As a post Academy Awards discussion, I think this might be a fun one. What all-time favorites or critically-acclaimed or award-winning movies did you just happen to miss?

It happens to everyone. We all have blind spots, or genres we avoid and there's only so much time with all the great TV available these days. Still, it's time to come clean. Scroll through the history of Best Picture nominees (because we all know the best film rarely wins), and pick your most egregious examples.

My worst examples: I've never seen The Deer Hunter, A Clockwork Orange, or Chinatown.

Newest example: I've never gotten around to watching The Avengers.
Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 30, 2015
Citizen Kane, Shane, Avatar and Titanic. I've only seen parts of Pulp Fiction because I kept falling asleep.
Flag
Mar 06, 2014
Last night I watched The Big Bang Theory episode about Raiders of the Lost Ark and found out Indiana Jones was irrelevant.
Flag
Mar 06, 2014
Without having seen the episode, I think TBBT may have that one wrong...
Flag
Mar 06, 2014
Watch it, it's most revealing...
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
Anything nominated at this year's Oscars
Schindler's List
Titanic
Scarface
Gone with the WInd
Any Nightmare on Elm Street movie
Any Friday the 13 movie
Rocky (also haven't seen any after the third, though there's no shame in that)
Logan's Run *
Caddyshack *
Psycho
Rear Window
A Fistful of Dollars
Inglorious Basterds
Django Unchained

* despite owning them on DVD.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
Logan's Run is a really fascinating one as a result of the extremely dated campiness. Plus it's fun to fantasy cast the eventual terrible remake as you watch.

Personally, I'd vote for Caddyshack as the first one you should watch given its place in popular culture and the recent loss of Harold Ramis...

Then, watch the Hitchcock movies. Rear Window is an all-time favorite.
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
Movies that are considered classics and I actually plan on seeing before leave this earth:
Her
The Tree of Life
Capote
LA Confidential
The Deer Hunter
A Clockwork Orange
Nosferatu
Cleopatra
Lawrence of Arabia

Then there are movies I will NEVER watch:

Flag
May 07, 2015
Why not Avatar? Just curious. Too Pocahontas in space?
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
I'm not 100% sure that The Tree of Life belongs in that classic category, because I haven't seen it either and have never had anyone tell me I had to, but the others make sense.

If you can see Lawrence of Arabia on a big screen, definitely do.
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
I have a 55 inch LED flatscreen. Bigger?
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
Bigger.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
I didn't see Schindler's List, or The English Patient. I did however see the episodes of Seinfeld mocking them. I think I'll be okay.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
It's funny how some important movies are so widely discussed or mocked that you really don't have to see them any longer... I agree with some others who were disappointed by Taxi Driver in that regard. The hype led me to expect something far greater.
Flag
Mar 06, 2014
When I was in boot camp, in the Navy, after a month we got a movie night and I walked out on Hombre--TERRIBLE!
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
Don't get me started on movies I NEVER should have watched.

Taxi driver was INCREDIBLY lame. I am sorry, but that was lame lame lame.

I watched Scarface ONCE....only because I had to sit and guard a command center for 10 hrs and the ONLY thing to watch was Scarface on VHS. A waste of time. Although it is idolized by gang banger and drug dealers everywhere.

A Clockwork Orange might have been cool back in the day...but another lame movie.

Bullet...with Steve McQueen. Holy cow...if that was the epitome of a "man" movie in the '60's, then men then were stupid or Hollywood thought that men couldn't handle a movie with plot. That movie lacked plot, descent sound and acting. Without that car case it would be lost in time as one of the worst movies.

I looked at the list you posted from wiki. In the last 10 years, I might have seen 8 movies. Most of them I have never heard of.

I recognize many of the movies on the list by name, and know that they were a big deal because they were nominated, but a lot of them just don't interest me. Some of the best movies were never nominated for anything, The academy has a trend of ignoring movies about young couples, sci-fi and sequels.

I am still sour about Denzel Washington (Training Day) beating out Sean Penn (I am Sam) for best actor, Penn was WAY better.

My top movie lists includes movies that were never nominated for an academy award.

I stay away from the majority of the movies on the list. Just because it is academy nominated, doesn't always make it worth watching.

I am ashamed to say I have never seen Casablanca, or The Maltese Falcon. I have never heard of the movie "How Green Was My Valley"(1941), but Citizen Kane was an INCREDIBLE movie written, directed and staring the amazing Orson Welles...who was shunned from Hollywood.

Just like Star Wars is an amazing film and series....yet Lucas has always been ignored from the academy awards. The academy wouldn't know good taste if they were slapped in the face.

More+
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
İ almost finished İmdb Top 250 so here are my regrets
Shutter İsland,Wolf of Wall Street,Untouchables,Blue Velvet,12 Years A Slave,Eraserhead
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
Shutter Island + 12 Years A Slave? oof. Loved both.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
İ wish i had seen them by now!Especially Shutter İsland.People always talk about how great the ending twist was.But it's too damn long.İ just can't sit through it just like Wolf of Wall Street!
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
I never saw A Clockwork Orange, Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, Schindler's List, Godfather III (although I did see the first two), the list goes on...but do plan to watch them eventually. I have seen Casablanca (one of my favorites along with Maltese Falcon - I love Humphrey Bogart), and I watched Gone with the Wind, but didn't care for it (I was young when I watched and thought it was waaay too long). I might give Gone with the Wind another try...someday.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
To name just a few Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, 2001 A Space Odyssey, The Deer Hunter, A Clockwork Orange, Casablanca, Schindler's List.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- Gone with the Wind
- On the Waterfront
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Midnight Cowboy
- The Deer Hunter (I tried several times, but Christopher Walken just wasn't as funny then.)
- Most of the other winners through the 70s and early 80s
- Slumdog Millionaire
- 12 Years a Slave

On the plus side, I've seen so many really great movies, as well as some less esteemed ones, that made up for their lack of pedigree by being FUN, so I have no regrets. And who knows, maybe I'll make it all the way through "Deer Hunter" some day. I can dream, can't I?
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
2001: A Space Odyssey :/
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
Its not great.
Flag
Staff
Mar 05, 2014
Really? But everyone in the world LOVES it so!
Flag
May 30, 2015
I thought it was okay, although a bit slow. The ending was a bit bizarre.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
On top of my watchlist on IMDB are Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. I'm not sure if I should be proud or worried that I've seen almost all oscar candidates snce 1970.
Flag
Staff
Mar 04, 2014
Goodfellas! Scorcese's best film. Ever.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
As a former film student,I watched a lot of movies but a few classics slipped by me like Lawrence of Arabia,Gandhi,Gone with the Wind,Sunset Boulevard,A Streetcar named Desire and From here to Eternity.
Recent films haven't seen.....Argo,Gravity and American Hustle but plan on watching soon.
Then there's movies I missed on purpose like After Earth and Grown ups 1&2!
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
I haven't seen many of the classics--pre-70s movies like Casa Blanca, North by Northwest, etc.. I guess if I got embarrassed about stuff like this then it would be my lack of knowledge about the classics. I did see the 30s flick Freaks!

Chinatown didn't make sense to me but it may of been my age and other influences that affected my understanding. However I never had the urge to re-watch it. I saw A Clockwork Orange as a really young kid ("snuck" watched a bootleg video, or betamax version). I need to re-watch it as an adult but as a young kid I found it disturbing yet interesting. I plan to watch The Deer Hunter but haven't yet. I haven't watched any of the Godfather movies either but plan to watch them (I like mobster movies). Sh*t, I don't think I've seen The Avengers yet either but not embarrassed about it.

The closest to "embarrassment"I get is only seeing a handful of "classics" (pre-1970s movies) and haven't seen most some of the most iconic classics.

I have a hard enough time watching my favorite tv shows. Many of the movies that came out over the past view years haven't interested me much.

I haven't seen 12 years a slave. One day I will get around to it. I'm still catching up on older Cronenberg films.
More+
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
A Clockwork Orange is still disturbing and interesting for an adult I saw the movie when I was young an bought de DVD about ten years ago to watch it again. It is a good movie though.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
As much as I hate to admit it to people, I've never seen the Godfather. I actually like mobster movies but for some reason I've never seen it.
Flag
Mar 04, 2014
It took me a long time to check that one off too... it always feels like a huge commitment when you see the AMC marathon starting up and know there are commercials added to the 175 minute runtime, but it's definitely worth the effort to watch on DVD / stream!
Flag