Forums: Television Hardware: Oscilloscope

fikkser

[1]Jul 31, 2009
    • level: 1

I found an oscilloscope today. It's swedish. Says it's made in 1954 but a sticker says "changed in 1963". It is calibrated by swedish goverment measure department thing, don't remember when (random people would not get it calibrated from them). I found it in a second hand store for about 30$. I remember when I went to tv technology class they told me oscilloscopes were veery expensive back then.

Picture of it: http://monologi.mine.nu/stuff/oscilloscope

What do you think it might be worth, rough numbers? I haven't bought it yet.

Thyankful for replys

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taper6

[2]Aug 1, 2009
    • level: 7
    fikkser wrote:

I found an oscilloscope today. It's swedish. Says it's made in 1954 but a sticker says "changed in 1963". It is calibrated by swedish goverment measure department thing, don't remember when (random people would not get it calibrated from them). I found it in a second hand store for about 30$. I remember when I went to tv technology class they told me oscilloscopes were veery expensive back then.

Picture of it: http://monologi.mine.nu/stuff/oscilloscope

What do you think it might be worth, rough numbers? I haven't bought it yet.

Thyankful for replys

No idea on its worth, but maybe I can suggest a few things. About half my working life was spent using oscilloscopes in the computer field. The last years of it was spent swapping boards and I hardly ever touched a scope. I began working computer mainframes about 1963, apprx the age of that scope. Those scopes were tube-driven (the guts of the things, not the CRT display). These were not as long-lived or as easy to use as the solid state-driven scopes I used in later years. And they were a lot heavier, probably not a concern for you if you're not going to lug it aboard a plane as luggage. I don't know what's available out there in second-hand oscilloscopes, but I'd aim for a younger one than this unless you just want it for its antique value, an ornament. A casual search of EBay

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=oscilloscopes&_sacat=See-All-Categories

shows a decent aged Tetronix going around $500.

I'm spoiled electronic-wise with electronic appliances in general. I EXPECT them to work, and to work a long time (compared to what I was used to in 1963).

If there's a repair shop in your area that services such things you might ask them IF they could/work on the scope in question and what they'd charge. Or maybe you would ENJOY messing around in its innards yourself? For $30 it might provide a lot of entertainment if you like to do-it-yourselfl.

MikeInman0

[3]Oct 4, 2009
    • level: 1
    I don't know if you are into HAM radio or not but you can get one of these at a HAM fest for about $50.