'Cause you smashed my heart when you did what you said you'd never do.

"Forever Mine Nevermind" is kind of a weird episode. Some of it is fallout from last week's "blast from the past" vision quest. Part if it advancement of the whole Clootie Demon release plot. And I wish they'd find a better name for it than "Clootie Demon". Part of it is finding out more about Rosita, if that's who you were wondering about. And part of it is tying that in with Waverly, who admits that she's probably half-revenant to Rosita. Who is all-revenant.

To recap... hmm, there's about three separate plots going on. As Team Earp breaks into pairs with Jeremy and Rosita along for the ride. That conveniently gives us three pairs of two. Pair one is Wynonna and Doc, with Wynonna inviting Doc over for dinner. It's what you'd expect of Wynonna making dinner, complete with a red licorice stick and "ketchup glaze".

However, Doc has bought a strangely compelling painting as a gift for Wynonna. The shopkeeper is some demon type, and I have no idea what his business is. He has a tail, and I guess the painting places some kind of hate/"speak your mind" spell on Doc and Wynonna. They're soon arguing about Doc handing over his ring with the incitement of a porcelain doll that is being held by a girl in the painting. It comes out of the painting and eventually grows to human size. Then Wynonna shoots it with Peacemaker, and Doc gives his ring to Wynonna anyway. After explaining that he's afraid of enclosed spaces after his mother died of TB and he used to crawl under the floorboards to listen to her cry and pray.

Track two is Dolls and Jeremy finding out that Mercedes and Beth Gardiner are the possessed Widows. Or something. I thought they already knew that the Gardiners were no-goodniks. Anyhoo, this means that Dolls breaks into the Gardiner house and discovers the real Mercedes crawling around with no face, and the Widows are taking the sisters' faces but not their bodies? Jeremy gets involved and the sister that Dolls is chasing manages to escape.

And maybe it's just me, but I have trouble telling Mercedes and Beth apart. I know that they're sisters, so the two actresses should look somewhat similar. But given the typical low lighting and the heavy CGI Widow effect on the sisters sometimes, it's hard to tell which one is which. I think the one that escapes the house and casts the ritual later is Mercedes: the earlier one is Beth. Anyhoo, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also, a lot of this is Jeremy trying to bond with Dolls. Which involves Jeremy watching cricket with Dolls because Dolls is a cricket fan (??). And talking nonstop over the earbuds until Dolls gets so sick of him that he pulls out his earbud and throws it away. And I like Jeremy, but the writers seem to be trying a bit too hard to get him onto Team Wynonna. Just like the character is trying to hard in the show.

Track three is that Waverly is still unhappy that Nicole hid the DNA tests that showed she isn't an Earp. They fight a bit, and then Waverly bonds with Rosita at Shorty's. Using a gift card that Dolls gave her (??), Rosita takes Waverly to a spa to relax. And while discussing Waverly's issues with Nicole, they share a kiss and then decide it's a bad idea because Rosita has Doc and Waverly has Nicole.

Earlier, they found what was apparently Tucker's dead body. Tucker is still sexually obsessed with Waverly, kills Rosita when Waverly isn't looking, and starts putting the pervy moves on Waverly. She plays for time by offering to call Wynonna and says that she's leaving town so that Wynonna won't come after her. This buys time for Rosita to come back from the "dead" and knock Tucker out. She reveals that she's a revenant, and then she and Waverly go to Shorty's for another heart-to-heart. Rosita reveals that she became a revenant because she ended up with Wyatt's friend. And Wyatt had a falling-out with said friend so he shot her. Ouch.

So... Bobo the original good guy wasn't able to stay a good guy because Hell burned it out of him. But Rosita was? Okay. Anyhoo, Rosita tells Waverly to get back to Nicole. Then there's Mercedes casting a ritual to learn where the third seal is. Cut to Nicole answering a knock on her door and finds Mercedes there. Ruh-roh!

With four more episodes left, I guess they're going for the whole Clootie Demon resurrection thing as the big season finale. Which I'm still not too impressed with. I guess I'm just not feeling Clootie as a threat. The Widows are trying to break the seals and bring him back, but I'm not sure why and this week they seem divided. I'm also not clear what their connection is to Tucker. I mean, yes, I understand that Tucker is connected to Mercedes and Beth, and the Widows are using their faces. But why the Widows put up with Tucker so long, I don't know. He does get just desserts of a sort here.

It doesn't help that Tucker faked his own death earlier by burning up a hitchhiker and putting his ring on the dead guy's finger. But then he got frostbite when he hiked back to Purgatory. Which means that actor Caleb Ellsworths-Clark wanders around with goofy-looking "frostbite" makeup" when he gets together with Waverly later.

Tip of the Week: When preparing to fake your own death in advance, remember to bring adequate facial protection in cold-weather conditions.

There are a few jokes by/about Wynonna and her pregnancy. She's still having trouble dealing with it, and Doc is still being all courtly and old-fashioned about it. At the end, Doc gives up his ring anyway--which is the third seal which if broken unleashes Clootie--and gets down on one knee. And Wynonna says "I do," so it looks all one-knee-engagement-y.

Overall, "Forever" seemed to be putting pieces in place for the season finale. Although with four episodes (?) to go, it seems a little early to start doing that. It looks like Mercedes is going to do a number on Nicole. That'll make Waverly all hard and determined. Doc gives up his ring, which means that he'll start aging normally but since the actor was doing that anyway... so what? It's never been clear that I recall if Doc is Highlander-style immortal, or just unaging.

Wynonna's revenant baby is heading down the tracks, and that seems like more of something to hang a season finale on than Clootie. Dolls' dragon king other-self is mentioned briefly but we don't see him unleash it.

No sign of Bobo, although last week ended with his resurrection. And shouldn't the other revenants Wynonna killed also be coming back? Or was she only dead so briefly that the strongest one managed to return?

I did like the bit about Wynonna seeing the life-size porcelain doll and saying that they already had a Dolls.

So "Forever" is an okay episode, with lots of character beats. But there are some confusing plot elements to it, too.. Like why at the end is Tucker wandering through the woods looking for Waverly? Does he expect her to stick around? Or respond to him after her friend clobbered him over the head?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
8 Comments
Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Aug 11, 2017
I caught up to this show recently. I'm betting on the baby to be the focus of the finale. And anyone wanting to bet on the fact that it's going to oh-so-boringly rapidly grow up soon after?
Flag
Aug 11, 2017
It says there are 6 comments. Why can I only see two?
Flag
Aug 11, 2017
What says there are only six commands? Which two do you see?
Flag
Aug 11, 2017
Has it been established that it's a Revnant baby? I just thought she considered it a 50/50 chance.
Flag
Aug 11, 2017
I think they implied "mommy instincts" tell her it's a demon baby.
Flag
Aug 11, 2017
Well, half-Revenant at any rate.
Flag
Aug 08, 2017
&3 Wynonna and Waverly sparring session. Happy I binged and caught up with this.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members