An emotional response is the gold ring television reaches for. They seldom succeed, but the times that they do are ingrained in our memories. Nothing stimulates the remembrance of a television scene like something that has bonded to us emotionally. Well, maybe smell…but since scratch and sniff television is not within current technology, we will have to go with a more abstract angle.

Happiness? We have all let out a little cheer when the good guys win. Or the bad guys. I guess it depends on how we view the characters. Laughter? We already covered some of the funniest moments with Funniest Moment in Sci-Fi/Genre Televison. Most frightening? Right here (The Scariest Moment in Television History) . And if you missed it – here you will find the discussion on The Most Romantic Moment in SciFi TV with the click of a mouse. But IMHO, what cements a scene in to our psyche…what stays fresh in our hearts and thereby stimulates our minds to always remember – are the scenes that make us cry. When what we see and feel goes from our brains to our heart…then to our souls – we do not ever forget what we have witnessed. I think what makes scenes like this so very impactful is that, without loving (not liking, loving) the characters involved in such a scene – it will not have the kind of impact that brings tears. You can feel for the character that dies…but unless you care for the characters that are still living – it doesn’t pack too much of a punch. Normally, a death scene should be emotional. But when TV gets it wrong, we sometimes give a “whoop whoop” when a character dies. I am thinking most recently when Danny was killed on Revolution. The only thing that could have improved that scene was killing Charlie along with him. Now, I give a mea culpa on that now – because over the course of this season, I have grown to like Charlie a lot. If she were to die in her mom’s arms this season, I am not sure I wouldn’t be affected. But that brings me to another component that seems to have a huge influence in the “water works”.

Anger. When you mix the sadness of an event with the anger that it is unjust or untimely… at least for this guy the freaking faucet turns on. It is a simple formula for me: Love + Injustice + Loss = Wailing. The hard thing about sharing these moments with others is that – if part of that equation is missing, it is doubtful you will be angry and/or sad enough to cry. You could be one or the other and it could be enough to bring a tear…but that emotional cascade is unlikely to be really memorable. Or not. We all feel so subjectively different it is really hard to pinpoint. So when someone shares the feeling with you regarding a scene, I have found you share a closeness you never had before. I digress, my point is, when it happens…it really happens. And if it is shared – all the more.

And then are the happy tears - which really should be (and WILL be) a whole different article because those are such different television moments. So let us save that one for next time, shall we? Let’s be specific here and go with those heart-wrenching moments that make you bare your soul through the tears from your eyes. Again – as with all these Discussions I have written, I ask you to provide a clip if at all possible. I know getting clips can be tough, especially considering the arcane copyright laws regarding creating clips from current shows. Do what you can. Some networks are more anal than others. But even better (in my feeble mind) would be if you can paint a picture through your words of what happened and why we should we care. Those that agree with you, well, tears might be easy. But if a person sheds that tear from simply seeing or reading about a scene you offer – well, I think that person may be checking out that show in the very near future. Nothing can bring us closer, to anything more… than a good cry.

Thank you Vicky for this amazing idea for one of my silly “adjective discussion articles”. It is a wonderful idea and… look… I have something in my eye….

As for my own examples, I don’t even have to search my addled brain by just concentrating on favorite shows. The first, well it is a favorite show now. I have been "marathoning" it over the last two weeks. I watched most of the 1st season when it aired, but then life got in the way and I had missed the rest. The only shows that I fell in love with this fast were Sleepy Hollow, Fringe, and Farscape. Being this is a Rockne O’Bannon show – it kind of makes sense. I got dust in my eye last night watching this. But make no mistake, that same dust appeared again as I edited the video clip:

The next is the other O’Bannon show and my favorite TV ever. But I am not playing favorites. My love for the show in general would not had me in tears. It was that love for the two characters + the injustice of such an awful end + the anger that they could never seem to have their love remove them from the evil of the universe and, of course, = a heart-wrenching loss:

Now. Break out the tissues and suck it up, gang. We need your moments that triggered your heart and your soul and made your eyes spring a leak! And remember – we will do those tear-inducing HAPPY moments next time.

You rock Vicky.

- Edshrinker

Just ADDED! Go to the POLL:
POLL: TV that made you cry
224 Comments
Comments (224)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
What makes your choices here all the more interesting is that Jinx doesn't stay dead and John's twin is still alive and kicking. It doesn't lesson the scenes either and how they handled Jinx's resurrection I have no issue with. But Farscape actually creates two other scenario's which are filled with such emotion. Aeryn's death, even if temporary, you really had no idea it was such and than Zhaan's sacrifice.

I am going old school here, and I cannot say I cried, because I can get sad but never really cried at TV. But one sad day, in the drama/comedy known as MASH, the death of Henry Blake, it was sudden and unexpected and part of his journey home from the war. (Incidentally i was 2 years old when his last episode aired, but I have always enjoyed reruns of MASH)

I cannot think of any other examples right now, but my brain is fried.
Flag
I just thought of another scene. Jadzia Dax death at the end of season 6 of Deep Space Nine.
Flag
Ghost whisperer - Jim dying. And the episode before it (I think) where some girls had been switched at birth.....and many other moments...

LOST - Boone's death, also Jin and Sun's. The finale. Also many other moments...

Warehouse 13 - the perfect scene in this post.

Supernatural - Dean telling Sam about his time in hell...also Swan song.

TVD - Rose's and Jenna's deaths.

Arrow - Tommy's death.

Fringe, 24, Breaking bad, Scrubs, and Im sure Im forgetting some :\

Flag
You cry baby!

LOL. I am kidding. Most of those got me too!
Flag
How could I forget about Spartacus ;_;
Flag
So much, but I will honestly say for a comedy, I have cried or at the very least gotten emotion more times than I am willing to admit during HIMYM, maybe not so much in the earlier days except Lily leaving Marshall, but Marshall's Dads death and the aftermath, Symphony of Illumination, 45 days, Ted getting left at the alter and La Vie en Rose all made me very sad.
Flag
Marshall's dad dying is a very popular choice.
Flag
Very much deserved.
Flag
bones 6x22 death of vincent? I remembered i cried a lot with that episode (an d i just saw that in the latest episode they add a memorial to the wall to him)
Flag

BANG.
Flag
ER: death of dr Mark Greene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6wxXs0aQhE
Flag
Oh YES! River Song was with him all through that. So awful. (Like my cross-genre reference?)
Flag
Not sure if anyone saw the episode of Believe last night, but the mother/son reunion really choked me up.
Flag
Data's daughter dying in ST:TNG
The end of BSG
The end of Fringe
Flag
God I miss Walter! Henry Parrish (Jeremy/War) is now a ful-time character on Sleepy Hollow - but nothing will replace Walter Bishop!
Flag
There's so many to choose from:

Buffy: The Body, I think I cried from beginning to end
Buffy: When Buffy killed Angel
Buffy: When Buffy died in season 5

Charmed: When Chris died - even though they still had a chance to save him later

Sherlock: When Sherlock died

Game of Thrones: Ned's death

Person of Interest: Fusco saying goodbye to his son - I practically wailed :-(

Teen Wolf: Allison's death

Castle: The episode when Ryan and Esposito were in the burning house and Ryan talked to his wife over the phone thinking he was dying and would never see his child.

West Wing: When Josh got shot

Chuck: Chuck's perfect proposal to Sarah and their wedding wows
Chuck: Their rehersal dinner where Sarah got poisoned

Fringe: Peter coming towards Olivia in season 4 after finding out that she's his Olivia.

Friends: Chandler proposing to Monica

I admit it. I cry a lot when watching tv or films. But I also laugh a lot so that makes it even in my mind

Flag
admit it. I cry a lot when watching tv or films. But I also laugh a lot so that makes it even in my mind

When I care about characters - I am exactly the same. Many of your choices were popular ones! Nice work. Some of those were "Happy" tears, but that's nitpicking.
Flag
The last 10 minutes of Six Feet Under Six Feet Under- Everyone´s waiting and Saving Grace
Flag
That's about the 5th time I have heard that mentioned. I need to look up that clip.
Flag
i cried so much in earlier seasons of Grays anatomy
Flag
YOu sure Katherine Heigl just wasn't being mean to you? j/k All I know about that show is the Funny spoof Supernatural did (Dr. Sexy) and that Heigl was a real B word.
Flag
haha i had totally forgotten bout the spoof from supernatural. just watched the clip on youtube and had a good laugh.

Heigl was actually pretty awesome in the Grays until the last 2 season she was in. plus shes hot.. she just always say the wrong things in interviews.. the storylines in earlier seasons of grays were pretty compelling and really touches the heart..

sorry i got lazy and didnt read you article. only just briefly glance through it. Not sure if my response fit the your question..
Flag
Close enough, Jean. Those were great examples regardless.
Flag
In Doctor Who, Amy's and Rory's last chapter...."The Angels take Manhattan"
Flag
Ooooh! Good One. There has been a lot of mentions of Rose...I may have overlooked that one, but I think you are the 1st to mention that. That was some incredible acting.
Flag
Top Gear, when they were showing the Porsche 918 :P
Flag
HAPPY TEARS! Doesn't count! Or were they sad tears you don't have one? LOL
Flag
:) A mix of the two, I guess. Like watching a tasty cake through a glass vitrine and not being able to get one.

Strangely, this reminds me of a sad TV scene:
Spartacus Blood and Sand - Spartacus being reunited with his wife, only to... well, let's not spoil it too much. Emotional scene, backed up with a beautiful music.
Flag
That's what got me in that Warehouse 13 scence. They had that heart ripping music cued perfectly in the scene...and I get teary every time I even think of it.
Flag

Prison Break ending when they go to Michaels's grave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guQw_BtDmwQ

In recent memory it was the scene when Klaus and Stefan daggered Rebekah on TVD (Laugh at the girl who loved too easily) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYJUXKtYG7I

And on Game of thrones when Danny sees Khal Drogo and their son
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaB4-kZgNoc

Flag
YOu know you just have to hit the VIDEO button on the tool bar and insert that link or the EMBED code (It is displayed when you choose "Share" on YouTube) and the videos will embed in this discussion
Flag
I don't watch the latter to, although GoT has a lot of mentions. The Prison Break one is one of the 1st that popped in to my mind. That was a fitting end. Very sad.
Flag
A list like this begins and ends with the series finale of M.A.S.H.
Flag
We talked a bit about the Henry Blake death too. But I cannot argue with that.
Flag
Well, I have a new one now. The Good Wife - won't say more as some may not have watched the latest ep yet but I'm thinking this will be remembered for a long time.
Flag
Lost - When Juliet and Sawyer remember. It always gets me :D
Flag
You are right! But for me, those were happy tears. When Juliet fell into the missile silo, slipping out of Sawyer's grasp. THOSE were sad tears.
Flag
Ianto's death, Ten doctor's death (Donna's ending made me angrier than sad). And Dean Winchester's tears had made me cry more than once. Oh! And the Bones episode about the mathematician's daughter...the last scene with the father and Bones reading formulae in the board was so touching.
Flag
Before I begin, this post contains a TEEN WOLF SPOILER at the end (after the Lost clip). I suppose this entire topic's a bit spoilerly, but I figured it'd be best to warn anyone who might not be up to date :)

Anyway, when thinking about what to post, the very first thing that sprung to mind is (of course) any Joss Whedon show. God, does that guy have a knack for making me cry.
I remember being in tears by the time Buffy says "mommy"...which is only 45 seconds into the episode.

Those final words: "Why can't I stay?". Just devastating.

Another show that has a knack for ripping out my heart: Doctor Who
Would have posted the final Amy/Rory scene in the cemetery but couldn't find it. This'll do though, it's all a bit sad anyway.

Of the MANY deaths on Lost, Charlie's hurt the most :(

Still recovering from Allison's death :(

Also, honorably mentions go out to Battlestar Galactica, Torchwood, Firefly/Serenity, Sherlock, Breaking Bad, Supernatural, Warehouse 13, Fringe, House, Joan of Arcadia (remember that time Judith died? I can't really either, but if I am remembering correctly, I'm pretty sure I was sad) and probably a bunch of others that I'm forgetting right now.
More+
Flag
Monica Potter fighting cancer in Parenthood, that scene when her husband for the first time realizes that he's hopelessly incapable of easing her pain.
Flag
Fringe- "White Tulip"
Flag
Ah. The Swan!
Flag
: D
Flag
No Spartacus? So many sad moments there!
Flag
Well - There is now! Throw a clip up if you have a good one.
Flag
Buffy. 516 - The Body. The death of Joyce didn't bother me nearly as much as Anya not being able to understand or express why she feels the way she does about her death. I have never seen anything like that on anything before and it touched on feelings I didn't ever know I had. Fred's death on Angel put a fairly large lump in my throat as well.
Flag
When Warrick was killed on CSI. );
Flag
For me - Red Wedding and then Carter's death in POI
Flag
Very popular choices. Add them in the poll.
Flag
Ok, I don't cry for things that happen in my life. When I need to cry, I watch something (a movie or a Tv show) that I know it's going to make me cry. I know this is weird, but...
Anyway, Lost always is a good place. When Charlie dies, when Boone dies. When Jack is saying goodbye to Sawyer and he tells Jack that he met his dad at the bar. Pretty much the last 10 minutes of the last episode I just sit and cry non stop.
Buffy - The Body. That episode is a masterpiece. Also second season finale, Buffy "killing" Angel.
BSG: when Laura dies (sad), when it's discovered that Starbucks is an angel (anger...)
I didn't cry with Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead.
Flag
Ah, and Game of Thrones' BLOODY RED FUCKING WEDDING. Well, it didn't make me cry (I had already read the books) but I really wanted to die. Shocked as hell!
Flag
One Tree Hill's penultimate episode was mortally insane. Also, Grey's Anatomy gets to me every single time I re-watch the second season finale. Lost got its moments as well. And Fringe. I think I might cry a little too much.
Flag
HA! Not possible. It is a function of the soul and immensely cleanzing.
Flag
There are a lot of sad moment in history of television and the worst of it it's even if you already watched it and even if you know things are not so bad as it seemed you always end up with somthing in your eyes!!!!
Flag
Dust. Just dust. Or allergies.
Flag
There were many in Fringe like when when peter's and olivia's daughter dies and when walter goes with the obesrver kid in future and peter gets tulip at the end of final episode there were manyyyyyy moments
Flag
The final of cowboy bebop, the first episode of touch
Flag
When Rita died. When LaGuerta died and Deb started hugging her dead body and crying over it. When Lumen left Dexter. Mostly, when Dexter slit Brian's throat and screamed in Agony. Season 1 was, undeniably, the best and was likely to cause the most amount of impact over the viewers. To see different sides to Dexter was always the most fun and riveting.

When Thirteen told House about killing her brother and his consequent inability to speak (thought completely misinterpreted by Thirteen.) When Alison told Chase she would get rid of her dead husband's sperm and started to cry. Worst was when James took Amber off of life-support.

When Jane died. Jesse's fantasy where he was feeling his cheek against the smooth wooden box he made and then the scene switching to reality showing Jesse shackled in the same math lab he was held a year back. When Andrea died. MY GOD, when Hank died. Don't know how I didn't see that one coming. When Gus Fring died. That scene was just so epic I couldn't hold back my tears. Breaking Bad is truly the best one of all things I've watched.

When Rachel went off to the Prom and Ross watched, all prepared to ask her. When Monica proposed to Chandler. When Phoebe had the triplets and held them in her arms. When Rachel didn't catch the flight and came back for Ross. When Chandler told Monica the birth mother said yes to them becoming the adoptive couple.

More+
Flag
I guess BB numbed me - I never cried. But the other 2...fantastic. I didn't cry with Dexter because I feel the anger in him, not the sadness. He is a high functioning sociopath - and it is hard to empathy and FEEL his pain. But I loved Rita. Ok. I love Julie Benz (especially in naughty pigtails). Her deathe was more shocking than sad, but I was feeling it building. Had Dexter actually cried...I think I would have two.

But 3 AWESOME examples.
Flag

Susan Ivanova - "I Am Death Incarnate"

Flag
That made you cry! I gave a FUCK Yeah! But...nice cause I have the Fuck Yeah Discussion coming ;-p
Flag
So many B5 moments for that ......
Flag
I added a POLL based on the most popular responses:

POLL - Shows that made you cry
Flag
I've read all the comments - I don't believe this was mentioned. YOu have to remember it AT THE TIME - because we all know he came back to the show.

Flag
It's happened many a time - not because I'm a classic tear jerker, but simply because I watch A LOT of shows - but recently it was Alison's death on Teen Wolf. Absolutely gutted me.
Flag
I think the clip is down here somewhere. That has been a popular one.
Flag
For me, it would always be the 1000 year old baby vampire letting go of his 3000 year old father, brother and son.

Flag
Poll added! Check the bottom of the Discussion article
Flag
I'll look at the flowers (Damn it, Lizzie!)!
Flag
Did you feel a small pinch at the back of your head?

Might want to check ;-p
Flag
nah you wanna see sad.. try Hughes death in Fullmetal ALchemist.... then even worse, his funeral (and his daughters reaction during it) was far worse. thats the part that broke me.
Flag
Buffy "The Body" When Buffy tells Dawn that their mother is dead and when Anya doesn't understand why Joyce doesn't get back up. When Tara get's shot and again when Willow finally breaks down and cries over Tara's death.

POI when Carter dies.

Doctor Who when he has to wipe Donna's memory.

SG1 When Dr Fraiser dies.

Totally agree on the Warehouse 13 choice.
Flag
It seems there aren't a whole lot of Warehouse 13 fans here. But I am in love with the show. In a matter of 2 weeks I am nearly caught up - and have come to love these characters so much (helps I act a lot like Eddie McClintok) that I literally bawled as I edited the video. Something about that song.

All your other choices have been popular choices, so those seem to really be the top ones. I may slip a poll in soon - I am curious what the top choice is now.

This will probably be blocked because, well, it's YouTube:

Flag
*sob* Carter *sob*
Flag
Flag

Kutner death Kutner's funeral in 'House' (and for some reason Taub's behavior... Trying to drown himself in work and almost immediately after solving the case, he breaks down in tears) got me so hard...

The Red Wedding...

'Misfits' had an underwhelming 4th season, but Curtis' death was probably the most depressing thing the whole series provided (with the weirdest 'zombie' plot I've seen). Curtis gets some bonus points because he was the last of the original cast.

All of the above caused me to weep some manly tears but nothing really prepared me for this (and I know this is out of place, sorry)

Manly tears? Nope. I was crying like a baby who had lost his pacifier.
Flag
Flag
when carter died on person of interest until the end of the episode I was crying the whole time
Flag
The barn scene in itself didn't make me cry, Carol and Carl crying on someone else's arms did.

Damn you Grimes!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Thats tough, I no doubt could create a massive list over the years but here are a few that come immediately to mind:

1. Dexter - Deb dying and the reaction Joey had to her death

2. Walking Dead - when Carol's daughter walks out of the barn as a zombie and Carol races towards her and collapses in Daryl's arms

3. Buffy - when Willow stops being evil Willow and finally cries over Tara's death

Character's deaths don't hit me as hard as the reactions of their family/friends - that's what does me in every time. If someone is crying or obviously destroyed over a lost friend or relative, I'm crying with them. If they are fine with it, I'm usually dry eyed. :)
Flag
The Buffy one with Xander and Willow was so emotional - but those were happy teats.

TWD that made me really sad was Dale's death
Flag
No, I disagree, they weren't happy tears. That was the moment where Willow's anger faded and she finally started to grieve Tara's death. That was pure anguish in that scene when her hair turned back to red and she collapses crying in Xander's arms.
Flag
Flag
I stand corrected. You are right as I think about it - she was accepting her beloved's death. That isn't a happy thing. And I didn't have "teats". Damn these fingers.
Flag
Way too many Breaking Bad moments for sure.
Flag
Maybe sad, terrible moments. But that made you cry?
Flag
Oh yes definitely. Especially the final scene.
Flag
Flag
You really put us through the wringer this time! I agree with most of the examples, but I'll only mention those few that haunt me to this day:
~Charlie's hand on the other side of the glass on Lost
~Dee blowing her brains out after a perfect day on BSG
~Donna on Doctor Who after her memory wipe since she forgot how remarkable she became
~Ianto dying in Captain Jack's arms
~And so many many moments on Fringe
Flag
Ooh. The Ianto one! Nice. That hurt.

I think someone mentioned Chaaalie (still in love with Claire) and his finest moment. That was heartbreaking. Boone dying was tough too. But the one that really got some tears was this:

Flag

Here. This should cover it ;-p

Flag
Flag
The ending of Chuck, on the beach, fuckin kills me. And the 3rd season finale when Chucks dad died. Also, like every single episode of Parenthood. Fringe's The Bullet that Saved the World, when Etta was killed that was killer. The Swan Song episode of Supernatural.
Flag
Both of your choices made me sob like a baby. Also, day 4 of the 3rd season of Torchwood. Poor Ianto. And, of course, Firefly: The Message.
Flag
The Warehouse one was just so recent. There was something about the song that was playing that puts me over the edge.
Flag
Flag
Three Doctor Who episodes make me ball every time. The first is Rose's last episode, when she decides to stay with the Doctor in this universe and never see her family again, but things don't go according to plan and she ends up sealed in the other universe instead. I start crying the instant that happens, and she angrily bangs on the wall on her end while the Doctor leans against the wall on his. Then I start crying again when he burns up a sun to say goodbye to her in Bad Wolf Bay, and she says she loves him, but his reply is cut off, and then it cuts to his face and there are tears in his eyes.

The other episode is the one in which Donna has to have all of her memories of the Doctor erased in order to live. I always thought she had the saddest story compared to all of the other companions, Wow, the fact that she can never be allowed to remember her best friend, her adventures, or what a hero she is! It's terrible to watch her regress back into her old self who gabs inanely with her friends and misses alien attacks due to hangovers.

The third is, of course, David Tennant's final episode. Oh my god, I just start getting upset the second stupid Bernard knocks three times! And then there's that endless goodbye circuit he does, with the last step being to say goodbye to a pre-Doctor Rose. Gah!

Oh man, there are tons of Doctor Who episodes, now that I think about it. Like the one in which Rose meets her father on the day he died. Or The Doctor's Daughter. I don't know if I actually cry on other episodes, but damn do a bunch of them pull HARD at your heartstrings.
More+
Flag
Flag
The ending of Channel 4's Red Riding Trilogy when Hazel gets freed such a cathartic moment.

and the one that got away.

Flag
Now that's one only a few of us will have seen but it was dramatic, I give you that.
Flag
Zukho's redemption in Avatar: The last airbender.

Flag
Flag
Family Guy was mentioned too. Brian dying proved to me cartoons can make me cry.

Actually, any dog dying makes me cry.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Topic
Members