For some time staff has asked us what other/new functionalities we would like to have on the site. This post is my personal view on this question. Probably all of my thoughts have already been addressed internally by product management and staff. But still, there might be one new idea in the post or in the discussion/comments, or it even might just tell staff how eager we are to take a next step.

Most viewers probably only visit the site because of the episode/show pages, they are always on top of the Google searches. That is a huge potential. I have also been staggered by the number of Twitter followers (70.5K), so a lot of people get information on the staff posts. But we never see those numbers reflected in the comments. As on most of the internet, people will come back and attribute more often if they feel they are member of a community.

Let’s be honest, I will visit the site whatever because I like a lot of people over here and the comments and posts they make. I like staff because they always respond and add to the site. But I would love to make other people see what we see.

The three pillars of the site for me are, in no particular order:
  1. the next phase of the Community Feed, being a personal (community) page;
  2. the Show Community or Topic Community;
  3. the TV.com homepage
I could see different types of community membership for the site. A suggestion might be:
  • Trusted Member/Advocate: Read show information, posts, comments, reviews and ratings; post comments, reviews, ratings and posts, message, chat, flag abuse; thumb up, flag for consideration of promoting by staff, editor on designated communities, earn points and recognition;
  • Member: Read show information, posts, comments, reviews and ratings; post comments, reviews, ratings and posts, message, chat, flag abuse; thumb up, earn points and recognition;
  • Non-member: Read show information, posts, comments, reviews and ratings.
How a member could become a Trusted member/Advocate is up for discussion. For earning points, the present level system or a badge system will do fine, although the present system should be reset as it is based on earning points in a way that is not possible anymore and active community members can hardly earn points. If there could be another system however I would be in favour of that.

The Community Feed, a personal (community) page
When I log into TV.com I would like an overview page that feels like a personal community page that gives me all the information I want and gives information to others who want information about me. It is the next phase of the Community Feed, a combination of the profile page, the present Community Feed and more, adapted to my preferences on the site. It shows/gives:
  • my communities;
  • the community members I follow;
    • have they made new posts plus links (may be presented as a/their channel);
    • have they made new comments plus links to those post or comments (like in notifications);
  • a message window to send a message to all followers;
  • personal statistics (like page views on posts);
  • my tv-listing (transferred from the homepage), or better, a watchlist (see tvguide.com);
  • a possibility to show a/my own twitter feed;
  • alerts on thumbs up on episode reviews (see below, no thumbs down allowed);
  • notification on all posts that have more than a certain number of page views or comments (to be set in the settings page) in other than my own communities as they might be interesting to read;
  • pull down menus with my ratings so others can find what I like;
  • the option in settings to start on the homepage or the Community Feed (personal page);
  • the last time I was online (so others can see if I’m still active).
Except for the difficult to read light grey colour, I like the links on the left side of the profile page.

I would like to be able to maintain different levels of contact with other participants in the communities like personal friend, community friend or non-contact. I would want to be able to determine how much of the information on my personal community page I want to reveal to other levels of members. There must be a minimum set like alias and avatar, but the rest can be set per type of contact.

I would love to have a small program that sits on my pc and alerts me when I get new mails, comments, posts and thumbs up, followers and unfollowers. I would like to be able to determine what I get notified on. It even might be a e-mail notification or something like RSS, only directed at a user-defined email address. Even an API would do so someone can make a small program;

The community page (Show Community and Topic Community)
When I go to the community page I would like it to be the one and only information page on that show or topic, the community around it and every other kind of information on it. The Show Community is a combination of the show page and present Show Community. Some wishes mentioned might only apply to the Show Community and not to the Topic Community.
  • it shows or gives links/pull down menus to all information on the show or topic;
  • it shows or gives links/pull down menus to all community posts (episode posts, staff review articles, episode page discussions etc.)
  • it gives a link to the legacy forum;
  • members who have achieved a certain credibility point threshold in the system (like Trusted Members/Advocates) should be allowed to vote for a not yet promoted post. If enough members have voted in favour, the post should be promoted to the homepage;
  • members who have achieved a certain credibility in the system (like Trusted Members/Advocates) should be allowed to post their posts in more than one community;
  • have writers/reviewers check if trailers/videos they want to put up already have been posted by other members and if so, do not post or send the member a pm about it;
  • an edit button for two minutes after posting a comment; the fact that it is only possible for a short time addresses the issues put forward by staff;
  • an option per communities to block specific posts (like the "Discuss X, Episode X") from appearing in the feed;
  • reviews on episodes can only be thumbed up. Other opinions should be vented by making a new review. A thumbs up will result in a notification;
  • I would like to see ‘share’ buttons on more places than on the post announcements on main community page alone, I should not need to go back there;
  • more pull down menus with ratings as they can be a powerful tools to quickly find the most useful content and highlight what is energizing a community at that moment;
  • I would rather have "New" as the default option instead of "Trending";
  • it would be nice if, when starting to follow a community, all the old comments and posts would be taken into account for calculating the rank (it seems it is now done from the moment you start to follow).
To make it simple, I would like to see all reviews, polls, episode guides etc. in the current Show and Topic Community format. In doing so, the forums should be closed (except for viewing old forum posts) completely. Up to now they are still used for reviews and discussions and those members have no drive to step over to the communities.

TV.com homepage
I rather like the set-up of the homepage as it is, but of course I still have something to wish for.
  • please post anything only once on the homepage as it now prevents me from reading downwards as I believe to have seen everything already;
  • why use a header like ‘Latest episode reviews continued’ just below ‘latest episode reviews’ as this only takes up space that can be used for other items;
  • next to featured community post I would like to see a section of the most popular community posts, like the most popular news section and based on a combination of pageviews and staff judgement;
  • show visible social contact buttons (like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter);
  • show the TV.com Twitter or Facebook feed as long as they have information that differs from the info on the homepage already;
  • show tweets with the hashtag #tvdotcom on the homepage;
  • items like ‘what’s on Twitter’ can be condensed to a much smaller list with one line for number of tweets, name and ‘got to the community’;
  • I would like to see either ‘popular shows’ or ‘trending shows’ removed as I do not understand the difference and it takes up a lot of space;
  • I would like to see two rows of TV.com writers and next to the line ’TV.com writers’ I would lie to see something like ‘Click on photo to see all of his/her posts’. It took me some time before I had figured that out;
  • follow my tv-shows can be removed as there is a ‘follow my communities’ on the personal community page;
  • on the top line I have never understood why Community is singular and the rest is plural. For me it always looked like the tv-series Community. If still separated in words, I would like Shows and Communities both refer to all of the communities and not to my communities feed only (as the only way to get to all communities at this moment is via the leaderboard).

Every page
These are the (extra) options I would like to see available on every page like the pm/notification/communities buttons now.
  • ability to search for user-generated content within the general and (to me visible) personal community pages/areas based on keywords and key phrases;
  • messaging with the full functionality of a messaging system like Google mail or outlook (also: multiple recipients and no character limits);
  • chat between two or more members of the community. The originator should be allowed to let other people in. It would also be great if I would be able to archive the conversation;
  • notifications of new messages, referrals, new followers, unfollowers, thumbs up, comments;
  • a help system (could be set up and maintained by user editors);
  • make a direct link to all the communities, the link through the ‘’community leaderboard’ does not seem logical (see last remark on the homepage);
  • on the communities list, it would be great if the Topics Communities would in some way become more visible (they are easily unnoticed), maybe put in two lists next to each other and not a part of another list (as it is now).

General wishes
Next to the wishes on the three main pillars of the site, I would love to see the following:
  • either have pm’s addressed to writers/reviewers answered or do not give them pm addresses. I can see several reason for not answering, but it could be assessed as rude. Maybe staff can filter them (answer most, send rest to writers/reviewers) or only give the pm possibility to Trusted Members which might get members to attribute more;
  • have all writers/reviewers (the staff ones):
    • respond more to comments on their posts as readers/commenters will come back to see what the professionals think;
    • refer more often to the communities;
    • acknowledge the fans and the fan posts by sometimes referring to them in writing and in links as they are all part of the same community;
  • I would like to be able to scroll through all my notifications (not only the last 20) ;
  • reward sharing posts on Facebook Twitter feed with points;
  • do not only use Twitter and Facebook to alert on new staff posts, but also use it to alert on other stuff like quality featured posts and even invite members to write posts;.
  • promote the site as a place we all can contribute to the success: it may be a unique selling point;
  • all links go to the community pages and not to show pages anymore;
  • have an ongoing topic or help item on writing posts. Not only the procedural issues, but also what kind of posts you like you be written. We know our members like polls and discussion on “the twelve xxxx I liked best”, or “What part of yyyy did you think about last night”, but what kind of posts would TV.com also consider to be quality posts?;
  • I would love a picture cutting tool where I can copy (drag&drop;) my picture into and I will be able to adjust it to and save it in the pixelation needed for the posts (small and big);
  • I would like to scrolling through lists instead of loading new pages (f.i. after 25 members of a community);
  • all videos shown can be seen outside of the US (although I know it is not always possible). If it’s not possible, mention in the post you tried and you will try again later. This will make it more acceptable;
  • get promoted on other sites like tvguide.com like they get on our site;
  • make it possible to save my tv listing in iCal format, so to be integrated with external calendaring software (i.e. Google Calendar, Outlook Calendar, etc.);
  • a mobile app with the same functionalities as the website (what happened to the old one?);
  • the reflection of site on smartphones and tablets should be about the same as the website (f.i.it now does not show the featured items/posts);
  • make ‘removed messages’ visually completely removed as long as they have no comments;
  • the light gray small words like ‘see all featured posts’ should be more visible to readers;
  • I would like to be able to write a message to all the commenters on a post I did before so I can alert them to a follow up post. This might be something for the original writer of a post only or for trusted members;
  • have staff approach members actively to ask for specific posts they would like to be written;
  • invite members regularly for quality surveys, it will give valuable information. These surveys could be about the site in general, specific topics, the reviews or the reviewers;
  • remove the spamming accounts also from the top members boards and in the line below a post;
  • to be honest, I’m also a bit vain, so as the writer of a post, I would like to see where (by whom) my post was shared on the social media;
  • I presume ‘leaderboards’ and ‘top members’ are to acknowledge member contributions, possibly encourage them to contribute even more to get higher on the list or inform other members what the active members are. If that’s the case it might be good not to include staff members on that list as they will always occupy most of the upper numbers.

If you’ve made it so far, you are a true hero and really invested in the site. I have two questions for you.

The first of course being what functionalities you would like to see.

But, if the site would pick up all our suggestions, it probably would mean years and years of work. So we should help them and foremost answer the following question: What do you prefer to see prioritized first, above all the others?
Comments (157)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the problem with TV.com stems from the same place that many site's issues come from, namely the people that run it don't use it as a resource.

They may post to it and figure out how to advertise on it, they may even have come up with some good ideas as to how to maximize it's popular content.

But they don't come to it with questions or to follow their favorite shows, heck I doubt they even follow up with their own posts. If they did they would see how tweaky and, often, useless this site is as a resource.

I'll just give two examples of what frustrated me within the last 30 mins. First I wondered: When is the next Ep of Flash? Mistakenly I thought the Flash page would show me.

First I typed just "Flash" into the search. It came up with many options, even the old series of Flash. But I had to add "The" to the search to find the right show. When I finally found the page, nothing was posted about the air date of the next episode, Tue Mar 17, if you'd like to know. An answer I found on 15 different sites when I did a Google Search.

Then I wanted to post this comment here and it took me several searches, eventually having to bounce here accidentally by remembering some commentator's user names and the creator of the original post.

On most sites I would just open up my NOTIFICATIONS section and when I clicked 'See All' it would actually show me ALL!

And they choose to work on "removing any old users"... I feel like Hockney when he was being grilled in the beginning of The Usual Suspects [I know someone out there's going to know what I'm talking about]

PS: I just hope they have those active dates correct, last time I looked TV.com said I was a user since 2014, even though I joined in 2013.
More+
Flag
It's nice to hear sombody remembered my 'name' :-).

I have my own ideas about the how and the why and I've written about them before, but that still doesn't help us.

IN twe wweks this post will celebrate its first anniversary. I do weep a bit thinking about the number of new functionalities we got in that last year.

What I read is they're cleaning up a lot of rubbish now and I do hope we will get new functionaliteis afterwards. The search option for posts is on the top of my list.

PS You had two 'likes' and an answer in three hours, does this mean new people still read this post? How do they find it? It does make me curious.
Flag
"What, do you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?" -Hockney
Flag
TV Listings
A few things I'd like to see for the listings page. (I used to use tvguide.com for local listings, and am finding tv.com's listings harder to use than that was.)
1. When I first go to the listings, make it possible to remember that I want to start in my favorite channels, not in "standard lineup".
2. It should also be able to remember that I want to start in primetime (8-11 pm), not current time.
3. Make it a little harder to accidentally unselect a "favorite channel". It's too easy to click that little blue heart.
4. I liked the tvguide.com setting to allow you to choose to "use a GO button" to allow you to change multiple things (like date and time) and then click GO to only do the search once.
5. I'd like to see yesterday's listings still be available, or even a few days, so that I could look up "what was it that I saw last night?"

Thanks for your consideration.
Flag
Display order of replies to comments.
This may just be me, but I feel displaying replies to comments in the order they were made (oldest first), rather than the current way, newest first, would make reading a thread easier.
I've also seen occasions where someone has asked a question and it's been answered, then later, someone else gives the same answer. Quite often the original responder gets ignored, as the questioner assumes the top one was the first.
Obviously, comments being displayed newest first makes sense.

Linked to this, as mentioned in the original list, there is no reason to show deleted comments as "This comment has been removed.", if there are no replies.
Flag
I just lost like 20 comments and I have no idea what TV.com may have done with them... Were they removed for some reason? Did they just fall away? Who knows, TV.com sure wouldn't alert you, now would they? -huff- The bugginess of this sites makes me want to stop using it =\

And don't get me started on the "See All Notifications" link that takes you to only the last 25 or so Notifications... Seriously TV.com stop being lame!

[Now I wonder if this post will remain up... But I'm not holding my breath]
Flag
You could write a feedback post about it in the feedback community. Maybe others will join in (I will, I seem to have mislaid almost all my comments between May 13th and now)
Flag
UpDATE - All but one magically returned... I feel like this site is just playing with my mind at this point =[
Flag
It would be useful to have the ability to mark sections of a comment (and post I guess) as Spoilers or Quotes.

This is probably one of the many problems with trying to develop an in-house solution rather than just using up-to-date forum software. Most other forum sites have these features.
Flag
When people add polls in comments, they can easily get lost if there are a lot of subsequent comments. This is particularly an issue for review threads as many people never page down enough to see them.

So, my suggestion is to list links to any added polls in the grey area to the right of the comment block, under 'Trending Stories'.
Flag
Nice one. There is a lot of free space on the right side of the page when either the post is long or there are a lot of comments. Another box like 'discussions' and 'trending stories' could be nice. But I'm not so sure it's an easy one to do.
Flag
I'd very much like a page on the profile where I can see all the comments I posted on community posts. :) Just like the page about forum posts.
Flag
A few weeks ago I started a campaign to make the readers of the posts more conscious of the fact that they can show their appreciation of a post by 'hearting'it. Some 5 other power posters have followed it and have also put the request in their posts. All these posts go a lot of hearts (in comparison to other posts) and I even has some that had as much hearts as comments (some posts obviously are good to read but less good to comment on).

As the main page gives a number of comments on the right upper corner of the (featured) posts, I now feel this is only half the information we need. We readers want to see other liked the post and not alone is they commented.

So I would like to see the number of 'hearts' on the left upper corner of the posts. I truly believe that more people will show their appreciation in that way.
Flag
I'm sure the number of hearts would increase dramatically if there was a thumps-up at the bottom of the post, like with the comments.
I can speak only for myself, but I hardly ever remember to scroll back up again to like it.
Flag
The strange thing is that there usually is an heart at the bottom of a post (just left of and sometimes it isn't. I haven't figured out what makes the difference. But, it is that awful light grey that people don't notice instead of the blue on top.
Flag
That's interesting. I'd never noticed that, but the results of my not-at-all-comprehensive testing is that the strip at the bottom only appears on "Story" posts, not discussions.
Flag
You had it figured out in minutes, which makes you smart and me dumb :-). I checked it and you are completely right. I will learn and only do posts and no discussions any more. I also will make this in a separate feedback post as this seems (looking for right word that still sounds nice) ........ odd.
Flag
You know what would also help, explaining to the users why a comment was removed when it was not spam, offensive or disrespectful.
Flag
I agree to that, although I have never experienced it.

Btw, the most obvious reason would be that the writer may not have seen it as spam, offensive or disrespectful but either staff or someone else did.
Flag
I also noticed a weird glitch on my list of favorites, I went over 100 and you now have to expand the list to see them all... except when I expand the list it's just a mirror image of the shows already on my list except counting backwards. It's kind of surreal but also very lame =\
Flag
At least you can get a 100 over there. On the communities there's a maximum of 50 (with no expanding) and on comments only 25 (after expanding). I've mentioned that last one in my post as I often have more then 25 comments because I am asleep (being European) when the US has it's evening. I know it's my own mistake as I write posts. But Jessica's suggestion to check more often won't do for me :-).
Flag
HASHTAGs would be nice! Also I have found it almost impossible to search comments that have not received a "thumbs up" That does not seem proper.
Flag
You can put in hashtags in any comment or post without any problem, but you probably mean something different. What would you want to achieve with it? That we can search for that hashtag on the site?
Flag

Voting Fraud for Episode MVP on Blue Bloods (S4E20)

It is clear that someone has hijacked the voting for MVP on Blue Bloods, Season 4, Episode 20. The automated votes are being cast for Jamie Reagan (Will Estes). A close analysis will reveal that no one can come closer than 3 votes before a flurry of votes buoy up Jamie Reagan's votes. It is definitely automated. This may be something that is true across the board on your website. It is very easy to game the voting. Someone has decided to do it.

http://www.tv.com/shows/blue-bloods/custody-battle-3025369/comments/?msg=

Flag
Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this, it's a fantastic post and your efforts (as always Sir) are appreciated.
I've still not quite had time to go through everything, you have far too many ideas, but for starters I just wanted to say that two functions I never want this site to adopt are
*forcing people to log in via Facebook and changing the comments to Facebook - I will stop logging in, posting and commenting here if that happens.
*A thumbs down option. If people have a problem with a comment they should announce themselves with a (hopefully) carefully constructed response.

Other than that I think the Communities have to eventually replace the forum and for that to happen they need to be easier to use and include a lot more functions, as well as an improved individual user "homepage".

On the question of the default order of Community feeds I understand both sides of the New v Trending debate, personally I don't mind it defaulting to Trending, but it's not difficult to manually change the order. I also like the idea of trending posts being included on the TV.com Twitter feed regardless of who wrote them (staff or contributor), not that I'm a Twitterer!

I saw someone (I think it was @grumpyclown or maybe it was you @Rolamb) suggest being able to send a PM to multiple people or simply "all followers", I think this is a good idea.

Being able to "Subscribe" to a particular post is a great idea and I think I've just found my top priority! Thanks @dhaworth.

With regard to TV listing and the 'clicky thing' on "What to Watch Tonight", I think I'd prefer them to just show the US listings until foreign options are actually viable. I used to comment a lot more on the "What to Watch Tonight" until the 'clicky thing' stopped working. I'd rather participate and select my favourite shows even if they aren't actually airing where I am.

With regards to creating polls, I don't know if other people have this problem but I can't scroll down once the the pop-up box has gone past the bottom of the page. The only way I can see what I'm typing and to click the submit button (or it's equivalent) is to use the zoom function to shrink the whole page, which quite annoying.

With regards to Staff Writers saying they'll do something and then not following through (doesn't happen often, but it has in the past), can they possibly spend a whole two minutes of their time explaining why?

With regards to differing tiers of membership, I'm not really sure it's necessary so long as all contributions are attributable to those responsible, I don't see why different users should be allowed different rights or abilities. Personally I like writing posts and commenting on TV shows, but I wouldn't want to be an admin for an individual show or write episode reviews (usually) but I know a lot of people do enjoy this, everyone should be allowed the freedom to contribute in any way they wish.

With regards to Staff Writers being included in the Top Members lists for a shows Community, I don't mind so long as they are actually a fan of the show, if they are there because they are paid to be it's a bit unfair to the actual fans but if a staff member is actually a fan of the show, for instance Tim is a Community fan, then I think they should be afforded the same treatment as the rest of us fans.

I'm sure there is more I'd like to contribute but it's getting late here and my head is getting fuzzy! Again, thanks for this Rolamb and thanks to @patsully for going through the responses.
More+
Flag
I'm with you on 'forcing Facebook connections' If I wanted my FB friends to know how much time I spend thinking and talking about TV I would post my comments there!

TV.com does already have a thumbs down option for reviews (but no comments section) I don't know how I feel about this. I can't say I'm against disagreement on someones opinion of a show and perhaps it discourages silly negative comments. What are your feelings on that, as it seems the exact opposite of what you'd like to see?
Flag
Inappropriate comments can be flagged, I just don't think the site needs something that's so easily negative as clicking a 'thumbs down'. If someone disagrees with a comment they should articulate why or ignore it. I think it would also be too easy for people to show disrespect to commenter's whose first language isn't English or those who aren't as proficient at writing.
Flag
Okay, I don't disagree with you. But my question is: as TV.com already does have thumbs down functionality for the TV Shows & Fan Reviews section, which also doesn't allow an comments (unlike the Community section), how do you feel about that?

It does seem to be the exact opposite of what you'd like to see on the Community forum, but are you okay with that functionality because it's on the Fan Reviews section? Would you like that altered?

I'm just curious as to see if you feel there should be a distinction there?
Flag
OK, I see what you're asking now. I think they should remove the thumbs down option. If the thumbs down is supposed to achieve a specific objective it should be replaced with something more specific to that objective.

It's not a section of the site that I use so I don't know if adding a comments function would be a popular idea, but I don't see why TV.com couldn't post the question and see what responses they get.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Great to have a reply like yours Sir, so much appreciated! That is why I put this up, to get the discussion going on what we want. So few members express their opinion on subjects like this. You have out in more than just your two cents.

I very much like the fact that you included @patsully in your post as he will be reading your comment now. I do hope we will get more information on how the site will move forward and incorporate all the things we would like them to do.

On the issue of being able to be able to send a pm to multiple people it might have been both of us. Me and grumpy would love that. But I do understand why staff doesn't want it on the site now, just to prevent spam to all members. It might be one of the reasons to have more trusted members who are allowed to send a pm to more members.

I do agree that Tim is a Community fan and I love him for that (next to the fact that I find his writing abilities to be magnificent), but the site has to think what they want to show with the top list and what they want to achieve. If it's for us members to get motivated to write more, they should not include the staff people. Only @Grumpyclown might differ on that opinion as he is great in challenging them with the amount he posts.

It's even later here (one our in front of you UK people) and I have to put a post up where I mention you.
More +
Flag
I'm still here too, despite the time, trying to catch up with my 4 Episodes Tests, life has been getting in the way of my writing recently!

I know the staff writers are paid to be here and write on these communities but I still think they are fans just like us, they just happen to be lucky enough to get paid for some of their contributions. I think a better example than Tim would be Kaitlin or Price, they genuinely are fans of some of the shows they regularly review and that passion should be rewarded just like ours (other than the monetary rewards, obviously), especially Kaitlin who would be contributing regardless of her employment status.

You're absolutely right about the mass-PM spam problem, I never considered that. Maybe that could be an option that a member gains after three months of active membership or something.

I also think there should be a confirmation pop-up for Flagging a post. The number of times I accidentally flag somebodies comment just because the reply button has disappeared it's just getting embarrassing now. This is another one of my priorities!

One other thing I was considering is the lists we create. How easy is it for someone to view another persons lists? I was updating mine earlier in line with the 4 Episode Tests and I started to wonder why I was bothering considering, as far as I'm aware, not a single person has ever viewed them. I know it's something that IMDb tries to promote more of these days, maybe TV.com could follow suit, they wouldn't have to be quite as prominent as they are on IMDb but maybe easier to find. Maybe on an individuals "homepage" which we've been discussing there could be a side option to view the list's of people you are following, from that there could be a link to view popular lists, then we just need a little heart icon so popular lists can be prioritised. But maybe I'm the only who cares about this? Actually, I just had a quick look at your profile and realised it's quite easy to find them and they have a thumbs up/down option (which I'd swap for the heart icon, I don't like the thumbs down), so most of what I've said there is probably moot... never mind!
More +
Flag
Did you know that if you flag a post and it says "flagged", clicking on it again will now un-flag it?
Flag
No I didn't! I'll try it on the next bit of spam - so probably the next post I click on. I hope that works, it will mean I don't have to start my reply with an apology all the damn time. Thanks dhaworth.
Flag
Interesting issue about the lists. I do agree with you. I have never bothered to make any but have commented on a few others have. But even with a few comments I might be in a minority. If the personal community pages as I described them will get more powerful and the set-up of the site is so that members would want to know more about writers and other members, it might be of more value. It now seems more of a copy or something 'that we should have'. All the other suggestions on the lists I do support!

As you know I'm one hour ahead of you, you know I should be going to bed. And I should.....
Flag
I would like to see the tv listings separated from the follow option and integrated into some sort of 'watching' function. I found it off-putting that when choosing to follow a show my communities feed would get overwhelmed with all the posts. So, I only follow the show I edit as there's no community for it.
Flag
I just thought of an easy one. When someone voted up my comment, there is no way for me to find his/her profile page if he/she does not leave a comment. I cannot click on his profile page from the notification.
Flag
I'll tell you what I'm really not liking, the recent pop-up adverts... OMG, I use this site because I want to comment or read other's impressions of TV, not to watch some advert, don't we get that enough on television?! It's getting so bad that I might stop using TV.com all together!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
If you're using Firefox or Chrome you can download an add-on that blocks them, for Firefox it's 'Adblock Plus'. I think most browsers have an ad-blocker these days except probably IE.
Flag
I don't mean pop-ups I mean adverts on TV.com, half the page was eaten up by some BS the other day. And today I had some weird audio playing over my Pandora as I was trying to place a comment but I had to escape the page and come back later when a less aggressive advert was at the top - huff -
Flag
Yeah, the Ad Blockers stop all that crap, not just pop-up's. I don't see any ad's at all on any website. What browser do you use?
Flag
I use Safari & Chrome usually but I do get the same from Firefox. I'll have to check if I have Ad Blocker Plus.
Flag
The ability to subscribe to an article, so notifications are received whenever anyone posts a comment to it would be useful sometimes.
Flag
On the off-chance that this is taken up. It would also be good to have a notification if the original article is edited.
I'm particularly thinking about when there's a holding article which says something like "I'm still writing the review, have a chat about the episode" and then, later, the actual review replaces it.
Flag
Another good one. We see that more often lately (especially Tim does it) when they didn't get any screener but see that the discussion should be on. The only downside is that one might get a lot of messages as a lot of posts get edited afterwards. I do edit mine, often with small things like text errors or words/sentences I like to add. But, if they'd pick this suggestion up they will come up with a solution like a option to set if you want others to know you've changed the post.
Flag
That a good one I hadn't thought of.
Flag
An edit fuction.
Flag
Amazing work Rolamb!
My priorities:
1. Streamline/better personalization of the overall community feed.
2. Integrating the old forums and the new communities.
3. chrelle66's idea of keeping track of comments made in the communities, maybe reflected in the profile page.
4. time sensitive edit button to avoid misuse
5. I don't know how it is with everybody else but for me, I have to refresh the page to see if any new notifications have come in (unlike in facebook where notifications pop up on screen without having to refresh, which I prefer).
6. Maybe have an option to change the order replies are posted to oldest reply first? Sometimes a thread of replies is easier to follow if the first reply is seen first. For some long exchanges, I have to scroll to the bottom of the exchange and read upward for things to make sense.
7. De-clutter the homepage as suggested above.
Flag
Appreciate the prioritized list!

On the discussion below on Communities vs. Forums, we definitely want all future discussion to take place in the Communities where we've created them. We will definitely want to shut down forums once we've either created Communities for more shows or incorporated discussion tools into a future show page design that merges the Community activity.
Flag
A few people have mentioned getting rid of the forums and just use Communities. But, it's probably worth reflecting that the vast majority of the shows on this site do not have Communities. Each one seems to have to be created individually. (I'm just guessing here).
So, unless forums could be disabled by show, Communities would need to be created for every show. This may be a good thing to do, but I think it's important to recognise the work involved.
Flag
I surely recognise the work involved. It can be an evolutionary thing. Start closing (in: no new comments/posts) the forums that already have communities in place and continue that process after creating new communities. I do hope creating communities is easier by now then at the moment they started. The last will be about the long gone shows that do not or hardly have any traffic in the forums any more.
Flag
I absolutely think the way forward in the longer term is to abolish the forums and only use Communities, or similar. If they can be made read-only on a show-by-show basis, excellent, it should be done for shows with communities ASAP. I've no idea if this is possible, though.
I just wanted to stick up for all those shows (probably around 99%) that don't have Communities and risk having their discussion area disabled/removed because of the relative very few that also have Communities.
I think a lot of thought went in to at least the first load of communities regarding what they're called and the pictures they used, etc. This isn't really necessary if rolling out to all shows, at least to start with. Having the M*A*S*H Community, for example, called "M*A*S*H" and a generic picture would be fine I'm sure.
Flag
@ElisaDiaz I'm sure that's true, but are there really any reasons for them to use Communities instead?

Even though the forum software on this site is obsolete and should have been upgraded many times, it is still functionally far superior to Communities, for discussions.

For instance, they handle multiple conversation threads, whereas Communities stop offering the ability to reply after a few levels. So, (as demonstrated by this post), you have to either reply to yourself or to a previous post and the structure is lost. You must admit, that's a bit rubbish!
Also, every post in a forum can be edited!

The only real advantage for Communities as they currently stand is the notification feature. They also allow pictures and movies to be posted, but it's probably debatable how useful that is in many conversations.

It's entirely likely that the latest version of the forum software can handle media posting. I've no idea.

So, let me turn it around and ask you why you prefer to hold discussions in Communities, rather than forums?

I really see that Communities are designed for an initial article and then individual comments about that. Not for general discussions.
Communities is the way that the site wants to go, so I'm in favour of closing other commenting areas to allow concentration on this one. But, it could really do with some improving.
More +
Flag
There are some people that comment so very often in the forums and I NEVER see them in the communities, and I fear we have 2 tv.com sites instead of one - like an alternate reality or something :)
Flag
Thank you, and good suggestion that 6th one. I totally agree with you, I also always go to the bottom and read upwards. I (think I) understand why it standard starts with newest, but an option to change between oldest/newest would be very much appreciated.
Flag
Agree with option, but I rather read newest first myself, as it is now. It works well for me.
Flag
Wow, this is impressive Rolamb. Great work!
- I'd like to be able to edit my comment if I make a mistake.
- Also, videos being available for outside of U.S. residents

Flag
Great post! Here's list:

- a mobile app, also for people outside US. I don't expect to be able to watch videos, but I'd love to manage my profile, read articles, comment and see my notification from my phone

- Improvement of the notification center

- e-mail alerts for new notifications, new posts from fav writers or community posts

- some stats about comments, views and ratings
Flag
I read somewhere that there used to be a mobile app, but I couldn't find it anywhere (not even in the American Apple store). When going to the site on a smartphone now, the page is adapted to smart phones but it doesn't reflect the main page. F.i. there are no mail notifications, no mentioning of featured posts. But I guess it a time and dollar consuming issue if they want to make a new one.

I also would love to see more stats like the ones you mention.
Flag
Circling back for some quick thoughts here:

- TV.com did have iPhone and Android apps for a number of years, but they were purely for watching full episodes. That is now the focus of the long awaited CBS full episode iOS and Android apps, so the old TV.com apps were shut down. We'd like to build TV.com apps that better reflect the goals of the site in the future, but in the meantime we can point you to the TV Guide app, which is great for Listings, etc.
- On the mobile site, you *can* log in via the site footer and see your notifications, but we have some more work to do to fully incorporate Community feeds, posts, etc.

Hope that helps!
Flag
I appreciate the info and for the US members the app might be useful. For me the site is about great posts, reviews and meeting other members in the communities. For that I need another app. To be honest I was surprised that the mobile site was so different as if the program controlling it had not been updated for some time. Smart/mobile interfaces are the future (if not the present)

On the mobile site, you *can* log in via the site footer. That's where I have the option to go to the full site and that's what I always do.
Flag
1. Let users edit their comments.

2. Do something with the spammers. It's getting ridiculous.
Flag
Those spammers....... Pat explained here what they can do about it. We Non US members will see them more often as during US non working hours, only the automated system works. that's why I flag everyone I see and hope others will do to. They have become more vicious lately as I see posts popping up on housing development and even real reviews to cover the spam. It a bit like hacking probably, the solution is always a bit behind the people the hacks.
Flag
Thanks for posting my previous response @Rolamb. We're definitely as frustrated as you guys are. As mentioned below, there's no single solution as spammers change techniques regularly, but we'll continue to work on new solutions and appreciate your help with flagging, etc.
Flag
I think putting a rule that you can't post a comment within the first 48 hours from creating an account would help to limit the spam.
Flag
have no idea what the solution is neither - they exist because it is not easy to find one. But I do flag all of the ones I see.
Flag
That might do the trick for some time. Probably they'll just change the scripts and come back in 48 hours. I regretably do not have the definite solution either, otherwise I would be writing this from my ship in the carrabean :-)
Flag
Oh carrab, that should be Caribbean. A boat or ship in the Carrabean would be an imaginairy one......
Flag
Aha, I see. Thanks for the link. I'm flagging them from now on.
Flag
Yes, please get rid of those "my cousins neighbours step-daughter twice removed from my grandfathers side made $0.000 real money in just ONE week".
THEY ARE RIDICULOUS AND POP UP EVERYWHERE!
Flag
Increased searchability would't hurt either!
Flag
Completely agree, I also had that in my priority list.
Flag
EDITING POSTS - seriously people; for someone like me who's had two strokes and whose fingers resemble sticks with nails due to arthritis (and no, I'm not that old) editing posts is a must have item. Put a time stamp on it so it can be shown to be changed at such and such a time/date; that way it can be noted that if someone has changed their post to seem less deserving of a verbal slap, they can be called out on it. But it will just help those of us with brain issues (and I have many) to at least appear less dense than we do. I might be alone with strokes and stick fingers, but I can't be alone in lusting after an edit function, can I?

Overall though I do love the ideas above; Rolamb's sound nice too. A list of our older posts would be good as well as I haven't a hope of finding old ones I've made without wading through where I think they might be (I don't recall for sure). I'm fortunate too as I haven't made that many - can you imagine what it's like for people who are posting tons and every day? Unless they're keeping a notebook themselves (and who does that, really?) they're basically doomed.

I've checked this, twice - but I bet there's an errorr here that I missed......damn no edit function; damn my brain...
More+
Flag
Sorry to hear about your condition, but as far as I can see, your comment was flawless.

As you are the second to mention it, I've changed the text and added that we need a 2 minute edit button for comments as posts do have an edit button. But I can see that those terms get used interchangeably although they have a different meaning on the sit. See my comments just below this one.

You also might need the search option to see if anything has been discussed or commented on already on the site. I now use Google for that ......

Flag
Do they? God, I've never noticed the edit button at all. But see that's where I fall down now, I find I miss things; which is why I can read a post I've written 3 or 4 times and miss myerrors every time, post it and then notice what I did wrong - and most times not even then unless someone mentions them.

Still, considering I shouldn't functioning at all well now, I consider myself very fortunate. Thanks for saying it's flawless, it was a one off if it was. lol!
Flag
with "posts" Rolamb referst to reviews, pictures, etc that you post directly on the community. These you can edit any time. But most of us mainly comment in other people's posts,, and that we do faster and with more mistakes. I have no idea if I have a physical problem myself or not, but I can tell you, I make more and more mistakes. Sometimes I re-read my own comment and I have no idea what I meant LOL.
Flag
Well, have to say I'm glad I'm not alone doing that. I read an e-mail I sent my cousin in Ireland and haven't a clue what I was talking about - thankfully she did! :)
Flag
As for my own list of priorities:
  • personal statistics (like page views on posts);
  • an edit button for two minutes after publishing; the fact that it is only possible for a short time addresses the issues put forward by staff;
  • ability to search for user-generated content within the general and (to me visible) personal community pages/areas based on keywords and key phrases;
  • messaging with the full functionality of a messaging system like Google mail or outlook (also: multiple recipients and no character limits);
  • chat between two or more members of the community. The originator should be allowed to let other people in. It would also be great if I would be able to archive the conversation;
  • a help system (could be set up and maintained by user editors);
  • I would like to be able to scroll through all my notifications (not only the last 20) ;
  • do not only use Twitter and Facebook to alert on new staff posts, but also use it to alert on other stuff like quality featured posts and even invite members to write posts.
Flag
I really like the chat room and archiving of the conversations; It's really funny when I'm commenting on the show or a members' post and get a real-time reply; actual conversations feed off each others' input. And often Hilarity Ensues.
Flag
I still don't get why one can't edit posts.
I gather it has been discussed a some length, but I must have missed it. Could someone point me to the discussion, or just give me the short version?
Flag
Forgot to mention, I put in a that 2 minute restriction to comply with the issue that commenter could change the comment later. In the first 2 minutes that won't be the case and those 2 minutes (I would settle for 1 minute) gives you the chance to change the stupidest mistakes (I always see (most of my) grammatical errors after I've pushed the 'submit' button :-).

Pat's reply can be found here.
Flag
I think you mean comments, as posts can be edited by the posting member. Jen gave us an explanation here, just look for the comments by TVcom_editorial (and this is the reason I need that search option, it took me too long to find it)
Flag
Google has very good site-specific search applications - originally called Gophers because they were developed at University of Minnesota
Flag
That's quite a post. I agree with all of it, even though I must admit I skimmed through part of it.
I have just one thing to add:
None of the comments I write on review or community pages are logged/registered on my profile page.
According to my profile, I've only made one post.
The only way for me to find old comments that I've made is to search through the episode pages manually, one by one.
I don't feel that my profile page reflects my participation in the many discussions on the site.
Flag
That is a good addition I should have thought about.
Flag
I think you covered the more important points, but to me it is the priority to keep the top notch commentators like yourself, Grumpyclown and some others from either losing interest or going somewhere else. Some work done for the site by these people is sometimes tremendous and time consuming and should not be taken for granted. Efforts as Grumpy's work on the ratzie awards. I know that they would prefer, if asked, a kind of freelance tv .com staff with some kind of financial retribution voted by project; but this may not be possible. But something special should be given by the TV.com people, perhaps special merchandising, signed by the stars that could easily be negociated with the series producers.
If there were monthly contest for some Banshee , Teen Wolf or Orphan Black stuff I would die for it.
Flag
We've (and others) talked a lot about the ideas above and thank you for putting this all together. A more recent one that I forgot to include during our PM correspondences was a spoiler alert feature where the text can be blacked out unless you choose to hover over it.

I'm still not a huge fan of different levels of membership or points and I am not even a fan of the ranks but that's just me

I'll go through our old PMs to see if there was anything else but I think you addressed most of my/our concerns….and about priorities.
Flag
You have fantastic ideas!! I've been a TV.com stalker for about a year now and just last month I decided to finally join. I just had to start commenting! Obviously there is a ton more to this site that I need to explore and look towards the future!
Flag
Ooh some excellent suggestions here (my thanks to Grumpyclown for bringing this to my attention) for example I never did quite figure out how the badge system worked and how to get promoted (maybe they could switch to meow meow beans? :-) ). I also love the idea of the chat between members and being able to navigate the notifications better. Sometimes when I have a notification it is hard to see what exactly it is for.
Flag
excellent work Rolamb -
I like the idea of the The Community Feed, a personal (community) page.
Hell, I like most of the suggestions. I like TV.com because of the fun dialogues and diatribes that I do not find elsewhere - the site is owned by CBS, along with TVGuide.com - so why not just do all of it. Moonves has the money to make the programming changes in his petty cash drawer (2nd drawer left side). You own what is probably the best domain name on the biz - CAPITALIZE ON IT (!). Rolamb gave you the blueprint to make it King of the viewer world.
I go to CBS.com to get the videos I missed, to TVGuide to get the breaking news and listings, and here to play with the other TV children.
Hey CBS - get er done. thangyouvurrymush

Flag
Thanks, I appreciate the backing!
Flag
This is great!
What's next? World revolution? Tell me when it's over so I can continue to complain. J/K
Seriously everything I could think of is mentioned and some more. Are some points even possible? Like, the pic cutting tool sounds awesome same with the removal of spamming accounts?
All the possibilities of customizing the profile and searches and lists and communities sounds good, if it can be done so that a monkey(me) can still navigate the site it's highly welcome.
I'm not so sure about the idea of different kinds of membership. I like the idea that we are all equal, or, at least have the impression of being equal. lol
Flag
Although I suggest differentiating, all members, from non-member to trusted can see and read everything. Differentiating in membership indeed only gives more possibilities to perform certain actions on the site. If you want to comment, vote etc, you need to be a member. That way you are responsible for your acts. As this site partly depends on the contributions from members, I could imagine there are members who by contributing, posting, etc. have become so trusted for staff that they could do extra actions like voting for promotion etc. For the shows there already is a system like that in place: the editors.
Flag
I am thinking I am actually fine with people voting without being members, might actually make them more eager to start commenting and opening an account for that. Don't you think?
Flag
This was our logic, but it sounds like receiving anonymous notifications from "A TV.com user" liking your comment are a pet peeve for a lot of you?
Flag
Getting notifications from "A TV.com user" is fine with me. But for those who are bothered by it, maybe an option/setting in the notifications can be put in place to screen for these.
Flag
It doesn't bother me
Flag
I think the problem is mainly in polls and such, where it leads to multiple voting, making the results meaningless. As discussed, at quite some length, earlier this year.
Flag
I don't mind them
Flag
mmm about the kinds of membership I think we might have both misunderstood in the same way - I read somehow as if some people would not be able to see everything. After Patsully's answer to my comment below, it seems Rolamb is more interested in giving extra powers to older and very active users. With this I'm fine, but not so much with having private parts that are not visible to some visitors. Mainly I fear that the best action will be hidden :)
Flag
With extra powers comes extra responsibility...
If we end up that our private parts are only shown to paying platinum members I'm totally against it. haha
Seriously though: I do understand that very active members want to be more than mere members who visit occasionally and write a comment here and then(me). As long as we get content for nothing and the chicks for free I'm in...
Flag
"If we end up that our private parts are only shown to paying platinum members" - ewww, you made it sound like a totally different site.
Flag
@Rolamb have you got some examples of 'new/other/functions' that were actioned on the site as a result of user suggestions?
Flag
I can help! :) Communities, notifications, threaded comments, user lists, polls, episode MVP voting, and much more all came directly from user feedback on the site.
Flag
those MVP polls are always in those "let's discuss episode x" which are hardly used and clog up the feed. I know you all aren't going to remove them but it would be interesting to do a poll (one vote) to see how members feel
Flag
We are actually planning to remove them from the overall Community feed, and I'm hoping to get that done soon. They provide a lot of value on the episode page, but less so in the feed.
Flag
Is it possible to expand them to cope with all cast for an episode, even if that means a scroll bar?
Could you please confirm how they currently select who to include?
Flag
excellent~thank you!
Flag
Rolamb

Thanks for informing me about this. I have to be honest I have not read through all of it yet.

One thing I have always wonder is if there is still a need for a forum inside the show pages itself. For shows like The Amazing Race and Survivor, the forum are very active but there is nothing on the communities pages.

What I really hope the staff here can find a way to combine both. Before the communities pages were setup, members usually discuss what they think of the show in the forum. Now it seems the communities and the forum are two separate world even though it both belong to TV.com.

Once in a while the staff review an episode of survivor and there are very few comments on the article but in the forum, there were lots of discussion. It would be good if there is a way to combine both.

Some viewers also writes review about the show. For the show Justified, there were 50 reviews as of now,

http://www.tv.com/shows/justified/

Again this is not reflected on the communities pages.

The show pages and the communities pages just seems like two different worlds.

That is all I have for now.
More+
Flag
I completely agree with you. It says in the post: To make it simple, I would like to see all reviews, polls, episode guides etc. in the current Show and Topic Community format. In doing so, the forums should be closed (except for viewing old forum posts) completely.
Flag
Yes! this is the same point I made. Now at least I know why this is still unchanged (to preserve history). I guess that is a tougher one to solve that I thought.
Flag
Great feedback. We've kept the legacy forums on the site to save the archived conversations, though some new posts are still being created. We're trying to move everyone towards the Community over time.

Agreed on the ratings & reviews side - we haven't yet integrated those features into the Community feed, but we hope to in the future.
Flag
Priorities in my opinion:
A page views/ feature
A comments feed on a users profile page
2 minute edit button on comments
New as the default option, instead of trending in communities
Multiple recipients option for PM's
Totally removing the "removed comment"
If tv.com are unable to post a region free video, leave a comment at the bottom of the article explaining that they will post the region free version when available.
Promoted posts automatically being shared on tv.com's twitter feed (meaningless to me as I am not on twitter :-), but it may bring more people to the site )
Flag
Yes to all of the above!
Flag
Quick question for you - do you use the overall Community feed? http://www.tv.com/community/

We've kept that one as Newest first, and it rolls up all the activity across the Shows & Topics you follow. Trending made more sense to us at a show level to reward the best performing posts with top placement as on reddit and other sites.
Flag
I used to go to the overall community feed. After a while I got tired of scrolling through a lot of Discuss X, Episode X and MVP posts. Now I stick mostly with the homepage and the reviews/articles there.

I realize I could be missing out on a lot of great posts, like this one, which aren't promoted to the homepage. I only got here thanks to Rolamb's pm. Any steps to personalize/streamline the overall community feed would be greatly appreciated.
Flag
I admit I rarely check that one. I am not sure why that is, though. I start in the main page and jump to the latests news or reviews from there, and then I stay in the corresponding community for more news. Other than that, sometimes I come to the website searching for the latest review on a specific show, so I use the search function, click on the show and go to the community. I think it is great to have a place to check all your communities news at once, and then I don't use it!
Flag
Okay, good to know. If you're following enough shows & topics, I think it's really helpful, though we do need to remove the individual episode airing posts, which can be overwhelming once you follow enough shows on the air.

Give it a shot more often and let us know what you think!
Flag
I do use the feed, but when you go to a specific shows community it reverts to trending.
The trending option could still be included in a sidebar
Flag
Yep, that's by design. You have to remember that the large majority of our users do not visit a Show Community every day. With that in mind, we want them to see the very best user posts, staff reviews, etc.

True Detective is a great example right now: http://www.tv.com/shows/true-detective/community/

Your video roundup has the top spot, follow by Tim's end of season reviews. The Newest tab displays some less important posts, mostly links I've posted, but I think this is the best setup knowing that everything is displayed chronologically in the overall Community feed.
Flag
@Grumpyclown Logged out users see all new posts from all Communities, which is actually pretty cool, so I hope more folks will check it out. It's really handy.

We generally strive to avoid really granular profile settings wherever we can, as it becomes quite a lot to manage (think Facebook privacy settings).
Flag
The problem is not everyone uses their communities feed, (and do guests have one?), so newer posts don't get attention.
A solution to this would be for a user to have the option of setting the default in their settings on their profile page
Flag
I do not have a twitter or Facebook account (yes, I'm one of those.....), but inn the present society I believe they are basic conditions these days. Something like: 'If you have it, it's not an advantage in relation to your competitors, but if you haven't it defenitively is a disadvantage).
Flag
OK! From this shortlist, I would like to vote on some:

-page views is a good one! I would say IP based.
-edit button! 2 min, you mean that it is only valid right after you posted, right?
-New as default in communities would also be my preference

Flag
I'm happy just with numbers, IP based might even be problematic. But I like to know if I get readers and what kind of posts they do like. I could understand that revealing pageviews might be problematic as the competition might see them also. It should be something that is only visible to the specific member on his personal page.
Flag
Edit button - yep 2 minutes right after posting should be more than enough time to spot a spelling mistake
Flag
One thing I would like is a way to only get notifications of comments on posts rather then likes and comments. Also a way to delete notifications.
Flag
This is good feedback! Limiting notification types is something we can add to the list - we currently allow you to remove New Episode alerts (profile page --& settings) from your Notifications count to help to minimize the number of times you need to clear it out.

We'll also keep deleting notifications in mind - right now you can clear them, so I'd be curious why you would want them deleted altogether?
Flag
Delete ones that I have seen
Flag
Even though they could help you find those comment replies in the future? I tend to re-visit my notifications regularly.
Flag
agree with the above getting rid of the marketing scams as i think everyone is the opinion that these clog up the comments pages.
Flag
Very true.
However, my best friends grandmother in-laws adopted niece knows a guy who knows a guy who has a girlfriend whose cousin has a cat who is friendly with her neighbor who has an amazing business opportunity.
All you have to do is click on THIS LINK, watch the entire video and someone will contact you at some point in the future....maybe....
Flag
Willing to bet this will show up in our moderation tools... :)
Flag
Did it?
Flag
their is always is the guy whos knows a guy businesses lol
Flag
But did you watch the entire video?
Flag
i would just play that to hippie leader he be begging for mercy after a minutel lol
Flag
Awesome post! You've touched on a ton of topics including improvements that we would definitely like to make. I'd ask as well for anyone commenting to highlight their most wanted feature, as there are very few suggestions here that we can't (eventually) make happen.
Flag
Thank you very much. It was quite something to work on and I'm happy it's finished, but I'm also happy with the result. Hope the discussion will bring us even further.

I'll come back with my list of priorities later (midnight over her now).
Flag
Maybe you could post what changes are already in the pipeline Pat, so that we can get a feeling of the corporate strategy and vision for this site. It may help to focus the responses in the desired direction. For instance, there's no point in someone detailing a whole load of improvements to the contribution moderation screen if there's no likelihood of any development resource being invested in that area.
Flag
@Rolamb is headed in the right direction with his thoughts in that we're focusing on Community features first and foremost. If it will drive discussion, we're very interested in making improvements.

You're correct that our contribution systems are a lower priority as we move towards episodes being created automatically.
Flag
You say that staff have asked for some time what other/new functionalities we would like, can you refer me to which posts these might be?
Flag
Until we launched our Topic Communities in November, we've solicited suggestions from users via news posts, PMs, legacy forums, etc. Hopefully this post and others like it in the Feedback Community will organize it going forward.
Flag
Well, this is comprehensive!

I think the main priority for me would be to "finalize" the communities feature... still not fully integrated in the website. I haven't been very active lately, so not sure if progress has been made. But for me, it should be more clear how to access a community when you bump into a show's page from the site. It's like there are two different pages for every show, with separated lives. And I believe that means that many casual visitors never really arrive to the communities. And there's a lot more information about a show in there!

I am not interested myself, but I think if I really wanted to participate more, I could contact the site and get some editing rights and stuff? I believe there is some system already in place to grant privilege to certain members, but I have not been interested enough to find out. I can see some danger in making this an automated process, but maybe it is not that difficult to implement if there is interest enough. In terms of seeing more or less content depending on experience, I personally don't see the need. What's the goal, to prevent spammers from seeing our posts? That could disuade any other new visitors too.

Is there a tool that can tell you if a particular video is open to every country? Otherwise, we cannot ask for this.

I'm sure more stuff will come to mind later :) What's the plan, are you going to mark somehow the points that people request more?
More+
Flag
In terms of seeing more or less content depending on experience, I personally don't see the need. Neither do I. In the system I suggested everyone (also non-members) can see and read everything. Just adding possibilities for the users on the levels above. The members are the same as the present members, the trusted members have some extra possibilities.

The system already in place is for the editors of the show pages. I agree that it never should be an automated process as staff needs to trust these members. So a personal touch would in my opinions always be part of it.
Flag
Appreciate the feedback. You're correct that we have to work to better unify the Show Page + Community Page. It's definitely a goal to bring them together into one design.

We haven't expanded Community editing rights as far as @Rolamb mentions in his post - it looks like the primary feature he's interested in are the ability for power users to promote posts. We'll consider that as Community use grows., but we do very much want to avoid dissuading new users from posting as a result of adding too many restrictions.

The international video request is a tough one for us. As a US-based site relying on US-based TV networks for promotional materials, we almost always use official videos, which the networks have control over to restrict viewing regions as they see fit. That said, we welcome comments or Community posts with International friendly embeds.
Flag
I do believe in a system where power users are rewarded in some way, but there are many solutions for that and one might be as I suggested in the post. But it is not my primary objective. In the system I suggested the members have the same possibilities as the members have now. For posting and commenting you now also need to be a member. The only difference is that non-members do not have the possibility to vote, so there will be no more "a tv.com user' notifications. If they want to contribute in any way, they have to register. I understand that this can be seen as a restriction, or barrier, but I believe that they will register.
Flag
Funny, before I registered and started commenting, I was coming as a casual visitor for a long time, and never crossed my mind that I could actually vote without being a member LOL.
Flag
"I would love a picture cutting tool where I can copy (drag&drop;) my picture into and I will be able to adjust it to and save it in the pixelation needed for the posts (small and big);"

In the meantime, might I recommend IRFanview? It's free, easy to use, free, very intuitive, free, takes up very little memory on your computer, and free

I don't know if you can drag n existing photo into it (never tried), but you can always Print-Screen and paste it into the program, and then do what you want with it. Or open your photo file from IRFanview and do whatever.
Flag
To be honest, I use Paint at home and it works fine. But I would still like a tool on the site as that will give me certainty that the dimensions that come out of that tool will always be right. The official dimensions are not always a 100% possible. It also will work for those who do not have a tool at home or do not know how to use it. It is just for lowering the bar.
Flag
This is a more complicated one, but it's always been on the wishlist knowing that we'll get better images as a result. We'll make sure to keep it in mind.
Flag
Staff
This. This is amazing.
Flag
Thank you Sir, you make me blush.......
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members