So as of this writing, clicking on the summary/recap link takes me to the crap-looking home page. Not that there's anything wrong with the home page error-wise: that's just how it looks.

Trying to add cast and crew, gives me an "UPDATE FAILED! This Error Has Been Logged" message. (Logged for who?)

Going to my moderation queue page generates a bunch of unreadable junk on the typical TVcom background.

Submitting Quotes and such still work, though!

Anyone else. At least one user already asked me to try and edit something for them. Same thing happened.
26 Comments
Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 17, 2018
The best insect control company especially the white ants
Some of the most common insects in the summer, and are found in places of cultivation and water,مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل and places of animal breeding, and are annoying because of their strong sting, which causes us continuous itching, which leads to abrasion skin and blood flow, and the best natural means to get rid of them مكافحة حشرات بالخرج, Is the use of boiling mint or squeezed for an hour or more, and then filtered and put it in a machine, and sprinkle the house, it is good as a fragrance of the atmosphere the smell of mint, and at the same time good to expel the law, as the law hates the smell of mint, so we have hit two birds with one stone .
Flag
Apr 13, 2018
And publication is back down again. Or at least the stuff I submitted yesterday afternoon is displaying, but the stuff from yesterday evening isn't, 12 hours later.

And that's what I mean about TVcom not being able to pay its bills. It says when you submit that a sub will go "live" within 6 hours of being submitted. Setting aside slow-responding editors, and non-responding editors and staff... why not just pay someone to change the wording? Change it to not assure a publication time. Or change it to more accurately reflect the publication time. It's not coding: it's wording. Either Development can't do it (??), or they're not being paid to do it so they don't do it.
Flag
Apr 13, 2018
And slow-responding editors is part of what I mean when I say that TVCom's financial model makes no sense.

It used to be that editors on _current_ shows has 3 days to moderate their queues. Then TVCom changed that to 7 days. So.. they decided to give editors more time, in return for being less competitive. Needless to say, they became less competitive so that TVcom could be nicer to slow-responding editors. And most of the slow-responding editors either left the site or became even slower. They didn't stick at 4+ days to responding. They went to the edge of what allowed, just like they had before the change.

Of course, it also meant that TVcom staff didn't have to do as much.pursuing such instances. Although if they had pursued the instances early on, posted the policy, and provided clear guidelines to what was abusive, they wouldn't have had to do as much besides the initial "startup".

So TVcom decided to lose money to be nicer to its staff and editors. Needless to say... they've lost money, and hits, and editors.
Flag
Apr 14, 2018
I have submissions for Bonanza pending that are now 30 days old.. It's quite obvious now that enforcement of the rules for MIA editors no longer exists.
Flag
Apr 18, 2018
I've got subs now 6 MONTHS old and that was when JK was still here.
Flag
Apr 15, 2018
Given the low number of points, the current editor probably isn't MIA as much as non-existent/long gone. The system automatically made him editor, because of subs he made 5-7-10+ years ago.

(Although I suppose that condition, and "MIA", are the same thing.)

As is usually the case these days, the problem isn't the editor, as much as that there's no staff to check. The theory is that they'd notice after a week that the editor wasn't responding, either contact him to get a response or check to see when he was last on-line. And then force-retire him, so that either the next higher contributor would become editor. Or no one would become editor if there was no one left with 70+ CPs. And then staff would moderate the subs every business day.
Flag
Apr 15, 2018
Oh, I don't mind placing blame on an editor if they actually are ignoring their queue. I just think in this case, the "editor" probably showed up, fixed some stuff a while back, got 72 points, and left.

That's always been part of the problem of the TVcom editorial system. What if you don't want to be an editor? You could resign, but that's a mildly complicated process and it assumes you paid much attention in the first place.

Although these days, a show/person having an editor is the only way to get subs processed. Whether they're the editor's subs, or someone else's.

Just because I want to fix mistakes, doesn't mean I want to moderate everyone else fixing mistakes. :)
Flag
Apr 15, 2018
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Apr 15, 2018
I don't place blame on the editor, I was just pointing out that staff isn't monitoring subs that have been sitting for weeks in editor's queues... not like that's a surprise.

I scrolled all the way back and I find one still pending from January 30th when I submitted a death notice for an actor.
They're really on their toes here.

Flag
Apr 13, 2018
So it looks like publication is back up.

The funny thing is that if TVCom doesn't consider the site worth supporting except in the most minimal way possible... just tell us. If they aren't interested in being competitive, tell us. Keeping the site going at half mast as it were is essentially a lie.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
FYI, editing seems to have come back up sometimes Wednesday.

Of course, publication has broken down (again) as of this writing, so it's hard to tell as far as Quotes, Notes, Trivia, and Allusions. But summaries, recaps, cast, and crew seem to be updating when you edit them. Of course, they don't publish-update because of the publication glitch.

I'd congratulate Development, but when the emergency responders are also the people charged with coming up with cures and safety prevention, it becomes meaningless. Development is great at responding to emergencies... but they're emergencies created by Development not fixing the basic issues.

There may be legitimate reasons why Developoment can't fix the underlying basic issues. But since TVCom doesn't feel it necessary to tell us users, and Development can't or won't speak for themselves, all we can do is speculate.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
What a pain! Recaps from last night aren't showing up in edit and neither are cast and crew which means either the system didn't "keep" them and they'll have to be reentered or they're out there somewhere on another astral plane. Again, with no point of contact on this site, how to get an answer to this dilemma is impossible.
Flag
Apr 18, 2018
The last recaps I submitted took ten days to go public.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
It's just a publication failure for me (@ 1700 PST 04/11/18). Submissions are being accepted but having no immediate effect. Which is a pain in the proverbial when trying to sort cast.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
Cast, crew, summaries, and recaps should show up as soon as you edit them, at leas in the edit queues. It's the quotes and related episode trivia, and the main page changes, that don't publish/update.

Sorting cast should take place immediately, at least in the edit queue. On the episode page itself, not so much.
Flag
Apr 13, 2018
You're right, of course. My contribution history shows the cast / crew edits I made on Wednesday as approved, but they didn't take. I haven't seen that particular problem for several years so didn't recognise what was happening.
Flag
Apr 11, 2018
I am unable to add or change any information on the shows I edit. I get the "update successful" notice but nothing on the episode page changes.. It's pretty frustrating to enter 30 crew names just to have them not appear.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
Odd. I did have cast appear, last time I check at any rates. But the quotes and notes and such aren't, even when I check "behind the scenes".
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
I just tried one of mine again and lo and behold, it's working!
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
What did you try to add?
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
Cast & crew and a few moved from guest to recurring roles.
Flag
Apr 12, 2018
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Apr 11, 2018
I'd congratulate Development on fixing the problem relatively promptly. But a) it's the same damned problem that's been going on in one form or another for years, and b) it happened during peak time in the U.S. Not really an incentive for contributors to contribute to the site when the site bounces them to the home page, gives them UPDATE FAILED errors, and so on.

Flag
Apr 11, 2018
So eventually the moderation queue came back online. And the four subs indicated were editable. They were my subs, but oh well.

It looks like there was an hour or so when I added stuff (about 9/8 through 9:30) that subs just didn't go onto the site. At least as far as recaps and such are concerned. Quotes, who knows because publication looks like it might be screwed up again.

I always wonder if we get CPs for "failed" submissions. Not that it matters, since CPs don't matter much, either.
Flag
Apr 11, 2018
Well, that's an improvement of sorts. I can see my own subs in the queue. It doesn't tell me what show they're for.

It's only when I click on them that they become the aforementioned background gibberish.

And I can get into the episode summary queue. And it looks like you can edit cast.

I... guess that means someone is working on the problems. Go Team TVCom! Where the fun never ends...
Flag
Apr 11, 2018
The ironic thing is, if Development had fixed these issues back when we first mentioned them. Or the second time. Or the third time. Or the tenth...

But never put off until tomorrow what you can put off today.
Flag
Apr 18, 2018
I seriously doubt that anyone from staff reads these posts. I've always wondered if there are any actual dedicated staff for TvDOTcom or if we are just a blip on the general CBS site for all of their websites and on occasion, someone has to click a button to clear an error and then they go on to their other duties.
Flag
Apr 18, 2018
My guess would be that Development spends most of their time on other CBSInteractive sites, and has a mandate to watch TVCom for errors, do the occasional checking for new shows and such. I doubt if there's anyone "dedicated" to TVCom these days. As i noted elsewhere, TVCom is pretty much in automode now. It does what it does, and probably costs minimally less than it makes. If CBSInteractive knows the site exists (and their associate business manager and receptionist say they don't), they'd probably notice if it started losing money. Assigning people full-time to the site would cost them money, and make the site non-profitable.

CBSI probably figures the site runs itself. But... it doesn't. Even if the coding and automated processes were perfect, someone would have to moderate the subs. But... the coding and automated processes are far from perfect.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members