And oh, look. The system isn't publishing stuff again. Or at least, the stuff I posted Saturday night isn't appearing Sunday night, 24 hours later.

If only the community had a manager that we could contact. Or even a tech person. Or... anyone.

If only "the most complete TV site anywhere" actually had complete info. Or displayed the complete info that we added.

Speaking of which, if TVCom is *snicker* the most complete TV site anywhere, what does that make TVGuide? The second most complete?
31 Comments
Comments (31)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jun 26, 2018
Well, the one current show I edit is stuck. It's still showing the next episode to air is June 18. It's now June 26. I also wrote a recap for an episode of the same current show days ago and it still hasn't been passed on to the public side. These are not good signs, are they! I know we've said the end is near before, but maybe it's nearER. This happening to anyone else?
Flag
Jun 26, 2018
Also, stuff submitted Monday night hasn't "published" as of this writing.

Again.

Because that bug never gets old.
Flag
Jun 26, 2018
Yep. Nothing's changed.
Flag
May 30, 2018
Anyone else noticing that the site isn't publishing yet again?

At least, things I posted on 5/28 still haven't appeared on the site as of 5/30.
Flag
Apr 11, 2018
The problem is that folks put up with web advertising if the site is worth visiting and putting up with the adverts. Development seems to have either never known it, forgotten it, or been told to ignore it.

It's like the people who (sorta) run TVCom don't understand how the Internet works. Given Jessica's one-time stated bafflement at how to thank Internet contributors, that's not entirely surprising. As I sorta said elsewhere, I hope she does better face-to-face with her yoga customers, then she did with her customers, or volunteer employees, or whatever the heck we're considered.
Flag
Apr 06, 2018
This feed was put up a month ago - take the title and add "Ditto". I added cast/crew/notes/quotes/summaries, etc. to my guides on Tuesday and here on Friday they still haven't been published! Even the episode notations in yellow "Next episode airs..." is stuck on the last episode that aired. Other submissions for staff have been lingering in their queue since Mar 14. Even submissions to guides with editors (who may or may not be on here anymore) are still out their from Jan 30 - so much for the 7 day rule. So much for tv.com being "the most complete TV site anywhere". So much for having anyone at tv.com to actually respond to any of this.

What are they waiting for????????????

Flag
Apr 10, 2018
The second coming of Christ it appears.. When I try to change anything on shows that I am editor of I get "update successful" but the changes don't appear.
Flag
Apr 08, 2018
I also wonder if the delay in new episode appearances was because of the publication issues. In other words, they were in the system but didn't "publish" .

Not that that's an excuse. Because we've been pointing out the publication issues for, what, a year? So either Development is incompetent, aren't allowed to do the work that needs to be done (which I suspect would mean taking down the site for at least a few days), and allocating manpower to redo the whole thing). Or just not paid to work on the site.

I suggest the site taking down because it's basically the same code that was used to create the site 10+ years ago. They've made so many revisions and edits and patch-changes that it probably needs a rebuild from the ground up. And therein lies the rub. They take the site down to do it and pay coders, they lose revenue. So they don't do it... but the site runs into the ground and they lose revenue.

I occasionally wonder if that kind of customer service is a West Coast/U.S. thing. If they go to get their car or their AC fixed, and the customer service representative shrugs and says, "Eh, we'll fix it when we fix it. Could be a week, could be a year." Of course, now CBSInteractive has eliminated that by eliminating the customer service representative. They don't have to listen to unhappy "customers", so as far as they're concerned, the problem of unhappy customers is fixed. To paraphrase a recent episode of iZombie, "Don't you understand what 'la la la' means?"
More +
Flag
Apr 08, 2018
That was the topic of several conversations I had via PM with Jessica. Inevitably she'd go into "robot answering machine" mode and say something to the effect of "I can't talk about that" or "I've said all that I can say" and essentially hang up.

It was hard to treat her like a human being, when she seemed determined not to act like one.
Flag
Apr 08, 2018
I only hope none of the habits she used her carry over to her new career as a yoga instructor. One can imagine the conversations:

"Excuse me but I don't understand Downward-Facing Dog. Could you explain it?'

"Sorry, you'd have to talk to my supervisor."

"But she ignores me."

"I'm sorry, that's all that I can say."

"But you didn't say anything."

"I'm sorry, that's all that I can say."

But that's part of the problem. Us contributors apparently aren't customers or (volunteer) employees. We're... nothing, and are treated accordingly. It was starting that way before Jessica, nothing has changed (and has in fact gotten worst) after she left. That was the policy, and she was paid to carry it out. CBSInteractive has just figured out that it's cheaper to pay nothing for someone to say nothing, then to pay someone something to say nothing.
Flag
Apr 09, 2018
Thank you for making me chuckle - which is sad because everything you said is so true.
Flag
Apr 07, 2018
It also looks like the publication stuff kicked in. If stuff you posted earlier didn't print, contact TVCom and... ha! I kid. My guess is someone kicked the server machine in the corner as they were leaving their TVGuide office (because TVcom doesn't exist according to CBSInteractive's receptionist, and associate business manager) and headed out for the weekend.

Of course, with publication and importing of new episodes come new errors. So Black Lightning, for instance, is once again screwed. Because, hey, there's an episode on Sunday, April 8, even though the show only airs on Tuesdays. At least according to "The most complete TV site anywhere". And who are you going to believe, TVcom or your lying eyes?

I'm not sure what TVCom's fascination is with listing BL on Sundays, since they did it for Episode 8, too.
Flag
Apr 06, 2018
I suspect that they're just letting the site quietly die. Note that there's a whole bunch of new episodes premiering next week that aren't premiering according to tvcom. iZombie, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Lucifer, Black Lightning, The Flash, Arrow, Supernatural...
Flag
Apr 07, 2018
Although, oddly, MacGyver is up to date. As much as TVCom is ever up-to-date. And it looks like at least some of the shows I mentioned above updated in the last 7 hours.

Why anyone would bother coming to the site, say, two days before an episode of DC's Legends airs, I have no idea.

Anyhoo, I guess, I don't have to leave, at lest until they eventually really screw up. Or it screws itself up. My DVR and laptop simply won't hold enough episodes if the site "goes into the hole" for a week.
Flag
Apr 07, 2018
And even if TVcom gets the episodes up before they premiere... who cares? Who wants to go to "the most complete TV site anywhere" when they can't list new episodes until three days before they air? A few amateur programmers at a half-dozen sites can get episodes up 2-3 weeks before they premiere. But developers at "the most complete TV site anywhere"? No chance
Flag
Apr 07, 2018
CBS "owns" the site but didn't bother adding eps for Amazing Race (finished entire season) or Survivor (ongoing). However, they can add them to TV Guide's wretched site. No staff are here...none...maybe a once/month visit by TV guide staff who checks que and approves the "priority" ones only. They don't care about the data and haven't for some time..it's all about the gd click counts for articles and ads.
Flag
Apr 07, 2018
I don't think there's a priority to the queue moderation. Judging from the time stamps, they just go through and mass-approve everything.

The problem (beyond the fact that staff-moderated subs take weeks to be moderated) is the adding of new episodes, which as you and I both noted ain't happening. And the correction of outstanding issues. Like missing and mistitled episodes.

Why anyone would want to come to TVCom when it's in such a state, I have no idea. I can understand that TVcom is an engine that brings people here and then they presumably see/click on the advertising. But if there's no engine, or the engine is faulty, how does the site generate revenue?

As I've said before and will say again, I don't understand the revenue model for TVCom. They've long since given up on encouraging/recruiting contributors. The current site guides aren't accurate, the past ones often aren't accurate, the schedules are occasionally screwed up (and they can't do anything to fix them when they are, or so Jessica said several times), and the articles are reposts of TVguide material.
Flag
Mar 18, 2018
And so the system updated publication sometime in the last 10 hours or so. So... it only updates once a week? That's what the last two weeks' "pattern" would suggest.

Now, if the system would just "publish" new episodes of new shows like Krypton and Deception, it might actually be on the path to being "the most complete TV site anywhere. Or maybe TV Guide doesn't think that these shows have episodes.
Flag
Mar 21, 2018
I put in several quotes, notes, crew, cast and allusions on 2 of my guides tonight and within 2 hrs they were published. There is no rhyme nor reason to how timely or untimely things get published here these days.
Flag
Mar 21, 2018
I think two hours is about average, except when the system fails entirely.

I have neither the time nor patience to enter something and then revisit the page every few minutes to time it.
Flag
Mar 15, 2018
Submitted some episode updates to a show I am editor of midday yesterday. Nothing after six hours. And nothing today after 24 hours!
Flag
Mar 15, 2018
I have crew & cast entries made Monday night and they still haven't gone public. They're there but just not for public viewing ;)
Flag
Mar 15, 2018
But you can see them when you click on the Edit Episode link? So far, that's always shown the "correct" summaries, recaps, and lifetime #s.

You can also almost always finesse it so you see the quotes, trivia, notes and allusions on the page, by tinkering with the reordering command. Even if they haven't published.
Flag
Mar 15, 2018
Oh yeah. I can see all the edits, updates, and additions if I click those links. Just nothing has gone to the public side in over 24 hours and that smacks of the old days after CBS took over and they just didn't care to stir the pot to get things to show up. It frustrating because it just tells us they freaking just don't give a flip! You know what I mean!
Flag
Mar 16, 2018
Oh, I know what you mean.

The whole publication failure has been happening about every two weeks for the last 3-6 months. It's just "one of those things" that TVCom has never bothered to pay anyone to fix. And let's face it: it doesn't affect their revenue stream, so why would they bother? Like I said elsewhere, the majority of visitors come to the site to get viewing times and talk about their shows. Publication failure doesn't affect either of those.
Flag
Mar 13, 2018
Crew stuff I entered yesterday still hasn't published on my guides as of this minute - no weekend excuse for these.
Flag
Mar 13, 2018
Me either. Looks like stuff I added last night still hasn't gone "live".
Flag
Mar 13, 2018
You know the old saying

.....posting on this site are not!
Flag
Mar 12, 2018
And... yay. Stuff published sometime today. so only 24-36 hours off the grid, as it were.

I wonder if Development just comes in on Monday and kicks the server on their way to... wherever they're going. A same-old/same-old sorta thing. "It's Monday morning, publication must be down."
Flag
Mar 13, 2018
Maybe the current development doesn't know they work at TVCom, and it's just "the old server in the corner with the reset button we have to hit every Monday." After all, if the associate business manager of CBS Interactive hasn't heard of TVCom, which is a part of CBS Interactive, who knows what ignorance the rest of the staff lives in?

https://www.cbsinteractive.com/contact

Flag
Mar 12, 2018
That's publication of stuff that editors contributed to their own shows. Other stuff? Who knows? Deception, for instance...

http://www.tv.com/shows/deception-2018/episodes/

The series premiered last night, according to my lying eyes. But according to the most complete TV site anywhere, it didn't.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members