I have done a couple of discussion topics this month. The first was the The Most Romantic Moment in Sci-Fi and the other was Funniest Moment in Sci-Fi/Genre Televison.

For this one, I decided to leave the "Sci-Fi or "Genre" off the discussion topic to open it up to all sorts of TV. Some shows that aren't typically scary can just freak you the hell out and I am looking forward to those of you who can come up with the unexpected.

Personally, I peed my pants as a little boy (well - I still do today but its like Walter would say, "it's just a squirt") from reruns of The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. Even Star Trek TOS had some moments I had to look between the cracks in my fingers as I held my hand over my eyes.

I decided my examples will come from my experiences with TV from the 90's on, since that was when I became (age-wise) a grown up. My college friends most likely disagree.

I narrowed it down further to shows I like, not just scenes that freaked me out once. I have to give honorable mention to Farscape's "Eat Me." That IS Sci-Fi and not a typically scary show. That episode had my tummy sick from start to finish (think a Sci-Fi version of The Walking Dead - while trapped on a starship). And so many things popped in my head from the 3 seasons of American Horror Story - so that is too hard for me to choose from. The scene with the little girl version of Lilith sitting at the dinner table with family, smeared with her cat's blood - that little girl should have won an Emmy. She was terrifying. Supernatural has had so many. As have Dexter, Buffy, and Angel. I cannot WAIT to see which scenes out of those you come up with.

So....I picked one from my first TV obsession...and my latest TV obsession.

*** And we all love feedback and descriptions - but if you can include a clip that would really be cool. Words don't do scenes of this nature any justice.

The X-Files "Home"

Never before and never since have I seen a show that, from start to finish, filled me with so much, dread, nausea, terror and a "WTF" face that I am glad didn't stay that way like my mom told me it would. From what I have heard, networks won't even show this episode in syndication. Brutal, sick, twisted...and just frelling AWESOME!

That was my first TV obsession. Now to my latest:
I threw this one together when I narrowed it down as to how I would choose. And I immediately remembered this scene - so I created the clip. Incidentally, did any of you L O S T fans notice my little "production signature" at the beginning and end of the clip? I made that so long ago when I used to YouTube the brains out of clips from that beloved show. Incidentally, the scene when Michael shot Ana Lucia gave me one of the biggest "jumps" I can remember.

Anyway, Sleepy Hollow is mystical and sometimes a little gruesome... but it is hardly "horror". It works in subtle and not so subtle (like this one) starts and jumps. This show has impeccable timing with it's humor... and it's scares. The way Moloch moves just freaks me the hell out and the last moment, when he rushes the mirror, I litterally jumped back in my chair.

There are so many guys. I cannot wait to hear (and hopefully see!) your examples of terror! Wait. That's kind of twisted in itself, isn't it? MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!
185 Comments
Comments (185)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The scene in V (The original miniseries) when Donovan discovers what the Visitors are really like. I think I was seven when I first saw this, and I had nightmares for weeks.

Go to 2:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77HfZu24bw

Flag
HOLY CRAP! We were the same age. I had a mini me cruch and then A FRELLING LIZARD! Yeah. I needed therapy LOL ;-p
Flag
I have watched that episode of Sleepy Hollow three times now. I still gasp (quite loudly) when Moloch breaks that mirror. Every. Single. Time. Even though I know it's coming. It still manages to surprise me.
Flag
When i uploaded that video I made, I named it "The Way You Move" Yeah. Major creepout.

I miss Icky and Abbie
Flag
Me too! Can't wait for the fall season! :)
Flag
Buffy. Season 4. Hush. Gentlemen.

Good night y'all.
Flag
Oh, and btw, no mention of "Bound" or "The Transformation" from Fringe? First season, Bound was the episode where a huge bacteria would jump into people's mouths and kill them. The Transformation was the one where a couple of people completely werewolf-like transformed, teeth falling out, the whole shebang! Those weren't exactly easy to watch...
Flag
I thought there would be more Fringe and American Horror Story. But YOU mentioned it - and this is a DISCUSSION! So well done! FRINGE only barely trails Farscape and L O S T for me in favorite all time TV. Actually - it is even with L O S T. So it is 2B. Even those folks on the plane in the Pilot were disturbing in a major way.
Flag
Hahaha, I'm a 90s kid, so you have to understand that I am simply too young to remember any X-Files episodes. I'm 23 now, so you can imagine that SPN and Fringe and so on had a much bigger impact on me than the X-Files ever will. If it was on, my parents would put me to bed, seeing as it was labelled "a scary show" ;-)
And yes, the Fringe pilot: 2.5 hours of pure gruesomeness really. And the No-Brainer! And the episode where people lost their bones! Brrr :')
Flag
I have to be honest: once upon a time, the Winchester boys were anything but famous. It was late on a Saturday night. I was home alone. And some TV station aired the first episode, the pilot, of Supernatural at around midnight. I'd never even heard of the show before, didn't know what to expect. And it sure freaked me out for days!
Now I love the Winchester bros of course ;-) But once upon a time... Their first ever episode scared the living daylights out of me...
Flag
I remembered it wrong - combined 2 scenes in one (as my feeble brain will do). But this is what I mentioned below.

Frelling creepy little girls...

Flag
Hahaha, I'm rewatching again from season 1, so I'm sure I'll be freaking out all over again with those Lillith episodes :p
Flag
But all growed up Lillith?? argdgdgdgdgdgd. WOW.
Flag
She makes an appearance at the end of the comedy ep Yellow Fever that makes me want to cry. I HATE that little girl!! Give her an Emmy! "It's ok, silly!"
Flag
I am a SN nut - but I honestly didn't dive in until a friend told me "Great car, classic rock, and awsome humor and mytharc) I was in! It was the strike shortened season (writer's strike) and it was with the familly around the kitchen table, with lil girl Lillith killing kitties and snapping grandad's neck and then squealing "That's ok, Silly!) when dad begged for his life. I gotta find that clip. Jeebus

Flag
Hey, it had Tucker Smallwood (hilariously inappropriate name for a grown man) from Space: Above and Beyond, Millennium, etc!
Flag
Home was definitely a little messed up.
Flag
Never seen it is it any good
Flag
Michelle - all I can say it was probably the most shocking X-Files ever and maybe one of the most shocking in episodic TV. Ever. As I said - in syndication and repeats, it is often not even aired it is so disturbing. It might have been the Halloween ep the year it aired... but I'm not sure. Stuff on American HOrror Story is a sitcom compared to this ep. Ok. That's a little hyperbole! But not far off.
Flag
...in a very COOL way. Hell we remember it 20 years later.
Flag
1969 Night Gallery episode, The Escape Route. Even to this day I can remember the horror of that particular show. That, and the earwig episode.
Flag
I haven't seen all of that one yet. Ross Martin and Burl Ives?
Flag
The episode called The Caterpillar with Laurence Harvey.
"An unscrupulous man who wants the beautiful wife of another colleague pays to have an earwig placed in the husband's ear. This insect will will tunnel through the victim's brain causing excruciating pain and certain death. His accomplice enters the wrong bedroom and places the insect in his employer's ear. After weeks of pain he miraculously survives, but his doctor tells him that his ordeal is not yet over" imdb
Flag
I was referring to The Escape Route. The Caterpillar, I wrote about below.
Flag
Ah. The one I was thinking of was "The Other Way Out."

All three of the Night Gallery movie segments are fairly scary.
Flag
Sorry, I didn't see that, glad it was someone else's scary moment too! The Escape Route was the Nazi war criminal (Richard Kiley) who was in hiding in South America. He was mesmerized by a beautiful painting in an art museum - he was also being pursued by a Nazi hunter. He thought he had the perfect way out...
Flag
No Tales from the Darkside Mentions? I remember watching this series when I was a kid the scariest thing that scared me was called Inside the Closet it was about a little creature in a small closet in a small room that tormented a college girl. The Creature gave me the creeps for weeks.
Flag
I mentioned "Slippage" earlier.

Actually, the Creature is supposed to be cute. :) And it kind of is.
Flag
Well - there's a mention now! That's how it works! Great choice - I was a weenie and afraid to watch. Do you have any clips of your favorite scenes? YouTube has everything these days
Flag
Sure this part always got me because of the Suspense of when the creature was revealed. I suggest you check the Episode out if you haven't already/ Tales from the Darkside had a lot of good creepy episodes back in the Day.c

Flag
I think it's scary how much time folks take to upload nearly anything to YouTube. Myself included.
Flag
"Home" from the X-Files is definitely a stomach-churning prospect nearly two decades after originally airing. But in more recent memory, Sally's transformation into a flesh-eating zombie last season on Being Human had a few really gross moments. Eating a live mouse was disgusting, but I still squirm thinking about her toothbrush going through her cheek and knocking out a tooth.

Flag
What. You never had that happen? So judgemental!
Flag
Some people just aren't built for picking up their own teeth and moving on with their day.
Flag
TV.com, Why do you use Vimeo? Why?
Flag
But I'm curious. Why do you say that?
Flag
They don't push it on us. But every network show I create a video for, YouTube blocks outside the US. Vimeo - thus far, has not been a Nazi and I have been able to post vids I created (that took a shotliad of time to make). Tv.com does not allow us to upload files directly. I have used a half dozen to try to get stuff posted (YouTube is the most strict) - and Vimeo is the only one that continues to allow it.

Hope that helps.
Flag
Ah, that makes sense. I just say that because VImeo's player never works right for me
Flag
The Twilight Zone episode "The Good Life" still creeps me out.

The Good Life
Flag
I noted it earlier, but scariest TV moment, hands down, guaranteed to give you nightmares and haunt your days...

Flag
Thank you, now I remember having a vhs-tape somewhere with a documentary on songs/music by StarTrek actors. That really creeped me out for a few minutes...
Flag
***under bed with pillow over face..shuddering
Flag
Does Paranormal Witness qualify?
I couldn't get past first season. I don't know what is about this show, I know it's fake but something just stayed with me afterward and gave me nightmares....
Flag
I'm not much of a believer in any of the stories they tell, whether based on eyewitness testimony or completely made up, but the episode "The Dybbuk Box" was very unsettling to me. Whether complete farce, it made for one hell of a story!
Flag
If it's TV - absolutely! I don't recall it. Do you have a favorite clip?(just embed the link from YouTube).
Flag
It goes on SyFy. I'm truly sorry but I cannot force myself to watch that again. I barely convinced myself that girl with no face on the side of the road is not real. Every single story is just so creepy, but I guess the story of a girl with no face is the creepiest.
Here's the link on the ep1. I can't watch it, it is somewhere there...
PW ep 1
Flag
My scariest moments tent to be more of the psychological kind
Millennium: The Mikado. Probably the first time the plot involved killing in front of a webcam.
and the Third Episode of Ultraviolet a short lived British series about an agency tasked with finding and killing Code Fives (V)ampires
In the third episode a pregnant woman is the center of the story. She is pregnant a science experiment done by the V's so she might be carrying one, but no one knows for sure as Vampires can't be seen by electronic equipment.
The Woman herself does not know vampires exist. So she thinks she's pregnant, The doctors can't see anything and think it's dead or a phantom pregnancy. Her handlers tell her an other story. our hero's want her to abort. No wander the woman slowly turns crazy.
The woman manage to escape everybody and ends up of all places in a pro-live clinic.

Flag
You could make an entire list of scariest moments using just episodes of Millennium.
Flag
Also intersting if you want to see a young Idris Elba or Jack Davenport.
Flag
Currently Teen Wolf has some really frightening moments. Season 3b has seen some really scary stuffs in each of its 5-6 episodes. And then there was episode motel california in 3a.
Flag
I know right it's going into creepy crazy scary instantly mode and it's brilliant. The moment with the flys popping out of Doug jones stomach that will stay with me for years
Flag
That whole sequence was disturbing, and not hardly just because of the flies. To say nothing of them never answering how those even got there!
Flag
I know he was just creepy I couldn't put my finger on it but the way he carried himself his presence was just creepy.
Flag
this was quite possibly the most disturbing scene I have ever experienced from a television show. The sheer brutality of it and the sounds just made me cringe and almost turn it off. ***SPOILER ALERT ALERT ALERT***

Not to mention the loss of a character we have watched for 6 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krLy_KEHMjY
Flag
Balls. Can't believe Peg Bundy would do that.
Flag
You young whippersnappers...

Going back to the 60s and 70s.

Twilight Zone: And When the Sky Was Opened: There's no overtly horrific moments, but the whole concept of people just being wiped out of reality, with no one remembering who they are, for no real reason, is psychologically scary. (An episode of Tales From the Darkside, Slippage, played with the same idea.)

Outer Limits: The original one. First season. Several scary ones, including The Invisibles (Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but watching Don Gordon with a broken ankle crawl away from a mind-controlling crab is worth the admission), and Nightmare (with its scenes of sadistic torture, as well as the kicker at the end explaining why it's being done) are fairly creepy. While it's a rather mediocre episode otherwise, It Crawled Out of the Woodwork with its stop-motion energy creatures and techno zombies, is another one I've always found scary as well.

Night Gallery: The Caterpillar. Although NG is remembered more for the cheesy episodes and the comedy blackouts, it had a few gems. A man having his own insect murder weapon turned back on him, and the twist-kicker at the end ("And the female lays eggs"), is pretty scary even if we don't get to see it. (Runnerup: Pickman's Model)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
: Several of the early episodes, when they took the concept more seriously, rather than the later semi-camp/cheese episodes. Helped by the fact that Darren McGavin always sold the concept no matter what, with Kolchak as an everyman who typically did what most of us would do in the same situations: hide in a closet (The Ripper), panic and run like hell (The Vampire, The Spanish Moss Murders), be reduced to babbling hysterics (The Spanish Moss Murders) or drop the weapon we brought along to kill the monster (The Vampire, Bad Medicine, The Spanish Moss Murders) and then panic and run like hell. But overall most horrific scene: The Zombie, where Kolchak has to creep into a junkyard (a graveyard for cars *heh*) where the Zombie is lurking, find it in its coma, and try to fill its mouth with salt and stitch its lips together. Check out 41:38 - 47:46 here if you have a spare six minutes, and enjoy 70s composer Gil Melle's creepy music:

More+
Flag
I love being called young - but I did mention the first 2 in the intro. I just couldn't recall anything specific (except The Shat on the plane). I do remember the TZ and OL eps you mentioned.
Flag
Besides, Shatner is so indelibly Overacting Actor Man that it's hard to consider anything with him in it scary. See also Kingdom of the Spiders and Incubus.

It's like Adam West. Once you see him in Batman, nothing else you ever see him in will be scary (Zombie Nightmare). Or sexy, for those of who saw Young Lady Chatterly 2. Credit where credit is due, they know it.
Flag
That should be a gif
Flag
Speaking of scary moments, did you know that Kingdom of the Spiders gave us one of the scariest moments ever?

KotS was nominated for Best Horror Film... and at the awards ceremony, Shatner gave his now-infamous performance of "Rocket Man."

And Ve Neill, who is now doing judge duty on Faceoff, handled makeup for the money.
Flag
"makeup for the movie."
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Well, I was commenting more on the Comments then the main post: hence whippersnappers, plural. :)

As far as the TZ Nightmare episode, I think that's a case of the creature itself undercutting the scariness. The gremlin is just too cuddly. It's like the Abominable Snowmen in Doctor Who. In their first appearance they were too teddy bearish, and then they made them scarier for their second appearance.

Of course, the gremlin in the TZ movie, they went too far the other way. It ended up looking like an Alien from the Alien franchise.

Flag
For me the scariest moments by far are all in Discovery's and Nat Geo Wild's promos for their own shows. For some reason they always involve quick cuts from something else entirely to giant spiders. One time they even had a giant spider trying to bite the camera lens.

They do the same thing with snakes, just to ensure that have both of the two most common phobias covered.
Flag
I have no idea why they think this is a good idea. It should only make people less likely to keep the TV tuned to one of those channels.

I also don't understand why they advertise their own shows at all, or why they take really long breaks to do it. (There are NO advertisements for anything else, but the breaks are still as long as on the big TV networks). It seems to have no other purpose than to ruin their shows.

I wouldn't plan ahead to watch one of their shows anyway. I would just check those channels at a random time to see if there's something on. But I don't really do that anymore, since they spend such an absurd amount of time advertising their own shows.
Flag
Nuture IS the most terrifying, 'caude that sh%^ is REAL! I can watch zombies munch on human flesh, but I can't stand watching a cougar attacking a deer. And I wasn't referring to an attractive older woman.
Flag
Yes, there's plenty of nasty stuff going on. I've seen two clips where hyenas started eating an animal that's still alive. In one case, the animal had its legs stuck in mud, so they just walked up and started eating. I think one of the hyenas was biting at the genitals. In the other case, the hyenas chased the animal for hours until it collapsed from overheating. It was still conscious. It just wasn't able to stand up. So they started eating.
Flag
Well there's a story didn't need to hear! LOL

Sorry, I have a little PTSD when it comes to genital eating. Long story. In my defense, she was really cute. Normally I don't allow such friskiness on a 1st date.

;-p
Flag
For all those who remember a bit about how horribly dark this episode was:

Having nostalgia sadness seeing the old ad for Sci-Fi Friday PRIME:
Gigi Edgely. Mmmm.

Actually, the scariest thing I have seen is the amount of Crap-Ads that have hit this article in the last 12 hours. Patsully and Co. are trying, but they really need to try something else.

Flag
Channel 4's Dead Set has a lot of scary moments, the zombies are actually scary (which can not be said from The Walking Dead in my opinion)
Flag
Hmm. Thanks! I'll look in to some (ahem) "alternate means" to see if I can find that.
Flag
Twin Peaks, the scene of the revelation of the identity of BOB in which he commits a brutal murder by far my number 1.
Flag
Twin Peaks: Beyond Life and Death
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Hush
Supernatural: The Kids are Alright
Angel: I've Got You Under My Skin (more dark than anything)
Fringe: Marionette
X-Files: Home
Dr Who: Blink
American Horror Story: Halloween I and II
Flag
Blink! YES, great example! on the Doctor Who train of thought, the one that always creeped me out the most was in season 1, The Empty Child..."are you my mummy?"....eek!

Flag
Blink! There is the kind I love. Not "BOO" scary but that dark dread and suspense. Great choice!
Flag
BLINK! That was definitely the scariest Dr. Who I've ever seen!!! (And I don't just mean the new ones. :)
Flag
Copied this from Price recap of the River.

Flag
I thought of the River as well. That whole tree full of dolls freaked me the F@#$ out. I do not like dolls at all.
Flag
OMG!! That's FRELLED up!!!
Flag
Sure does, you yutz! Couple microts of that gif made my minvoks shrivel like a silly frellnik.
Flag
Wow, someone has been hitting the Farscape archives pretty hard and heavy.
Flag
Scary thing... I don't have to. stuck in the melon forever.
Flag
Was that the show that was cancelled like -immediately? I remember the name... freaky L O S T vibe was being promo'ed. Am I wrong?
Flag
Everyone remembers the monkey image. The rest of the show was 100% forgettable.
Flag
The show had tons of brilliant and disturbing ideas, but so often felt like a mob of angry producers were taking away any and all chances of a real payoff of terror, maybe they were afraid of literally scaring away viewers? Ironic, since they succeeded in doing that anyway!
Flag
well it was the best performance in that show. that monkey deserved an EMMY
Flag
Well, it ran a full mini-season.
Flag
and it was longer than i expected kkkk
Flag
yes, cancelled because was a bad excuse for a show, bad acting also didnt help ^^
Flag
that was funny, not scary ahahhahah
Flag
X-Files was my scariest show!! With episode "Home" of course, but also Tooms!! God, that guy gave me nightmares!!!!

Flag
Ohhhh, you're so right! I couldn't go out to the bathroom at night! Totally amazingly creepy!!!!
Flag
UGGHHHH Tooms was a total creep fest!
Flag
Oh my God, yes! He used to scared the hell out of me. I used to have so many nightmares after first seeing that episode for the first time. I stayed at a friend's house shortly afterwards and ended up staying awake all night, freaking out about the air-vent they had in the room.
Flag
Oh God, don't talk to me about Air-vent!!!! At night I was even scared to look at a window... Didn't want to see theses yellow eyes!!!!
Flag
Air-vent and this tiny vent in bathtub - ohhh migosh! Tooms slipping into bath-tub... I still remember that I stopped watching XFiles because of this episode and then I decided to get back to it. And surprise of all surprises - there was a second part of his story! I couldn't go to toilet at night by myself, without switching on all lights on the way :)
Flag
Donnie Pfaster was a creepy psycho too.
Flag
i really miss x-files
Flag
im not buying the dvd because the bluray is being produced lol
Flag
Buy the DVD's, they seriously are worth the investment - if you're in the UK! Bearing in mind you get nearly 150 hours worth of entertainment, for the complete box-set it's £70 ($116.40), which I think is pretty good value considering the quality of the entertainment.
Although, if you are in the US it's $190 (£114.26)! Does the US have a huge VAT rate for DVD's? I thought it was bad enough over here.
Flag
As do I. FRINGE filled that hole in my heat. And now - Sleepy Hollow. But the subject matter - the Sci-Fi of the 1st two... nothing like it. Such a tingling in the loins over Scully and a plain old man-crush on Mulder.
Flag
Now I will have to find 'The home' and watch it again......
Flag
Don't do it late at night with the lights off. High noon, every light on, with happy music and smiley faces everywhere.

Eff it, it would still freak me out.
Flag
No, did it during around lunch time over here. I never get scared by television or a movie. Sometimes I just find it a bit gross when it gets messy. I am in no way a horror fan. But, as a normal human being, I can be scared by something unexpectedly turning up on my screen.
Flag
Watched and it for sure is one little house of horrors in there.
Flag
wait for bluray to come, i know i will watch every episode again kkk
Flag
The one that freaked me out was in an episode of Fringe called Marionnette where a man stole back all the donated body parts of a dancer he was obsessed with, put them back together, turned her into a giant puppet and then made her Dance . The acting , the music , everything about it was just plain scary
Flag
Very nice. Wasn't she alive, but brain dead, though? I got a Frankenstein vibe from it if I am remembering right
Flag
She was dead and they used her as an organ donor , the guy stole all the parts back and turned her into a puppet
Flag
Dog Darn it I miss Fringe so much.
Flag
When I think of scary tv shows, oddly the first one to come to mind was an episode of Hunter from the 80s. The episode is from Season 6 and is called The Nightmare. The basic gist is a woman who had been tortured sadistically in her home country as a young girl had escaped to the US and years later, her torturer found her again. I was young when I watched it and I found it absolutely terrifying. Can still remember how I felt at the time.

The second one that comes to mind almost immediately is an episode of Supernatural (S01E05 - Bloody Mary). Perhaps it was because I remembered how terrified I was playing Bloody Mary at a sleepover when I was a kid. Or perhaps it was because when I watched the episode, my bedroom had an entire wall of mirror and I was terrified to close my eyes for the first few nights. :)

Flag
i think bloody mary was 1 of those really memorable ep of Supernatural. And 1 of the best. Dean's voice did change but i think its because of age rather than booze..
Flag
Yeahhh!! Bloody Mary!!!!! That episode was the freakiest from all the Supernaturals!! It was one of the first episodes of the show, but I remember it perfectly!!! And is it me, or Dean's voice has changed a lot since then??? Too much booze I guess!lol
Flag
What the hell...I don't recognize his voice at all.
Flag
He has really deepened it since season 1. That voice you heard is his regular talking voice. He used it then and in Smallville.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
They did that on AHS Season 1. Bloody Mary - freakin me out! Hunter! Nice find! I remember being in love with the female lead. I was like 11.
Flag
'Home' is definitely STILL one of the scariest episodes in television history, even after all this time. Those involved made it so very believable.

The episode where the human flatworm (I don't remember the name of the ep) was pretty freaky too. And not just because one of my friends at the time actually worked for a Port-A-Potty company. He refused to go to work the night after watching the episode. Mulders bit regarding talking about the lifeforms becoming extinct, but we never think about the ones being created, has stuck with me.

The Walking Dead is a creepy show. But, I'm more likely to encounter a lifeform created by radiation from Chernyoble than I am a zombie. Which is why X-Files wins my over-all scary award.
Flag
Some of that creepiness Chris Carter was good at made it's way to Millennium as well. Was that the Flukeworm living in the sewers? Oh crap. That's what I love - you guys bringing back awesome memories.
Flag
Yeah Millenium has some great moments. I haven't watched it in a long time so it's pretty fuzzy, but I remember one episode where there's a power outage or storm or something...Frank Black sees Lucy Butler coming down the stairs towards him...and as the lights/lightning flickers he sees flashes of her as a demon. The image has stuck with me to this day. There were a lot of really creepy and scary things in that show, it was so dark. Wish I could remember more of them...definitely time for a rewatch!

Btw, Price did a short article about it a while back & talks about that fantastic scene at the end of S2 showing one character's descent into madness. That scene was freaky and awesome. http://www.tv.com/news/anybody-remember-this-millenniums-epic-10-minute-freakout-video-29741/
Flag
Price Peterson makes my man-crush deepen every day.
Flag
It wasn't scary to me personally however it freaked me out big time.
The scene in hannibal where the chick with Prosopagnosia (Face blindness) sees hannibal in the office and he has no face.

Flag
Amen to that!
Flag
Back in '96 there was this show called "Dark Skies" that had moments that freaked me the 'eff out...It's hard to find specific scenes these days because there was some stupid movie last year that stole the title

Anyway, The original Dark Skies had to do with the Roswell gov't coverup of an alien invasion of earth from the 1940's on through time as the eras changed,

I remember one specific scene that was fundamentally creepy as one of the aliens was speaking to its mothership, but I can't for the life of me find it now, because of all the dark skies '13 bs on the youtubes

Looking back, yes, it was pretty cheesy because of budget, but at the time, it was extremely dark for what it tried to be and had a number of scenes that both impressed & chilled me (& I don't get chilled often at all...even back then)

Flag
I SO remember this! They were betting on the X-Files popularity. Iam having memory farts right now, but I do remember being excited about it.
Flag
I didn't generally find Buffy scary, but the Gentlemen in "Hush" were psychologically terrifying. Plus, the classic jump scare gets me every time I re-watch the episode.

"Home" was very disturbing. But years later I also remain freaked out by the concept of torture by amputation in the Kill Switch episode of X Files. (Even though it turns out not to be real.)

Finally, a not-typically-scary show: I found the Vegas part of the CSI Trilogy so conceptually horrifying that I stopped watching the show forever.

Flag
Yeah, the Hush guys were very disturbing to me.
Flag
Aw. They had pretty smiles!
Flag
No, you're right. From the movie forward, it was meant to be campy and funny and occasionally dark. But it could provide some shockers too.
Flag
There have been a few for me but instead of scary it's been just down right creepy and made my spine shiver.

sleepy hollow- the scene in purgatory with that girl with no face sitting in the chair.
teen wolf- when those flys popped out of Doug Jones's stomach during surgery
supernatural well they've had a few
Flag
Here MIchelle, just 4 U! LOL ;-p

Flag
Its still gives me chills
Flag
That is the actual speed she moves too. Even more creepy.
LOL - doesn't it look like she's playing air sax?
Flag
Then you must have LOVED my cover photo!
Flag
That was the first thing that caught my eye when I opened up the web page
Flag
I actually had this conversation with my wife just the other day. Shes a horror movie/tv show buff and she said hands down the x-files episode "home" freaked her out the most. Especially the scene where they pull the lady out from under the bed and all she does is scream
Flag
The monkey doll face from The River was crazy scary!
Flag
This is a really tough one for me - it's hard to chose just one or two scenes. Usually you have to see the full episode (or even the entire series) to understand the level of fear it induces.
However, I've gone with the one show that has had the most impact on me personally. I was around 9 years old the first time I watched Twin Peaks and the entire series had such a significant impact on me, I'll never forget it. It was both beautiful and absolutely terrifying - but the biggest reason I chose scenes from Twin Peaks - it was psychological terror!!! And that's what really sets it apart for me.
Sure, American Horror Story is absolutely brilliant when it comes to really scary, disgusting imagery - but for me, it's usually the psychological stuff that I find truly disturbing. Although that kind of stop-motion filming (like how Moloch moves in Sleepy Hollow) or moving really fast in reverse always manages to give me the creeps. Supernatural had some great ones like that.

But Twin Peaks just really stands out in that "psychological fear" category. These scene on their own - aren't even scary - especially when I watch them now. But back then? 😱😱😱

This show was so unsettling and so brilliant, that listing anything other than would just be unfair.

More+
Flag
Oh yes, Twin Peaks, one of my all time favourite series. But they did not scare me, it was more unsettling (and this is where my knowledge of the English language comes short as a non native speaker).

It's always good to see Carel Struycken every once and a while, we have so few Dutch actors that made it in Hollywood. I met him once when he was walking in a park here in the neighbourhood. He is really a nice guy.
Flag
That's why I pointed out that it's more psychological rather then just outright scary. Unsettling is the prefect word for it!
Plus I was 9 years old and Bob was freaky. So was Leland. Lol
Twin Peaks started my love affair with television and it had a significant impact on my life.
Yes Carel is awesome. Did you really meet him? I guess he'd be hard to miss in a park, right? How tall is he in real life?
Flag
Carel is really tall and indeed, you can't miss him (at least if you know him). He also has that very recognisable face. We had a quick word, he is really a nice guy. He was walking on crutches and probably went to Holland to quietly be able to recover and be helped by family.
Flag
I was about to say - you won't be alone...and I look down and there is Bonobo! I think you'll be getting a ton of agreement on that choice!
Flag
Yeah and the beautiful thing about Twin Peaks is that it had an equal level of comedy, drama, romance, quirkiness and epicness. Just talking about it makes me want to go re-watch the whole thing.
Btw, "Home" was absolutely terrifying and soooo disturbing - great choice. Oh and I love the Dharma-inspired intro - I didn't know those were actually you videos. :D
Flag
Yeah - I made the Almost Human Car vid, Yolanda, and then this one. Used to do it for L O S T until ABC started pressuring YT to take them down. I still have a few up there. Room 23 was a blog a bunch of us from AICN started after season 3. I would experiment with videos. Picked it back up a few weeks ago. Kinda enjoying it. Working on one now: Ichabod Crane's Culture Shock
You can guess the clips I am looking for!
Flag
You are really good at it. Keep it up! Oh yes, Ichabods culture shocks are the best thing about Sleepy Hollow. Actually, Ichabod is pretty damn near perfect character all round.
Flag
Oh - and Fringe. The Season 1 Walter vid I sent you was one I did.
Flag
Sorry.
*your
Flag
OMG! Totally. There were some brilliant scary moments in Twin Peaks the first time around. Bob climbing over that bloody sofa gave me the creeps for months!
Flag
Yes! Me too. Bob was a regular guest star in my nightmares for years.
Flag
For me,you just mentioned the scariest moment on TV,The X-Files 'Home' episode.Still holds up as the scariest and unforgettable hour of television.There are so many scary moments from Walking Dead,Supernatural,American Horror Story,Helix,Original Kolchak the Nightstalker,Twilight Zone,Night Galley and Outer Limits but X-Files will always be the scariest series on television,they really pushed the envelope.
Flag
I am marathoning TWD. Took a bit to get invested in it (I dislike zombie stuff). It actually reminds me a bit of L O S T - Live together, die alone concept. I has some moments I just have to look away. They do a lot of the "creeping up behind you" stuff that just chills me.
Flag
The Walking Dead is more gore fest then scary, in my opinion. But yeah that's a huge compliment that you're comparing it to LOST. I think that's what the writers are/were going for. Just don't expect LOST-level character or story development from TWD.
Flag
Oh believe me! Never. Unless they cast Michael Emerson and Henry Ian Cusick, no one is engaging enough to root for (or love to hate like Ben). That's the thing. The only guy I like is Daryl. Maybe Glenn. The rest is kinda the degree they annoy me the least.
Flag
Yep, that's pretty much it.
Flag
check your messages
Flag
Got it Vicki!! Thank you!
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW