Forums: Sports: gymnastics under age

 

under age??

  • Avatar of munchlax99

    munchlax99

    [1]Aug 15, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 219

    who looks the most under age??(under 16)

    i think china

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Pikachu_2121

    Pikachu_2121

    [2]Aug 15, 2008
    • member since: 08/07/08
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 975

    One of the Chinese gymnasts was under age

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NejiShikamaru

    NejiShikamaru

    [3]Aug 15, 2008
    • member since: 08/19/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 3,371
    ^ Rumored to be 13ish I believe. I'm in the US, don't really care how we do, I like having the medal count up high for us, but I don't like it if any team cheats. But, nothing official yet, I was watching the news, they said had the US won gold and China silver, then it wouldn't be a big deal...lol for the other teams then.
    Edited on 08/15/2008 6:15pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [4]Aug 15, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,094
    I think you're a little confused, MunchLax. China has been accused of fudging birth certificates on the Women's Gymnastics Team, not the US, and this is not the first time this has happened. Though it would be impressive to see a 14-year-old do these feats, there's an age limit set because of child labor laws.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of munchlax99

    munchlax99

    [5]Aug 15, 2008
    • member since: 12/02/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 219

    I have my facts straigt!!

    I know china is underage and us isnt really!

    But i made a poll and added my home country.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [6]Aug 16, 2008
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    HelloStuart wrote:
    I think you're a little confused, MunchLax. China has been accused of fudging birth certificates on the Women's Gymnastics Team, not the US, and this is not the first time this has happened. Though it would be impressive to see a 14-year-old do these feats, there's an age limit set because of child labor laws.
    Actually according to gymnast experts the younger the better seeing that because they are shorter they usually weigh less which dampens the toll on their bodies and it also makes their flips faster. Plus their more flexible, though the down side is that despite this advantage because they're so young it could have lasting consequences on their bone development. Some even say that another advantage they have over older gymnasts is that they're more fearless though I think thats just piling on seeing that fearlessness is more of a mindset and depends on the individual.
    http://www.syracuse.com/have-you-heard/index.ssf/2008/08/does_china_have_an_unfair_adva.html
    "Gymnastics experts say younger gymnasts have the advantage of being lighter and often more fearless."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080813084656AAlVTTL
    Edited on 08/16/2008 3:22am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [7]Aug 16, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    One of the U.S. news organizations (I don't remember if it was the AP or the New York Times or someone else) discovered a webpage from the official Chinese news agency that said one of the Chinese gymnasts' age was 13 as recently as earlier this year. The U.S. news agency saved a copy of the webpage before it was taken down by the Chinese agency.

    Although I have been a bit dismissive of the claims and the griping, I think this new evidence is pretty persuasive. It was China's own official news agency that posted the story.

    As for the benefits of younger gymnasts, I'm reading conflicting statements from the people protesting. On the one hand, they say that younger gymnasts should be protected because the pressure of competing on the most prominent world stage is too much for young children. Then in the very same articles, some of these people say that it's an unfair advantage to have younger gymnasts because they don't fully understand the situation so they don't feel the pressure as much as older gymnasts do. Huh?

    But the bottom line is that the rules are the rules. Everyone needs to follow them so if the Chinese government has been shown to have cheated on the age-limit rule, then the international gymnastics federation and the IOC need to consider some type of sanction. I don't know how you would take away a team gold medal in one of the most prominent sports of the Summer Olympics from the host nation but that would have to be on the table, I'd think. That might be too messy for everyone though, so maybe they would wait until after the Games are over and put some new type of verification procedures in place, targeted at the Chinese team in the future.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Finalsequel

    Finalsequel

    [8]Aug 17, 2008
    • member since: 05/02/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 1,793
    Everytinhg I've heard says that the IOC can't take away the medal. They only require a passport as proof of age. Its just like the steroids scandal in MLB. There is nothing we can do about the past. We just have to hope they come up with tougher requirements for the 2012 games.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tvfanatic91

    tvfanatic91

    [9]Aug 17, 2008
    • member since: 06/19/05
    • level: 44
    • rank: Golden Boy
    • posts: 5,654
    I think there shouldn't be an age limit for the Gymnastics. If there parents, coach, and country allow them then they should be allowed to compete.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of simpsonian100

    simpsonian100

    [10]Aug 18, 2008
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 821
    Some of those Chinese gymnasts don't just look 13 or 14, but I think some of them look as young as 10 or 11. Some of them probably just look younger than they are, but I know they couldn't all fit the proper age limit, and if it's found out with proof that the age limit was violated, they should lose their gold.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [11]Aug 18, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,094
    simpsonian100 wrote:
    Some of those Chinese gymnasts don't just look 13 or 14, but I think some of them look as young as 10 or 11. Some of them probably just look younger than they are, but I know they couldn't all fit the proper age limit, and if it's found out with proof that the age limit was violated, they should lose their gold.

    Not to stereotype, but non-white people always seem to look younger than they actually are. I've noticed that for as long as I can remember. In many ways, it works to their benefit.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [12]Aug 18, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Alicia Sacramone also pointed out that she doesn't look like she's 20.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of deckzone3000

    deckzone3000

    [13]Aug 22, 2008
    • member since: 08/03/05
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 8,266
    Why'd they change the rule anyway?
    One of our former gymnasts said she wouldn't have been able to compete back in her time if they had the 16+ age rule.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [14]Aug 22, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,094
    deckzone3000 wrote:
    Why'd they change the rule anyway?
    One of our former gymnasts said she wouldn't have been able to compete back in her time if they had the 16+ age rule.

    It's a question of maturity. There's a reason why you don't see teenagers in Major League Baseball or the NFL, because the vast majority of them aren't ready to play at the highest level possible. I'm happy that the NBA set an age limit, but they should probably raise it to 20. I mean, is there really a world of difference between an 18-year-old and a 19-year-old in regards to talent and skill?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MegaGirl84

    MegaGirl84

    [15]Aug 23, 2008
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 658
    Those Chinese gymnasts have to learn that winning at any price is just not winning at all. I say this in terms of encouragement of honesty.
    Edited on 08/23/2008 5:13pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [16]Aug 23, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,094
    MegaGirl84 wrote:
    Those Chinese gymnasts have to learn that winning at any price is just not winning at all. I say this in terms of encouragement of honesty.

    Sadly, communist countries don't understand that. Look at East Germany and how they gave their gymnasts steroids in the 1970s. Those little girls didn't know they were being doped until they started experiencing its aftereffects in adulthood (shriveled breasts, inability to conceive, etc.).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 123home123

    123home123

    [17]Aug 23, 2008
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 55
    • rank: Bounty Dog
    • posts: 11,760
    Unfortunately many U.S. athletes have been caught doping in recent decades too, although it wasn't on an institutionalized basis as it was in the former Soviet bloc.

    ***

    During the interview with IOC President Jacques Rogge, Bob Costas said that there were now allegations of ineligibility based on age for five of the Chinese women gymnasts. Previously questions had been raised about only three of those gymnasts.
    Edited on 08/23/2008 9:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MegaGirl84

    MegaGirl84

    [18]Aug 26, 2008
    • member since: 07/20/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 658
    HelloStuart wrote:
    MegaGirl84 wrote:
    Those Chinese gymnasts have to learn that winning at any price is just not winning at all. I say this in terms of encouragement of honesty.

    Sadly, communist countries don't understand that. Look at East Germany and how they gave their gymnasts steroids in the 1970s. Those little girls didn't know they were being doped until they started experiencing its aftereffects in adulthood (shriveled breasts, inability to conceive, etc.).


    I say steriods should be outlawed. Those communist countries are not going to get anywhere if they don't learn the value of pure athletic honesty and strength.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [19]Aug 26, 2008
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,094
    MegaGirl84 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    MegaGirl84 wrote:
    Those Chinese gymnasts have to learn that winning at any price is just not winning at all. I say this in terms of encouragement of honesty.

    Sadly, communist countries don't understand that. Look at East Germany and how they gave their gymnasts steroids in the 1970s. Those little girls didn't know they were being doped until they started experiencing its aftereffects in adulthood (shriveled breasts, inability to conceive, etc.).

    I say steroids should be outlawed. Those communist countries are not going to get anywhere if they don't learn the value of pure athletic honesty and strength.

    Um... steroids already are outlawed from Olympic competition, and China is the last remaining Communist world power.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bradnine

    bradnine

    [20]Aug 26, 2008
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 46
    SHould this not read, "Underage Gymnasts"?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.