We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Marvel multiverse is rocking the box-office. X-Men, Spidermen and Avengers really steal the show. Meanwhile DC is able to churn out a single installment in 2-3 years. But on the TV the scenario is completely different. DC has always been a favourite on TV. Remember tananana... Batman. That show was brilliant comedy.

Even now DC's Arrow is ruling the superhero genre in the TV world while Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. attracts a lot of flak, it has nothing to gain from the escapism style of Marvel movies. While DC's Arrow benefits from its movies counterpart being very grounded.

The success of DC on TV now means that there are now many more DC shows ready to hit the TV. Flash, Gotham, iZombie, Constantine are the ones right now with a very real chance of them happening.

Flash is the only series in this poll that is 100% going to happen. It stars Gustin Grant as Barry Allen, the second character in the comic books to be called The Flash. Flash's origin story has already been shown on Arrow.

CW has ordered a pilot for iZombie, also a DC comic. For those who are unfamiliar. It premise can be summed up like this "A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head" ( I have just copied that whole thing in quotes from another website.) The showrunners are Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero creators of the excellent Veronica Mars.

Next is probably the most ambitious project named Gotham. Serving as a prequel to the Dark Knight trilogy, it stars Commissioner James Gordon in his pre-commissioner days. The show is going to be based in the mean streets of Gotham as the city goes bad. The show is also going to show the origin stories of marquee Batman villains such as the Riddler, Catwoman, Penguin etc. It will also star Bruce Wayne as a 12 year old child. It is essentially the Smallville treatment of Batman.

[Edit: Added info on Constantine]
John Constantine has probably found it's way back to live action through NBC's Constantine. Everyone knows the conman turned supernatural detective and if NBC's other shows like Hannibal and The Blacklist are any indication this series can have a very dark and gritty tone, just like the Constantine of comic books.

poll

Also tell us any other DC title you would like to see coming to TV.
73 Comments
Comments (67)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If done well Gotham can be sensational.
Flag
Booster Gold would make a great action/comedy series.
Flag
As much as I like Booster Gold, the BG comics have been at there best when they been doing inside baseball, it wouldn't work for an audience that doesn't know or care about all the in's and out's of DC continuity.
Answering why Blue Beetle scarab disappear from the comics 25 years earlier is fine if you're a real geek, but it doesn't do much for most people
Flag
No chance of a Wonder Woman spinoff? Starring Megan Fox? Just maybe?

Flag
Anything with Megan Fox is just plain wrong, also having cast Gail Godot for MoS 2 we've been saved from Megan
Flag
hellraiser pls
Flag
i meant hellblazer
Flag
I miss Smallville at least the first seasons :)
Flag
As a Batman fan I'll definitely check Gotham but I don't have high hopes about the quality.
Flag
Go flash go ----------------------- zoom
Flag
yeap, they've cast him as well :D
Flag
Do you know who
Flag
Yeap.
Candice Patton : Iris West
Danielle Panabaker : Caitlin Snow
Carlos Valdes : Cisco Ramon
Rick Cosnett : Eddie Thawne
Jesse L Martin : Detective West
Flag
Thanks a million
Flag
I will never watch iZombie. I can't stand the Walking Dead and hate the thought they're making another zombie show. Hourman and Constantine could be good if done right. Something else I would like to see one of the comics companies try is either Aquaman or Namor. I think if done right they could be great shows.
Flag
If the tone and story of iZombie is anything like the comic series, it will be nothing at all like The Walking Dead. It's quite unlike the standard zombie fare, and assuming the execution of the TV show is decent—like Veronica Mars and Party Down—I would recommend it, even for those who think themselves burned out on zombies and/or unsatisfied byfellow comic adaptation The Walking Dead.

John Constantine is a high-risk, high-reward option. The potential ceiling—both popularly and critically—is extremely high, but it's a premise (and a character) that are difficult to get right. Casting would be absolutely crucial for any Constantine.

As for Aquaman and the Sub-Mariner, the budget would have to be considerable to pull off those settings with any degree of credibility. As such, I suspect they have more potential as films than television series, though they'd be films I'd like to see.
Flag
constantine!

Flag
how many arrow seasons are we getting?? how big is Green Arrow in comics, i mean, i didnt know much about him before this show but i dont think this has potentia for 10 seasons like Smallville.. thoughts?
Flag
Well they've already had him up against villains who are considered to be from other heroes stories and if they continue to source from the entirety of DC then I think it could conceivably go the distance.
Flag
As @jasterisk mentions, the character is a product of DC's Golden Age, but he was primarily a supporting hero until his make-over in the 60s, and he didn't get a solo title until the early 80s. That being said, there's plenty of material to last, though it's a rare show, especially one that is organized around a single character, to last successfully 10 seasons.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Green Arrow first appeared in 1941. So not sure what you mean by new.
Flag
Staff
I want to see We3! Technically that's from Vertigo but thats part of DC, right? I'm so counting it! :)
Flag
Is it wrong that I'm not excited about any of them? I've never seen a Batman movie that didn't star Michael Keaton, I'm old enough to have watched the 90s TV version of The Flash, and a zombie procedural just sounds odd to me. And the only good part about the Constantine movie was Shia LaBeouf dying.

All that said, I still love Arrow though - although I'm not crazy about introducing the idea of super powers to that universe at all.
Flag
Arrow would need to introduce superpowers to stay true to its material and also to differentiate itself from the Dark Knight trilogy, it was too close to batman in season 1. That being said I also don't like the inclusion of Roy in Team Arrow. With his super-strength the importance of our favourite hero is diminished.
Flag
I don't love Arrow. Of course I haven't watched it past the first 3 episodes. I heard it's improved. If you haven't seen Batman Begins, you havent seen a Batman movie. It makes Keaton's movie look like it was made by 6th graders. Playtime's over. The 90s Flash was campy, but amazing for its time.
Flag
I too gave up Arrow halfway through first season, but picked it up from season 1 finale and it has been great ever since. You can rewatch Arrow from season 1 finale with exception of 3-4 episoded this season has been great!
Flag
well thats good news because it has a great cast. not so much the arrow dude, but everyone else. I'll watch a random episode and see what da deal.
Flag
Maybe it's the Shelton Cooper in me, but I'd say The Flash.

Though a DC entry I would love to see is a Wonder Woman.
Flag
Wonder Woman needs a new look. So does Craptain America
Flag
Captain America already has a very cool new look in The Winter Soldier, Wonder Woman though needs some more clothes to come on TV. THe live action Wonder Woman movie's costume was just so horrible.
Flag
if you're talking about some stars and stripes leather and spandex with a old school wrestling mask, that looks just as fcked up as the classic craptain america. of course thats just my not so humble opinion. all those blue and red flag themed costumes from the 40s and 50s are outdated and stupid looking. even batman looked ridiculous once. superman's new look is dope though. superwoman's look is dope too.
Flag
The new one is all gray and less gray, nothing blue black and he rarely wears a mask now. No point!
Flag
Flash isn't 100% going to happen, the only thing that's 100% is that it's got it's own pilot.

Also you forgot to add Hourman and Constantine to your little list; forget the movie Constantine has had a solo comic book for over 25 years, and DC have been pushing the character pretty hard of late so I can see a Constantine series being 2nd favourite to get commisioned. But as I've been waiting for them to make the Starman series for the past 10 years that shows you what I know
Flag
My god, a Starman series would make me so happy. Jack Knight, of course. I also think (for the most part) it would fit in really well with the tone DC's been pushing. There's just so little name recognition beyond comic book readers.
Flag
Of course Jack Knight :)
All they have to do is hand James Robinson's comics over to a half decent director and say "Film that" But if they wanted to link Arrow and Starman together there would a small problem with Solly
Flag
Skipped my mind, I'm going to add it right now.

Flag
You forgot that Constantine is going to be on NBC as well
Flag
Thanks for pointing it out. I've added info on Constantine but it doesn't seem like there's any way to add another option into the poll itself.
Flag
Yeah, can't edit polls, I found that out the hard way a few months ago
Flag

Looks like I just joined that gang!
Flag
A proper Batman tv series
suicide squad
justice league
deathstroke
nightwing
Flag
Batman TV series isn't going to happen, he's too important for movies which are much greater source of revenue.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members