... are we more abandoned than usual?

I have rarely seen any (imported TVGuide) articles on the front page in the last few days. Along with the current problems of images and videos often not working. I don't go to the front page too often since the autoplay-off feature doesn't work (another bug!). So I have to remember to select "Mute Tab" unless I want to get the sound of a (currently) "Gary Goes on the Hunt for Barbara Morgan" video blasting out of my loudspeakers. So I might have missed it.

After hitting Ctrl-R three times, I did finally get some articles. Do people stumbling across the site bother to hit Ctrl-R even once to see if they have any original content?

Not to mention the photo-adding function doesn't work. Either adding photos when you create an article, or afterward in edit mode.

Which means that the "Photo" feature of Community Threads is now meaningless, since you can't add photos. Yes, I checked.

The "What to Watch Online" thing does update. I can now get directed to a 4/28/2014 CBS Evening News episode. Why I'd want to watch a news episode from 2014, I have no idea and no interest in finding out.

"My TV Listings" has new episodes, but the titles just link to the general show page. Even repeats to more recent episode just link to the general show page (i.e., tonight's repeat of Gotham). So while new episodes (sometimes) import, there's no way to get to them from the front page.

And after the recent purge, the most recent Featured Community Posts articles date to 5/13/16. I'm sure @RickGH2015 is a great writer, but two-year-old articles are still a bit past the expiration date.

I'd say it's dark days for TVCom, but then again, all of them are dark these days. At least publication of submitted material has been working consistently for the last couple of weeks.

So far.
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 10, 2019
And now the "standard" featured community threads (i.e., back when someone last promoted them: 5/18) are back. And the 404 stuff for the linked articles has gone away and the articles are back. I mentioned @lmwang1977 in a post with an @: maybe he or she actually decided to check things out.

Which is oddly reassuring, in a tvcom sort of way. At least the stuff is still in the system. And even when it "disappears", it's still there. It also means that CBSI hasn't bothered to start destroying stuff. It's just that the system is flaky, and stuff disappears and reappears and will probably disappear again.
Flag
Feb 10, 2019
Although not all the images are appearing on all of the articles. Including my profile image disappearing off of one! Because it wouldn't be modern-day tvcom without being at least a bit of a flustercluck.

Time to start importing some of my articles to a more reliable site.
Flag
Feb 09, 2019
It seems that every main post is displayed twice.

For years, I have been marking episodes as in my watch history but it seems that they have discarded all of my checkmarks.

I've always assumed that you, Gislef, had an inside connection to this website but it seems that you are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

The only reason I come here (aside from it being a habit) to to see if there is a recap for an episode I'm about to watch. I like following along as I watch and this site has had a tradition of very straightforward recaps. But very few of the shows that I watch are still recapped here.

When that ends (which seems inevitable), I'll be gone.

Flag
Feb 10, 2019
The front-page articles often display twice. How many times can you read about a main cast member leaving The Walking Dead? That's when the imported TVGuide front-page articles appear at all.

I've never had an inside connection to the website. The closest was... 10+ years ago when tvcom had a volunteer moderation team. Before they said that they didn't need us anymore (because we wouldn't discuss problem users on a forum that a system bug made public), and that staff could handle the work load. Bwah-hah-hah.

I still continue to write recaps for everything that I watch... when tvcom posts the episodes. So shows like Titans and Young Justice Season 3, not so much. I just got done watching, contributing, and recapping A Series of Unfortunate Events season 3, for instance. There's a few shows that I'm backlogged on, because there doesn't seem to be any rush to add material to them. If there's a current show I edit that doesn't have recaps that you follow, PM me and let me know.

TVCom seems to be okay with the autosystem (eventually) adding episodes to at least some shows that are already in the database. Mostly if they're on a mainstream US network. But some shows don't. And old shows are sometimes in a horrible mess because the auto-system adds duplicates and 2018 airings of shows that were cancelled 50+ years ago.

There's also some editors that are MIA, but since there's no staff to either report MIAs or process their queues, oh well. Or staff to process any submissions for shows that don't yet have an editor: last summer's Cloak & Dagger, for instance, sits empty. Maybe some day @lmwang1977 or someone will just do a mass approval. CBSI could make it a once-a-year celebration sort of thing! Hope springs eternal. ;)

There's also the folks that still contribute to shows I edit. Including one of the dopier ones, who famously asked me in a PM, "Who are you going to trust, me or the end credits?" Umm... the end credits. But he keeps ignoring the end credits and submitting his own weird interpretation anyway.
More +
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
They don't care. They have no staff for better part of a year, no moderation of subs in a long time, no new show guides unless told and episodes for existing guides are being added or not added on a whim. Survivor is now four seasons behind counting the upcoming season and I know there are other guides in similar disarray. Sad to see the contempt management has for the site.
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
Saying management has contempt suggests that there is some. :)
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
And then I'm logged off at 10 am.

And the Trending Stories links on the right-hand side generated 404/non-existent errors, whether there are photos or not. Presumably because of the post-2016 purge.

Ah, TVCom, what would we do without you? What can we do with you?
Flag
Feb 07, 2019
Also, coming back onto the site at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, I'm logged off. Something which seems to happen to me about once a week, for anywhere from one click to five minutes. And that's just for me. Sometimes it happens at 11:30 at night, sometimes at 9 in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon or evening. In other words, pretty much random.

Obviously I can log back in, or I wouldn't be talking here under my ID. :) But again, one can't help but think that some would-be get an account, come to the site, can't log in, and just go to a site that is reliable with its front page, its log-in, and its TV listings.
Flag
Feb 07, 2019
Also, I don't know why this article appears twice. I only clicked once. I'd delete one of them, but am afraid it would delete the other as well.

I also find it endlessly funny that Heroes Reborn is constantly listed as a "Trending Show" on the front page. Given it ran for one season and was canceled over three years ago. Is there some vast overseas market currently trending the show that I missed?
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members