We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

And here I thought we had a Dominion community. Anyhoo, with no community and no staff review yet this week (maybe they're all at the TCA?), thought I'd post my own unofficial review of the 7/17 episode, "Something Borrowed."

If interested, you can find the text recap here.

* I apologize if whatever Claire, William, and David were passing around aren't gloves. Several people seemed to think they were, and "fragments of cloth" is way too long to type.

Cute title, and it turns out to have significance later in the episode, too.

This episode was light on the angelic battle and heavy on the inter-palace scheming. No Gabriel this week, no Uriel. Not that there was any reason for them to be in this particular episode, but it robbed last week’s story of some of the momentum.

Instead we got scheming. Lots and lots of scheming. David is trying to oust Edward. Claire is trying to blackmail David. William is helping Claire against his father. David is blackmailing Becca into supporting him. William is still conspiring against the city, sorta, by working for Gabriel as a spy. Arika seems curiously absent this week, but I suppose her scheming would have been lost among all the other scheming.

Oh, and Becca ships Michael’s lovers out of the city to Helena so that David can’t use them against the archangel. And then breaks off her relationship with him. Sorry, Becca/Michael shippers (all three of you). I guess I'd find this subplot more interesting if a) at least one of them wasn't a cold fish, b) we understood why angel-human relations are so scandalous, and c) we knew anything about their backstory in the first place.

I will not "give you some sugar, baby."

Edward seems surprisingly clueless about David’s efforts against him. However, he’s busy keeping a deep dark secret of his own: he’s got a little lesser-angel booty on the side but she wants more. The angel, Clementine (not sure if that’s the angel’s name or the name of Edward’s dead wife, or both), goes on a road trip into Vega and kills a shopkeeper, and that puts her on the run when the military realizes that there’s an eight-ball in the city. Which brings us back around to Alex, who doesn’t really do a lot else this week.

Alex is basically taking lessons from Michael on how to be a Chosen One. The physical training isn’t going well as the archangel provokes him into losing his temper. Again. And again. And again. However, thanks to meditation Alex gets another message from the tattoos that he is supposed to make sure no one else dies like Bixby did. The little girl, not the Incredible Hulk.

I taught World War I fighters everything they knew about flying out of the sun. Now drop and give me infinity, Chosen One!

We also find out that Alex and Noma were romantically involved until she had to dump him rather than risk exposure and his losing his military status. They have this conversation while hunting down Clementine, and then split up and Alex gets the drop on the lesser-angel. She pleads for her life, saying that she has a daughter, which leads us into... the engagement party. Claire toasts a portrait of her family and speaks in honor of her dead mother, who is the human body that Clementine is using.

Given that the promo for the next episode show Claire meeting her mother, this hopefully means that they’ll address the issue of what angels do when they possess a human. Are the human personalities totally wiped out? Are they buried but can emerge under the right circumstances? Can the angel be driven out and the human restored? Given this has been glossed over for the most part on Supernatural, where Sam and Dean off demons and don’t seem too concerned about the humans that they’re also killing, it’ll be interesting to see where Dominion takes the whole entity-possession thing.

So the episode ended on a cliffhanger as Alex hesitates to shoot Clementine. Some reviewers seemed to think that he had already spared her, but it seemed more like he was on the cusp of a decision then having made it in her favor.

Overall it was a week of scheming and political backstabbing. We find out a little more about David’s past and why he is why he is. I’m not sure if the fact that his son got David’s wife and other two children killed is intended to make us sympathize with David or not. It does lead to one of the best scenes of the episode, where William grabs his father’s cane, they struggle, and then William kisses his father’s forehead and says that he’s what David has made him.

The set piece of the episode was Claire blackmailing David, which I wish had been made a little clearer. I’m sure someone will explain it to me, but... William planted the gloves in David’s desk. Then he sent Claire up there and she found the gloves. Did William tell her they were there, or did he just send her up to get his speech knowing she’d find them? She asked him for help earlier so if he didn’t tell her it was a setup, it seems like she would figure it out. And a pair of black gloves doesn’t seem like very distinctive blackmail material. Do Black Acolytes have exclusive gloves that can’t be duplicated? Since this had to be a strong enough piece of evidence to get David to go along with Claire, I wish that they had made this clearer.

If the gloves fit, you must a-quit botherin' my father.

Presumably William didn’t let Claire in on his plan. If he did, wouldn’t she wonder where he found an indisputable piece of evidence that only a Black Acolyte would have. But on the other hand, won’t she wonder if William planted it there, since she had just had a conversation with her where he offered to help her with his father?

It also makes Claire out as kind of scummy. She seems willing to keep her father in power despite the fact that she believes a Black Acolyte now holds the second most powerful position in Vega. Either that, or she’s making a really boneheaded decision. I don’t mind smart characters making boneheaded decisions, if they acknowledge why they’re doing it. In this case, Claire is presumably letting David the Black Acolyte stay in power to protect her father. If the writers have her or someone else point that out, it would make for a much more effective scene. Here’s hoping that they do in a future episode.

Other than that, nothing really happened. The episode basically gave us more of a look at David, William, Claire, Clementine, and Noma. If you like this kind of palace intrigue, this is the episode for you. If you wanted a week of flying angels engaging in swordfights, then it isn’t.
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Okay, so mea culpa, the "gloves" were a blindfold. They sure didn't make any effort to make that clear in this episode, though.
Flag
Okay this was probably the worst episode in my opinion. People doing a lot of stupid things with senator Thorn as the exception (when you are being blackmailed - either tell someone or get rid of the evidence). It could still backfire but at least she's doing something.

As for the training. Two episodes ago Michael told Alex that bullets fired on him had a tendency of doing more harm to the shooter than to Michael and yet he asks Alex whom he's supposed to protect to shoot at him. Either he knows Alex is a terribly shooter or this makes absolutely no sense.

As for Alex - I'm actually starting to like him less than I did in the beginning. He seems to be going out of his way of making stupid decisions or just not telling Michael important things. Please wise up. And fast. And as for the scene with Bixby it makes no sense either considering she wasn't killed by an angel. So either Alex is misinterpreting the vision (which is very likely) or the vision is wrong.

I don't know if the backstory was supposed to make us feel sorry for David and understand why he doesn't like his son. But it did the opposite to me. If you are in a war be prepared for everything and teach your children to shut up when you are hiding. And if things go wrong you should blame yourself in stead of your only surviving child.

As for the others actions. At least Riesen tried to clean up his mess and Claire tried to protect her father but blackmailing David will most likely backfire and she should know that.

So for the first time I'm not really looking forward to the next episode even though I'll probably stick with it for now.
More+
Flag
I think Michael meant the bullets were dangerous at close range, due to a ricochet or blowback.
Flag
Liked the ending ..with Claire mom reveal..
This show is gonna be a grind but I'm willing to stick.(The P word is there(Potential).
I don't know if like the way the professor from Buffy is playing the role of David (Evil Senator). Either I can't believe its him or he is hamming it up big time. It VEXES me. and one more thing are Vega and Delphi(or the city with the women) the only cities left on earth?? That question has to be asked doesn't it???

Flag
Helena is the city with the women. New Delphi was the other city mentioned, that Alex was going to run away to and seems to be the "paradise" of the post Apocalypse.

I also tend to find the show a bit of a grind. It really could use a bit more of the self-effacing humor of a Defiance or a Haven. I wouldn't go so far as Warehouse 13, Eureka, or Supernatural. Yeah, it's the post Apocalypse and all, but they could lighten up a little...
Flag
Agreed..Sometimes these shows take it TOO seriously.. Every show can't be BSG!
Flag
I can't figure out where you got that the blindfold was a glove. That's just odd. The blindfolds that the Black Acolytes carry was introduced in the first episode. The image on them are eyes. Gabriel sees everything.
Gloves. That is jsut too funny :-)
Flag
I have a theory. I believe that the writers, are planning to make Claire the "Big Bad", among humans. Anyone???
Flag
I'm guessing that in the next episode we get some flashbacks explaining Clementines situation.

Ok episode, I was hoping for something to do with the sword shard they were analyzing in the last episode
Flag
Which, although I forgot to mention it in my review, doesn't really warm me toward the Becca/Michael relationship. Even if she's doing it for the best of intentions, she appears to be going behind Michael's back to find out his weaknesses. That won't end well.
Flag
I was thinking she might start developing weapons to combat the angels
Flag
David KNOWS that his son William is a black acolyte. That's gonna be interesting...
Thanks Gislef, great post/review. It's a shame that we still don't have a community for this show, maybe next season then.
Flag
I think those gloves you referred to is actually one of those blindfold or satchel things from the pilot with the face on it which is the symbol of the dark acolytes. as blackmail goes it is probably just enough to make him backoff a bit. When David looked at his son he realized it was him who put it there so there is a change william would testify against him.
Flag
I got the feeling that Claire didn't really have William's permission to be there, she lied to the guard. Also, William was going to burn the cloth thinguie when his father came in, so he wasn't there to plant it. I think he forgot it was with him, and then stupidly thought it would be better hidden anywhere but on his person. Stupidly, I say, because I doubt anyone would be frisking him anytime soon.
Flag
I did sort of feel like when they were plotting out this season, they were sort of like, wait, before we go full fledged into our story, we need to really make sure the audience knows Claire and William. I kept waiting for us to get back to Alex (like where exactly was he the whole time between leaving Michael's perch and showing up in the locker room, I believe the storyline told us it was like just however long that takes, but there were like thirty five full minutes of show where he was missing). I was better when I figured out, okay, I should be paying more attention to William (who still is the most interesting character so far) and Claire and following up on that she is pretty scary in her own right. But, I have been on record on the previous official recaps is a whole entire episode where we get to know Alex. I know some surface details about him, I know his motivation is driven mainly by his abandonment when he was 11. Sure, okay he and that chick were involved (thanks for letting me know her name) but I guess I was a little, dude, you're 25. I know you grew up in this society, but you were planning on running somewhere with Claire, why did that never occur to you in any of the times it occurs to everyone past the age of 16. Heck, even though Jeep was supposedly dead, it sort of seemed like the note indicated Alex always knew that when he left he was alive - did he never decide to go look for him? He is kind of a tempermental brat, but he seems like he probably is a good dude. Lets explore him some more so we know and understand why he was chosen. Heck, I know and understand why Scott McCall is a True Alpha, I mean, I guess I didn't fully know much more about him the first season than he was just freaked out but I feel like we knew he was scared of being a monster (and why he and Liam will be annoyingly charming together) and we knew he was the heart where Stiles was the head of their relationship probably by the end of the pilot. I want to know why Alex is the Chosen One and what the hell that means, especially since there apparently is an interpretation that benefits the angels.
More+
Flag
What David need desperately from Michael his SUNSCREEN!
Flag
I prefer my weekly dose of flying angels engaging in swordfights; thus it is a little sad that Michael's ass-kicking counter did not rise this episode (can't count him slapping Alex around in the desert, that was obviously just for kicks and way too easy).

That said, I do adore palace intrigue. While the blackmail thing seemed a little weak (no matter how much people believe Claire, it's still odd to think that everyone would just turn on the consul of the city and accept he's a traitor - plus as you mention in your review, is she really satisfied just letting a supposed traitor hold such high office?)

And yes, the scene with William pressing his father's forehead towards him was the best scene this episode. William is, in some ways, probably the most complex and interesting character on the show. He lives in wealth, but it has not jaded him to the plight of others; he is a true believer, only not the faith he espouses publicly; he seems to be weak-willed and under his father's thumb, yet he is quite clearly willing to go extreme lengths for what he believes in. This scene really brought it out, showing us that to some degree, William's subservience to his father is an act. I wouldn't be surprised if we got ourselves a patricide in some episode.

It was a great explanation for why the general had an affair with the angel; I found it really strange when it was first introduced, but it was an interesting twist. I am glad it also had a plausible explanation. Dominion is shaping up to be a better show than I ever thought.

I am totally rooting for Noma, by the way. She's my girl in this show, not Claire or anybody else. Give her more to do in future episodes, it would be great to see her become a full-blown character (similarly, I like the third party of their trio, the guy who steals stuff to sell it on). And as always, let Michael wreak havoc with his dual swords as much as the budget allows. His training session before meeting the lady consul was cool, but just an appetiser. I need to see those blades shine.
More+
Flag
This is a decent enough show. The only issue that I have is why they attempted to humanize David after her killed Bixby last episode? I presume they are releasing the episodes in order, so that didn't really make sense to me.

Also If Michael knows more than people think of what is going on in Vega, then certainly he should know that David is a duplicitous asshole hell bent of prevent Alex to become powerful. So why isn't David dead yet? Also, Alex is kind of simple.
Flag
I'm not sure if they were trying to humanize David, or just show why he's such a scum bag.
Flag
I think they were trying to explain, why William is the way he is. David blaming him for the rest of the family's deaths, and raising him harshly.
Flag
Thanks for reviewing this Gislef. I am really enjoying this show. This, Salem, and The Last Ship have entertained this summer!

Flag
we understood why angel-human relations are so scandalous

It isn't their relationship that is so bad ...it is the possibility they will have offspring that is scandalous ...at least biblically speaking. See: Nephilim

Or maybe it is just as simple as angels have pretty bad approval ratings currently and it is to close to having relations with the sworn enemy of humanity (even though some angels like MIchael are with the humans and some are neutral). I guess it would be the equivalent of dating a German during WW2, regardless if they were a Nazi - it might be frowned on. People see it in a suspicious light.
Flag
I'm familiar with the Nephilim, and the idea of twisted human-angel births was mentioned in the first episode. But it seems so scandalous that they make it seem like people have first-hand experience of it. That's the kind of back-story I'd like to see on the show, not how David got his evil groove on, or that Noma and Alex had a romantic relationship.

Also, Michael seems to have a pretty solid reputation in Vega. As well he presumably should. In the first episode when he was standing up there in Edward's booth, there weren't any humans looking at him askance, or booing him, or whatever.
Flag
MAybe because she is on the council - she wants to keep it on the downlow. You're right, there would be no reason to doubt Michael. I think it is more the stigma put on all Angels generalizing from the gang that wants them extinct
Flag
Just to let you know, I have PMed Jessica back when this premiered about getting a Community. Vicky and a few others have as well.

I was told it is on the mystical "LIST" and that it is in the plans. But yeah ...we have been asking for a Community for over a month
Flag
Dominion, The Leftovers, & Tyrant all need communities. Dominion's season is half over already. :(
Flag
Well - I now see our Community posts are no longer featured on the front page. Not sure if that is a glitch or a new format.
Flag
I'm not one to complain, about fan sites very often. This still my favorite site, for discussing television. But i've been spending, more and more time at SpoilerTV.com, for show discussions.
Flag
They fixed it here. It must have been some glitch that stuck an ad in over the top. Regardless - I have nothing but good things to say about SpoilerTV
Flag
Add to that Constantine and The Flash. But there is still plenty of time for them.
Flag
the famous LIST that never gets anything crossed off! I think they now have a generic "canned" response for all requests for new communities and for most requests. At least they voted up this post.
Excellent post @Gislef
Flag
Here here, Vicky!
Flag
woof woof;-)
Flag
Thanks!

Staff also voted up a Utopia review, and that show does have a community. So I figured if staff would approve a review for a show that has a community, in General TV, they would approve one for a review of a shwo that didn't have a community.
Flag
Well, I sent a PM to Jessica as well. If a staff member is posting a review each week, you don't really notice that there is a lack of a community. I just kinda figured the staff review was the weekly thread on the series community.
Flag
Nope. And when I sent a second request, asking for a Community because I was interested in contributing to the show ...I was reminded I already informed her and "IT IS ON THE LIST!!!" (emphasis intended). In other words - "fuck off we'll get to it when we get to it"
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members