Forums: Television Hardware: Magnavox Television Problem

gvandy

[21]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 1

If you still have a problem with your TV please see my post dated 7/8 /11, gvandy

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EllaJones1

[23]Oct 3, 2011

I would certainly like to see the pictures of the parts - my email address is jonesella@ameritech.net. My television is popping and popping and does not turn on for sometimes upwards of 30 minutes. Otherwise it works fine.

lovmyfamily

[24]Oct 18, 2011

I am having the same problem with my Magnavox TV. The green power light just keeps blinking! I found an answer, that I haven't tried yet, but it was at www.answerbag.com/q_view/544023. or just type in google "magnavox lcd tv problems" and it should come up. Also, I read some extrememly disturbing stories about thesetv's "poping" and then smoke coming out of them. I work for attorneys who would jump all over this "class action" if there were enough people having the same problem!!!

lwolf1263

[25]Oct 26, 2011
    I have the same problem. Please send me the pictures. thanks in advance
    lwolf1263@comcast.net

bradg

[26]Oct 30, 2011

This is a simple question, but I can't seem to figure it out. On a Magnavox DVD/Video MSD513E, I pressed the SETUP button, and now I can't get back to watching television. How do I get out of SETUP?

EllaJones1

[27]Oct 31, 2011

I contacted Magnavox and there is a class action lawsuit in effect for plasma televisions, however, mine is NOT listed. The reason I am writing this for all to see is that I don't understand how only some models are listed when they are all plasmas that are having the problem. I think another suit should be initiated to cover model number 42mf237S/37. This set lasted 3 1/2 years. By the time it expired, the warranty was up! So I spent money to repair it and it still expired (cannot be repaired - lovely piece of junk) and they are saying I have no options. The power supply was repaired and when it went out the second time it's just junk. Any suggestions? I know that I will not buy Phillips or Magnavox products ever again and hope that other consumers take the same stance.

jalexander

[28]Nov 3, 2011

We have a Magnavox 42mf237s/37 we purchased from Target in 2007. About six-to-eight months ago we noticed that the set would click a few times when turned on. After a few clicks the picture would come on and the television operated normally. The set did not exhibit this behavior consistently, turning on without incident most days. As the months passed, the issue happened more frequently and the start up time took longer and longer. This weekend it would not turn on at all...just clicked away for hours.

After searching online I also found articles suggesting defective capacitors in the power supply circuitry (bad capacitors apparently have bulging, split tops...very easy to spot). I opened up the television and instantly found three defective capacitors on the power supply board (2 - 680uf 50v; 1 - 1000uf 16v). I happened to have a soldering iron (long story) and removed them. Took five minutes. I ordered exact replacements (plus a few extras) which arrived three days later. Soldered them in (with the help of my 8 year old)...making sure to match +/- polarity. The television powered right up...no clicks. Good as new. $5 in parts.

The most difficult part of the repair was lifting the TV off the wall and putting it back. The skill required to make this repair is modest. Obviously the set needs to be unplugged, the board needs to be handled with care and static needs to be discharged.

Good luck. Hope this is helpful information.

FrankBowen

[29]Nov 14, 2011
    I just fixed my green blinking light, broken Magnasucks TV that showed up on my doorstep and here's how!

I pulled the back off and while resting my hand on the top of the TV I was accidentally pushing the channel up button and the TV came on.

While investigating that I was gently squeezing the circuit board and "pop" out went the power. Another squeeze and "pop" on goes the power.

I disconnected the tiny connector and WHAM! FREE WORKING PLASMA TV!!!

I have turned it on and off several times now and the only problem seems to be that there is no actual TV volume control or even any display. As a workaround I just simply ran the audio through my stereo and now have all the volume I can stand.

The TV is a magnasucks model # 37MF231D manufactured July 2006

FrankBowen

[30]Dec 1, 2011

Since My previous post the TV stopped working using the aforementioned procedure. However, upon inspection I found that one of the transformers has leaked some goo down onto a pea sized six pin spider looking thing and corroded it at the contact points. The more common bad capacitors were in fact good with no apperent swelling or leakage.

After cleaning the circuit board and reassembling the electrical components, the TV was still not working. As a last resort I started unplugging connectors starting with the upper left hand one (looking at the open back of the TV). Turns out that this is the one that somehow switches power or something because now I can get the TV to come on and work every time I, 1. hit the power button and, 2. plug and unplug connector untill the TV comes on.

We'll see how long this works, so far it has been a week

Fingers crossed

Edited on 12/01/2011 12:34am

CBRBMW

[31]Feb 26, 2012

Sir, did you ever find out the real problem with the Magnavox TV? I have a 42" Plasma that keeps making a clicking sound, no image or sound. If you could, would you please send me the pictures that you spoke of in your post? Please send to jon_strembicki@yahoo.com. Thank you for any help you can give me. I have taken my fair share of electrons to myself, but isn't that how one learns? I have built kits from Heath Kits, taken apart a rear projection TV, removed the three boards, identified the IC's that were bad, ordered new ones, removed the solder and installed the new IC's and was very successful in the repair of the TV. Thank you again for your help!

WailSalah

[32]Apr 9, 2012

Hundreds Russian Television Stations

The Internet is now a vast source of entertainment, but now the challenge is to get the Internet on TV. It's where we can find, share and store pictures, home videos, movies and TV shows. However, it would be crowded for a group of people around a small laptop screen to share our pictures, videos, favorite TV shows or movies with friends and family. To address this challenge of getting the Internet on TV, this software or this technology to stream any type of content from your laptop or PC on to your TV wirelessly was built and designed only for you. This new software provides the best way to surf the Web on your TV so that you can use the computer's browser to fully enjoy contents provided by different Web sites. So what are you waiting for, download this product and enjoy the freedom of browsing the internet VIA your TV.

http://www.russian-tv-online.com/

LaTriceDancy

[33]Oct 23, 2012

i need help with my magnavox tv it an analog tv when i cut it on it cuts off and when it does come on there is a black screen. is this sumthing i can fix myself or should i throw it away

greer75

[34]Oct 28, 2012

I have a Magnavox rear projection tv, I cant get the colors to converge. I've tried to manually converge and to also reset to factory settings but nothing is working. Has anyone else had this problem?

chuckweltzin

[35]Jan 11, 2013
    Can the entire power supply be replaced instead of soldering in new capacitors?

justin213333

[36]Jul 6, 2013

Hello, I was wondering if you still have those two photos an if you do can you please send them to me, thank you!

1damnyankee4069

[37]Dec 5, 2013

Hi, I have read your post, and I think you are the only one who can answer this question for me: I have a Magnavox 20MT133 TV. and am having sound issues. I have to turn the volume up to 100 just to hear the tv. It also takes at least 15 minutes after I turn the tv on to hear anything at all. Can you tell me what the name of the part is for this issue so I can replace it? Thanks so much, Pam

g2a2tor

[38]Mar 13, 2014

I have a Magnavox tv, dvd, vcr combo and somehow it has gotten on the wrong channel for my cable stations and I can't get it to change. It goes from AUX to channel 2 but I need it to be on channel 3. What can I do?

Tanice12

[39]Nov 14, 2014

Did you ever find a solution?