Forums: Television Hardware: is anyone here old enough to remember color tv's from the 1960's?

KimfromAbsecon

[1]Sep 30, 2005
    • level: 1
    if anyone can remember 60's era color TV sets..the first TV set you or your family ever owned..or when you or your family first got cable TV..your posts are welcome here.

My family's first color set..an Admiral Color Console, we got it in 1965, when I was five years old and living in Margate NJ.

Margate was the first South Jersey coastal town to have cable,which only was Philadelphia and New York City stations, which was a HUGE thing at the time considering the terrible antenna reception at the time (1960's)..South Jersey Cable was the original provider,back in 1965.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cdrak0715

[2]Sep 30, 2005
    • level: 24
    We had black and white tvs for quite a while. I don't remember when we got our first color set. Probably not until the 70s.

dbzexpert

[3]Oct 2, 2005
    • level: 12
    Nope, I'm to young. I asked my mom and she didn't remember either...probably because she lived in the 60s & 70s. lol

jhickman38001

[4]Oct 4, 2005
    I was a kid in the 60's and I had some relatives in Nashville who had a color TV, but my parents never had one until the late 70's.

cdrak0715

[5]Oct 5, 2005
    Color tvs were very expensive and complicated when they were introduced. Black & white were less expensive and easier to deal with, so many people stuck with b&w until prices came down (same thing's happening now with flat screen). By the 70s, prices had stablized and more people started buying color sets.

jhickman38001

[6]Oct 5, 2005
    The way things are now you can but a portable color TV for about $50.00, which was the price of a black & white set 10 years ago. It's the normal cycle of consumer electronics prices.

Also, sets are definitely less complicated with modern circuitry. I saw the inside of my mother's 25 in. set that was only about 2 years old, but was fried by lightning. The entire circuit board for the set was only about 6 inches square at the most. The only other parts inside were the power supply and the picture tube. That's something that definitely couldn't be done in the 60's.

cdrak0715

[7]Oct 6, 2005
    The technology certainly had changed and improved since the first color sets came out. The early color sets were very complex and a technician had to come to your house to help set the color up correctly. Now, you buy a set, plug it in and it's pretty much set up.

I remember the OLD black and white sets that used vacuum tubes. Vacuum tubes were "state of the art" at one time (at least as far back as the 50s) when computers required a good sized room with powerful air conditioning to house them. Today, whatever computer you're using is more powerful, faster and 99% lighter than the originals. The same technology made everything from color tv to iPods to cell phones possible.

Stitch888486

[8]Oct 7, 2005
    • level: 14
    I'm not sure but my aunt had an old color tv in her room until my sister sat on it. {Poor fragile tv, to delicate to handle the weight of her rump.} Anyway the tv had sorta like dials on it, and screws to the back that connected to wires with sort of a 'U' shaped metal at the end. The tv also had an antennae and other old stuff on it. But when she watched it, the pictures switched from color to fuzzy color to fuzzy black and white to black and white to fuzzy to...{I could go on and on in a predictable pattern with this} O yea this was all before my sister sat her rump on the tv in the first place.

crazyrhythm

[9]Oct 11, 2005
    • level: 52
    I didn't get my first color tv until 1982. It was a Quasar! Anyone remember them?

VMF-214

[10]Oct 12, 2005
    • level: 55
    crazyrhythm wrote:
    I didn't get my first color tv until 1982. It was a Quasar! Anyone remember them?

Bought a Quasar in 1986 and it still works.

crazyrhythm

[11]Oct 12, 2005
    • level: 52
    Mine went belly up about 5 years ago.

dr_fiero

[12]Nov 13, 2005
    • level: 3
    I remember in the mid 70's wanting to get a Heathkit 26" color TV because it was big - and ONLY about $1000! Remember, you could get a nice car for about $4000 then.

I think I ended up holding off until the late 70's - I know it was incredibly heavy and was a tube set. Yes, it was old and used!

I also had a "pong" game hooked up to it and was considered cool for having it. Then the Atari 2600 came out, a kid down the block got one... and I got knocked down quite a few notches on the totem pole.

Angus_Mac

[13]Nov 16, 2005
    • level: 71
    Our first color TV was a Zenith in the late 70's in a nice wooden frame. It had a push button keypad for 0-9 but no Up/Down buttons, so you could go up to channel 82 or something if you pushed enough buttons. Anyone remember the tint knob that would turn everyone purple or green?

thesimpsons844

[14]Dec 14, 2005
    • level: 20
    My mom might remember.

JohnnySoftware

[15]Dec 15, 2005
    • level: 11
    I was born in the early 1960s. We had an approximately 17 inch black and white set until the early 1970s, when we got a large color TV set that had about a 19 inch screen.

I saw some of the original Star Trek shows in color, when they first aired - over at at my friend Bruce's house. When I watched them at home, when they were first airing, I had to watch them in black and white. It was pretty neat to be seeing them in color, I remember.

That would have been back in the late 1960s. Star Trek aired 1967-1969, I think I read somewhere.

Once we got the color TV set of our own, in the 70s, I sort of "rediscovered" Star Trek. It was very cool to watch it on a big color screen. Just having the different colored uniforms on the different characters really brightened up each scene, made it colorful.

And the acting, special effects, writing, and music soundtracks made that show seem so cool. I think they really had it together on that series.

Blooregard727

[16]Dec 16, 2005
    • level: 28
    Nope not old enough. I was not born until the early 90's.

BringBackTGIF

[17]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 2
    umm.. i think i had a black and white tv that was still functional 3 years ago... i think it stopped working.. my parents collect antiques... i got like 10 functional turn tables and an 8 track player... wierd huh?

paladin7485

[18]Dec 31, 2005
    • level: 3
    I was born in the 70's but our family has had the same tv since I was born up until about 8 years ago. It was a Zenith floor model. Worked great until lightning hit it and they say a picture tube costs like $400 for that model. Tv's have come down quite a bit since then. I remember we got our first VCR in 1985-1986 and it was around $400. My dad was born in the 20's and he used to tell me that the old color tv's just had a colored screen that was placed over the front of the tv to make it appear that color. It was just one color only. Anyone else seen these tv's?

CandaceS

[19]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 6
    Nope, not old enough, but I have an aunt who still has a realy old tv. I don't know if it's from the 60's though. I'll have to check that out, but it could be, or maybe early 70s.

skeeter291

[20]Jan 25, 2006
    • level: 60
    VMF-214 wrote:
    crazyrhythm wrote:

Bought a Quasar in 1986 and it still works.

I have a Quasar in my guest room. It works great.