Forums: Television Hardware: LCD HD no picture/sound

lifes_bliss

[1]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    I have myself a LCD HD TV. It was given to me as a gift from a friend who found it left for a garbage pickup. Reason it was left for a garbage pickup, I can only imagine, is that it doesn't work. I turn it on, and the power light goes from red to blue. No sound, no picture, nothing. It is in pristine condition as far as I can tell, no signs of dropping, cracking, or liquid being spilled on it. Ideas?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sfaberge

[2]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 21
    If it was left in the garbage the previous owner must have known there was no way to fix it. It doesn't work and I'm guessing it can't be fixed

lifes_bliss

[3]Dec 9, 2007
    Hardly. To assume the owner knew it couldn't be fixed is a big assumption. Personally, I believe it might be something simple. It appears to have no physical damage anywhere, and looks to have come straight from the box. Pristine. I'm thinking I am not getting any sound because the T.V. is on the wrong input when I turn it on, and the no picture might be a broken back light? I don't know. I realize the T.V. is broken, i'm shooting for "why"

EJamison

[4]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 17
    The question is: Do you intend to try to fix it yourself? If yes, it seems that you are going to try to do it without and specific expertise. If that's the case, then the way to do it is just the way you've started. You suspect the backlight might be out. So you need to change the backlight. If that works then you should be able to figure out which input it is set to. Or you can change the inputs to see which one works. These would seem to be obvious suggestions. Did you get a remote?

The assumption about the previous owner is an assumption, but I wouldn't call it a "big" assumption, unless all assumptions are big, and if that's true, then "big" would seem to be redundant.

lifes_bliss

[5]Dec 9, 2007
    Yes I intend to fix it myself. Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any specific expertise as far as tv's, but I am quite affluent with electronics in general. I'll do what I can when I have time. Let you know how it goes.

sfaberge

[6]Dec 10, 2007
    lifes_bliss wrote:
    Hardly. To assume the owner knew it couldn't be fixed is a big assumption. Personally, I believe it might be something simple. It appears to have no physical damage anywhere, and looks to have come straight from the box. Pristine. I'm thinking I am not getting any sound because the T.V. is on the wrong input when I turn it on, and the no picture might be a broken back light? I don't know. I realize the T.V. is broken, i'm shooting for "why"

I don't think it is a big assumption at all because to assume that the previous owner paid for a brand new TV and threw it away straight away without checking to see if it could be fixed is a stretch. If I had spent hundreds of pounds buying a TV, took it out the box and found it didn't turn on, my first reaction would not be to throw it away...
    Either that or it's been stolen.

If the problem is the backlight you should still be able to hear sound from the built in speakers. Check to see if you can hear sound first, if you can't then it's probably either a power supply problem or it has a damaged circuit somewhere. When it's open look for burns

lifes_bliss

[7]Dec 10, 2007

Assume makes an a** of u and me. all i'm saying is circumstance aside, I want to know why the T.V. might be malfunctioning and how to fix it.

Don't take me the wrong way. I don't want to come off sour or anything. Just sayin.

EJamison

[8]Dec 11, 2007
    Well, you seem to be assuming the previous owner had some other reason for tossing it. Is an assumption not an assumption unless a specific reason is assumed. Maybe. I'm not sure. It's getting to be just semantics. But we all have to make assumptiona to get by in life. Is there a signficant difference between believing that it's something simple or assuming it's something simple? Maybe you should say you *hope* it is something simple. I hope you're right. My guess about the probability of that is small. So, if you're going to change the backlight, you'll have to decide if the cost of a new backlight is worth the risk.

Before you do that you might want to apply a signal to all the possible audio inputs to see if you can get any kind of sound. If power hasn't been applied for some time, I do not know what the volume level would be. If it was muted I don't know if that state is held in non-volatile storage. That would seem odd to me. So I would tend to assume you wouldn't have to worry about that.

belial_77

[9]Dec 11, 2007

Ok, You said the standby/power light kept flashing, right? that means there was a sever hardware fault in most cases... it could sumpn as simple as a connects got unplugged, or an idiot did follow the directions when upgrading the tv's firmware and "Bricked" it... or it could mean a surge knocked out the power supply, mainboard or video processor... you can open it up and see if a connector is loose, or isfthere is that charactristic smell made when electronics overheat and let the "magic smoke that makes them work" out...

before opening the case, be sure you leave it unplugged for over 24 hrs to be sure the capacitors have fully drained (if not, you can get electrocuted w/o it being plugged into a wall socket)... and if you can, get ahold of the OEM (originaly engineered manufactures) design schematics... I found them to be way usefull dealin w/ laptops and other way complicated gear...

belial_77

[10]Dec 11, 2007
    Also, are we dealing w/ LCD, Plasma, projection or CRT? If its Plasma or LCD, you can basically forget about changing the backlights... only one manufacture I know of makes user replaceable back lights (phillips).. but I'm guessing the video processor is blown.

sfaberge

[11]Dec 12, 2007
    belial_77 wrote:
    Also, are we dealing w/ LCD, Plasma, projection or CRT? If its Plasma or LCD, you can basically forget about changing the backlights... only one manufacture I know of makes user replaceable back lights (phillips).. but I'm guessing the video processor is blown.

It's an LCD

belial_77

[12]Dec 12, 2007
    Tru... just noticed that in the OP... my bad... What brand it be? is it a compy monitor or an actual tv? is the Power supply built in or does it have an external "brick"?

RSHughes

[13]Aug 21, 2009

uPDATE! THIS IS A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO CHECK YOUR INVERTER FOR YOUR BACKLIGHT WITHOUT OPENING YOUR TV

http://www.fonerbooks.com/test.htm