So nothing new. Just observing that TVCom continues spiraling toward or past the point of no return.

Lots of shows, old and new, haven't updated with new episodes.

Publication of stuff that editors have added is stalled out. For instance, here. I added material last Sunday, and a week later it still hasn't published. And Preacher is only good through this week: next week it will probably join the ranks of shows with new episodes that just aren't appearing at TVCom.

There's no one to report issues to, as the TVCom contact email is dead as a doornail.

Articles continue to come in from TVGuide, but response is pretty minimal.

Basically, even if all of these issues and more were fixed tomorrow... would it do any good at this point? TVCom has created the reputation that it's error-ridden and non-responsive. Barring a massive publicity campaign, is anyone going to believe that it's changed and come to the site, even if it changes tomorrow?

What puzzles me is, as always, what the heck is the financial plan here? If CBS Interactive isn't going to put money into the site... why keep it up? Those servers still cost money, right? But very rarely, CBSI makes the pretense that it's still doing something. Like adding (and botching the adding) of the Fans of Reality TV site to TVCom. Why they did that... who knows? Even if they spent a dollar... that's a dollar they wasted.

Either CBSI is losing money keeping TVCom up. Or they don't want to spend the one-shot burst of money to shut it down (and does it cost much more than flipping a switch and reallocating some resources?), so they keep it going in severely castrated format. Or maybe both.

But count on CBSI to botch even botching up the site.
51 Comments
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 09, 2018
So "the source" has done it again. My one current show just jumped from episode 8 to episode 45 and is going up from there. Thanks a lot Mr. "Source"! It doesn't really matter though as most of the other episodes have other errors I can't edit and I can't imagine that anyone comes here to read about these shows now anyway!
Flag
Sep 10, 2018
FYI, as I've noted before, "Mr. Source" is Tivo. @JessicaKroeber noted it on her Linkedin page, although it's been evident since the beginning since the cut-n-paste summaries were the Tivo ones. And sometimes the Tivo and TVCom titles matched, even though they weren't the "real" titles.

I don't think the issue is Tivo, but rather the importing feature. It's buggy, and as with a lot of website bugs, if you don't fix them they just get worse. TVCom has always been buggy and required maintenance. Now that CBSI mostly ain't bothering with the maintenance (or doesn't let users report issues so that maintenance can fix, which amount to the same thing), the bugs continue spreading.

The alternative would have been for Development to fix the bugs back in the day. But they couldn't or wouldn't, or CBSI wouldn't pay for them to do it (either by paying the developers, or taking down the site for the time necessary), and so here we are.
Flag
Sep 10, 2018
I guess I missed the Tivo reference. But they must get the info from another source or from the cable channels or the show pages? The bug issue would account for the episode number jump from 8 to 45 but then it continues from there. Just strange! But I really don't care much now as we've pretty much been stripped of most of our abilities here and no one at CBSI gives a flip!
Flag
Sep 10, 2018
I have one current show and this year was season eleven.. No episodes have been added and the season is over. Will it ever show?? I'm beginning to doubt it.
Flag
Sep 10, 2018
It might, but probably not for at least a month. I have some current shows that are already in the system. If they were already adding in the past episodes, they seem to add eventually when the site "publishes". Wynonna Earp and Venture Brothers are twoexamples.

Then there are shows that are in the system, but have never had episodes and so no new episodes are added. Lost in Space and Castle Rock are two examples of those.

Then there are shows (mostly reality, from what I've heard) that aren't adding new episodes at all.

Finally there are shows that are in-between. Like Marvel's Iron Fist. It's a whole new season, and no new episodes as of yet. But it's Netflix, which does the "drop all at once" thing. It might show up on the next publication, it might not. I haven't seen enough yet to determine if it's the first situation above, or the second.

Of course, the site could "publish" in less than a month. Or more likely, more. The last time it took a month or two between publications. But as @sounddude notes, TVCom is now pretty much useless for adding, updating, and monitoring current shows. It has the schedule posting, which comes from somewhere else and sometimes doesn't sync with TVCom's show pages, particularly for new episodes but also for the odd multiple-story episodes like Night Gallery. where the schedule lists multiple stories in one episode combined but the show/episode pages list them individually. But that's another of those long-standing bugs that TVCom said they couldn't fix, and thus never got fixed.
More +
Flag
Sep 10, 2018
Or to put it another way, how it will fail is semi-random. But unless CBSI decides to change their policy, it will continue failing.
Flag
Sep 02, 2018
:(
Flag
Aug 18, 2018
OMG...guides have updated to show data entered since July...huzzah!!! Ye gods, this site has slid if that gets me happy :(
Flag
Aug 29, 2018
That was short lived. My guides entries were publishing within 2 hrs - I hurried to update episodes that "showed" up - but as of Monday the publishing issue returned - just a Gislef predicted. ☹
Flag
Aug 29, 2018
Stuff I posted Friday night hasn't published, so it's been going on at least that long.
Flag
Aug 19, 2018
It even looks like the site is back to the "typical" 1-6 hour "add and it publishes" schedule.

But... so what? Eventually publication will crash again. For a day, a week, a month, two months plus. The problem has been happening for years, and since CBSI doesn't think it's important enough to fix (or can't), it doesn't get fixed.

Plus, without CBSi updating and adding new episodes--as well as new shows--TVCom will remain stuck in the past. If you can't submit anything to new shows either because they don't show up, or CBSI staff doesn't approve them when they do show up, it's pretty limited.

I've noted it before, but does anyone else find it ironic that the "new" episode auto-adding system was put in because not enough people were adding episodes. And now the auto-adding system doesn't add episodes of new shows, either. So overall we get less new episodes than we did when we could add episodes.
Flag
Aug 18, 2018
Yup, Marvel's Luke Cage, for instance, finally updated. Since yesterday, when I checked and it hadn't. That was late June.

And shows with new episodes (like Wynonna Earp and Venture Brothers) finally showed new episodes.

But, a big chunk of it is still meaningless. Like non-editor shows Cloak & Dagger. Sure, the canned TIVO summaries appeared. But if staff doesn't approve anything, nothing gets updated. And shows that need "manual adjustment" to add new episodes (like Stan Lee's Lucky Man, Castle Rock, nu-Lost in Space,) have no new episodes.

Nor was there any "fixing" of stuff that didn't come in originally Like the missing S02E12 of Legion.

So as long as the auto system doesn't fully work, and publication takes 2+ months, and nobody fixes the screw-ups, it's still pretty much useless. You can add new stuff and... hope that eventually it shows up. If the site auto-adding will add the episodes, and they eventually show up, and staff eventually approves them for the shows without an editor. TVCom is basically an inferior version of TVGuide, with contribution being a miss-and-(eventual) hit affair.
More +
Flag
Aug 13, 2018
So, do we say by end of September that this site is done? Do we hope CBS hires a new flunky to run things here? Or, do we look for this site to get replaced by end of year message thanking members for participating and a redirect link to the screwed up TV Guide site?
Flag
Aug 13, 2018
If they ignore updating the fall season guides then I'd say this site it done. I hate to see all this data go to waste. And I doubt they even give us a heads up the site is gone - it will probably just not be here one day.
Flag
Aug 14, 2018
That's probably the way it will happen. It's already mostly dead now. But will eventually just stop working. And then one day we'll try to sign in and it will be gone. And probably with no thanks and no warning.
Flag
Aug 08, 2018
I see a few ads still here. They probably will keep the site up as long as the ad revenue offsets the costs of keeping the lights on.

I'm now using TheFutonCritic to find episodes, as tv.com is pretty useless now.
Flag
Aug 09, 2018
The ads and articles are automatic: they require no staff and no money. Since the TVGuide writers are paid for what they do for TVGuide: CBSI then auto-ports the articles here.
Flag
Aug 03, 2018
Well, I did have a few guides that were updating but even those guides have now stopped. Humans stopped 3 episodes short of the season finale, Quantico isn't listing the series final episode that airs this Friday, Reverie stopped with episode 6, The Affair stopped updating at episode 6 and Elementary has stopped updating as of episode 12. Other summer shows like Trial & Error and Swedish Dicks haven't seen episodes for their new seasons that started 2 weeks ago. And numerous new summer shows never had any episodes listed. Perhaps the downward spiral is nearing its end. I guess when the fall season starts, the updating of the guides will be the deciding factor as to whether TVcom is gone or still hanging by a thread. If the deciding factor were moderation of submissions, the site would be deemed dead and gone.
Flag
Aug 03, 2018
My guess would be that the data is there, but it's not "publishing". Which is the same problem that has been going on since they switched to the auto-adding system and the new/modified publication "tool". It never got fixed, and here we are.

However, then we had JessicaKroeber to occasionally kick the development team, and a... development team. JK has left, and CBSI has slowly weaned the Development Team off of the site i the last six months. And here we sit.

There's no point in contributing, because the subs never go "live". Why should people contribute when, after their subs are approved, they never appear?

As I noted elsewhere, I imagine TVCom can go on for awhile: it's all automatic at this point. And CBSI can ignore the problems. Fixing them would cost money, and they've made sure TVCom won't make money.
Flag
Jul 16, 2018
You guys are still here?

The only episodes to have been added to any UK shows I edit or follow since jessicakroeber left have been duplicates with incorrect airdates. I had been saving shows to my PVR to allow me to add details later but as tomorrow never comes I've stopped this futile practice. I'll keep checking in once a month or so until I see the website closed message.
Flag
Jul 12, 2018
My primary account (spudchick) is locked out and password retrieval didn't work. I submitted a request first via DM to Jessica, then via email when I got the autoreply that support requests should be sent that way.  Got an email that the request was received but nothing else for 5 days now. I think they're letting it die. This was once such a great site, and there's nothing else like it to fill the void.
Flag
Jul 13, 2018
When was your account locked out?

The system was acting flaky tonight. Showing me as logged in on certain pages, but logged off on others and not letting me log in.

But yeah, the much-vaunted email response system has been non-functional even before Jessica left.
Flag
Jul 15, 2018
It happened on the 7th. I just tried the password reset again and it worked! Thanks for mentioning the system flakiness. It's nice to be back :)
Flag
Jul 15, 2018
No problem. There just isn't much for you to come back to.
Flag
Jul 22, 2018
Case in point: the Luke Cage info I added last weekend still hasn't appeared this weekend.

You can see the summaries if you go into the edit pages. They just haven't "published". And who wants to go into the edit pages to read summaries?
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
The guides updated for data entered over last week or two.
Flag
Jul 07, 2018
what's weird to me is it's not consistently updating, Only whatever was set up to automatically feed seems to occasionally come thru. I doubt anyone human that works for CBS ever does anything on this site anymore.. There's whole shows that aired an entire season with no episodes ever listed (Instinct, The Crossing, For the People, Take 2, The Break w/ MW etc.) - though if you click the "watch online" tab for Instinct (a CBS show), you can see clips from the aired shows. Other already existing shows aren't getting updated in a timely manner: Late Show with Colbert went over 2 weeks without adding already aired episodes. Other shows get some episodes sporadically (ep 19 of Blacklist never did get added), Full Frontal, Last Week tonight are off by 1-2 weeks. (and then even the way they title the episodes can vary depending on who entered it) Probably whoever at those networks whose job it is to type in episodes and 'push it' to TV.com is whata triggers these updates is my guess.
Flag
Jul 08, 2018
I've given up on trying to figure out if there's any "pattern" to what does and doesn't update. Staff won't approve the subs regardless, which pretty much crashes the whole system. Game over.

As I've noted before, I suspect the data from Tivo is working at Tivo's end. It's showing up at the affiliated TVGuide.com okay. There's a flaw in how it is imported into TVCom, and it's a flaw that has been present--and growing--for the last year. When Jessica was here, she'd fix it. Now that she isn't, CBSI hasn't appointed anyone to fill her position, so no one does the manual whatever-they-do to fix it. And there the new episodes sit. For existing shows, maybe they come in (Luke Cage), maybe they don't (Lost in Space). if anyone doesn't create the new shows, then there's nowhere for them to go.
Flag
Jul 07, 2018
And some new episodes filled in. All of season 2 of Luke Cage, the last two episodes of Westworld, the last few episodes of Cloak & Dagger.

Of course, the latter is pretty much meaningless if TVCom "staff" never approves anything.
Flag
Jul 07, 2018
It's also a good example of the "spiraling" in the headline.

Why should most editors check their shows to see if there are new episode 1-2 weeks after they aired? So editors don't bother to come to the site, subs to their shows sit in the queue, people get discouraged and stop submitting, they spread the word, more people stop coming, editors become even less interested... and turtles all the way down.

(Eh, I like watching car wrecks, which is why I keep watching. But I'm not most people. :) )
Flag
Jul 10, 2018
Your spiraling photo reminded me of this site going down the crapper. Very apropos.
Flag
Jul 07, 2018
But not the new Lost in Space. Not that it would make much difference if it was on TVCom, since no one moderates non-editor submissions.

The irony (among many: take your pick) is that the original problem was supposedly that there weren't contributors to add new episodes to shows. So we got a system where eventually neither contributors or the system (i.e., non-contributors) can add shows. Yay, progress.

Flag
Jul 06, 2018
Yes, they have and I'm sure it's not because of my numerous emails over the last 2 weeks ;)
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
It's only a matter of time until they pull life support. This week, I'm going to continue saving the unique recaps I've written just to have them. Maybe someday there will be a TvTome type site again that would want them. After I'm done...I'm done...
Flag
Jul 02, 2018
And what are they thinking to buy up and add another database (fans of reality) to this site!!! They don't even maintain the shows that are already here. Are they thinking this will generate traffic since TVcom users are dropping out from this site right and left?
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
I'll admit, I'm not familiar with FORT. I was under the impression it was more of a forum site than a database.

Buying a site just to do nothing with it and basically torpedo the fanbase there is another one of those weird non-financial financial decisions that I don't comprehend. What the heck did CBSI gain from the purchase and merger?
Flag
Jul 02, 2018
i didn't bother to read that post but have done so now. Seems like the new folk from the reality site are unimpressed by the state of TV.com. Can't say I really a noticed a change tbh.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
I got the impression that the FORT users who found their way here weren't primarily unhappy that their site was shut down and they were directed to TVCom.

I don't know anything about the FORT management: who ran it, who maintained it, who created it. My guess would be that it was similar to TVRage: it was started privately, and the owner(s) sold to CBSI when CBSI indicated an interest and made an interest. Why CBSI was interested in buying it, I have no idea and I suspect will be a mystery for the ages. They seem to have no interest in reaching out to the FORT community beyond the very minimum possible.
Flag
Jul 05, 2018
Okay, I guess I don't know what FORT is or where it is or what the Reality Fans is. Please enlighten.
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
It's kind of like saying Fox "absorbed" Lucifer. Or NBC "absorbed" Timeless. :)
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
I wish them luck of it.

Although "absorption" isn't really the word. That implies that TVCom may some substantive effort to incorporate FORT into TVCom. All they did was shut down the original site, post a brief message on an existing TVCom community board, Feature it, and then... forget about it, to all indicators that I've seen.
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
It seems that the absorption of FORT into TV@com didn't sit well with folks. They've recreated themselves online again: HERE
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
I often find it amusing that CBSI pulls the same kind of garbage that Trump pulls, or pulled, or is accused of pulling, or whatever. And yet as a matter of general site policy (judging by the writers, at any rate, who presumably keep their jobs by having similar views to the owners), CBSI is opposed to Trump.

And they were doing his tactics before Trump ran for President. To quote the words of a great sage, irony can be pretty ironic sometime.
Flag
Jul 05, 2018
FORT = Fans of Reality TV. Who had their own site until it was shut down, presumably because CBSI bought them out. Or owned it and decided to shut it down and merge it with TVCom.

Someone on TVCom tossed together a "heading out the door" welcome to the FORT members who were directed to TVCom.

You can read about it here, as far as their "welcome" to TVCom.

The first and main problem with it, from a TVCom perspective, is that it was posted as a community thread instead of a staff thread: TVCom General Announcement or whatever. Admittedly, posting it as a community thread and then Featuring it assured that it would appear on the site home page (which it still does: it was posted on 5/18). But that's a flaw in the system. So rather than fix the system, the staff is working within it.

Second is that to the best of my knowledge, TVCom staff has done nothing with the community or the FORT members since 5/18. And basically "gave" them a community that already existed. At least, judging from the 8/23/14 and 11/22/13 posts that precede it. Needless to say, the attitude of "Hey, let's shut down your site and give you an existing spot at another failing site that we own" didn't endear them to anyone.
More +
Flag
Jul 05, 2018
Check out the Reality Fans post under Community section on front page.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
I perused the comments in the Reality Fans post, so that's where I got my impression of them not being impressed with this site.
Flag
Jul 02, 2018
When they took away the ability of editors to add episodes to the guides in favor of a system that was broken from the start, it showed how little management/staff cared then.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
As I noted elsewhere, the problem wasn't just an automated system (provided by Tivo, according to JessicaKroeber's current resume). It was that it was a completely automated system. Limiting the changes to one person caused two problems: the fact it was flawed put an undue burden on Jessica. I'm sure she had better things to do then fix the problems that Development never could or bothered to fix.

It also meant that once that one person left, if TVCom didn't replace them then there's no one to make the corrections. Taking editors out of the equation was part of that flawed approach, sure. And since TVCom has long-since been notorious for having staff leave and failing to replace them, it was a disaster easily predicted. And it was.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
If the updating was indeed turned over to Tivo, a scary thought has come to mind: could the lack of episodes being added come down to the owners not renewing/paying for the "service"?
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
If you read Jessica's LinkedIn resume, it says that she set up the partnership for Tivo with TVCom and TVGuide. TVGuide seems to have accurate listings, albeit the two-week Tivo ones.

"Manages TV.com and TVGuide.com partnerships with data provider TiVo, monitoring data integrity and QA"

So my speculation would be that CBSI still pays for the service. It's just that they've told/pay Development to fix any issues with TVGuide, but not TVCom. They pay someone to monitor data integrity and QA at TVGuide, but not at TVCom.

It's possible CBSi has stopped paying for Tivo services to TVCom. More likely, IMO, they got it as a package deal with TVGuide and it's the bad coding at TVCom that keeps it from implementing correctly.
Flag
Jul 02, 2018
I believe you have hit the nail on the head! My collection of data for the shows I edit that are devoid of new episodes continues to pile up!
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members