Forums: Sports: NCAA Football 2008-2009 season thread.

Pikachu_2121

[81]Sep 2, 2008
    • level: 20
    Evolution_666 wrote:
    Clemson got smoked!

Had a feeling they'd lose. VT losing to ECU surprised me the most
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lion4Life

[82]Sep 4, 2008
    • level: 30
    Vandy knocks off South Carolina!

Pikachu_2121

[83]Sep 5, 2008
    Lion4Life wrote:
    Vandy knocks off South Carolina!

That was unexpected, I picked USC

Lion4Life

[84]Sep 5, 2008
    Between ECU and Vandy last night I made out pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see ECU pull out another upset this week over WVU. I'm so tired of ESPN drooling over Pat White's big passing day last week. Woo hoo, 5 td's agaisnt VILANOVA. WVU D is suspect, lost 8 starters from last year I believe and Nova put up 399 yards of total offense on them and 21 points.

munchlax99

[85]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 8

week 1 reveiw

what was clemson losing and fell out of the poll! Alabama is a good team. Clemson should be around 18-19-20!!

Chris wells got hurt!

South carolina ranked!?!?!??!?!?!?

Mizzou good against illinois

WeekRater 8/10

munchlax99

[86]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 8

almost forgot

Ptt and vt What???

Horrible upsets except vt! That was funny!!!

HelloStuart

[87]Sep 5, 2008
    • level: 63
    Hopefully, after last weekend's debacle at Marshall my Illinois State Redbirds can put up a fight against Murray State...

tvfanatic91

[88]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 44
    Well Ohio State squeaked by Ohio U and Michgan held off the Redbirds of Miami. They took the Penn State game off ABC at the beggining of te fourth quarter and put on the Wake Forest game which was already on ESPN2. What's up with that?

Lion4Life

[89]Sep 6, 2008
    tvfanatic91 wrote:
    Well Ohio State squeaked by Ohio U and Michgan held off the Redbirds of Miami. They took the Penn State game off ABC at the beggining of te fourth quarter and put on the Wake Forest game which was already on ESPN2. What's up with that?

Sounds like we lost Hayes for the year again Early word is ACL but hasn't been confrimed.

WVU is going DOWN

bouges13

[90]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 19
    Well, the Washington Husky's have figured out a new way to lose a game - score the potential game-tying TD, get an excessive celebration penalty, and then get the 35 yard extra point attempt blocked... it is different, but I do not know if I like that more than being outscored 51-7 in the fourth quarter over the last two years...

Pikachu_2121

[91]Sep 6, 2008
    Notre Dame won. They didn't look that good, but got a key turnover when it counted, and Clausen stepped up and delieverd some nice throws

HelloStuart

[92]Sep 6, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hopefully, after last weekend's debacle at Marshall my Illinois State Redbirds can put up a fight against Murray State...

Correction- they're not playing until the 13th. This is a bye week for ISU. Oopsie.

Lion4Life

[93]Sep 6, 2008
    bouges13 wrote:
    Well, the Washington Husky's have figured out a new way to lose a game - score the potential game-tying TD, get an excessive celebration penalty, and then get the 35 yard extra point attempt blocked... it is different, but I do not know if I like that more than being outscored 51-7 in the fourth quarter over the last two years...

I can't really complain because I needed BYU to win that one, however that flag was BS. Excessive celebration my arse. Let the friggin kids play the game. With the new clock rules and celebration penalties they are slwoly tring to turn college football into the No Fun Leauge(NFL) and it blows.

Lion4Life

[94]Sep 6, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Correction- they're not playing until the 13th. This is a bye week for ISU. Oopsie.

Well thats kind of like a win...right

HelloStuart

[95]Sep 6, 2008
    Lion4Life wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Well thats kind of like a win... right

With our pencil-thin defensive line? Sigh... yes.

harpier

[96]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 9

Lion4Life wrote:
    bouges13 wrote:
    I can't really complain because I needed BYU to win that one, however that flag was BS. Excessive celebration my arse. Let the friggin kids play the game. With the new clock rules and celebration penalties they are slwoly tring to turn college football into the No Fun Leauge(NFL) and it blows.

Good Lord, I agree. I always hate to see the outcome of a game determined by a last-minute judgment call by a ref. And while I don't like the taunting and pyrotechnic dancing displays that were so popular a few years ago either, I think that penalizing a team for genuine excitement after a big play that doesn't rub anything in the other team's faces is inexcusable.

Also, can't believe no one's talking about ECU's dominating performance over West Virginia. I mean, West Virginia looked questionable (especially their defense) last week in their victory over Villanova, but this is the second upset of a ranked team for ECU in the last two weekends. And while last week they hung in with Virginia Tech, made a few mistakes of their own, and capitalized big time on a few mistakes by the Hokies, this week they dominated. Without a doubt, they were the better team on the field.

Oh yeah, and this whole "USC practically salivating at the opportunity to trounce Ohio State next week because the Buckeyes played so poorly against frickin' Ohio today" thing is also a load of bollocks. No doubt, Ohio State didn't have their A-game today, and no doubt they'll be the underdog next week AT the Colliseum against a stacked USC defense, but to think that they won't step it up a notch is pure foolishness. Lou Holtz was right, you can't play with full intensity every week all the time; sometimes you've just got to get by. If anything, I think the Bucks will be a little more motivated to show what they've got on foreign soil next week than they would if they'd walloped Ohio today. Great teams show up for big games, and this'll be a BIG GAME.

Lion4Life

[97]Sep 6, 2008
    I'm lovin ECU right now, made me some money the last two weeks!

Lucky_number666

[98]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 10
    My Football team is Duke... We won the first game so... Go Duke!
    (I hate Football season... Can't waot for Basketball!)

tvfanatic91

[99]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 44
    Another Penn State player is out for the season. Jerome Hayes tore some ligament and is doen for the season.

simpsonian100

[100]Sep 8, 2008
    • level: 12

bouges13 wrote:

That ref should be punished for abusing his authority. When a player makes such a clutch play like that, a celebration like that is normal. Was Jake Locker supposed to stand still after making such a huge play, and with the crowd getting all fired up and excited? I don't think anybody would've. I've seen celebrations bigger than that that were not penalized.

On another note, I am very impressed with East Carolina. I think they deserve to be ranked, after upsetting two straight ranked teams.