Forums: Television Hardware: dvd player help?

Angelwomyn

[1]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 65
     I have this new dvd player (well, it's secondhand but in good condition). I hooked it up to my tv with all the cables I was told to and it seemed ok. I put the tv on video or channel 3 but when i put in the dvd i can't see anything. I try pressing the play button on the dvd remote and i don't see a picture but I know the dvd remote works because it works when i press power or eject. i don't know if my explanation makes any sense but does anyone have any ideas here? 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taper6

[2]Sep 29, 2006
    • level: 7
    I think they sometimes tell you to try Channel 4 if 3 doesn't work. But in my area 3 does the trick. If your remote has  'tv' and 'vcr' buttons, try playing with them. I'm in over my head here.

danharr

[3]Sep 30, 2006
    • level: 45
    Now when you say you used all the cables what exactly are you talking about?  If your referring to the red, yellow, and white ones.  Then channel three is irrelevant those cables are for your video inputs so you need to put in a dvd and go through your tv and find video 1 or 2 or 3 or however many you have.  If it's connected to your tv with the coaxial cable ie the black one for cable then yes it should be working on channel 3.  The only other possibility is the svideo which is another input you have to find through your tv but it's just for video so if you find it you won't have any sound.  You'll have to connect it in conjunction with the white cable for your sound or it may be the yellow that give sound I don't remember.  Try the combos i've described and get back to us i'd love to hear how it all turned out.

cordell01

[4]Oct 5, 2006
    • level: 6

Angelwomyn wrote:
     I have this new dvd player (well, it's secondhand but in good condition). I hooked it up to my tv with all the cables I was told to and it seemed ok. I put the tv on video or channel 3 but when i put in the dvd i can't see anything. I try pressing the play button on the dvd remote and i don't see a picture but I know the dvd remote works because it works when i press power or eject. i don't know if my explanation makes any sense but does anyone have any ideas here? 

Does your TV have a 'game' setting. Some TV's require you to put it on 'game' so that it recognizes the DVD player. When you put it on 'game' there should be a blue screen and when you turn the DVD player on the logo will appear on the screen.

If you have the DVD player going through your VCR then you need to find the 'imput' button the VCR remote and select either 'L1' or L2'. Both should bring up a blue screen and when you turn the DVD player on then the logo for the DVD will appear on the correct 'L' setting.

Edited on 10/05/2006 2:33pm

firefly317

[5]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 23
    cordell01 wrote:

Angelwomyn wrote:

Does your TV have a 'game' setting. Some TV's require you to put it on 'game' so that it recognizes the DVD player. When you put it on 'game' there should be a blue screen and when you turn the DVD player on the logo will appear on the screen.

If you have the DVD player going through your VCR then you need to find the 'imput' button the VCR remote and select either 'L1' or L2'. Both should bring up a blue screen and when you turn the DVD player on then the logo for the DVD will appear on the correct 'L' setting.

some players require you put it on an input. there may be an input select button on your remote. look in the manual. if you have one.

Pollice

[6]Oct 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    Try putting the channel on TV/AV

zouave114

[7]Feb 22, 2010
    • level: 1

I have a relatively cheap DVD a "Hiteker TL 300" that I hooked up to small flat screen TV as well as an old Sony. When playing DVD's, I only get some of the sound, the music comes thru, but not the people's voices! I'm using the three cables that came with the DVD- your basic yellow, white red. It has the capability for component cables too. Never had this problem before with my Sony, or PlayStation. Is this an unusual tech problem? A friend of mine is having the same problem with the same Player.

Jeff