TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Sports: National Lacrosse League/Major Lacrosse League 2012

 
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [1]Mar 10, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365

    The NLL is in the middle of their 2011-12 campaign and the MLL will open up on April 28 with new franchises in Charlotte and Columbus.


    The Major League Lacrosse is aiming for two more expansion teams in 2013. Does anyone know the runner-ups?


    Anyhow, if I'm not the only lacrosse fan on the board, here's a thread for 2011-12 season discussions.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [2]Mar 11, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,216
    You have a point; this might be the first lacrosse thread we've had in this forum.

    In the last five years, Chicago has had MLL and NLL teams and they both failed. The Shamrox folded, while the Machine was eventually reborn in Columbus, Ohio.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [3]Mar 12, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    I watched a LaCrosse game once. It was the All Star Game a few years ago when the NHL was on strike & NBC was filling up an afternoon. I was told apparently there was a lot of scoring in that game. All in all it was interesting, but it looked like it was a lot more fun to play than watch it.

    Basically a little sports rule I have: if anybody can play it, then it's probably not worth watching.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [4]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    HelloStuart wrote:
    You have a point; this might be the first lacrosse thread we've had in this forum.

    In the last five years, Chicago has had MLL and NLL teams and they both failed. The Shamrox folded, while the Machine was eventually reborn in Columbus, Ohio.
    Yeah, the NLL has been generally shrinking unfortunately since its 13 teams in 2007. Now the league only has 9 teams because Boston is apparently looking for a new arena or something, so I heard. At least the MLL is expanding, as the commissioner wants 16 teams by 2019. I looked it up and found out that Chicago was one of the nineteen potential markets. I hope they consider a team in Dallas or San Antonio. I'd like to attend a game one day.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [5]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    drudager wrote:
    I watched a LaCrosse game once. It was the All Star Game a few years ago when the NHL was on strike & NBC was filling up an afternoon. I was told apparently there was a lot of scoring in that game. All in all it was interesting, but it looked like it was a lot more fun to play than watch it.

    Basically a little sports rule I have: if anybody can play it, then it's probably not worth watching.
    It does look fun to play. I still don't think I'd be good at tossing that ball (which is like this size of a ping pong ball so it's really hard to see on television/Internet) or catching it with those sticks, but I'd like to try.

    Plus upstart (although the NLL debuted in 1987) leagues interest me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [6]Mar 16, 2012
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,216
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    You have a point; this might be the first lacrosse thread we've had in this forum.

    In the last five years, Chicago has had MLL and NLL teams and they both failed. The Shamrox folded, while the Machine was eventually reborn in Columbus, Ohio.
    Yeah, the NLL has been generally shrinking unfortunately since its 13 teams in 2007. Now the league only has 9 teams because Boston is apparently looking for a new arena or something, so I heard. At least the MLL is expanding, as the commissioner wants 16 teams by 2019. I looked it up and found out that Chicago was one of the nineteen potential markets. I hope they consider a team in Dallas or San Antonio. I'd like to attend a game one day.

    I'm not ruling out Chicago, but it was a mistake to launch two teams in two seperate leagues at the same time. They essentially cancelled each other out.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [7]Mar 17, 2012
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pudgebyrd722 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    You have a point; this might be the first lacrosse thread we've had in this forum.

    In the last five years, Chicago has had MLL and NLL teams and they both failed. The Shamrox folded, while the Machine was eventually reborn in Columbus, Ohio.
    Yeah, the NLL has been generally shrinking unfortunately since its 13 teams in 2007. Now the league only has 9 teams because Boston is apparently looking for a new arena or something, so I heard. At least the MLL is expanding, as the commissioner wants 16 teams by 2019. I looked it up and found out that Chicago was one of the nineteen potential markets. I hope they consider a team in Dallas or San Antonio. I'd like to attend a game one day.

    I'm not ruling out Chicago, but it was a mistake to launch two teams in two seperate leagues at the same time. They essentially cancelled each other out.


    Yeah that's what canceled it out in Chicago The Chicago sports market is already oversaturated with 5 pro & a bunch of minor league & (albeit mediocre) college teams. Once you get down to the WNBA & and these other fringe leagues it's basically a toss up between either going to the movies, a bar or one of these games. I always thought the more traditional & deeper the market, the harder it's to break through.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [8]May 18, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    Rochester hosts Edmonton in the 2012 NLL Championship Game while the MLL's two expansion teams are a combined 1-4 right now. Charlotte beat Ohio, the other expansion team, 18-15. Right now, the defending champion Cannons and Outlaws are both 3-0.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pudgebyrd722

    pudgebyrd722

    [9]May 21, 2012
    • member since: 09/07/09
    • level: 51
    • rank: I Broke TV.com (Shatterdaymorn)
    • posts: 1,365
    The Knighthawks secured their third championship Saturday with a 9-6 win.

    The Machine of the MLL finally got their first win, 16-10 over the Rattlers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.