*First off, please remember to click the HEART and let the staff know if you have enjoyed this series of discussion stories. It helps bring attention to the topic and is a nice "atta-boy" to the writer!

I had some criteria in mind when I started this Summer Marathon series. All the shows I have suggested (Warehouse 13, Sleepy Hollow, 24) have one particular element in common, other than being awesome:

They are best served binge style.

Some shows have a knack for the cold open (the brief, illuminating start of a show before the opening credit sequence) and the cliffhanging ending. One show did them both to perfection.

From the first few minutes before the logo floated into view, to the last scene before the “poom” smash cut…

L O S T grabbed you and didn’t let go. Just like 24, the time in between each episode could be torturous. The joy I had rewatching the show, binging it and absorbing the serial nature of the show back to back was unparalleled. But honestly, on first airing, the time between episodes was also crucial to the success of the show. Back in 2004 when the pilot aired, the internet was really taking off into the realm of interactivity with television and movies. It is the reason I used the word "Experience" in my title.

Because L O S T was so good at creating mysteries, chat rooms just exploded with theories about what we were seeing every week and what we would see next. And more importantly – what it all meant. Some believed L O S T was just a metaphysical event; the plane crashed and everyone died and the island was just purgatory or something similar. Some believed the group traveled in time. Alternate dimensions, dreamstate, and just face value of people castaway on an island were also theories.

Now, while I want to sell you on giving L O S T a chance if you have never watched it or didn’t stick with it, I am going to make @Mirelapilipo really proud and avoid spoilers beyond the premise of the show. But I need you to know this, because the predominate reason I heard for people not watching the series was that they didn’t think what was happening on the island was real, for whatever reason. Everything that happens on the island…happens! While LO S T delves into the mystical and spiritual, science fiction and real physics, monsters (in many forms) and survival, good and evil – it always remained grounded in the reality of real events. What I am saying is, do not hesitate to invest yourself into the events on the island, because all of it is does happen.

So, on to the premise of the show. L O S T was conceived based upon the success of the reality show, Survivor. The 1st season of the show focuses on the survivors of a plane crash on an isolated island paradise. The rub is, this island is not all that it seems. Invisible monsters, unexplainable inhabitants, and unlikely events shroud the island in mystery. It is initially a story of survival. But what makes it all work is the most amazing ensemble cast that is each given individual moments in an overarching narrative about “living together or dying alone”. What L O S T does to perfection is a unique strategy of storytelling. The first couple seasons relied on “Flashbacks” to tell the backstory of characters, drawing a parallel between events in their past and what was currently happening to them on the island. Each week, a different castaway would get a “centric” episode (in Lostese – when the story that week was, say, about Locke, it was “Locke-centric”).

L O S T ran for six amazing seasons, but the timeline of the story was much less than 6 years. Over that time, it went from just a story of survival to a greater mystery with more elements than I could possibly list. Not to mention listing them would ruin the surprise. All I will say is that beyond the first season, there is massive serial storytelling that will have you borderline obsessed with answering all the questions. And let me debunk a popular internet opinion – the puzzle pieces are all there to answer every question L O S T asks. But it takes active watching and brain power.

The only mysteries not answered are the ones the showrunners chose to leave up to the viewer’s imagination. This opinion is the one held by every L O S T fan who paid attention and rewatched the show. I will provide testimony at the end of this if you won’t take my word for it.

I put together a clip of the opening moments of L O S T. If you aren’t impressed with the first 7 minutes of this series, than I assume I am going to lose my argument with you.

JJ Abrams was involved in every part of the 2-hour pilot, but turned the show over to Carton Cuse and Damon Lindelof (affectionately referred to as “Darlton”) from there on out. These two were absolutely amazing, doing private little podcasts every week and stoking the fire of mystery - although not giving us many answers. I suggest you jump on YouTube and try to immerse yourself in the whole experience as you watch.

There were some spoilers that leaked out from time to time, but as is the nature of anything Bad Robot, secrecy was paramount. Continual speculation was, for me, the most enjoyable part of the experience of L O S T. And it was just that – a captivating, six year experience. I grew so close to people during its run, people I still talk to almost daily. I want to just share with you the words of people I consider bigger experts of L O S T than myself. I hope their words convince you.

Paul Burrows:
“Back when L O S T was airing live I would hang out a lot at Ain’t It Cool and at the Lost blog that I ran (Room 23) and it was funny how excited people were speculating over what the whispers were and who the Others were and many other questions that were raised, it was a fun atmosphere to make new friendships (that’s where I met the knucklehead writing this article. LOL). Eventually people started complaining, people would complain that they weren’t getting answers and then they did get answers they would then complain about that also. I remember trying to respond to some of their concerns only to get verbally dogpiled on; I actually grew a tough on-line skin from the whole experience which has helped me a lot. Funny thing though every summer since I started watching Lost I have rewatched the DVDs, (I still have a Lost, Fringe & Once Upon A Time rewatch every summer) and the answers are there for the most part or I should say that the puzzle pieces are there to construct all of the answers. If you watch the show again there’s enough information scattered about between the show itself and the DVD extras (even more if you can hunt down the old podcasts) that one can connect the dots for a fairly complete picture. There are still a few open mysteries like Walt, but what I love about Lost is that Darlton didn’t just spoon-feed us like babies, but there were many levels to the show. One could casually watch and get the basic character driven story or you could dig deep and get an even richer experience. The answers ARE there if you look hard enough. My favorite aspect of Lost was the friendships and experiences that I had when Lost wasn’t on. As I mentioned before I made friendships that I have to this day on-line, I was able to start and run Room 23 blog and out of that I designed most of the characters and created a line of Lost and Fringe trading cards which I sold in my store. Lost has and always will have a special place in my heart and I treasure all that came out of it. Thank you Carlton Cuse and Damion Lindelof and all that had a part in creating the experience!”

And our own @MirelaPilipo:
“WOW! So you're going to open up that can of worms are you? I admire your bravery good sir.

After LOST I look at television as pre-Lost and post-Lost and so do many others. Some are a very loud minority who absolutely hated the ending and some are people who know that LOST was an absolute masterpiece from start to finish. I'm obviously in the latter group. I've said this many times before but before LOST - I watched television but once LOST came along, I started to live and breathe it! The show challenged the viewer to switch on both heart and mind to full-power. It stimulated our intelligence in the best way possible while also making sure that we were always emotionally invested. The show knew how to tug at your heart strings (no show made me cry like LOST did) while also encouraging you to think like no other. Especially when it comes to pondering some of life's most interesting questions. This show is a study of the human spirit and what it really means to exist. For those of you who have heard things like "but they didn't answer all of the questions" or "the ending ruined 6 years’ worth of development" - I urge you to forget both of these statements, as neither is true. LOST answers all of its important questions and every viewer who paid attention will tell you that. However, the show doesn't like to insult your intelligence or hold your hand too much because its themes are broad enough for each individual to also have their own take or interpretation on the more philosophical themes. And it does this without being frustratingly ambiguous. It is not a hard show to watch, especially if you're binging your way through it but it's not a show for dummies either. As far as the ending goes, those of you who haven't seen it need to know that a big reason why there was so much controversy surrounding it was because that loud, angry minority simply did not get it. It is an ending that requires more than 10 seconds of brain usage but it's not an ending that takes away any of the 6 seasons worth of story, if anything it only adds more food for though and beauty to it. So, I assure you newbies that if you have half a brain YOU WILL get it!

If you like TV shows that really stimulate the brain (and the tear ducts) on a regular basis -serving up a diverse variety of delightful characters, adrenaline-fuelled plot, with just the right amount of comedy, drama, mystery and a sprinkling of sci-fi - you will love LOST. It is the first show that I recommend to everyone and a treat that I think every human being should experience. And it is an absolute delight for marathon viewing."

- Edshrinker
105 Comments
Comments (105)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I did have the best online friendship begin with watching LOST, and it did have an amazing effect of challenging my intellect to its fullest. I spent so much time with reference books and at Lostpedia, that it was a virtual home to me. My friends at TV Guide .com where brothers and sisters. And yes, even the hate was there too. And I will not have any of it change or any discussion I had lessen; television became after that the home to serious chats in other shows. Having said that, I don't think it would have been that full and exalting experience if Twin Peaks had not shown the Path. I stand by that.
Flag
I think Darlton always gave a tip of the hat to Twin Peeks in what they were trying to create.

My main forum was Aint It Cool News - where we had a "Talkback" after the season 3 finale "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!" all through the summer into the next season. Over 20k comments and the thing took so long to load we were barely able to communicate.

I have never been a part of TV like that before or after.
Flag
One of my favorite shows of all time. I'm presently re-watching and am up to Season 5. Still have two posters on my walls. Next up, re-watch Fringe.
Flag
One of the folks I quoted, @Paulburrows does a rewatch every summer. He is like an encyclodedia for that show. Room 23 - the LOST website I helped him with ...just amazing fun. I remember him calling me from the Comic Con panel to update the site with goodies. I miss that kind of passion.

Sleepy Hollow and Hannibal have me close right now though.
Flag
I will have to do a rewatch one day. The only thing that still bugs me (besides the super unnecessary SmokeLocke mythology arc) is the Cabin - who, when, why. But I guess there are at least some kind of answers scattered around the episodes.
Flag
There are. Or there is one that is given finally. I won't spoil it for when you rewatch. But pay attention when Hurley and Ben (the comic relief they were!) are looking for the cabin and it keeps moving. The circle of ash. The fact Christian shows up there.

I will agree - when the eye showed up in the door - I know that wasn't the Jacob we end up seeing. Which makes sense because the actor wasn't cast yet. The thing is - was that supposed to be Jacob?

If you are looking for some answers right now - I always suggest Lostpedia.

Cabin Theories
Flag
One of my favorite series of all time.
Flag
DadofGoku - there are strong emotions on both sides aren't there. I cannot believe how passionate the lovers and haters are still. Especially the haters.
Flag
Agreed! I like it as much as The Walking Dead. Both series have their haters, but eh, just gotta ignore them.
Flag
They just had a huge story on io9 about cliffhangers written without a resolution in mind. L O S T was all over it. I disagree with that except for season 1 ...they admitted as much since they had no idea it was going to be such a huge hit.
Flag
Unfortunately, nothing could ever get me to watch LOST again. I loved it when it was first on and got involved in a lot of discussions/chat rooms. But the answers that came didn't satisfy the questions I had and to this day I can't even think of this show without getting myself into a minor rage.

Good article though :)
Flag
You are far from being alone. I came to like the answers a lot more after rewatching it. All of it came to much too fast when it aired. I have a greater appreciation now as to how they set it all up back in Season 3. After my first watching I kinda just said "wut?" It took a while.
Flag
Also, if you don't want all the deep thinking and analysis, quite simply put:

Lost is is well done and very entertaining TV.

That alone should be enough for anyone to watch it. Everything else is basically a bonus for us geek-ier fans to talk and obsess about.
Flag
Who you callin geek, Geek. King of Geeks.
Flag

yes, yes, I admit it, I am one, too.
Flag
Badge of honor to have Geek Cred
Flag
And thank dog for it
Flag
Now adays, yes. :)
Flag
Thanks again Ed. Great post. For me Lost came per DVD as it wasn't aired over here for some time. After season 4 I started to download it so I could watch it almost real time. In the end it was aired over here and it became so popular the network decided to air it only three days after it had been aired in the US. Too late for me of course. But that never has been done by any other network with any other show yet (next to cable companies with their own subscription channels over here like HBO).

I know and remember a lot of it, probably also because elements of it are always used as examples in other posts.
Flag
Yes Rolamb,
It was a very similar situation here in Australia. I had to catch up on S1-3 on DVDs though because of work.

However, the network aired it from the get-go but it was at least a week behind the U.S. Except for the finale, which they aired one day after along with the two hour special.
Flag
Life before instant downloading too. When did that start in earnest on places like The Pirate Bay...Season 3? And with you a spoiler Nazi, Mirela - that had to be ROUGH!
Flag
Yeah and the worst thing was, some of my friends would get the episodes before me (I couldn't download at the time). So I basically isolated myself from anyone until I watched the episode, just in case they blurt out a spoiler.

My sister is just like you Ed, she LOVES spoilers. So she was always making it difficult for me. She thought I was a total psycho because I would FREAK OUT if she mentioned even the smallest detail about an episode I hadn't seen yet. Sometimes she'd watch them with me (after having seen them herself) and I seriously just felt like putting duct tape across her mouth. LOL
Flag
@edshrinker LOL Oh I know! I'm the worst. I seriously don't think I could watch a show with you. I'd probably just knock you out if you started blabbing spoilers. Or you'd knock me out for constantly shooshing you.
Flag
You would absolutely kill me.
Flag
YOu are expressing the same theme - where L O S T defined television during its run. And after.
Flag
This post is just beautiful. So many of your(all three accounts) feelings about this show mirror my own. I'm still not over how brilliant it was. Going to do my first LOST re-watch this Summer, held back until now because I didn't feel I was emotionally stable as yet. But it is time :)
Flag
Oh I'm actually jealous now! I re-watch it on such a regular (obsessive) basis that I often wish for LOST-amnesia. To erase the show from my memory just so I could experience all those intense emotions for the first time again. But I do still get a lot of joy out of every re watch (I often have episodes on as background noise too) even though I could probably recite most of the dialogue of by heart. LOL

Thank you for your lovely comment. It's just wonderful to know there are still so many of us out there who love the show so passionately. Enjoy your re-watch. I'm sure it'll be a delight! :-)
Flag
Nothing has ever come close to the goose bumps at the end of L O S T when the tables are turned and the logo "pooms" onto the screen. And knowing you have to wait a week or more for answers.
Flag
Tell me about it! That's why if you can binge-watch for your first viewing, it's so much more enjoyable. But I did enjoy the anticipation too sometimes. But the breaks between seasons drove me nuts!
Flag
I remember Lindelof talking about the board they had with all the threads and how each worked together and where each was going ...and how I would chop off my right arm to get one look at it while the show was on.
Flag
Yep, 6 weeks of anticipation, anxiety and torture. The TV fans version of HELL basically. The Fringe breaks gave me grey hairs too!

But LOST? I seriously have to applaud the writers for being able to pull of a cliffhanger or a WOW moment nearly every episode (let's just pretend Stranger in a Strange Land was a Once Upon a Time episode because it was the worst).
No really. Those cold opens at the start of every season that would make millions of brains explode?!? Those alone are a humongous achievement. Let alone the endless entertainment and intrigue in every episode!
Can you imagine writing 24 hours of television (what like, every six months?) and having to not only worry about continuity and plot but also find a way to sneak in a bombshell and a cliffhanger without going into bad TV territory?? How are Darlton and the other writers not in a mental institution after that pressure??

Seriously people don't realise how hard it is to write and create good TV. It's freaking hard. That's why there's so much bad TV out there! Also why most writers opt to pitch procedurals and why networks feel safer investing in procedurals. Serialised television is difficult. Let alone serialised genre (sci-fi, supernatural, mystery or horror) television.
That's why we're seeing more and more shows with shortened seasons. Or shows that opt for the "anthology" format, like American Horror Story. Also look at how many remakes or book adaptations are keep popping up. Because they are easier to make as they already have a foundation, the material and a timeline they can follow. There's a reason why Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead are so successful. And it's most certainly not because the showrunners have excellent imaginations. They are working off of good source material.

A lot of shows can only retain quality for the first 22 hours or first few seasons at best. How many shows (especially genre) have started out great and then just slowly (or rapidly) declined or completely shat all over their own mythology? Once Upon a Time andThe Vampire Diaries are also adaptations but their decline in quality has been shocking.
I mean it even happens to the best dramas whose writers don't even have to worry about mythology or cliffhangers. Look at what's happened to Homeland for example? Or Dexter?

So that's why I really have to give the LOST showrunners credit because the show wasn't a remake or book adaptation. Plus the show became such a ratings phenomenon so quickly and there was the expectation to deliver excellence. And even under all of the hype and pressure they managed to stay true to the story and themselves. They were making the show that they themselves would want to watch and they really put in the effort to please the fans and consistently deliver excellence.

Seriously, credit where credits due. LOST may have been a hype monster but it deserved all of that hype and then some.
More +
Flag
Or those damnedable 6 week breaks before they started just airing it in January straight through
Flag
If you mix in the podcasts and some of the online stuff - it is really fun and brings so many memories. Don't jam them all back to back - take time to remember all that was going on once and a while. I even look at old AICN chatroom stuff when i rewatch.
Flag
Obligatory.

Flag
This is totally a light-hearted college humour spoof. I mean listen to some of those questions! They are ridiculous! (But it is pretty funny though.)

First of all: I mean Nikki and Paulo? WTF? They're names were Nina and Pablo!
Nina and Pablo were NOT main actors on Exposé. Pablo wasn't even an actor let alone an actor on Exposé! And Nina was just a guest star and we all know what happens to guest stars right? Or is that one of the Islands mysteries too??

Actually, there is ONE important unanswered question that's been driving me (and I'm sure everyone else) completely nuts since the show ended. And they didn't even ask it in that video: Why didn't the writers of Exposé have Nikki wear bullet proof breasts?? Seriously Why oh WHY?

And on that note,
- Why does TV.com change colours based on which device I'm using? And how does it know which device I'm using?
- Where does Tim Surette get his T-shirts from? Where did he take that profile pic? And what's the deal with the polar bear behind him?
- Why is Price Petersons user name "priceiswrong"? And how/why is it connected to The Price is Right?
- Why did this article take exactly 108 seconds to load? And more importantly, how come only 3 people wrote it? THREE? That's not even one of the LOST numbers!
I DONT GET IT! &:(

[Seriously though, I could actually answer each one of the questions in that video!]
More +
Flag
I had a feeling you could.

But I want answers to YOUR questions! SPOON - FEED ME!!!!
Flag
See, I can't because I didn't have an end plan and I just made it up as I went. ;-)
Flag
Typical L O S T
Flag
It's funny because I can answer a bunch of those questions. Although 75% of them are irrelevant. It is damn funny though.
Flag
That was the problem however. The show presented itself as a mystery to be solved, with threads being thrown at the audience week to week with either no plan to reconcile them, or a fundamental shift in plan which resulted in the same disconnected mess. It's the structural equivalent of Chekhov's gun. Do not present your series as a mystery if you have no intent to present the answer.

In the back half of the series, it felt very similar to the issues that the X-Files ran into with their mythology. The trappings of the mystery overshadowed the brilliant moments, making the whole experience less than it could have been. Seasons 1 & 2 were spectacular television, but very quickly the story unraveled under its own weight. They threw more and more mystery into the mix to maintain interest, and more importantly sponsor support, until all that could possibly bring the story to a close was a literal Deus ex Machina.

That may have been forgivable if not for Cuse and Lindelof going on Jimmy Kimmel immediately after the finale aired to make jokes about how they didn't know how to end Lost. After the long con that was the Lost series, this was the final subversive thumb in the eye, lampshading their failure and doing it with a wink and a grin. People can say that the series was about the journey, that it was a character study and the island was just a setting, but those are all thin justifications to offer for expending time and goodwill on a series that squandered it. It would have been impossible to present a conclusion that everyone would have found satisfactory; I recognize and accept this fact, but I would have been more satisfied with a partially disappointing ending than a pandering, Shyamalan-esque twist.

In short, Lost is dead to me.
More +
Flag
"In short, Lost is dead to me."

Are you sure it's dead-dead? Maybe it's purgatory to you? ;P J/K
Flag
Heh. Touche.
Flag
Dontcha know? The show was dead the whole time.
Flag
"The show presented itself as a mystery to be solved, with threads being thrown at the audience week to week with either no plan to reconcile them, or a fundamental shift in plan which resulted in the same disconnected mess."
NOT true.

And seriously? Of all the things you are putting weight on what was said on the Jimmy Kimmel special Aloha to Lost? Come on! It's called comedy.
Flag
Making light of the situation immediately after the series finale (which was right up there with the space magic at the end of V: The Final Battle in terms of egregiousness) was in poor taste.

You call it comedy. I say it was missing a key ingredient.
Flag
I couldn't disagree more - but that's what makes the world go round.

There were answers for the most irrelevant of questions too - but you had to be paying attention and honestly, without going back and taking some notes, I can't answer them off hand. I know Linelof did a sit down and explained some of the smaller mysteries and where in the series to find the answer. Most including my self missed them on 1 st viewing. It was a mystery of the highest level and if you needed the answers you had to work for them.

As for the ending ...I loved it. It wasn't a twist in my mind, I knew exactly what was happening. His final convo with Christian was a cool scene but I followed the breadcrumbs and fully understood what the "Flash-Sideways" represented. Fantastic finale.
Flag
Since I resurrected an old thread, I guess I owe you a better answer than that. I had hope that they could salvage it right up until the last ten minutes of the show. I followed the entire series with interest, which was gradually replaced by concern after season 3 (4 got my hopes up there for a moment, but it was quickly dashed). The water cooler talk became more and more despondent as irrelevant macguffins were introduced weekly and abandoned just as quickly. If it were an episodic show like Fantasy Island, you could gloss over the issues week to week, but Lost didn't have internal logic or consistency even within it's own mythology. It overshadowed the very real talents of the cast. Even their biggest proponent Terry O'Quinn, who had espoused such faith in the show runner's plans for Locke early in the series, was later to admit that by the end emotionally he had "one foot out the door". I wouldn't feel so strongly about it if I didn't like it so much initially before it completely unraveled. I honestly feel foolish for investing so much in the series over the years, especially after their swan song on Jimmy Kimmel.

Honestly, my theory was that Cuse/Lindelof were more concerned with keeping the ending a secret than they were with telling a proper story. There were so many theories out there, and at some point someone got one right. After that, they just went off the rails. If they'd just stuck to their original vision despite, who knows how it would have turned out. Its just a theory with no basis in fact, but I have an easier time believing that than looking at how things turned out and accepting that this was the best that they could do.
More +
Flag
It was not a lack of understanding that irritated me. It was the squandered goodwill and missed potential.
Flag
Oops. That's YT (YOuTube)
Flag
Speaking of which... have you ever watched the Masterclass on TY with MAtt Fox and Darlton?
Flag
"It was a mystery of the highest level and if you needed the answers you had to work for them."

I agree 100%. It's called entertainment and storytelling. Of which LOST was a masterclass!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
For me it was funny how television (and society?) works, for this show to come to "completion". Tried watching it from the beginning (back in the day) and then some episodes here-and-there - and never could find any interest in it, meh.
Flag
Reply to your comment below:
Fair enough. It wasn't your thing. I'd like to say I understand but I really don't. I love mysteries and shows with dense, rich mythology even if it's sometimes a little far fetched or kooky. If the show can get me to invest emotionally, I'm down for the ride. For example Twin Peaks or Fringe. (I assume you didn't like those either?)
But the show has to well written of course. Which LOST was. However shows like Once Upon a Time or Under The Dome - those I find too ridiculous to be able to emotionally invest in or enjoy. I've seen every episode of both shows and I just can't appreciate the mythology because it's a hot mess without rhyme, reason or continuity.
But each to their own I suppose. Thanks for explaining. :-)
Flag
Well that's why you couldn't find any interest in it. :-) LOST is not a show you can watch here and there. It was not designed to be the casual viewers show.
Flag
Sure, ofc., makes sense; however: I'll attempt to answer below..:)
Flag
And the reason for all the procedural dren out there (sorry - you'll have to continue the serialized Farscape to understand that swear word).
Flag
FAir enough. But to be fair - this was serial television. YOu can't skip ANY episodes and expect to have the ah-ha moments and joy of discovery when you don't absorb the whole backstory.
Flag
What I meant (& sorz 4 not going back, now, to view it and come up w/actual example(s)) is: while watching the episodes (chronologically), there would (often?!) be some utter ridiculousness regarding the plot and whatnot - that was (very) hard to overlook & continue-on with the show. It just bothered me too much, to go on w/it. :-(

.. My best friend(s) were HOOKED on the show and thought it a gift-from-god, but for me it was just too silly (at times AND in general :))

@ MirelaPilipo
Flag
Exactly. It's called serialised for a reason. Name me one serialised show that you can watch here and there? Doesn't exist. Not even on The CW!
Flag
I never had any trouble watching Lost. I understood and caught everything the first time through. The problem is that people don't pay attention enough or have terrible memories.

Also, if anyone thinks that they didn't answer the questions at the end, or didn't have an overall plan for the show, I will personally punch them in the face.
Flag
SO TRUE!
*high five*
Flag
"But it takes active watching and brain power."

We are probably making it sound too serious or like some hard task that requires an exceptional IQ or a PhD in philosophy (LOL although some people here have proven that that means squat when it comes to possessing a functioning brain).

It is most certainly not a hard show to watch and it's a show that is globally relatable. Once you get into it, which when it comes to LOST is almost instantaneous, it is fairly easy to grasp the plot and the structure of the shows storytelling. For anyone familiar with serialised television, it's pretty straight-forward stuff.

While the show is very intelligent, it's also highly engaging and endlessly entertaining. It's next-level stuff but it's nothing to fear as "that sounds too intense or complex for me". No, no. More then anything, this show will ENTERTAIN you, in every sense of the word. So don't be shy and give it a try. ;-)

And honestly on a binge watch, you'd have to be a special Unicomoron not to get it.

Flag
That's true. But as you know, I have trouble focusing on one thing at a time. My rewatches were what gave me my "ah=-ha" moments because I missed a few things early on. If it weren't for the Aint It Cool News "Talkbacks" I would have been pretty clueless.

I learned I had to pay attention and then think about the past info to see the answers. we were not spoon fed.
Flag
Oh absolutely. I agree that LOST is a show that requires the viewers full and undivided attention. And most people who like the show will probably find themselves wanting to re-watch it.

And you're right, we were not spoon fed and I love LOST only more because of this. No character felt like an exposition machine or a plot coupon. The writers ensured to never make those things on-the-nose obvious. Always using the "show don't tell" approach. I really appreciate shows that attempt to do that and I wish there were more who did it successfully.

P.S. Plus for those like you who needed refreshers, ABC did the "LOST Starter Kit" before each season. Remember those?

They were also doing one-hour specials between breaks to bring the viewers up to speed in more detail. They were usually narrated by some cool actors. I remember Kyle Maclachlan (Twin Peaks' Agent Cooper) did one after a break in the first season. Later, LOSTs own Michael Emerson (Person of Interest) became a regular narrator.
Flag
Exactly what I mean by "Experience" L O S T. There was so much added on - like the Oceanic Airlines faux website and such. The old Darlton podcasts - I can't find them anywhere - but remember when they would sit down and chat with us? There was one where they named the Dharma shark (Ezra J Sharkington)
Flag
Oh man! Those podcasts. I remember, when the show finished, one of my "life wishes" was to have an opportunity to spend a day with Darlton just talking about the show. Still to this day, I think of it as a dream opportunity. What a treat that would be!

Those two have fascinating imaginations and they're just such cool dudes. I still re watch some of the old interviews, ComicCons and PayleyFests. #goodtimes
Flag
There was also "LOST in 8.15".
Flag
Great article Ed. Why isn't it on the homepage @TV.com_editorial??

Yes, one thing I forgot to mention (thanks for bringing it up Ed) is that everything that happens on the Island is 100% real. As in it happened for real, on an island on planet earth, to all of the characters introduced in the show.
Flag
I PM'd @TVcom_Editorial yesterday afternoon. They haven't responded nor have they done any promoting in nearly 24 hours. I know they are shortstaffed
Flag
Yeah, that's understandable. Plus they kind of rotate as there are a lot more user articles popping up.

You know, we really have to thank people like you, @Rolamb, @Grumpyclown and others who continue to post articles and make TV.com feel like a proper internet community. In fact, I am finding Facebook more useless since I've discovered all the functions of TV.com and that's thanks to users like you. To me, this place is becoming a smarter and more useful social network then Twitter or Facebook. Plus it's my go-to source for everything TV related.

So thank you. :-)
You guys have done such a great job not just by posting entertaining and engaging articles but also in encouraging others to post stuff themselves.
Flag
It is a fun outlet for creativity. The only functions I wish we had would be a real time chat feature and alerts when people you follow and shows you follow have new articles posted.

And I know you are immensely creative, Mirel. Still waiting for you to give us something Fringe-y ;-p
Flag
I remember that being a big issue of contention and a huge online arguement. I can see why ppl were making the argument - but they were doing so even when Darlton assured them everything was happening for reals
Flag
Yeah that whole ending debacle with people who didn't get it rushing online and FREAKING OUT. Ouch!

I think that's what hurt the shows reputation more then any other controversy regarding "unanswered mysteries". People who were confused about the ending didn't think to ask: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN?? Instead they went into full-attack troll mode and started bashing the show.

Which is ultimately very sad and so unfair for those of us who used our brain and took the time to absorb the info or to at least get informed before jumping the gun. Seriously, what is so wrong with admitting: "I didn't get it. Can someone please explain?" or re-watching that second last scene until it sinks in? I'm never embarrassed to admit that I'm lost (zing!) when it comes to a show, movie or book. Sometimes that is the whole point - the analysis.

Thats exactly why whenever I recommend the show to someone, the first thing they say is: "But I heard the ending was terrible!" And I say, forget everything you've heard and just watch it and here's my number if you have any questions. LOL
Flag
Yup. If you don't get the concept behind the "Flash Sideways" - you will believe the whole 6thseason didn't happen. Which is 100% wrong.
Flag
LOL - special snowflakes
Flag
I know! It was those damn wreckage shots as the credits rolled!
Seriously though, it wasn't a hard concept and those who didn't get should've just chilled their socks and asked WTF just happened? Please explain.

However there are special snowflakes out there who just refuse to listen to rhyme or reason. They've got their minds made up about what happened and even though the people who wrote the damn show said NO THATS NOT TRUE they still won't listen.
Flag
WHat amazes me is there were people dedicated for 5 years and then just stopped using their heads in season 6. It wasn't that hard of a concept.
Flag
Exactly. That is the number #1 reason why the ending was controversial. People didn't get it.
Flag
Thanks for these articles @edshrinker, I've been really enjoying them.

Although I only ever watched Lost while it was on television, without question I would put in as one of my favourite shows of all time. For me, the greatest thing to come out of the series was that it made serialised television mainstream, for which I will be eternally grateful since this is my favourite kind of storytelling on the small screen. @MirelaPilipo makes an excellent point, Lost is one of those very few landmark series with which you can clearly see how the television landscape changed from before it started airing, to after it ended.

While I have the complete series boxset, I've yet to re-watch it, unfortunately there's just too much television, old and new, that I haven't watched yet and want to devote some time to. I've no doubt I will revisit this series at some point though, and it's a must watch for anyone who considers themselves a television fan, particularly genre television.
Flag
And when I watched L O S T - with the way they told the story, I just remember I had never seen anything like it.
Flag
I still haven't seen anything like it and watch unhealthy amounts of television! But yeah, LOST is LOST and I still re-watch it on a regular basis.
Flag
Never unhealthy to partake in the loves of life - as long as it doesn't interfere with living!
Flag
I honestly think it's the one TV show that everyone should have on their bucket list.
Flag
I wonder if they are releasing anything for the 10 year anniversary?
Flag
That would be ah-mazing! I hope so. Although the whole series Boxset is awesome and would be hard to beat. I also love the Dharma themed season 5 one. Another thing that they did really well - those boxsets! Special features galore & the memorabilia? They really gave you your money's worth.
Flag
Always a money grab. FRINGE deserves better.
Flag
@edshrinker I know what you mean. Same with Fringe. The whole series boxset is terrible.
Flag
And that is SUPER rare. To get what you pay for. The STID blu-ray is still pissing me off - you have to buy 2 versions to get ALL the extras.
Flag
You both just hit it squarely on the head... there was something that just changed because of L O S T. I remember Flashforward desperately trying to capture it but failed. And when I watched L O S T - with th4 way they told the dtory, I just remember I had never seen anything like it.
Flag
Yeah networks have tried doing several LOST-eque shows, marketing them as "event television" etc. Unfortunately most have failed.
At least for me, there's been nothing like LOST since.
Fringe was fantastic but it was a cult hit with a more procedural structure and even when it went serialised nearly ever episode still had a "case of the week". However it's my 2nd favourite show of all time, after LOST.
Flag
YOu could debate the "Character-centric" stories every week were L O S T's version of a procedural. It was the exploration of each character that was the "case of the week". But they never left out what was happening with everyone else on the island at the same time. So you had your serial arc and your character story of the week all rolled into one.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members