Forums: Television Hardware: Is Satellite TV and Cable Internet through one coaxial wire

jamey117

[1]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 1

Hi,

I have a dish system for TV, and now cable is available in my area. I am satisfied with my satellite TV, but cable internet is much more affordable. My home is cable ready, can I get just the cable internet and keep my dish all on the same wiring, or do I have to run separate coax for each?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 17
    I'm not certain, but I believe you would need separate cables.

danharr

[3]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 46
    Depends on how it's wired for your satellite it's a direct coaxial cable from the dish but for the cable. Since your home is cable ready the cable company will run a feed to the central hub of your house and from there all the rooms with cable outlets will have cable. From those outlets you can hook up your cable box and in rooms with a satallite feed you'll have the option to run a cable to another feed on your tv from the box and have both.

seth2011

[4]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 5
    With internet, you can try satellite tv software with access to 4000 tv stations in the world. No more subscriptions and you can watch it using your computer anywhere

belial_77

[5]Feb 6, 2008
    • level: 17
    hmm... I'm thinkin you'd prob want to use a DC Block between the modem and coax, if there is some way to use the same wire (the cable installer should be able to tell if your wiring set-up needs to be changed)... the reason I mention the DC block is b/c Sat recievers use a DC current to communicate w/ the LMB on the dish in order to tune the station... while not normally a big issue w/ most devices, cable modems can be a lil fragile to power fluctuations... you'd prob wanna make sure that the block doesn't cut the bandwidth to the modem, or cut out the needed freqencies all together... I'm thinkin they would have to run a seperate cable run from the cabel box to the modem anyway, so the DC shouldn't be an issue tho.

sattv123

[6]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 1

DC Block between the modem and coax is a good idea. Vote for you.

http://www.thesatellitetvsystems.com

satellite tv providers
    satellite tv
    sat tv
    satellite tv companies

satellite television systems