I always assume people will ‘do the right thing’ when confronted with a sticky situation. Whether it’s giving someone directions when they’re lost or seriously helping to make the world a better place. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case.

This is why the ABC series What Would You Do? hosted by John Quiñones, has become so popular. We all love to watch how other people behave and believe that we would always make the ‘right’ choice.

Actress Lorraine Rodríguez-Reyes returns on the hidden-camera series this season to help set-up the hypothetical situations throughout the season. Fans of the show will remember her from the segments ‘Extreme Couponer’, ‘Lesbian Cake’, ‘Gay in the Military’, ‘Military Veteran’ and ‘Speak American’.

I recently caught up with Lorraine Rodríguez-Reyes to find out more.

Q: What can you tell us about your appearances on ABC’s What Would You Do?

LORRAINE: My very first episode was in the fall of 2006. Negligent Nanny ( I don't think it ever aired.) WWYD at that time was still part of 20/20. Ten years later we are in season 11. I have been in about 22 episodes, which has been pretty exciting. I have played many different kinds of characters: nannies, victims, and even instigators. The experience of creating such opposing personalities has been extremely interesting and fulfilling for me as an actress. The show has also pushed the envelope with political issues, creating a mirror for the audience, something which is so important for television to continue to do.

Q: How was it working on such a fan-favorite show?

LORRAINE: It has truly been a blessing to be a part of such a wonderful show. John Quiñones and the crew are absolutely fabulous. I call them my "ABC Family".

Q: Anything surprise you about the segments you’ve been part of?

LORRAINE: Each segment is different and has its own unique magical moments. I always leave set feeling invigorated and imbued with new faith in humanity.

Q: What’s been the most interesting or eye-opening interaction you’ve had?

LORRAINE: The segment, Military Veteran, which we shot in San Antonio Texas, at the La Fiesta super market. The scenario: the veteran had just returned from Iraq and was trying to buy food for his family. But his credit card was declined and he did not have enough cash to pay for his items. The total was $39.10. An elderly woman, who stood behind him, observed the situation. She asks me: "how much is he short?" I reply: "$3.50 short." She looked inside her wallet and then said: "I can give him the three dollars but can you chip in fifty cents?" She asked because she needed enough money to pay for her own groceries. This moment has stayed with me.... she barely had enough for her own food, and yet she did not bat an eyelid when this soldier needed help. It was amazing! Her generosity and selflessness were eye-opening and deeply inspirational.

Q: What’s the biggest lesson you’ve taken away from the opportunity?

LORRAINE: That we have to examine what role we as human beings play in society. The show reinforces the notion that we must care for one another, be compassionate and get involved, that each one of us must strive to be an active participant in society - at all times.
Q: What else is coming up for you in the near future?

LORRAINE: I will be in more episodes of WWYD, which I just shot last Saturday.
I recently filmed a feature film, Vengeance: A Love Story, with Nicholas Cage, directed by Johnny Martin. At the present moment I am in the midst of adding the male perspective to my solo piece, "Mami Confessions".

Fans can find out more about Lorraine Rodríguez-Reyes at: www.LorraineRodriguezReyes.com
Comments
Submit
There are no comments yet. Be the first by writing down your thoughts above.
Follow this Topic
Members