I hate to complain, but it looks like there was a recent (I think) tweak that increases the chance of errors and wasted time.

Setting aside the fact that TV . com is oddly spaced...

...it's right above the "Create New Person" button. So if your mouse is 1/8" off, you go to the linked page and all of the editing you just did is wiped. And you have to go back to the add crew/cast page and start over from scratch. At least in the most current iteration of Firefox.

Putting a link and a button in such close proximity isn't really a good design decision. Kind of the opposite, in fact. :(

Also, the TV . com link doesn't go to the database. It just goes to the main page. Which isn't at all helpful in actually finding the person you want to add, or determining if the person you want to add is new to the database. It's just a... generic link to the main page. Granted, there is no database page per se. But the link serves no purpose except to take you to the main page. A link to the main page is already at the upper left corner of every tv.com page: what's the point of putting a second link to the home page on the page, in such an awkward spot?

Suggestions:

1) Get rid of the link, as it serves no purpose where it's at.

2) Move the link so it's on the preceding line, further away from the Create New Person button. Preferably to the right so it's not above the button.

3) Tighten up the spacing, so that the link is smaller and thus less likely to be clicked on.

Thanks!
Comments (11)
Submit
Staff
Nov 09, 2017
Hello,

What browser are you using? I do urge that you use support@tv.com if you need to report issues to staff.

Thanks
Flag
Nov 12, 2017
As one example, this thread is in Site Feedback:

http://www.tv.com/topics/feedback/community/post/episode-guide-fix-requests-1394657506/

So... telling staff about missing episodes are feedback. But talking about a badly designed link isn't? Color me confused.
Flag
Nov 11, 2017
Another reason to use the tv.com site to provide feedback on tv.com issues, for what it's worth, is that someone from Development actually seems to be on tv.com during the weekends. The e-mails seem to get read a few times a business day at best. Which is great, but weekends aren't business days.

People are going to typically use the feedback system that staff reads the most often. If you want folks to use email for feedback... make the email system faster.

Really, the problem is that the whole system is still rather oblique. I thought I was providing feedback on tv.com, and posted on the tv.com feedback thread. But I'm told not to, and that apparently it's an "issue". I've been here 10+ years, and apparently I don't know the difference between feedback to staff and reporting an issue to staff. I don't think I'm particularly dense ;) and I'm not trying to trick staff into doing or saying something. I just noticed an issue that I wanted to provide feedback on.
Flag
Nov 11, 2017
And here's a thought. If this isn't the community to report issues...

(Is there a separate one? Not that I know of. But I could be wrong. if so, let me know what it is and provide a name/link/whatever. Thanks!)

So create one? and having a staff member monitor it daily? That's what happened when tv.com went to the new episode-creation system.

Heck, have someone from Development monitor it, if it's about Development stuff. Jessica is great and all, but I sometime feel like I'm going to through a third party to describe Development issues, to a non-Development person, who will then translate it back into Development-ese. And since Jessica has herself said that she's short-handed... you get weird things like me saying I'm using Firefox, and then Jessica asking me what browser I use,
Flag
Nov 11, 2017
It's like taking your car in for repairs and discovering that now make square steering "wheels". You go to the desk with the "Feedback Here" sign above it, and the person tells you "You've got an issue, not feedback. Write it down and email it to this address."

Maybe us contributors and users aren't the "customers". But it's not like the folks from GoogleAd and the networks post on Tv.com or register their feedback about the site here. (Do they? I've never seen them) If the feedback forum isn't for us to post feedback about issues... what's it for?
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
Hello,

This is "Feedback Community" at TV.com , where users can point out issues they may experience during navigating the site. Directing everyone to use email for these issues repeatedly portrays staff in a negative light, does it not?
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
It does the same thing in Google Chrome.

Again, I don't know if it's an "issue" or a feature or a bug or whatever. Given it's consistent across platforms, it appears to be a design feature. In which case, this would be feedback about it ("It interferes with editing, and serves no useful editing purpose"), as opposed to reporting an issue.
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
I suppose the other question would be... why? We have a feedback forum for users to provide feedback. We have a PM system. Why are we urged to go separately through a third-party email site to provide feedback?

If third-party email is the quickest way to register feedback and report issues... why is that the way it is? Myself and others are on tv.com when we notice an issue to give feedback about TV.com. Why would we want to leave the site (or open another browser window) and send email? What's the point of having a PM system and a feedback communnity if we have to use a third (and third-party) tool to give feedback?

if email is the quickest and most commonly-checked way to get feedback... maybe that's a problem? If tv.com staff doesn't want to use tv.com as their first and best option for providing feedback, why should anyone else?

If you don't want one particular staff member associated with receiving feedback, create a general account with a general name like TVcom_Feedback. There's already a TVCom_Editorial, so it's not like creating general IDs is some kind of new and innovative process. It's kind of a pain to switch from one ID to another, sure. But a) it's only if you want a generic ID, and b) rather things be made easier for the people giving the feedback than those receiving it. It's only a necessary option if you think it's necessary. And it's not clear why it is.
More +
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
The problem is staff doesn't want to read PM's or go thru form posts...that would require time spent here. Clearly, this is something the staff doesn't want to do beyond bare minimum.
Flag
Nov 11, 2017
Well, more likely there's a general support email account, and it's easier to read that one account, than to check Jessica's PMs, and the other person's PM, and the next person's PM, and the last person's PM, and the feedback thread, and the "missing episodes because our automatic episode-adding system still doesn't work reliably after almost three years" thread. And it's just easier to direct people to one point, and that one point is support@tv.com.

So it makes sense in a time-effectiveness kind of way. But it's tv.com's system: they should make a better one if they're not happy with the current one.

Having volunteers to address many of the questions, which could be answered without Jessica's response, and have them bundle the questions and issues that they can't into a single daily email to give to Jessica, would also seemingly simplify things.

I just think it's weird to have a feedback system, or a bug reporting system, or whatever you want to call it, that involves going off-site to use.
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
Like I said, I'm using Firefox, the most recent iteration.

I guess I'm unclear what tv.com feedback is for, if not to... give feedback. I'm giving feedback on an issue, just as people have done on other issues in this thread. The issue presumably affects more than just me: at the very least, anyone using Firefox. if I thought i was just a personal error, I'd contact support personally.

Plus, there's no way to tell if it's a bug or a feature. If it's a bug, I could (kind of) see why to report it via email. If it's a feature, shouldn't we be using the feedback forum to give feedback on features?

At the very least, perhaps there should be somewhere that gives us a brief description of what this community is for.
Flag
Nov 10, 2017
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members