Forums: Television Hardware: Used WEGA vs. new HD

ConradsLaces

[1]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 1

First time poster... lemme see if I can sum things up nicely.

I'm going to get a new TV... got an Xbox 360, and I hear the graphics are outstanding on a HDTV.

I have a few choices... I found a 2004 Sony WEGA Trinitron 32" flatscreen for $300(US) on the local classifides website.

I've found and RCA 27" HDTV (CRT) with built in tuner, plus a few other features (model HD27F754T), for $348.00.. both have S-Video and Component Inputs - a must have... I didn't realize the difference until a month ago on a friends TV...and my unit now only has S-Video and Composite...

So I'm wondering people's thoughts on the matter... I suppose for the 300 bucks, I could get a new TV that's about the same as the Sony...with the benefit of being new instead of used...

Also, can anyone reccomend a good A/V receiver... I want to get most of my components (Cable, DVD player, etc) running on a the best connections...the cabel box only has a S-video out and Composite out...DVD player has Composite, S-Vid, and Component...

Never really got into home electronics until now really... so it's all pretty new to me.

Thanks a ton.

-ConradsLaces

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taper6

[2]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 7
    ConradsLaces wrote:

I'm going to get a new TV... got an Xbox 360, and I hear the graphics are outstanding on a HDTV.

I have a few choices... I found a 2004 Sony WEGA Trinitron 32" flatscreen for $300(US) on the local classifides website.

I've found and RCA 27" HDTV (CRT) with built in tuner, plus a few other features (model HD27F754T), for $348.00.. both have S-Video and Component Inputs - a must have... I didn't realize the difference until a month ago on a friends TV...and my unit now only has S-Video and Composite...

So I'm wondering people's thoughts on the matter... I suppose for the 300 bucks, I could get a new TV that's about the same as the Sony...with the benefit of being new instead of used...

Also, can anyone reccomend a good A/V receiver... I want to get most of my components (Cable, DVD player, etc) running on a the best connections...the cabel box only has a S-video out and Composite out...DVD player has Composite, S-Vid, and Component...

Never really got into home electronics until now really... so it's all pretty new to me.

Thanks a ton.

-ConradsLaces

I just shopped for a new tv myself. I looked at the low-end HDTVs. But, viewed on a 'regular' channel, without high-definition, these tvs were definitely lousy picture quality. I couldn't accept that so I bought a $300 regular (I don't know the correct term) tv. At the present time it would be nice to own 2 tvs: one 'regular' and one high-def. If you knew a show was on in high-def you could use that tv, if not then use the other one.

fluffybear

[3]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 19
    ConradsLaces wrote:

Thanks a ton.

-ConradsLaces

Based on the limited information, I would go with the RCA. It's new and is HD Ready. If you were to able to provide some more details on that Sony, I might just change my mind.

A Model # on that Sony would be a real plus (the TV may have been purchased in 2004 but manufactured at a much earlier date) in order to be fair but here is somethings which you may need to ask in order to give you a better answer.

1) Is the Sony and LCD (Lamps live ON AVERAGE for about 2 to 3 years and usually cost about $150 to $200 to replace). 2) Is it HD Ready or just HD Capable?

The Sony WEGA line of TV's is far superior to the RCA when it comes to picture quality so normally I would suggest the Sony outright but without the proper data it is just to hard to give you a good opinion

danharr

[4]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 45
    ConradsLaces wrote:

Thanks a ton.

-ConradsLaces

I wouldn't risk an outdated tv albeit a good outdated tv against a new hd one.  Go with the RCA the hd enhancement will work great for your 360 and if you have satellite the 1080i broadcast will be incredible.  Which comes for free btw with direct tv so even your no hd channels will look good.