Forums: Television Hardware: Getting internet on tv

bouges13

[1]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 19

Hi, I am a technology moron... just discovered that the ipod is pretty cool. Anyways, I recently signed on with Direct TV and their on demand goes through the internet. But my question is what would be needed to get the internet to run through the tv? And if the internet was running through the tv I could get a keyboard and surf the net and stuff from the tv it is hooked up into?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LSyd

[2]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 17
    iPod reminds me of Singapore - looks great and certainly works well, but it relies on someone with a really nasty-looking whip telling you what you can and can't do, with emphasis on the "can't".

On topic, I'm not sure how it works with DirecTV, but usually these types of boxes have a way of connecting to the company providing them. Older hardware would have a telephone connection to dial a certain number and transmit billing information if you wanted to watch pay-per-view, for instance. I'd imagine that DirecTV would work the same sort of way, but it would use an internet connection either through a phone connection or some kind of LAN connection which has internet access.

The system probably doesn't have a way of connecting to the internet for viewing websites (although I don't mind being proved wrong there), but you can certainly do the same sort of thing using a laptop with the right video connections or the new generation of video game consoles since I'm pretty sure they all have in-built browsers of various kinds.

newaj

[3]Nov 18, 2010
    • level: 1
    I am not sure but I think there is no device/application yet that allows you to connect to the internet through the tv. But I have read an article online that says in two years, 90 percent of all Sony products will connect to the Internet. It came from Howard Stringer, the chief executive of Sony products.

Another part of an article:

"Think of Internet on the TV like the Web browser. One view is that the Web, a browser like Firefox, Chrome or I.E., will be right on the television in the next couple years. Another view is, no, a PC-based Web is just too complex. The second one is the phase that we're in now."

-Reed Hastings, chief executive of Netflix

stevebrown1986

[4]Mar 21, 2011
    You don't need a device or smth like that to connect internet through TV, you need a soft for that and you'll have a tv on internet, have a look here http://www.onlinetvx.com/

elias_jacobson

[5]Jun 21, 2011
    • level: 5
    I think now there are many TVs that has Internet options via WiFi. So if you have a broadband router you can forward some internet to the TV which has an WiFi option.

EugenJohn

[6]May 2, 2012

Internet TV is booming, now TV online for PC is something usual and more people tend to watch online television because is more acceptable. To view online TV you don't need some special hardware only a device (like PC, laptop, iphone, ipads...) and a internet connection.

To view internet TV channels like Live News, Live sports, movies, music or more... just go here http://www.onlinetvgratis.tv

Edited on 05/02/2012 4:26am

9symphony9

[7]Aug 18, 2012
    I don't think you can surf the Internet from a TV. It usually has just apps they work with. Certain websites like YouTube and video sites... My blu-ray player has wi-fi built in. My TV does not since it is an older model. Most new TV's probably have wi-fi. My blu-ray player just works with certain websites. Popular sites like Twitter and Facebooks are on it. It also has some simple games.