Forums: Sports: What's the most watched TV sport in the world?

bconngemini2

[1]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 1
    I'm doing a research project can someone tell me what the most watched sport in the world is and why do so many people watch it? Is it the NFL or maybe the MLB?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 55
    It might be soccer. It's the most popular sport in most countries in Europe and Latin America although it's probably not even in the top ten in the U.S. in terms of popularity.

GameWiz1000

[3]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 25
    bconngemini2 wrote:
    I'm doing a research project can someone tell me what the most watched sport in the world is and why do so many people watch it? Is it the NFL or maybe the MLB?

In the U.S., it's the NFL by far. Some regular season Monday Night Football games get higher ratings than games in the Baseball World Series. -----------

In the world, it is soccer. ------------------

wikipedia wrote:
    The World Cup was first televised in 1954 and is now the most widely-viewed and followed sporting event in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games. The cumulative audience of the 2006 World Cup - including all of the matches - is estimated to be 26.29 billion. 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet).
    Edited on 12/06/2008 2:56pm

mp34mp

[4]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 16

GameWiz1000 wrote:
    bconngemini2 wrote:
    In the U.S., it's the NFL by far. Some regular season Monday Night Football games get higher ratings than games in the Baseball World Series. -----------

No, baseball is the most watched sport, and most attended as well in the U.S. You're comparing a 16-game season versus a 162-game season? In the end, the numbers add up. I bet those obnoxious ESPN Red Sox / Yankee matchups could beat Monday Night Football ratings.

Edited on 12/06/2008 4:37pm

bouges13

[5]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 19
    mp34mp wrote:

GameWiz1000 wrote:
    bconngemini2 wrote:

No, baseball is the most watched sport, and most attended as well in the U.S. You're comparing a 16-game season versus a 162-game season? In the end, the numbers add up. I bet those obnoxious ESPN Red Sox / Yankee matchups could beat Monday Night Football ratings.

They base numbers on a per game basis, and not on games played... NFL is number one in the US by a large margin. I would even bet that NCAA BS..ermm, BCS games attract larger audiences than baseball. And the looong season doesn't necessarily help baseball, because not all the games really mean that much, whereas, each NFL game has way more at stake since they do play far less games. Just because anyone may want baseball to be number 1, it is not so. Soccer is number 1 world wide, but the actual number of viewers watching is debatable as FIFA has been known to fib a bit about the numbers.

RTTV989

[6]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 21
    The most watched single sporting event in the world I believe is the soccer world cup.

HelloStuart

[7]Dec 6, 2008
    • level: 63
    RTTV989 wrote:
    The most watched single sporting event in the world I believe is the soccer world cup.

Thank you, but we confirmed that four posts ago.

123home123

[8]Dec 7, 2008
    A lot of sports fib about their TV numbers. The worldwide numbers we often hear about for Super Bowl broadcasts might be off by as much as 70 percent. What the NFL is really advertising are the viewers who have access to the game, not the number who actually watch. I'm sure the World Cup organizers do the same thing too, so it's not easy to figure out which sporting event actually has the most viewers worldwide.

I completely forgot about the Olympics. That might be up there at the top. After all, relatively few people in the U.S. watch the soccer World Cup while TV ratings for Olympic broadcasts are usually pretty good. I don't think soccer is as popular in China or India as it is in Europe and Latin America while the Olympics are very popular in China. Since China is the most populous nation, their viewing habits can easily tilt the scales when you're trying to measure the world's most watched sporting event.

Of course, you would have to discount the Olympics if you're only talking about specific sports. In that case, I'd still say that soccer is the most watched sport worldwide, despite it's lack of popularity in the U.S.

mp34mp

[9]Dec 8, 2008
    123home123 wrote:
    I'd still say that soccer is the most watched sport worldwide, despite it's lack of popularity in the U.S.

Or maybe it's the U.S. that's right and the rest of the world is wrong (gotta get every jab at soccer, I just hate it that much). The only reason why a pissant sport like soccer is so popular in the world, because it's basically kickball, and not every country can afford / have the conditions to play popular U.S. sports. Soccer is a ball and a goal - it doesn't get anymore basic or simple than that. "Starvin' Marvin: see the ball, kick the ball, run after the ball". And in the soccer world, it's simplistic. If every country in the world had a climate, land & wealth like the U.S., soccer would be reduced to as a mere young children's sport, driven by resentful parents who think the game isn't even worth the gas for transportation.

RedSoxFan274

[10]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 14
    U.S.--Football
    EVerywhere else--Futbol

mp34mp

[11]Dec 8, 2008
    bouges13 wrote:
    They base numbers on a per game basis, and not on games played... NFL is number one in the US by a large margin.

Well that's total b.s. right there, because if you do it on a per-game basis, NFL stadiums are like 2 to 4 times the capacity of baseball, hockey and basketball stadiums & arenas. Comparing on a per-game basis is stupid unless you have even-capacity seating. This is where the NFL gets a rather inflated high opinion of itself, plus they do the b.s. thing of "buying" unsold tickets to claim sellouts. The NFL is only #1 solely because of the way the league is setup.

123home123

[12]Dec 8, 2008
    I'm not debating what the "best" sport is. I'm not much of a soccer fan myself, but I can't deny its popularity among much of the rest of the world. The question asked was "what's the most watched TV sport in the world?" Nothing more, nothing less.

bouges13

[13]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 19

mp34mp wrote:
    bouges13 wrote:
    They base numbers on a per game basis, and not on games played... NFL is number one in the US by a large margin.
    Well that's total b.s. right there, because if you do it on a per-game basis, NFL stadiums are like 2 to 4 times the capacity of baseball, hockey and basketball stadiums & arenas. Comparing on a per-game basis is stupid unless you have even-capacity seating. This is where the NFL gets a rather inflated high opinion of itself, plus they do the b.s. thing of "buying" unsold tickets to claim sellouts. The NFL is only #1 solely because of the way the league is setup.

That is absolutely right, because I really do not know exactly how the numbers are determined, but I do know that in the US, NFL football is the most popular sport (hear it all the time from ESPN, SI, Fox Sports, etc.), and that the Super Bowl is the biggest sporting event of the year. And I do agree 100% that the NFL does have an over inflated opinion of themselves... and corporate sellouts comes to mind as well. As much as I like the game of football, the NFL and the way they operate is really frustrating in a lot of ways.

swisscheeez

[14]Dec 23, 2008
    i would have to say soccer correct?

CaptainHarkness

[15]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 23
    I'd say either Soccer or Football.

AjSi21

[16]Jan 22, 2009
    i would say soccer, it is more than obvious

GotalSaiyajin

[17]Jan 24, 2009
    • level: 34
    Most watched tv sport is what we Europeans call football

casabonita83

[18]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 20
    I would probably have to say either soccer or tennis. Mightbe baseball for all I know

Chassy10

[19]Mar 23, 2009

That's it - 29bn people are wrong and the two-thirds of the US population who don't like soccer are wrong... very much like the US approach to foreign policy this last 8 years...

In fairness, I'm not much bothered whether people do or don't like football (it's proper title), you are of course entitled to your opinion. But to use your extremely basic rationale on other sports - isn't baseball, for example, just "get stick. get ball. throw ball. hit ball"?! You can't get much simpler than that, frankly... and at least in football there are any number of ways to score and often the beauty is in the build-up. There's only a finite number of ways to stand in one spot and swing at something that's thrown at you....I quite like baseball, by the way, so no offence meant, but it don't come more simplistic than that!

In other words - by all means, dislike a sport, but don't slag it off or call those who like it "wrong" just becasue it doesn't take your fancy!

Chassy10

[20]Mar 23, 2009
    Sorry - first sentence should read "of the US population who don't like it are RIGHT"... meant with just a little irony, of course...