Discussion
Mar 04, 2014
What Movie Are You Most Embarrassed to Admit You've Never Watched?
As a post Academy Awards discussion, I think this might be a fun one. What all-time favorites or critically-acclaimed or award-winning movies did you just happen to miss?

It happens to everyone. We all have blind spots, or genres we avoid and there's only so much time with all the great TV available these days. Still, it's time to come clean. Scroll through the history of Best Picture nominees (because we all know the best film rarely wins), and pick your most egregious examples.

My worst examples: I've never seen The Deer Hunter, A Clockwork Orange, or Chinatown.

Newest example: I've never gotten around to watching The Avengers.
Discussion
Jan 13, 2014
Top 20 Film Scores: Do You Agree?
What would movies be without the musical scores. Some movies are pretty much defined by it. I am a huge fan of Ennio Morricone and I will watch the Spaghetti Westerns at least twice a year and enjoy them as one long music clip. And although scores are sometimes replaced or enhanced by other sounds (the first movie to do without any conventional incidental score was ‘Birds’ from Alfred Hitchcock), it remains one of the major defining characteristics of movies.

Recently, while watching a BBC quiz, I ran into the fact that there was a BBC top 20 of film scores and looked it up. I had seen 16 of them, even had the scores of some at home, but didn’t know the bottom ones. At least they got me to think about my favourite ones.

The vote was part of the BBC’s Sound Of Cinema, a season ...Read more
staff
General Show Discussion
Discuss the show: general-movie-discussion

Join in on the general-movie-discussion general show discussion.

Discussion
Dec 23, 2013
Done, Redone: For Better or For Worse?
Sometimes I get surprised when something seemingly new hits the big screen. Only to be educated that it's a remake of a classic movie. This must be a generation issue.

Or a financial deal?

Let's look at some of my picks.

The Mechanic (2011)

I watched the 2011 ...Read more
Discussion
Dec 01, 2013
What did I Watch? Second Take
This is one film I remember seeing. Haywire (2011) by Steven Soderbergh with Gina Carano and Ewan McGregor. It's in the same category as my Which Movie - post in POI.

This film is about deceit and pretty much a Jason Bourne with a female hero.

So, what movie am I unsure of what it was?

#1 A group of operatives work on a black site where they enter lines of code in to a computer at even intervals. They don't know why they do it but it's for national security reasons. Something in the title must be something related to code.

In the end there's some double crossings - as there always are... Hmm, and there's a trouble with what is real and not. Is the agency the code-runners working for pro-US or really anti-US?

I highly enjoyed this movie but can't remember what it ...Read more