot of work.

drudager

[125]Sep 25, 2012
    That and the left side of the infield is 100 years old. I think Texas will probably go to the World Series again. If a team from the A.L. Central went instead, that would be very sad. I'm positive Selig is rooting for the Yankees. He hates Tampa with a passion & their little tiny market of fans who don't show up to games. Yankees mean big bucks for the advertisers & ratings. No reason to hype Tampa since they're basically out of the Wild Card unless they sweep the Orioles. If the Orioles actually made the playoffs, would anybody show up? And do Orioles fans remember that they used to be Orioles fans?

drudager

[126]Sep 25, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    petenv wrote:

Keep in mind, Stu, the old rule of division winners NOT playing the Wild Card in the same division is gone:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=36405618&vkey=pr_mlb&ymd=20120809

So it could be a Yankees-Orioles ALDS.

MajLorne

[127]Sep 28, 2012

Well Jeter and ARod are old, but Jeter is still doing pretty well for his age and the kid that was supposed to replace him, Nunez is doing what he always did well, getting hits. I'm still more concerned about the high risp than old fielders. That is a little scary based on how poorly the Yankees did against them in that last series and to face the Os in the division, but I would probably take the Os over the Tigers. Anyone but the Tigers or Angels in a divisional round...

But yeah, 1997 was the last year the O's were still relevant before Boston came back to reclaim the #2 spot in the division.

Lol, yeah, Bud was probably very pissed about the Rays-Phillies WS. I so hope for TB's sake they find some other city or just contract. It's just an embarassment to see such a decent team get such a terrible home fan base. The Cubs could 'kill' to have the team TB has and could afford to add higher priced vets to support the team or keep the core players intact.

Edited on 09/28/2012 10:27pm

HelloStuart

[128]Oct 4, 2012
    My wild card playoff picks are Baltimore and St. Louis.

MajLorne

[129]Oct 5, 2012
    I'm just glad everything wrapped up neatly on the last day. I'm still shocked the A's won the division meaning Texas will have to face the O's. Did not expect this at all. I'm still more surprised the A's got this hot this late.

Sucks for the Dodgers, that big trade and they couldn't get in to the playoffs. Perhaps next year...

Poor Bobby V, I don't think anyone can fix Boston at this point.

drudager

[130]Oct 5, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

Saunders over Darvish? Really?

drudager

[131]Oct 5, 2012
    MajLorne wrote:

Poor Bobby V, I don't think anyone can fix Boston at this point.

Bobby V is antiquated in today's MLB. But, he should had been rewarded with allowing to stay in his 2nd year of his contract; getting vastly overpaid Red Sox players pissed off & traded to the Dodgers. Now they can go after Greinke, Peavy, Kyle Lohse, etc. They also have Daisuke Matsuzaka ($10M) & Ortiz ($14,575,000), Jenks ($6M), Byrd ($6.5M) coming off payroll, too. They have only $44.4M committed to 2013 payroll.

drudager

[132]Oct 6, 2012
    Cardinals/Braves 8th inning: no way you call Infield Fly rule on that. Not ordinary effort, way too deep. That's the left fielder's ball.

However, Instant Replay is not the answer. Challenges are not the answer, because who is to say how many challenges are allowed - maybe one game needs none while another needs like 8. The answer is more umpires on the field, and better trained ones at that. They should be retested & take a course before every season & before the playoffs start.

Why do these blown calls keep happening every October? Obviously when the games matter most, the umpires suddenly can't remember how to do their job correctly. Oh, and fire Joe West.

HelloStuart

[133]Oct 6, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Saunders over Darvish? Really?

The O's know how to squeeze out runs. Last night proved that.

As for my Division Series picks:

Washington over St. Louis in 5
    Cincinnati over San Francisco in 5
    New York over Baltimore in 4
    Detroit over Oakland in 5

HelloStuart

[134]Oct 13, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    As for my Division Series picks:

Washington over St. Louis in 5
    Cincinnati over San Francisco in 5
    New York over Baltimore in 4
    Detroit over Oakland in 5

Well, I was half right. I had a hunch all four series would go the distance.

As for the LCS, I'm picking St. Louis in 7 (do or die, what can I say?) and Detroit in 6.

drudager

[135]Oct 13, 2012

I'm going to have to root for Detroit, despite my purist & team leanings.

SF has the better pitching, so I gotta go with them for the NLCS. The Cardinals have Carpenter back but they lost Garcia.

I hope all 3 remaining series are sweeps just to piss Bud Selig off.

drudager

[136]Oct 26, 2012
    Hmmm. Cardinals blow a 3-1 NLCS & Tigers sweep the Yankees. A Tigers/Giants World Series & the Giants are up 2-0 & Verlander got rocked in Game 1. Tigers get their DH back.

HelloStuart

[137]Nov 5, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    Hmmm. Cardinals blow a 3-1 NLCS & Tigers sweep the Yankees. A Tigers/Giants World Series & the Giants are up 2-0 & Verlander got rocked in Game 1. Tigers get their DH back.

Overall, the Giants' pitching was just too strong. They knew Cabrera and Prince's every weakness. My belated congrats to the Giants.