We’re here to decide upon some of the most irritating parts of TV this year and reward them with a Blowie... that sounds wrong... let me reword that... Vicky8675309 had an idea, nominate the worst stuff on TV this year and give them a Blowie... still sounds wrong... give me a minute.
Ok. AS TV.com is doing the “Best” of 2013 awards, we decided to do a Worst of 2013 Awards – The Blowies!

Last weekend we gave you a list of categories for nominations and I had the delightful task of sifting through all of the nominations, tallying them and putting these polls together with the top 10 nominations for each category.

If all the nominations were listed it would have taken forever to produce the poll – or to vote on it! Also please note, members of TV.com chose the candidates in the categories and there is some cross over in genres.

There will be an “Other” option at the bottom of each category, so if your nomination didn’t make the top 10, click this option and leave a comment.

Polls will close this weekend

It’s a exclusive vote poll, so take your time, and think about your options and then vote. Enjoy:

poll

poll

Personally I was shocked at the lack of Mad Men nominations...

poll

poll

poll

I was surprised Hostages had more nomination than Cult...

poll

poll

poll

One of the categories with the most nominations, and unfortunately – like a couple of other categories – this meant a lot of candidates with only 1 nomination. Everyone in the top 10 received the most nominations.

poll

Not too many candidates were nominated – and couple of candidates received a lot of support.

poll

Revolution and Once Upon A Time had multiple different nominations, so in the hope of covering as many bases as possible, they were combined into “Various Flashbacks” for their shows.

poll

poll

The 2nd biggest category with the most nominations, which led to a huge amount of single nomination candidates. As before, all the top 10 had the most multiple nominations. This will probably lead to the most arguments, but this category had 46 candidates!

poll

Another one of the categories with the most nominations, which again led to several single nomination candidates. As before, all the top 10 had the most multiple nominations.

poll

A big category, but a few characters got a lot of nominations.

poll

poll

poll

poll

The biggest category with the most nominations, which led to a huge amount of single nomination candidates. As before, all the top 10 had the most multiple nominations. This will probably lead to the most arguments, but this category had 56 candidates!!!!
And most surprisingly – NO JOFFREY!!...I forgot him too. Traylaparc was the only member to nominate him.

poll

poll

poll

poll
poll

Another one of the categories with the most nominations, which again led to several single nomination candidates. Homeland had scenes (Dana and Leo + Carrie and Brody) that received the same amount of nominations, and in the hope of including as many nominations as possible they were combined as “Various”. The same applies to AHS, HIMYM and Betrayal. As before, all the top 10 had the most multiple nominations.

poll

poll

poll

The comedy guest star categories were hard for everyone, that’s why there is no top 10...

poll

poll

poll
poll

poll

No nominations for Joffrey here!

poll

There was a bit of a split with the Homeland plot twist which is why I included both in favour of combining them, while the OUAT twists received several individual nominations but no real favourite. I chose to combine the OUAT nominations in the hope of crowd appeasement.

poll

TVD has several couples nominated (6) but low nominations, so to make sure there was a wide variety of couples in the top 10 (this was another big category), I combined TVD couple into one group. Grouping them together only eliminated several single nomination candidates.

poll

poll

poll

poll

poll

Just to let you know, Rolamb has an article/discussion up (click here) about featured community posts.
If you are interested in more of the featured community posts then click here.

Enough of the plugs, back to the poll...

poll

poll

poll

And finally...

poll

IF (and this is a big if) there is a Blowies next year.....I really hope there are less categories... And that someone else takes care of it.

I'd like to thank @patsully for the cool image.

Also there may be an awards ceremony next weekend where the winners will recieive their awards
331 Comments
Comments (331)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jan 16, 2014
Well. that thought I had about giving "Under the Dome" a go was just flushed. THANK YOU TV.com reviewers for helping save my free time.
Flag
Jan 04, 2014
Also, I loved the Lady Gaga special. And some people are so harsh of some of these shows. Like Kelly Clarkson was hilarious of The Crazy Ones, I guess they didn't actually watch it, and just voted because they've heard it's a bad show. It's actually hilarious. People shouldn't be able to vote on anything they haven't actually seen!
Flag
Jan 04, 2014
I can't believe some of the things people voted for as the worse? Nothing from The Good Wife, or Doctor Who... or so many things should be on here...
Flag
Dec 25, 2013
I have had a lot of fun with the nominations and during voting. But now, I find that the actual results don't really mean that much to me.
Except, of course, for 'Worst season' and 'worst finale'. Dexter had to win those. Which it did, but 'season' was with a surprinsingly small margin.

Even though I didn't vote for too many winners, I find the results quite satisfying.

What I found most interesting about this whole thing, are the number of votes compared to the 'official' best of poll numbers.
Most categories have been won with a few hundred votes, topping out with 2176 for 'worst special', the category that recieved, by far, the most votes.
In most of the categories the vote numbers are spread between 60 and 400. It seems realistic that that represents the actual number of people who voted.

Compare that with the tens of thousands for the low-voting categories and over 11 million for My Little Pony, in the official poll.

TV.com's Best of 2013 is a complete joke.
Patsully and others can try to defend it all they want. It is still absolutely pointless. Which was, IIRC, the inspiration for the blowies.
More+
Flag
Dec 25, 2013
I wonder what would happen if they excluded all the shows that got millions of votes from the 2014 poll - would it be a bit more realistic or would it just be hijacked with different shows (I'm guessing the latter)
Flag
Dec 25, 2013
I doubt it would make any difference. I really don't think MLP has that many devoted fans. It is more likely an expression of their (those who used the vote bots) twisted sense of humour. If MLP, and the others, weren't on the polls, they would just find some other shows to flood.
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Masters of Sex opening title sequence is Great! It's perfect for the show! Why is even on this list?

Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Not too many nominations in that category, so it got through automatically
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
still, this should have been in the top 10 best opening sequences...
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Why Geofre from Game of thrones is not in ANY categories? Unless I missed that face of sunshine's name
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Puzzled me as well
Flag
Dec 21, 2013
He deserves a category by himself! Or better yet, this can become a thing.
TOP 10 MOST hated moments of (enter name).
Flag
Dec 21, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Why is everyone hating on Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy?
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Cause her character Laurel Lance is an asshole in season 2, when she used to be one of the most likable characters on Arrow! Personally I really like Katie Cassidy cause she's been in so many horror films; of which I am a fan!
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
less categories and less choices in each
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
Thinking of dropping all the guest star categories for next time
Flag
Dec 18, 2013

Oh yeah, and Susan Sarandon deserves to be nominated for embarrassing herself as a guest star on Mike and Molly also. Yikes!
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
I'm just sad I couldn't vote for something related to Under the Dome in every category.
The only good to come out of it were some of Tim's more acerbic reviews.
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
Very surprised to see Continuum in the worst Sci-fi/Fantasy category. It's a really good show.
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. I mean, it doesn't have to be your favorite thing, but I can't imagine anyone who's actually seen it nominating it for "worst"!
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
I watched the pilot and couldn't get into it, did it get better?
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
Oh yeah, now I understand. I didn't dig the pilot either. I though it was some silly sci-fi with bad action and cheap VFX. After it aired, I binge-watched the entire first season. After that there was no going back for me as S2 gets even better.

So the answer to your question is YES, it gets much better. It's actually one of the few sci-fi shows currently on TV that doesn't like to insult the viewers intelligence. The writing is great, the characters, the plot it's all really well planned from the start and it shows. I don't want to say too many things about it because I know if I go into a show after being pressured by others I tend to want to dislike it - lol - don't know if it's because my expectations are too high or if it's just out of spite. LOL i
Look, give it a PROPER chance and if you still don't like it - fair enough. Be warned though, this show asks the viewer to turn on their brain. The action and the special effects get better with every episode.
Still not convinced? Check out this awesome VFX reel from Season 2. But ultimately, it's the story that'll draw you in.
More +
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
I didn't nominate it, it didn't register for me (the pilot), but I had seen worse things. I might give it a look and hopefully it improved like you say
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Yeah, it definitely doesn't belong in this poll but fair enough if someone nominated it, I guess you had to include it. Well done btw, this must've been a lot of work. Let me know what you think of Continuum if you do get around to catching up on the show.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Yeay for Under the Dome sweeping all categories! :)
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
the whole thing lost its integrity for me when you dissed Mad Men...!

NOW; am i glad that i decided not to continue reading and scroll down to comment section to say why? or am i so very sorry that i decided to scroll down to comment section?

seriously? are you sure you covered all the categories?????
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
try to develop tolerance for other people's opinions even when you disagree with them. All of the choices were nominated by users of this site. If Mad Men the show and the fans can't handle teasing then I suggest getting drunk
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
You are awesome. 'Mad Men' is overrated nap time programming.)
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
so much hate for under the dome...there are far worse shows tbh
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
it's the worst one that I have seen, anyways
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
I take it, that you didn't watch The Following then. I promised myself, i would watch the entire first season. I really liked the first 3 episodes. But it got so bad, i stopped watching after 10. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Under The Dome had a lot of bad parts, the season finale for instance. But it had a couple of good parts for me. I liked the two kids, their co-seizures, and Big Jim as well. Will that be enough, to watch all of season 2? Only if the writing gets better. But i still have hope for it. I like the overall concept, just not the execution of it.
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
there are a lot of okay/good/great shows that have a good and bad parts in a season/episode. The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter...the list goes on...with these dramas in order to wait for the flashes of brilliance in an episodes you have to wait 40 minutes of boring details that you dont think matter but would matter in like 3 episodes in the future or probably not at all. It is what it is. That's Television.
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
I did watch the pilot for The Following - For me that was enough. For Under the Dome, I watched 3 episodes in total, I think. Both of them are very bad. In my opinion, Under the Dome has a lot less quality, but I can easily admit different opinions in this comparison :)

I love fantasy and science fiction stories, so I'm always willing to give them a chance. It is a real pity about Under the Dome. Well, Revolution was very bad too and it improved, so you never know.
Flag
Dec 20, 2013
Revolution improved as soon as, they killed Danny off. Not that Danny was that bad of a character, but it gave a fire to Charlie, that she didn't have. Charlie's character and poor writing was dragging down the show. But now she has become a badass, and stopped wining. Tom Neville is a great villain, and keeps me watching the show.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
I guess it comes down to opinion. It isn't my favourite show but I liked it enough to watch beyond the first few episodes.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
I really don't think "Junior" from UTD belongs in the "worst kid" category. He's not really a kid. He's an adult (I did vote for him, though). Although, if you're going for the broadest definition of "kid" then anyone could be nominated. Even a 70 year old is someone's kid.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
and then of course people can nominate a goat in this category if they want, since it is based on people's input - For me, he is a kid.
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
Hahaha, nominate a goat. :)
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
I guess this would be the 260th comment on The Anatomy of a Turd, or TV turds in general, as it were. My first thought is that surely none of you have witnessed every entry; I know I haven't. 260 comments, see TV.com, this is what the people want. Well, we are still reviewing Revenge and quite a few other disappointments, so I guess you're good. I'm glad my friend Grumpyclown got a big response to this as it took a lot of effort--you too Vicks...
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
I promise I didn't nominate bunheads or any of our mutual shows. I called for you in the nominations post but no answer;-(
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
correction: I still haven't had a chance to see bunheads but I didn't nominate it;-)
Did it get renewed?
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks, hope you enjoyed it
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Alex Kingston it's great in Doctor Who
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
First, congratulation to you Grumpyclown (A LOT OF WORK) and to the person who had the idea.
Second: I can't believe we forgot Joeffrey!!!! This is what 9 months of no Game of Thrones can do to us.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
yes it's true, weouthink we have better memory for things, but here we go, another point proven by this polls - we don't! :)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Who voted Kelly Clarkson as worst guest star? Anyone who actually saw her on The Crazy Ones should know that she was better than anyone actually in the cast.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
That's not saying much. She sucked bigtime, but then so do RW and SMG.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
not enough candidates - she got through automatically
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
A positive point guys: it doesn't look like "Other" is winning anywhere so far (well, I think I saw it almost winning in opening sequence, maybe?). That is good. We have most of us chosen among the selected 10 instead of voting "other" just because our nomination didn't go through. Well, most of us...
Flag
Dec 18, 2013
I voted "other" in the categories in which I didn't know enough about the nominees to make an informed decision, but I still wanted to see the results. :) I didn't have a specific "other" in mind.
Flag
Dec 19, 2013
I did the same thing in a couple of them, so maybe there's more like us.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Worst show on tv right now is How I Met Your Mother, hands down. The Following was a disaster, how it got a second season is a mystery. Modern Family is NOT the best comedy on tv, that would be Big Bang Theory, Emmy voters be damned!!! Any and all reality tv should be cancelled immediately!!! And, the worst character on tv right now is that whiny bastard Ted Moseby!!!
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Somebody on the tv.com staff said that Raising Hope--among others was better than Big Bang. Go figure.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
For the comedy I pick Modern Family (Sorry sexy Sofia) I had hige hopes for this show at the start because of Al Bundy but the show Sucks

Flag
Dec 16, 2013
The big winner for me in most of the catagories is Shield although Revolution comes a close second :) (You hate me you really hate me :) I fell like punching Charlie in the face :) )
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I voted through 50% of it just to see the votes, It was a huge challenge for me and most shows I do not watch and have stopped watching.

You had 2 masters of sex in the worst series title category. I don't know how you can come up with that idea. Ha !
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
It was a mistake, and I cant edit the polls
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Oops...yes...now I remembered we cannot edit our posts which sucks!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
We can edit, just not the polls and that's something we would like to have (and probably staff do also)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Yep, we kept the Community post tools simple to start, so editing polls after the fact isn't possible. It's definitely something we'd like to add. In the interim, editing your post and re-creating the poll immediately after publishing is best.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
A lot of picks of mine that would have been nominated weren't there. For worst comedy, I got to go 2 Broke Girls; it just isn't funny, despite a few hacky puns which are maybe smirk-worthy and Max is just such an irritating character...I feel the show would be better without her.

For drama, I'd go Revenge. It has absolutely no focus and it shows.

Community gets the show that's gone downhill the most.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I also thought 2 broke girls was the worst, but it didn't make it to the top 10 nominations
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I went with Community for downhill as well
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
You'll get to vote for it on 'most uphill' next year.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
This poll made me realise a few things
1) I'm thankful i have never watched Tomorrow people/Dads/Arrow
2) Hopefully NO season 2 of Under The dome
3) British Soap actors make crap villians 'Rob Kazinsky'(true blood)
and the guy who played the 'fake brain surgeon' in Dexter 'A.J.Yates'
4) I'm not holdng out much hope for Almost Human
5) Seasons 2 of Banshee and Orphan Black can not be here quick enough
And one final sarcastic thanks goes to tv.com for reminding me im old enough to remember
what "Jumping the shark" means without having to google it
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
After a quick trip to Google, there WILL be a 2nd seaswon of 'dome'...Stephen King is allegedly writing the first ep
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Arrow is good imo.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
On 4, I saw the 'what to watch tonight' and almost everone watches Almost Human. Completely agree with you on 5.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
There will be Under The Dome season 2. Ofcourse you can chose not to watch it :-)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I wonder if it'll be in the 2014 edition
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Duh, what do you think
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
@Taccado Revolution tried this year.....
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
@Grumpyclown It would be pretty hilarious if all our jaws dropped at the beginning of season 2 because it would have turned into an insanely intense show matching the quality of Breaking Bad and GoT. In that case we would have to include a "Show That Is Unexpectedly Not As Bad As Last Year" category, with UtD as the only nominee.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
That it will turn a corner and be awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Staff
Dec 16, 2013
Character that complains too much! HA, that made me laugh so hard. Love it! Great job.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Although, I wish Meredith GGreyGrey were nominated here...
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
such a tough choice between laurel lance and dana brody - maybe they could head-on crash their cars into each other
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I wanted to vote for Lizzie Samuels so many times!!!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I realized late last night that I had completely overlooked the best candidate for worst kid: Camille from The returned (Les revenants).

Those of you who voted Dana Brody are just wrong. They gave her some bad scenes, but she had too many good ones to be a candidate for "worst".
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
The actress is good, but it is a character that is not supposed to be there. A complaining girl in the middle of a spies show is a good candidate for "worse kid" :) Maybe next season they recruit her for the CIA and then all these scenes with her would not have been for NOTHING.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
She was very important in seasons 1 and 2. And considering what happened at the end of season 2, it wouldn't have made any sense to not include her in season 3. Season 3 had to deal with the consequences of those events. It would have been awful writing to try to avoid it. It would also have been awful writing to not have her complain at all.

The "she tried to kill herself" story was fine. It's just that the arc should have ended after she had that talk with her mom, and she seemed to finally be ready to move on. Instead she stole her moms car and we got two (or three) episodes with some Dana scenes that shouldn't have been included in the season. This is a bad writing problem, not a bad character problem.

They should have skipped the road trip entirely, and instead have brought her back at the end of the season. It would have been very interesting to see Dana and Jessica's reactions to Brody's youtube videos for example.

So I'm not sure I can't even agree that we got too many Dana scenes in the season. Yes, there should have been fewer (or none) in episodes 4-5 or whenever that road trip was, but there should have been a few at the end of the season instead.
More +
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Just to be sure, you are talking about Dana and not Camille aren't you?
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Dana, yes :) I still haven't watched Les Revenants. I think that might be just what I need for these empty tv holidays :)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Damn, forgot the 'r'
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Absolutely worth you time.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Out of curiosity, why Camille?
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
I don't even know anymore. I haven't spent much time thinking about that show since I saw it, so I have already forgotten a lot of details. I just remember that I got more and more annoyed with her behavior, and that I didn't think the actress was good.
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
If you really mean the right one of these two (aren't twins cute, I've got one set at home), I think I can understand why but I think she was ok (although sometimes an irritating teenager jealous of her three year older twin sister).

Flag
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, I meant the one on the right (Camille). The one on the left (Lena) was what I liked the best about the show. Ridiculously hot, and a pretty good actress.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Ok, the last season of Dexter was bad... but not season 6 "we all know Edward James Olmos is dead" bad. It just suffered from apathy by writers and an inexplicable need to keep Dexter alive just in case a spinoff is created and they need a guest spot.

I tried to force myself to like Under the Dome... but it was a trainwreck and basically that was the only reason I watched 3 episodes.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
You should have watched the rest as it's a pretty good comedy.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
clicking through those polls I realized we agree a lot. even the things I chose that weren't in the majority, I could see why many went with that answer. in that case, tv.com I adopt you as my new family! *group hug*

...I expect expensive christmas gifts from you. >_>
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I expect expensive christmas gifts from you. - er.....its in the post
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I'm just glad that I've seen neither Under the dome or Hemlock Grove.
Looks like I dodged a bullet there.

It's funny how so many people are suddenly remembering bad stuff they should have nominated, now that it is too late.
It really is difficult to remember stuff you gave up on 10 months ago.

Before seeing the nominees I was all about voting for Dexter across as many categories as possible. But then, unfortunately, I was reminded of The Following and The Cult. And I realized that it was just the extreme nosedive Dexter ended with (and not just Lumberjack) and not the show as a whole that was bad.

Big thanks to Vicky and Grumpy, and everyone else who've participated. It's a lot of fun.
Results after the weekend?
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I'm happy people are finding it fun! I also thought the last season of Dexter was bad but then remembered Under the Dome and other shows. I think Dexter should win the worst season finale. I couldn't decide between a couple for worst season so I voted for both Dexter and Under the Dumb;-P
The Following was great----AS A COMEDY;-) but very bad as a drama.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
It's a good thing that we got a chance to put all our ideas of what's bad together, this way we can remind each other about those other bad things that we forgot about :) I didn't think Dexter was as bad as Under the Dome by a lot, but it does deserve some prizes, like the one you mention to the worse finale - I can forgive a lot, but I don't forgive the lumberjack!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Polls will close this weekend, results will follow
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I voted for a bunch of things yesterday, and now I'm getting "vote to see the results". Are we supposed to vote many times?
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
it was to get an honest reaction to the nominations - but even I have to revote to see the results (bit of a flaw)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
only one vote counts for a log in name and if you click refresh and revote you will see that the numbers did not change. I think you can also vote once when logged out (not sure) and if you click out hit refresh and click again.....do it several times and you will see it doesn't count. I played around with it and noticed what you mentioned but took it a couple steps further and rechecked after testing multiple votes and multiple votes don't work.

I may be wrong but I think the only "work-around" allows for 2 votes (one when logged in and one when not logged it). I'm not 100% sure and it is way past my bedtime since I need to get up in a couple hours!

The defaults are set so that one can only vote once but can vote multiple options in one category during the single voting session.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
ok, I was crossing fingers for this to be the case, because it would be a pitty that you could vote many times after all this effort - And the results look quite consistent through time (so far), so I think they are good.,,
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Nailed it!
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
That's what she said!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Totally worth it
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Its not that I think this poll is bad, I just see it as kind of depressing you know? I don't want to focus on all the bad/crappy stuff that happened in tv this year. Tv is my escape. Life has enough crap as it is, why focus on crap that isn't even real? My fault for reading I guess. You should do one to cheer folks up next time though to balance things off. like the funniest stuff to happen on tv or sum'. I can roll with that.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
hey, didn't you find the poll for "character that complains too much" cheering? I haven't answered every poll because some I have no idea what to say, but I'm personally having a lot of fun with this :)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I did vote for some and it seems like all the ones I voted for included Elena from TVD. I dislike her character so much so maybe that's why I felt down after doing the poll when I think about it. And look, I'm getting annoyed just typing about her.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
ooh you cannot let it get to you like that, specially not from TVD! That's a crazy show that's supposed to be for the fun only. There are a lot of other characters there! You can use this type of exercise to get a relief on your frustration,, though :) (Oh, and stick around to remind me of this stuff when I'm the one getting annoyed, will you? ;)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
The whole thing, nominations and voting really cheered me up. I didn't think it was depressing. And as far as I read the comments, almost anyone had fun with it.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I didn't really read the comments but if everyone is having fun with it its cool then. :) Instead of sitting at home stewing over all the crap that happened on tv, make fun of it. I get that.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Well this was just very depressing about TV in general but completely warranted and relevant.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Love this poll way better than the tv.com one. great job! it's weird that you can vote for multiple shows but can't uncheck the choice though. stupid little nitpick that can be ignored LOL. again great job!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Character that complains too much Bay from Switched At Birth
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
most of these nom's should be in the best if their not already especially Felica Day how in the hell is she is any Worst of second Worst guest Star Female Drama all of nom's should not be nominated third UNDER THE DOME WAS ACTUALLY PRETTY DAMN GOOD 4th Sophia Lowe is awesome Emma Rigby is also very good 5 maybe next year cut down your nom's to four or five I could IMO Hemlock Grove should rank in the awards as his was just terrible IMO
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Opinions are always welcome, but I don't think you read much about the premises of these polls, did you.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I'm one of those who nominated Felicia Day
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
You are entitled one mistake min your life, Sir.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
All of the nominations were submitted by the users/members at tv.com. They were tallied and those with the most nominations made it into the poll. It is all based on input from the site members. Sometimes a show was nominated in multiple categories (for example, both drama and science fiction) and that was fine because that is what the people participating wanted. If you think someone was missing from the poll you could of nominated them in the earlier post. If you did nominate someone and they aren't on the list then there were more nominations for other shows/people/etc...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and this poll is basically telling us what the participating voters think/feel. In other words, the poll reflects the site users nominations who participated in the nominations post and this post..

Hemlock Grove is mentioned in a category or two.

I take it you don't like punctuations? lol;-P

I'm glad you found enjoyment from UTD. Apparently others did as well since it did ok (I think) in the ratings. This poll just represents the views of a cross section of the population of tv.com. It does not affect a shows renewal or anything other then the voters opinions.
More +
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Good job on the poll! Since I am not familiar with all these shows I only voted on certain categories.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if all the nominees for Character That Complains Too Much were on Survivor. Tribal Council would probably last 10 hours.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
That's one factor that applies to "worst of the year" - usually we have not seen the real worst stuff because it was so bad to start with :) But here we get a chance to punish a little those that could have been better but, instead, they chose to be bad! :)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I notice a lot of truly bad shows have not been nominated, and I guess it's because they are less popular so they have managed to go under the radar or even forgotten by most. At the same time other more popular bad shows (amazingly those exist) have gotten most of the nominations. Where is the love - or is it hate? - for shows like Beauty and the Beast (yeah, it's still on air), Hat of Dixie, The Lying Game, The Client List, Dracula (only one small nomination), Betrayal (only a few minor nominations)...

And talking about terrible romantic scenes: A lot of them in Girls, most of them involving Lena Dunham's (Hannah) and/or Adam Driver's (Adam) characters, and the scenes in Shameless in which Kev has sex with his mother-in-law.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
*cough* I love Hart of Dixie *cough*
Flag
Dec 17, 2013
terrible cough you have there!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I think the nominations reflect the level of disappointment. For example, the pilot of UTD was good, but the drop off in quality that followed was so quick and steep, it was surprising.
Dexter's final season was announced long ago, but instead of taking chances or making it seem like he was actually going to get caught, we got Vogel, Hannah and the Brain Surgeon - oh and a lumber jack final scene.
With the shows you mentioned, no one was expecting much, so they didnt offend on the same level.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Oh, damn! I missed the deadline for the nominations. I had written all of them ready to post them, except a few guest star nominations. I guess the lesson is: you snooze, you lose.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks for the name "blowies";-)
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Glad to see Under The Dome is raking in the awards.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
which Masters of Sex title sequence was the worst? I think we all know what was on your mind when you listed that category! perv
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
So we all knew Under the Dome was bad, what's new?
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
there's a fellow up there in the comments that totally disagrees - although that's not new neither
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
I can't believe anyone would include Tony Shalhoub or Chuck Lorre here.Otherwise, billion kudos to you, grumpy.Great work.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
We are Men was horrible = Tony Shaloub nomination
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
It was and still is horrible, but the other actors in it were worse.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
But we expect more from him
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I agree.It is clear this was more for the money.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Strong work Grumps! Thanks for putting this all together. Side note: I can't believe someone(s) thought Gillian Anderson was bad on Hannibal.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Guest stars was a tough category
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
More women than men in both the “Character we dislike that we are supposed to like” and “Character we would like to see die” categories, which is a bit disturbing really. And I did think about Joffrey Baratheon, and I do want him to die, but I'm not ready for his death yet, he hasn't quite got everything he wants yet, it'll be so much sweeter when he is on the verge of having everything when suddenly a dragon eats him.

I can't believe that Agent Ressler doesn't have more votes, he never stops complaining and he's a terrible FBI Agent.

I'm surprised that Sophie Lowe has been nominated for “worst leading female (sci-fi/fantasy)”, I think she's pretty good.

I'm really not surprised that Rebel Wilson is the run-away leader for “worst leading female (comedy)”, most of them on that list are pretty good (Cobie Smulders is great and a lot better than Alyson Hannigan), whereas Wilson is simply terrible.

No matter what you all vote for I know, deep in my soul, that the Goldbergs are the worst kids on TV – yes, even worse than Joffrey!

Carries pregnancy is a complete joke of a plot twist (“ohh look there's a shark down there”) but Saul and Carries “plan” for her to infiltrate the Iranian group was such a convoluted mess that it has to be the worst piece of writing for 2013 and, therefore, the 'Worst Plot Twist'.

Speaking of “ohh look there's a shark down there”, 'killing Brian' and 'Bonnie not staying dead' (damn it) were very annoying, but Homeland is so bereft of ideas that they must have thought, “what have we not done yet... hmmm... I know! Inappropriate pregnancy!”. Just fucking lazy.

AAARRRRHHHHH! Where the fuck is Sean Hayes for the 'Vicky Award'. OK, I'm voting for 'US Cable News' but I want to point out that 90 % of that vote is aimed squarely at Fox News – the biggest hate mongers in the business.

I thought Hostages would have had a few more votes for “worst writing” - the husband of the surgeon who is about to perform surgery on The POTUS just happens to be having an affair, whilst their daughter just happens to find out she is pregnant and their son just happens to end up in trouble with drug dealers all on the same day that a FBI agent takes them all hostage to force the surgeon to kill The POTUS on the operating table. That's a shit load of coincidences all wrapped up in a ridiculous premise. The Secret Service would have been watching all off them from the get-go and they would have protected the family for weeks prior to the surgery. What a load of rubbish.

Anyway, that fun. Certainly a lot more fun than the TV.com awards. Massive thanks to GrumpyClown for all his hard work. Now I'm looking forward to next years Blowies...

More+
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Buuut most of those women we hate / want to kill are probably written by men. (Just based on the gender mix of showrunners / writers). The issue could be less about our feelings about women on screen and more about the fact that certain men just don't write likeable women. Does that make you more or less disturbed?
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
or that there is a trend of poorly written female characters on TV
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I think you're both right. Maybe we were spoiled with Olivia Dunham and now we expect that standard to be the norm?
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
"the husband of the surgeon who is about to perform surgery on The POTUS just happens to be having an affair, whilst their daughter just happens to find out she is pregnant and their son just happens to end up in trouble with drug dealers all on the same day that a FBI agent takes them all hostage to force the surgeon to kill The POTUS on the operating table." - until you wrote this, I avoided Hostages, BUT NOW I WANT TO WATCH IT!!
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
If it was a film then I'd say "yeah, waste 2 hours of your life" but it isn't, it's a 13 episode mini-series with no hope of renewal, that was so light on a plot that they threw a shit load of daytime soap opera clichés at it in the hope that that would justify the (approx.) 542 minute runtime. It short, and in hindsight, I made it sound a lot more exciting than it is!
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Hahahahaha
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
I know this is a bit late, but I think a "worst plan" category would have been great. Some candidates:

1. Hemlock Grove: (Major spoiler for the final episode of season 1)

I really want to kill the psycho werewolf, and it's right here, in human form, asking me to kill it. My buddy brought a sword here, so I know what to do. I'll tie a power cord loosely around its neck, cover my face in bacon grease, wait for the psycho werefolf to turn into wolf form, let it eat my face, and if it only eats my face instead of killing me, then I'll turn into a wolf too and try to fight it. (The idiot who came up with this plan then lost the fight in about two seconds. He was dead or dying, but then his girlfriend's tears brought him back to health, because love is the strongest magic).

2. The Following: People might not feel safe now that they know that there's a whole cult of serial killers in this small town, so let's encourage them to go to the evacuation center without checking them for weapons or anything like that.

3. The originals: Let's gather 50 vampires and have them attack Klaus one or two at a time, with no weapons. Let's also try to bind him in these chains without doing any sort of testing to see if they're strong enough.
More+
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
I guess it doesn't matter much, but I just remembered that the friend had brought an axe, not a sword.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
ad. 1 Someone actually wrote, directed, and acted out that scene? And then put it on the air? That is just too bizarre.
That would barely make it in a Spoof movie.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
Homeland: plan to kill the iranian security chief by sending Brody asking for asylum with a poisoned serynge LOL

TWD: plan to take the prison over to better defend your people by breaking all the prison's defenses with a tank!

Hostages: plan to assasinate the president by taking hostage a doctor's family for two weeks...

TVD: so many to choose from! latest, plan to cure cancer by making vampires eat themselves LOL
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
That Homeland plan was pretty annoying.

1. They didn't seem to realize that it would be impossible for Brody to get away. Saul, Dar and Lockhart didn't mind sacrificing him, but Carrie did, so she should have thought about it.

2. Since it was possible to follow that Iranian guy and observe him directly, it was also possible to have a sniper kill him. And it would have been much easier to extract a sniper than a guy standing right next to the guy he's killing and his security people.

3. Brody was carrying the syringe in a way that made it visible to everyone.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Despite the length, that was pretty fun. Thanks!

Pretty much, if Under the Dome or its cast were nominated, I voted for them. But oddly enough, I'm actually kind of looking forward to season 2 (*shakes head in shame*). It's honestly the FIRST show I've ever been able to describe as "so bad, it's good". That never happens to me.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
thank you for doing this, Grumpy. I know it was a lot of work, but it is a needed thing for this community.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Dec 16, 2013
No, silly, because many of us LIVE to complain about shows.
Flag
Dec 15, 2013
Enjoy
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Topic
Members