So tonight's episode was even more reminiscent of Supernatural beyond the fact that Eric Kripke created Timeless and Supernatural. Not only were Jim Beaver (Bobby Singer) and Misha Collins (Castiel) in the episode. But one of the NSA agents was named Singer

But "Public Enemy No. 1" broke the mode in several ways. It started with the NSA (presumably on orders from Rittenhouse) sending the team to assassinate Flynn's mother. Some new soldier goes along with them, and Rufus and Lucy promptly tranq him. Then fly the Lifeboat to the warehouse where Denise and Wyatt are waiting. They plan to take the Lifeboat to make sure Amy's parents meet so that she is born and therefore restored to the timeline.

Before that can happen, the team gets an alert that Flynn has gone to Chicago, March 1931. The team goes back to stop Flynn, even though they're not any fonder of Rittenhouse than Flynn is. But they're not leaving a trail of bodies in their wake so there's that. Although there's a brief opening bit with Flynn going to a church and talking to an unnamed priest about whether what he's doing has God's blessing or not. We've seen signs that Flynn isn't big on the whole "kill them all and let God sort 'em out" approach, either. And I'm still liking Goran Visnjic in the role. I'm not sure if the writers as a whole really have a solid grasp on his character. But Mr. Visnjic seems up to playing Flynn whether they write him as a sociopath or a troubled killer depending on what time of the month it is.

So between the little church interlude at the beginning and the aborted assassination mission, the episode has already gone off the familiar pattern. Lucy, Wyatt, and Rufus go back to 1931 and discover that the whole situation is FUBAR. Al Capone escaped indictment on tax evasion thanks to Flynn providing him with the tax records. This means Al owes Flynn a favor. Flynn also warns Al about Eliot Ness, making two favors. But meanwhile the team seeks out Ness. I'm beginning to suspect that Misha Collins doesn't have a huge range of acting emotions. His Ness is a slightly more human Castiel.

Maybe if we had more time with Eliot, Mr. Collins would get to display a bigger range. But in another plot twist, Eliot gets killed by a Capone hitman. Killing a significant historical figure is a pretty surprising twist, although it's not the first time the show has done it. Although they haven't gone quite so far. It'd be nice to see more repercussions from these historical changes. The timeline of the Timeless 2017 must be quite a mess by now.

Without Eliot, our trio goes to somebody else for help, Prohibition Agent Richard Hart, aka Jimmy Capone, Al Capone's big brother. Jimmy prefers to keep a low profile and has been avoiding Al so he doesn't become a criminal like his brother. Lucy basically guilts Richard/Jimmy into helping them. They go to Al's hotel HQ and Jimmy gets them in. Flynn has already called in the first half of his favor with Al to get hold of Mayor William Thompson and beat the location of the next Rittenhouse conclave (in 1954) out of him. Although Flynn has gone, Al is going to fulfill his second favor by killing Rufus at Flynn's request.

There's a surprisingly long bit where Al and Jimmy trade stories about the good old day (do we need to know how Al got his facial scars?), and the team looks on. Then Al shoots Rufus, Jimmy kills Al, Wyatt kills Al's henchman. Wyatt and Lucy take the badly wounded Rufus back to the Lifeboat, but he passes out over the controls before they can depart. And he's the only one who can pilot the Lifeboat. Ruh roh!

As I noted, there's a few nice twists in the episode. The aborted assassination attempt, the team going off-book to stop Flynn, and Ness's end-of-second-act death help to separate "Public Enemy" from previous episodes. Which for quite a while were basic, "Flynn has traveled into the past, let's go stop him but he escapes in the end" stories.

There's also a subplot where Conor and the NSA figure that Jiya is a traitor. They lock her up, but she (somehow) hacks into the Mason Industries computer by MacGyvering a laptop out of spare parts, and shuts down the power. Which doesn't seem to do anything other than stop them for a few minutes. This also gives Conor a reason (I think) to ask Cahill to give him access to the NSA data farm so that he can create an uber-surveillance system. Which means Conor is trying to set up... Samaritan? Wait, didn't we see this plot in Person of Interest? It's nice to see Conor as a little more than nervous Rittenhouse extortion victim. But it seems a little late in the season to be giving us another subplot about what Conor is really up to. I'm all for making Conor more than just a CEO type on the wrong end of Rittenhouse, but this seems out of left field.

Overall, this is a pretty dense episode, story-wise. There's not a lot of banter between the team, and Jiya doesn't really have a lot to do. They capture her pretty easily, practically as soon as Rufus tells her that the NSA is up to no good. I like Claudia Doumit, but they don’t seem to be able to find anything to do with her. Or give her character a last name. Ditto for Agent Denise, who gets the short-end of the stick this episode. Conor gets a bit more but it's not clear where they're going and I'm not sure if he's trying to make "Samaritan" for himself, or for Rittenhouse. Or if it's for himself, why he thinks Rittenhouse will let him get away with it.

"Public Enemy" was probably the best episode of the season so far. It broke the mold, it gave us a couple of surprising twists, and it avoided covering most of the ground that DC's Legends of Tomorrow did back in December with "The Chicago Way." I could have lived without the Costner/Connery/DeNiro gag. Does no one remember Robert Stack? And is The Untouchables movie really the cultural phenomena that both shows make it out to be? The movie is 30 years old, for pete's sake. Yes, it’s a good movie, but I never thought it was the cultural-allusion-worthy media that requires this kind of referencing. In that key 18-27 demographic, are most such viewers going to even know what The Untouchables is?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
20 Comments
Comments (20)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 19, 2017
When I watch this show, I don't look too much at historical accuracy, simply because its not all that important in the grand scheme of things. It's more interesting to see how our crew gets to interacts with those who have left their footprint in history books.

Just look at the epidose with Harry Houdini, Josephine Baker and Ernest Hemingway, that was pure fun!

Let's face it, the writers are taking tons of liberties on this and you know what, they should!

The plot to take down Rittenhouse at some point will mutate. Will they join Flynn? How did Flynn get that damn notebook by the way? There is a long story arc at play for this show.

It will not be all that easy. And history keeps getting altered. Small changes so far, but it keeps happening.

This show is a surprised hit, I actually enjoy it and would really be sad if it doesn't have a few more seasons ahead of it.

2016-2017 has brought us a few good shows, Timeless being one of them. I've also been enjoying Lethal Weapon and MacGyver quite a bit. As far as sit-com goes, Man with a Plan is actually funny! :) Kevin can wait, not as much, but funny enough.. So, hey, it's all good!

Looking forward to the Will and Grace revival coming up this fall! NBC ordered 10 episodes.. It should be damn entertaining to see the crew again.
More+
Flag
Feb 18, 2017
I love this series. I really hope they renew it for a second season. It is a lot of fun.
Flag
Feb 16, 2017
After all the buzz surrounding the appearance of Misha Collins, I thought his bit part was a real anticlimax.
Flag
Feb 16, 2017
Yes, but I think that was deliberate. From both an actor and character viewpoint, the creative team seems to want a "nobody is safe" vibe at this point.
Flag
Feb 16, 2017
"the creative team seems to want a "nobody is safe" vibe at this point."

Can't say I'm picking that up really, so what makes you think this?
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
This episode had two red herrings at least. First, that sinister soldier time that went along with Rufus and Lucy. "He's gonna be trouble," I though. And then... no, he's out of the picture.

And then there's Elliot Ness. Great. Let's see what he's up to. I'm sure the writers have lots of good stuff ins tore for the character, otherwise, why cast Misha Collins? And then... He's dead.

By the way, all the time I expected to hear Elliot Ness reply something in Castiel's low, gruff voice. And perhaps attack his killer with an angel blade. It'll take a while for Collins to dissociate himself from the Castiel image.
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
This was one episode where they got the real history completely wrong. Eliot Ness and the Untouchables are a hollywood fabrication based on a disgruntled Ness who told a reporter his very biased version of the truth. The true heroes were the lawyers who persued the tax evasion court case. In truth Ness was never more than a side character in history.
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
In fact, by this point, one wonders how they end up in a time period and "know" that Flynn is screwing with time, rather than what they're seeing is a result of an early temporal alteration.

They didn't arrive in 1931 and say, "Hey, maybe Al got off on tax evasion because Lucy failed to dot an "i" during the Alamo a few weeks ago." Or "Hey, Al dodged the tax evasion charges because Jesse James lived a couple of days longer than he did in the original timeline before Flynn saved his life."

That was how Amy got wiped from existence, wasn't it? The Hindenberg blew up a day later and Amy disappeared. Butterfly effect in action (Ray Bradbury, not Ashton Kutcher).

Since the characters presumably remember the original timeline, they'd have no way of knowing. So unless Lucy is researching every possible change that occurred as a result of their earlier missions, it would seem impossible.
Flag
Feb 21, 2017
Mathematics dictate to save as many people as possible during time travel. Every show, movie or book wants to paint a different picture, but it is what it is. *sigh* Writers were never good at math, it seems.
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
Indeed. I was thinking that so many people get killed in the past,(people that shouldn't have died) that I don't see how history would NOT be changed all the time. In fact, I'm sure it IS changed, except that they don't know the people affected. Each time a henchman or an innocent victim gets killed, it's things that were not done when they should, people who were not born when they should, and lots and lots of sisters that were never born when they should have.
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
For that matter, how does Flynn know that what he's doing won't eliminate himself from the timestream?

What if keeping Jesse James alive two more days, or keeping Al out of prison, meant that Marie never had Flynn as a son?

I wouldn't mind it so much, except the producers deliberately set out to establish that screwing around with time is bad news by having Amy wiped out by a seemingly unrelated incident earlier in the timestream.

it's also why time travel shows give me nosebleeds. ;)
Flag
Feb 16, 2017
Not just that, but how the heck is it that none of their moves changes anything significant with Rittenhouse in the first place?

You would think an organization that exists all this time would be the MOST vulnerable to time changes than anyone.
Flag
Feb 15, 2017
But perhaps the team's alterations to history prior to this episode changed that and made Ness more important. :)
Flag
Feb 18, 2017
It is definitely the reason for the change in this historical data. They couldn't keep going through history and it being exactly how it we know it. Especially with the amount of meddling Flynn has been doing not to mention Rittenhouse. I reckon they did well.
Flag
Feb 14, 2017
I haven't seen a trailer, but I'm assuming that next week will be the Rittenhouse meeting in 1954.

So, I'm hoping that we might actually find out what Rittenhouse is all about. At the moment, it's quite confusing to know exactly who I'm supposed to be rooting for.
Flynn's supposed to be "bad", but could be on the "good" side.
Our team are supposed to be "good", but are working for "bad" side.

I don't necessarily buy the idea that how the world is, is completely perfect and any changes people want to make to the past will make things worse.

So, go Rittenhouse!
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members