Update 9/11
In an effort to keep on top of series, I first watched The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I quite enjoyed it, but felt that the girl playing Sabrina was often a bit flat in terms of any emotion. I'll watch season 2, but I'm not sure whether I'd actively recommend it to anyone. It's fine. Next was Collateral, a 4 part British crime drama. There were a couple of side-plots with a priest and MP that I would have cut as they added nothing to the story and just seemed to be there to promote a certain agenda. But, other than that, it was enjoyable. Lastly, I saw Rellik. This is another British crime drama, but takes place backwards (hence the title). It was done very well and I soon took the backward time jumps in my stride. I'd definitely recommend it.

Update 25/10
The latest batch started with a couple of antipodean thrillers: Bite Club and Dead Lucky. I prefered Bite Club, which was centred around a serial killer, and would suggest giving it a go. Dead Lucky was OK and only had 4 episodes, but isn't something I'd recommend. I've also started watching Pine Gap, an Aussi drama set in the spy satellite base near Alice Springs. So far so good, but I'm not quite sure what it's main story is yet.
I then took a recommendation from @TrevPlatt and watched Marvel's Runaways, which I enjoyed. This was another origin story, which I tend to like more. So, we'll see what season 2 is like in a couple of months.
I decided to give the British drama Kiss Me First a go. It's largely set in a virtual reality game, so I thought it would be something different. It was OK, but quite run of the mill really and I'm not sure I quite understood everything. Oh well, probably not a recommendation.
I am now watching the Jim Carey "comedy", Kidding. It doesn't strike me as particularly funny (but then nor has anything I've seen him in), but it's quite short and a watchable light drama. It's not something I wouldn't recommend to anyone, though.

Update 13/10
Sharp Objects finally made it to the front of my queue. Very good, if somewhat disturbing. I'd recommend it. If you watch it, keep watching the end credits on the last episode, as there are important scenes included which confirm what happened.
For a change, I thought I'd catch up with three shows that were still airing. It turned out that I chose the worst one first, The CW's fantasy drama, The Outpost. It's now finished its first season and I probably wouldn't recommend it. It wasn't dreadful, but I felt the acting of a couple of the main characters wasn't great. Either that or it was the dialogue, I sometimes find it hard to tell which is the main problem. The use of green screens was quite obvious too. The actual story wasn't bad though. It has been renewed, so maybe they'll get a bigger budget for next year.
A Discovery of Witches is a British show based on a trilogy of novels and I am really enjoying it. I haven't read the books, so can't speak to the adaptation, but it seems to be done well and the acting is good. Although it's about witches, vampires and demons, there is (so far) very little visual effects used and few fights. But, the story is interesting, as are the characters. I would recommend this.
The last show, which is also good, is The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair, a US show on Epix, based on a novel. Basically, this is a murder mystery thriller, with a writer taking on the role of detective. This seems to be a 10 episode miniseries, which I'd recommend too.
Interestingly, all three of the shows I thought were good and would recommend were adapted from novels.

Update 27/9
I'm not a big fan of supernatural horror shows, but I thought I'd give the Indian Ghoul a go, as it was only 3 episodes. It was fine, but didn't change my mind about that genre. Next, I caught up with the second season of the British Harlots. This is quite a fun show and I enjoyed it, except for Liv Tyler. It's been renewed for another year, so I'm guessing that it will now focus on the younger generation. Next, it was back to teens with superpowers and The Innocents. This was a the British/Norwegian series with a good story, well done. If it's renewed, I'll defintitely watch again. I managed to catch up with the British Bodyguard in time for its finale. Even though it had a dip in episode 4 and some annoying plot holes. this was a really good thriller and I'd recommend it. Over to the US for the first time in this group, for Yellowstone. I enjoyed Kevin Costner in this (sort-of) western, it was a bit different. The only thing that bugged me was that there were a lot of scenes in vehicles and it was always obvious they were in a studio in front of a green screen. I'll certainly watch season 2. Lastly, I saw what looks to be the only season of Heathers. This was actually pretty good and made me laugh quite a bit throughout its run. The teacher meeting were particularly funny. I notice that it was partly written by some former tv.com writers (Price Peterson, Ryan Sandoval and Lily Sparks). It reminded me of Insatiable to some degree, but this was much better. I'd recommend giving it a go.
I've been watching The Purge and every episode it gets less interesting and the characters get more annoying. I think I'll stick with it for the rest of the season, just in case there's more to it.

Update 11/9
First up was Australian drama, Safe Harbour, about what happened at sea one night. There wasn't much to it really and being stretched over 4 episodes didn't help. A 2 hour movie would probably have been a better bet, but I probably wouldn't recommend it anyway. Next, an Indian crime drama, Sacred Games. This was quite interesting, as I haven't seen much set in India. Not a bad story, but it didn't end, so I hope it gets renewed. For some reason, I then thought I'd watch part 1 of The Bletchley Circle: San Francisco, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the original series. It was fine, but trying to link things back to Bletchley Park made it a bit daft really. I'd been waiting for Jack Ryan to come out since I'd heard it was in the pipeline and I wasn't disappointed. I'm a big Tom Clancy fan and I think they did a pretty good job. I'd like to see more of the characters (especially Clark) appear, but apparently there's some issue over rights. I've now finished season 2 of Ozark, which was very good still. Finally, I've caught up with Castle Rock. I'm not really a huge fan of Stephen King stuff and I'm not sure this is really for me, but it's OK.
I'm not particularly enjoying season 2 of Mr Mercedes. I might drop it.

Update 28/8
I recently saw the first season of Mr Mercedes, which I thought was very good. Just in time for s2. Next was the Australian drama, Mystery Road. I quite like stories set in the Outback, it makes a change from city locations. Apparently this was a spin-off from a movie of the same name, but I haven't seen that. The story was good and stand-alone, I didn't feel I was missing much. Next was s2 of Genius, which looked at Picasso's life. I knew very little about him, so this was more educational than entertaining. But, it was done well and kept me watching. I think I preferred Einstein's story, though. Next year it's Frankenstein's Mary Shelley's turn - 100 years earlier in England. Lastly, I saw the first season of Disenchantment. I've never watched any of these animated series before. It was fine and short. I'll probably watch s2, but it probably didn't appeal to me as much as it does to others.

Update 15/8
I eventually caught up with a British drama called Fearless. It was excellent, even though the explanation was a bit over the top. After that, I thought I'd go for something a bit lighter, so tried Insatiable. Although I didn't think the lead actress was the greatest ever, it started off OK. But, as it went on, I don't know whether they ran out of ideas, but it just got daft. Some people seem to love it, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. Finally, I watched a Norwegion drama called Nobel. Despite the title, it had very little to do with the awards, but it drew me in to the story, which I enjoyed. I'd certainly recommend it.

Update 8/8
A couple of shows I've been watching "live" have recently finished, Six and The 100. Six, now cancelled, was about Seal Team 6 and was nothing great, but I don't think it was as bad as some people made out. The 100 season finale made a good twist in order to reboot the show, which has given it a few more years. I really enjoy this show and is one of the few on The CW that I'm still watching.
I've caught up with and finished the first season of Succession, which I enjoyed. I'm not sure any of the characters are particularly nice, but the writers had a good story that fit well over the 10 episodes. It was described on this site as a comedy, but I didn't see that. There was some funny dialogue, but I thought it was purely a drama.

Update 30/7
I'm now up to date with Cloak & Dagger and ready for this week's finale. I've also just seen the first season of Ozark. I had it in mind that this was a foreign language show, but nope, American. I enjoyed this, it was a good story with enough twists to keep it interesting. Is there anyone who hasn't bretrayed Marty by this point? I'd probably have cut the FBI agent plot, it didn't go anywhere and I think detracted more than added to the plot. I'm also dubious that episode 8, which was entirely flashback, added that much. I'd also have made Charlotte 17, rather than 15, given the actress they cast. I confess I don't think I fully understood all the money laundering schemes and given the money was clean to start with, was there really a crime being committed? I see than season 2 is being realeased tomorrow, so bring it on.

Update 25/7
I've now seen the second (and probably last) season of the German drama You Are Wanted and Valor. You Are Wanted finished things off well, even if I didn't really understand everything that was going on. Although many people seem to have hated Valor, I quite enjoyed it. It certainly had its fair share of clichés and clunky dialogue, but the story worked pretty well and there didn't seem to be that much filler. In many ways, it reminded me of Quantico, but with better acting. The CW cancelled it after 13 episodes, but most things were tied up, so it didn't feel like a cliffhanger. It does seem an odd choice for that network.

Update 21/7
After some light relief with the first season of Con Man, I watched Waco, Damnation and Killing Eve. Waco was interesting, I have a vague memory of it happening, but didn't remember how it ended. I'm sure it was very fictionalised. I quite liked Damnation, but I'm not sure the central plot really made much sense. I couldn't see why they would want to break the strike. But, I see it got cancelled. I enjoyed Killing Eve and was pleased to see it'll be back. I've added those novels to my list of books to read.

Update 15/7
Had a bit of a Sci-fi catch-up and watched Altered Carbon, Dark and Expanse S3.

Update 3/7
I've now seen a French crime thriller called Glacé, a British drama called Hard Sun and The Crossing. Glacé was quite good, Hard Sun was OK. I really enjoyed The Crossing. I'm not a fan of one of the actresses, but other than that, I thought it was well written, with no real filler. It's a shame it doesn't look as if it's going to return.

Update 21/6
Finally got round to watching The Orville. I thought it was very Star Treky, but a bit to episodic with no consequences for me, but perfectly fine. I'll probably watch season 2. I also saw Bad Banks, a German series. I enjoyed that quite a lot, even if I didn't really understand all the investment banking waffle.

Update 17/6
I've now caught up with Krypton and Knightfall. They were both fine, but I probably wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I've just started watching the second season of Goliath, which I think I'm going to enjoy more. It, started off well, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this either. It was good, but quite dark.

---
I've been catching up on some series from the beginning of the year and recently watched The Oath and Burden of Truth. I thought both were quite good, but I'm far more forgiving with shows that only have 10 episodes.

The Oath is a serialised drama about cop gangs. It's on Crackle and has been renewed for a second season. Sean Bean is in it, but doesn't feature that much. Nothing outstanding, but quite enjoyable and it manages to keep the pace going.

Burden of Truth is a Canadian serialised drama starring Kristin Kreuk as a lawyer, but not much of it takes place in court. I won't say any more, except that it could easily have been based on a John Grisham novel. I enjoyed it and would probably suggest giving it a go. It could probably have been done in 8 episodes if some of the soapy plotlines were cut out, but it didn't feel as though it dragged too much. The most annoying thing for me is that in most episodes they liked to use musical montages, which I universally detest. But, I know many people like them. It will be shown in the US from the end of July.

I saw the first episode of Condor the other day, currently showing on Audience, This is based on the 1975 Robert Redford film, Three Days of the Condor, which I think is excellent. Apparently it's also taken some from the original book, too; I did read it, but it was years ago. I enjoyed the pilot, so will be continuing to watch this. Again, only 10 episodes.

I've also just watched the first episode of Impulse, a series about a girl who finds she can teleport. It's the first YouTube Premium show I've seen. I enjoyed the pilot, so will carry on with the remaining 9 episodes which are now all available.
Edit: I've now seen the whole season. The key thing to know is that it's about the girl, not about the teleporting ability. Most of the story focuses on what's going with her family and another one in their small town. Things may change in a second season, but this one is not for anybody expecting a superhero story. I still found it interesting, though, and hope it will return.

Do you have any opinions on these or recommendations for other shows to watch/avoid?
Comments (80)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oct 24, 2018
Watched Ep. 8 of The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair today, I can't wait for the last two episodes, it's been a very good show, although the finale could be the make-or-break of the season, it usually is for this kind of show.
Killing Eve was excellent, possibly the best show of the year! Fantastic cast, fantastic writing and it's sure to win a boat load of awards... deservedly!
Got about one and a half episodes into The Outpost and gave up. Two of the leads are terrible and I'm really not that intrigued by the story. There are too many shows out there to be spending time on this.
Also tried 9-1-1 and gave up on that after one episode, it was a cliche-fest.
Started Future Man, that's fun, good cast, interesting take on the time-travel premise.
A Discovery of Witches is at the top of my list, but with The Walking Dead, Supergirl, The Flash, Grey's Anatomy, Get Shorty, The Good Doctor, South Park, etc all restarting I'm not sure when I'll get to any other new shows yet. I've made a note of when it's no longer available on demand so I'll hopfully fit it in before then.
On top of that I've finally started the new season of Luke Cage, it's pretty good so far.
More+
Flag
Oct 29, 2018
I've now finally seen ep 8 of Harry, yes very good show.
I wasn't quite sure how the fact that her mother died meant that the whole theory of who killed her was wrong, though. Nola seems a bit loony tunes.
The other thing that I never really understood was why Nola first went to visit the Chief. It's not as if he was trolling schoolyards or anything. He was just sitting in his office.
Flag
Oct 29, 2018
She went to "visit" the Chief to stop him from using the note that was in the safe, I think!? Yeah, I was suspecting there was something fishy about the mother given that they never really show any of her on camera... and yeah, Lola is definitely a space cadet. Episode 9 tomorrow night!
Flag
Oct 30, 2018
That was this time's "visit". But the first time, there didn't seem to be any real reason. Yes, I wondered why we never saw the mother. And then forgot about it!
Flag
Sep 30, 2018
So, I moved on to Succession at last and I have to say it's a bit f*cking wierd. I'm not wrong in thinking it's a very dark, very dry comedy am I? Practically none of the characters are likeable which is usually a massive turn-off for me, but this show is great - I'm actually watching the last episode of season 1 as I write this! I think it's been renewed for a second season too.
I've also started watching The Good Cop on Netflix, which is good fun.
The highlight has probably been the first episode of Killing Eve. It was fantastic. I've got a few things to watch before they are removed from various on-demand services, but I'll be binge-watching the rest of this as soon as possible.
Saw the finale of Ghosted the other day and I'm left wondering if either a) the showrunner changed half way through the season or b) they literally ran out of money, because the second half of the season was terrible, I'm not suprised it was cancelled.
Next up: After binge-watching the hell out of Killing Eve will be The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair, maybe Future Man and I really need to catch up with Luke Cage, Iron Fist and GLOW, and I'm really intrigued by Maniac... that Netflix subscription is really paying off (I really want to watch 12 Monkeys and Hannible too, I started both of them years ago but I've never gotten around to finishing them).
I've just had a look for Heathers on Amazon but it's not there! I'll keep an eye out for it. I've got The Purge on my list but I haven't gotten to it yet, I might not bother now! Harlots has been on my list for a while, I'll move it up if it's good. I didn't realise Liv Tyler was in it, I like her so that's a plus point. I'll definitely check out The Innocents (Netflix again), but I'll probably wait until after I've watched Cloak and Dagger which looks very good - the pilot certainly was.
More+
Flag
Oct 02, 2018
Yes, Succession is a bit, but I quite liked it too. Definitely a comedy, but very, dark.
Killing Eve was excellent. I'm looking forward to s2.
Harry Quebert is in the current batch I'm intending to go through. I've seen the first episode of The Outpost and wasn't sure what to make of it. It reminded me of The Shanara Chronicles in many ways. So I'll give it a few more episodes and see if it grows on me.
I'm quite behind with the Netflix marvel shows, but I'm not necessarily that into superhero shows, so it annoys me that they all seem to have about 6 episodes worth of plot stretched over double that. But, some people obviously love them.
I've never seen GLOW. I did watch the first (I want to say 3) series of 12 Monkeys, but it all got a bit weird with red trees or something and I gave up trying to follow what was going on.
I certainly wouldn't recommend that anybody watches The Purge, unless it gets a lot better.
Yeah, Harlots is done quite well, very Ripper Street era. Acting's good I'd say. Liv Tyler is only in the 2nd season. Cloak & Dagger was good, but I would have preferred it to get moving on the stories a bit quicker.
More +
Flag
Sep 14, 2018
So, some real hit's and misses lately... or more accurately, hit and misses...
First up was the first 15 minutes of SWAT, that was more than enough.
Second up was the first 25 minutes of For the People, that was more than enough (which was a bit of a shame because I quite like Britt Robertson, but to honest that's probably because The Secret Circle was a lot better than it had any right to be).
Then it was Reverie, I got through the 4 Episode Test, but realised the only reason I would watch Episode 5 is because of Sarah Shahi, which isn't really the best reason to continue watching a show that offers nothing else. It was a shame because the cast is pretty good.
Instinct was disappointing, I think I was expecting the new Castle, but this definitely isn't a Fillion show. I think it might do decent in the ratings, but I found it too generic and the writing is sloppy.
Finished watching season 1 of Dietland. Not really sure how to sum this up. I enjoyed it more at the beginning than the end. It started as a drama/comedy and finished firmly as a drama, but without the comedy to temper the message it just became a serious message. It wasn't a bad season of TV but I won't be watching season 2. It has a great cast and I like the way it's made, but I just can't take the almost preach-y, in-your-face moralising.
Started the 4 Episode Test for Sharp Objects and ended up binging the whole series. It was easily the best of the recent bunch. Well written, great cast, looks great and, best of all, it actually kept me guessing right up to the end, which is damned rare these days (SWAT, Instinct and Reverie all failed miserably at that). The murder mystery aspect was quite disappointing, but the character pieces were excellent.
So, yeah, mixed bag, but on the plus side, my list of shows hasn't gotten any longer (Sharp Objects was a limited series).
Next up: Succession, Outpost and 9-1-1 are in line for the 4 Episode Test and The Truth About the Harry Qubert Affair, Trust and Future Man have just started. Also, the Premier League, Formula 1 and the NFL are back. Not only that but September marks the start of the new TV season, so lots of returning shows to throw into the mix.
More+
Flag
Sep 15, 2018
Thanks, I think I looked at a lot of those and rejected them, so sounds like I made the right decision there then. I've still got Sharp Objects to watch, though. I hadn't realised it was a mini series.

I was also a fan of The Secret Circle and Sarah Shahi in POI.

Are you watching Bodyguard? I'm waiting for it to finish before I start.
I've the Harry Qubert thing to watch, too.
Flag
Sep 20, 2018
I've not started Bodyguard yet. I'm not usually a fan of British drama's to be honest, I find them all a bit too similar but this one is getting some rave reviews so I've added it to the list.
Flag
Aug 27, 2018
Currently watching Get Shorty, it's good, it's kind of like Breaking Bad meets Barry, but it works.
I've nearly finished Final Space on Netflix, it's not bad, I've seen better. It has a few laugh-out-loud moments and some heavy drama, but it's no BoJack Horseman or Archer.
Also started Great News, also on Netflix. I read a review that gave it 9/10 stating that "it's the spiritual successor to 30 Rock"... it isn't! There are obviously a lot of people behind the scenes that also worked on 30 Rock, you can't help but notice, especially with the score and sound effects, but Great News is certainly not at that level. It has some real laugh-out-loud moments and the cast is likeable so it is watchable, but it's not possible to binge watch this, it just gets to be a bit too much after a couple of episodes.
Insatiable is on my list but after I saw the pilot, it moved down that list. I've got Picnic At Hanging Rock next followed by 4 eps pf Sharp Objects, Succession, and Reverie. Instinct has just started so I'll probably pick that up too.
Flag
Aug 20, 2018
I had no idea you were coming back to post updates as I don't usually fully load the page. Just seen them all now. You have been a busy bee! :)

Just started Krypton out of desperation, will let you know what I think.
Flag
Aug 20, 2018
Ha ha, yeah, I thought I'd use this post as a sort of blog to keep track of what I'm watching. I had (and still have) a big backlog, but I think I'm just about watching it faster than I'm adding to it!

Did you watch all of Condor?

I've just started Genius (Picasso). On the second episode and so far so good.
Flag
Aug 20, 2018
Yes, I finished Condor and liked it. Not sure if there is supposed to be a S2 though.

I didn't bother with Picasso but thanks for the reminder. Keep me posted as I might try it out with so little to watch atm.

Krypton is great! I didn't think it would be for me but it's a good ensemble cast and the storytelling is quite well structured with good pacing. The characters are likeable too and there's a few nice twists such as Adam Strange realising he needs to work against Seg El. The love quandrangle is a nice touch too.
Flag
Aug 28, 2018
Have you finished the 2 seasons of Glitch?
Flag
Aug 28, 2018
Yup! Can't wait for S3. :)
Flag
Aug 28, 2018
Just finished Genius. Yeah, it was good, but probably not as interesting as Einstein's. For me, anyway. I treated as more educational. Bascially, he's an arrogant artist who gets drunk a lot and beds lots of women. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless someone was particularly interested in him and his work.
Flag
Aug 28, 2018
I'm not, thanks.
Flag
Aug 21, 2018
Yes, I saw Ozark a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really good. I've no idea who Laura Linney is though (other than the wife in this.

If you haven't seen all Krypton, this may be a bit spoilerish.
I thought the whole time travel thing was a bit pointless. I don't remember the details now, but I thought that if Adam wasn't there, nothing would have been different. And did it need to be Zod? If it was the mother's brother that she left to die when she was young, who had become a general in the resistance, wouldn't that have had the same effect? In fact, it would have given Zod a bit of back story, if his ancestor had done something similar.
It didn't ruin it for me, but it just felt a bit shoe-horned in and left me wondering why they bothered.
Flag
Aug 27, 2018
Just started Krypton, I've only seen the first episode so far and to be honest I was disappointed (the 2nd is on my DVR, it's only just started over here). It wan't the best pilot, it all just felt like it was dumbed down. A lot of sci-fi shows aimed at young adults seem to feel this need to talk to their narrow target audience as if they are children, which ends up excluding anyone outside that narrow target whilst patronising those that are in it. Granted I've only seen the pilot and there are plenty of shows that improve hugely once they know they've been picked up. I'm going to try to give this the 4 episodes and see how it goes from there. The cast is OK and it's looks pretty good. For some reason their payment system pissed me off, I think it was the fact that there was no way of knowing how much was being transferred, it just seemed poorly thought out, which made it suprising that they focused on it several times as if proud of it! What can I say, the little things bug me.
Flag
Aug 21, 2018
You're probably right about Adam Strange. I'm trying to think of something pivotal in his arc but nothing springs to mind.

The key thing which Zod brings that the brother couldn't, was how to get Val-El out of the Phantom Zone and Braniac in it. I think the brother is the one who finds Primus Jayna on the ground though.

Laura Linney highlights that I've seen include: Love Actually and The Life of David Gale which Kevin Spacey was in. The cancer show was The Big C and she also did Kinsey with Liam Neeson about the sex researcher from the 1940's/50's.
Flag
Aug 21, 2018
Condor has been renewed, and there's a few novels to base it on, so hopefully it'll stay good next year.

From what I can remember, I quite liked Krypton. I think I would have cut out Adam Strange and the whole time travel stuff though.
Flag
Aug 21, 2018
Didn't know there are more Condor novels, will tune in for S2 when it's released.

It's interesting you're not keen on the time travel element. I think It broadens the scope of the show and it's brought us General Zod. Colin Salmon is good in the role and does crackpot dictator very well.

I've found Ozark to watch. Laura Linney is a nice surprise. I haven't seen her in anything since a show she did about having cancer. Have you watched this?

Flag
Aug 12, 2018
Binging my way through Good Girls on Netflix, it's really good, my only criticism is that they never really seem to be in any tangible trouble, like the threat they face is not serious enough. But it's still fun and the cast is great so it's worth checking out.
Flag
Aug 18, 2018
I like Good Girls as well. I think it's renewed for a S2. Mathew Lilard finally looks like a grown-up. was a bit of a shock to see how he's aged.
Flag
Aug 27, 2018
You should see him in Bosch!
Flag
Aug 14, 2018
Thanks. I don't think I'd heard of this, so I'll check it out.
Flag
Jul 29, 2018
Watched the first three episodes of Stitchers yesterday, I'll probably catch the fourth today to finish off The Test, but I doubt it will pass. The three young leads are poor and the dialogue they have been given is worse. Salli Richardson-Whitfield is back to her wooden self (apart from a few spells on Eureka, I've never seen a particularly good performance from her) and these writers are yet another group failing to use Allison Scagliotti to her best.
I do like the premise but they even seem to have made a mess of that. Rather than really think about how it would fuction and the implications of it, they've just decided to knock together what they think is cool looking machinery and make up the rest as they go along. The lack of thought in the science probably wouldn't be a problem if they had a little fun with it, but they can't even seem to get that right (Scagliotti is the one with any comedic timing). Make it fun or make it thoughtful, hell, some shows can do both, but this one doesn't do either.
The Lead characters "affliction" and back story are also a mess. As for the "agency" in charge of the project, they went from having a significant number of agents to suddenly having none, the facility literally has noone guarding it. And don't get me started on the cliche riddled "geek squad" that works out all the science.
I keep reminding myself that it's an ABC Family/Freeform show so I should cut it some slack, but even comparing it some past shows for the network it doesn't hold up particularly well. This is the same network that currently brings the US Cloak & Dagger and Siren (they're on Amazon and SyFy over here). The writing is a massive let down for everyone involved and the casting has been poor. The creater, Jeff Schechter, seems to have only worked on kids shows in the past, maybe he's not up to creating something for an older audience? Part of me is wondering if the ABC Family to Freeform switch over has had an impact on the show. Can anyone tell me it's worth sticking it out for a significantly improved Season 2, or am I right to ditch it? It's only three seasons long and I think they are about 10 episodes a piece, but that's still 19 hours of TV that I could dedicate to something else. I suspect I'll ditch it and dedicate the time to finishing off Grimm!
More+
Flag
Jul 30, 2018
I've never seen Stitchers. I think it sounded a bit case-of-the-weekish to me when I read the 1 sentence description. But, given your comments, I think I probably made the right choice.
I've just finished Netflix's Ozark, which I'd recommend.
Flag
Aug 01, 2018
I've seen Ozark, loved it, can't wait for Season 2 and because it's on Netflix we all get it at the same time!
Watched the fourth episode of Stitchers, it was just as crap as the first three so I've canned it.
I'm finally watching the Scooby Do episode of Supernatural, 15 minutes in and it's f-ing hilarious!
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
Hey dhaworth, how goes it?
I've not seen many of those shows, but the one that stands out for me is The Orville, which I loved. I really enjoyed the effort they put into the sci-fi elements and the very obvious influence and love of Star Trek (which I'm not a huge fan of, but can certainly appreciate). But the effortless inclusion of simple humour to keep the whole thing grounded just works for me - maybe it's my sense of humour! And I love the cast.
I've seen the first episode of Damnation, I'm not a period drama fan so it wasn't for me. I also saw the first episode of The Crossing, it was intriguing enough for me to add it to my list for a later date - out of interest which actress are you "not a fan of"? I'm guessing Sandrine Holt, she can be a bit wooden!
I intend on watching Goliath and Altered Carbon at some point and, when they are available this side of the pond, I'll be watching Killing Eve and The Expanse [S3].

As for me, I'm at this very second binge-watching Legion [S2]. I love everything about the show, but at times I find myself completely at a loss with the plot, then a few scenes later it all falls into place, couple that with the creative editing and it's challenging to watch, but so far it's worth it. I'll be binge-watching Westworld [S2] after this.
I've also been watching ER [S5E4] (re-watch from the very beginning, one episode per weekday courtesy of CBS Drama) - it's brilliant, even now.
I finally got around to watching Grimm[S4E9]. It took some effort to get through the first half of season one but I knew it was the sort of show I'd like so I persevered, thankfully.
On the lighter side I've been really enjoying Life in Pieces[S2E8], they've got a fantastic cast, great chemistry and it's a really good laugh. I'm watching it one episode per week via Now TV, but I'm really trying hard to not binge-watch it on Amazon.
I’ve eventually gotten around to watching Atlanta [S2E5]. It's one of those show's that flitters from genius and mediocre and is ultimately somewhere in-between, but it’s certainly entertaining and some of the acting is excellent.
(Sort of*) Finally, I’ve seen the pilot for Picnic at Hanging Rock and wow was it weird! I can’t wait for episode two. It’s a kind of period Sci-fi set in Australia in the early 1900’s and follows the disappearance of three pupils from a girls boarding school and the subsequent investigation. Apparently it’s on Amazon in the US, but I don’t know if it’s been released there yet, it’s certainly worth keeping an eye out for.
*I could be here all day listing the shows I watch, but those are the ones that currently stand out for me, I’m also watching, amoung others, Outlander [S2E2], The Handmaids Tale [S2E7], Brockmire [S2E6], Stan Against Evil [S2E8], Agent’s of SHIELD [S5E21], Elementary [S6E8], Supernatural [S13! Wow E15], The Magicians [S3E4] and Black Sails [S1E6 – UK free-to-air premier]. I’m really wanting to watch Bosch [S4], Luke Cage [S2] and GLOW [S2].

More+
Flag
Jul 22, 2018
Hi, yeah, good thanks.

Yes, there's so much on, it's hard to keep up with it. and I'm sure I miss a lot of good stuff. I often end up making decisions based on the name of the show or a one sentence description, then later find out I'd probably have liked it. I've now dropped every series that had 20+ episodes and I doubt if I'll start watching another.

I've never seen Humans. I've had a look and it doesn't seem easy to find, but, I'll keep an eye out.
I really like Colony, but I've just seen that they've cancelled it :(
Not overly surprising, I don't think it had a lot of viewers. But, I thought it was a good character driven show, with sci-fi overtones and a decent story. Some of the children were a bit annoying though.

The Orville could easily have been a Star Trek series. I did like the humour, which wasn't overdone. I see from an article today that it was originally billed as a comedy, which is probably why I didn't watch it when it aired and have only recently got round to it. I'd have preferred it if it was less episodic, though. I don't really watch case-of-the-week type shows now and it felt weird watching this for that reason.
I have season 2 of Legion on my list to watch, but haven't got to it yet. I thought the first season was good, but all got a bit weird at the end. I'll be interested to know what you think of Westworld s2. I thought the first season was good, but I found season 2 quite boring. Others disagree, though.

I watched Grimm from the beginning and did stay until the end. It honestly wasn't that great, but I did quite like it - mainly because of Monroe, and later, Rosalee. If it had better writers, who could manage to write arcs, then it would have been a much better show.
I remember reading reviews of Picnic at Hanging Rock and most seemed to say that the original series (or maybe film, I forget) was much better. So I skipped it, but maybe I should have a look at it, then.
I never saw ER and probably never will. I haven't seen many of the other shows you mention. I watch and enjoy The Magicians and was a fan of Black Sails. I gave up on Agents of Shield.

There are very few shows that I'm watching on a weekly basis now. Mostly I wait until they've finished and binge watch them. Especially on the first season. I think Condor is the only frst season I'm watching as it airs. The ones I'm currently storing are Succession, Strange Angel, The Outpost and Yellowstone. I haven't seen any of them, so have no idea if they are any good or not. I think some of those are period, so probably not your thing.
More +
Flag
Jul 27, 2018
Monroe and Rosalee are definitely the best characters on Grimm. I'm ready for it to be over now, if for no other reason than to cross it off of my ridiculously long list. It's certainly no classic, I won't be looking back in 10-15 years wanting to watch it again, it has been entertaining though.
I wouldn't say Westworld S2 has been boring, but it wasn't as good as S1. I think it might fall into the Sci-fi trap of each season trying to be bigger and better than the previous one and subsequently losing what made it so great. It's still one of the best shows on TV though, each episode looked like a mini-movie and the acting was excellent.
Condor, Yellowstone and Strange Angel don't have a broadcaster over here yet (that I'm aware of). Condor looks interesting, when is it set? I'll probably give Strange Angel a shot, if I get the chance, not sure about Yellowstone though. Succession starts over here on 02/Aug and The Outpost on 10/Aug. Succession looks good and the cast is great, I saw a trailer for The Outpost and it didn't fill me with confidence, but I'll probably give it the good ol' "4 Episode Test".
More +
Flag
Jul 29, 2018
Condor is set in present day.
I'm not sure about The Outpost either, but, same as you, I thought I'd give it a go. It's only 10 episdoes.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
The Passage, Manifest and Castle Rock but they aren't airing for a while though.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Manifest could be good, I don't think the other 2 are for me, though.

Others that I'll give a go are:
Strange Angel
Yellowstone
Take Two
Sacred Games
Jack Ryan (definite)

Also, I see later this month, "Secret City" comes to Netflix, which is an Autralian political drama. I don't remember much about it, but I did enjoy it.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks. I'll look those up.

I decided to try Marvel's Cloak and Dagger today based off video on front page. I really liked it. It doesn't feel like the typical teen superhero show, so I'll stick with it for now. Two episodes are out.
Flag
Aug 18, 2018
On Succession, oh well, never mind, it's not the greatest thing ever.
Flag
Aug 09, 2018
Yes, I'd say it was worth it if you liked the ones you've watched.
Nobody is particularly nice, are they? But I quite enjoyed it. I didn't think it was a comedy, though, which is what the reviewer here called it.
Flag
Aug 18, 2018
I can't seem to get past Ep.5 of Succession, so unless I'm really desperate I probably won't go back to it.
Flag
Aug 09, 2018
Just watched Ep.5. I'll continue with it and let you know. it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I thought the tone of it would more like Dirty sexy Money or something. This is a bit more dark comedy.
Flag
Aug 08, 2018
Did you finish Succession? I just have.
Flag
Aug 08, 2018
No. I did about 4 or 5 episodes. Haven't had time to finish it. What;s your take, is it worth continuing?
Flag
Jul 24, 2018
I'm currently watching Valor. So when I get to the end of that, I think I'll do Cloak & Dagger. That will probably work out quite well, so I should be up to date for the finale.
Flag
Jul 24, 2018
I've started Succession for now.
Flag
Jul 22, 2018
I was trying not to add any more superhero shows, but it looks like I'll have to give this Cloak and Dagger a go.
Flag
Jul 24, 2018
Let us know what you think of it.
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
I've seen the first three episodes of Cloak & Dagger, it’s excellent. The opening sequence was enough to hook me. The Runaways has been very good too, although I’m not sure about the story arc for the parents. After watching the first three episodes of the truly awful The Gifted and the thankfully-only-season of the thoroughly mediocre Inhumans, it’s great to have two new shows that make up for their shortcomings.
Flag
Jul 22, 2018
Cloak & Dagger is a definite firm favourite now. I'm glad I tuned in. :)
Flag
Jul 01, 2018
Do you mean Natalie Martinez, the Apex woman who got separated from her daughter with blonde hair?
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
Ahh, that answers my question! She would have been my second guess!
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
That's odd, I didn't get a notofication for that.
Yes. I think she's terrible. However, despite her, I've now finished all 11 episodes and really enjoyed it, so thanks for the recommendation. One of the best shows I've seen in a while, I think. It's a shame it won't be coming back, but that tends to be what happens to shows I like.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Most of what I'm watching you already know. So I don't really have any new recommendations and lots of them are finishing too which is a bummer. Just finished The Crossing which I really enjoyed. It's a bit like The 4400 meets Columbo. Sadly it's not being renewed. The writers say it was written as complete one season show. Of course they introduced a couple threads and left them dangling in the finale, in case it was picked up for a second season.

Still loving Handmaids, very good.

I looked at the Summer previews and found a few things, so I'll list them in another comment.
Flag
Jul 15, 2018
I've now seen Dark and Expanse S3.
I thought Dark was good, and I THINK I got to grips with who was who in each time period. By the time s2 comes around, I'll have forgotten it all, so I have they do a really good "previously" lead-in.
That was a good season of Expanse. I was a bit sceptical with season 1, but I think each subsequent year has been better. I'm glad it got saved.

I think I'll try S1 of Con Man next. I haven't seen a comedy for a while.
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
I agree with The Expanse, I actually gave up after three episodes, but having read some glowing reviews for S2 I gave it another shot. I might need to give it a re-watch though, I'm not sure I've got everything straight in my head. I was a bit disappointed with what happened to Florence Faivre's character but she went on to play the sexy evil alien on Agent's of SHIELD so I guess it's OK...
What, am I the only one who thought she was hot?!
OK, I'll get my coat! ;)
Flag
Jul 22, 2018
I had to look up who that was, I know practically no actor names. But, yes, I agree. It was all built round her, then she was gone. I gave up Shield, so I don't think I saw her in that.
Flag
Jul 15, 2018
I've gone totally nuts for Dark and watched it twice over already. My favourite moment is when Jonas reads the letter from his father. It was so poignant and understated. I wish it had been more emotive rather than just an explanation though.

It's incredibly watchable and loaded with so much more material for another season or two and yet even with the finale cliffhanger, it didn't feel incomplete or lacking.

Something that didn't add up is why Ulrich's mum Jana didn't know 1986 Helge was 2019 Helge. Where was she, or he for that matter, for the last 33 years that their paths didn't cross in the small world of Winden? She mentions to Ulrich that she had recently seen a man, who she saw arguing  with a priest 33 yrs ago, and he hadn't aged. I thought she was referring to Helge unless it was meant to be older Jonas?

Do you think Noah is Bartosz?

I'd also like to know how the Doppler home transferred to Regina Tiedemann and became a hotel. Also, what happened to the Doppler wealth in general as 1986 Helge was living in the cabin and his father Bernd was still alive.

A rather refreshing character was Elisabeth Doppler. I loved her sass and it was so sad when Yasin went missing and turned up in 1953.

I don't think Ulrich is coming back from 1953. Anyway, they started filming season 2 last month. :)

I'll watch season 4 of The Expanse, certainly to begin with at any rate.
More +
Flag
Aug 14, 2018
In case you're interested, I've just noticed that one of the podcasts I sometimes listen to (mainly for Travelers) is rewatching Dark.
Flag
Aug 14, 2018
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jul 17, 2018
Oh, OK. I obviously misunderstood that scene with Jana then, I'm sure it wasn't the one!

I quite liked Altered Carbon. It was a bit different, with transferring personalities between 'sleeves'. I gather it was based on a novel, which doesn't surprise me. Apparently there's a sequel novel, so we'll see if they do that one too. For 10 episodes, it was fine.
I finished season 1 of Con Man, it's nice to be able to get through an entire season in 2 hours. Quite funny.

So, now I'm watching 'Waco'.
Flag
Jul 17, 2018
I think there's two more novels of Altered Carbon but no word as yet on a 2nd season. Critic reviews were mixed apparently and Netflix are still assessing viewer reaction.

I read somewhere that the time travel to different years occurs because Jonas turned right somewhere in the cave and Ulrich turned left. God knows! There's loads of stuff out there on Dark, it was a really popular show. :)

Flag
Jul 16, 2018
Wow you've seen it twice, I'm impressed! You must understand it a lot more than me.

I took it that Jana was talking about Jonas 2052.

Oh dear, you're going to make my head hurt! I didn't think Noah was Bartosz, but then I never gave any thought to who Noah was, other than himself. So he could be. I don't think we know which time he comes from. I don't think I realised it was him who had the back tattoo, which I see is something to do with the emerald tablet, which I've never heard of.
I read on one site that it was Noah's time travel device that tiggered the cave one, but that didn't make sense to me. The cave one seem to be up and running whenever anyone open the door.
But, I didn't really understand (at all actually) how the year they were transported to was chosen. To start with, I thought there were different doors for different years, mainly because the year appeared as a subtitle and I thought the latin lettering were numbers. But, I gather it's actually one door with the phrase "and thus the world was created" on, so don't know. Maybe it was controlled from the cellar.
I hadn't even realised that Regina's hotel was the Doppler's home! I'm not really sure where they got all their money in 1952. That wasn't long after the war. Maybe they sunk it all into the nuclear power plant. In real life, it looks like the first one didn't open until 1960.

Yes, Elizabeth was a great character and I was sad about Yasin
I defefinitely agree that a lot of thought has gone into it and seemed to be intended for multiple seasons.
More +
Flag
Jul 17, 2018
I looked at the Jana scene and she is definitely referring to Helge 1986. She mentions seeing a disfigured ear and the next scene is Helge at the bunker.

I only mention Noah and Bartoz as they are the best actor pairing for resemblance in the show really. One theory is that he's the pastor husband Agnes refers to in 1953.

Noah obviously has a time travel device but it hasn't appeared in the show as yet. All we see is the testing phase for his serial killer predilections. In the show, Noah reveals the paradox of older Jonas triggering the wormhole with the repaired device in 1986 after he leaves young Jonas in the bunker.

I'm not sure about the door and how it works. One time when Jonas went through, it appeared as though he opened it, went through but ended up in the same place he started. Then he finds it again and on the second opening he's through. If you imagine standing at your front door to go out and on the other side is the year 2020; when you open your front door you step back to where you were but in 2020 and then you open the door again to step outside. It's just that we don't see the difference because it's inside a cave. Well, that's what I'm telling myself for now anyway, lol!
Yes, the Dopplers invested in the power plant in 1953, question is, where did it all go by 1986. We might find out next season. I found some S2 filming pics and a script leak by an actor. They obviously aren't bothered about security like GoT.

IDK how the years work either. If the device can't control it, then I imagine it's something to do with the 33 year cycle constellations and energy or something.

How was Altered carbon?

More +
Flag
Jul 01, 2018
I've just watched the first episode of The Crossing, and it looks good. The only thing that put me off was that it has the police chief woman from Under The Dome, who I thought was a terrible actress. But, she hasn't said much so far.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm still with Marvel's Cloak and Dagger, also Condor now.  Just finished all seasons of The Expanse. It was originally on my watchlist but I didn't bother for some reason. Not sure if I would have stayed with it on a weekly basis though. The first two seasons were good, the 3rd a bit weaker.
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
Colony
Yes, it was good. I don't really understand what's going on, but that's OK.
Yes, Kines seems to be using his security guy to organise his own private army of outliers, without them knowing who they would be working for.
I don't know why. And I don't really understand Snyder's role or what his aim is.
It sounded if Will's meeting was going to be with the security guy.
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
I couldn't get on with Colony. If I remember correctly, none of the characters grabbed me and they were playing it a bit fast & loose with the cliches - which shouldn't have been necessary for such an all out sci-fi. Shame because the premise sounded interesting.
Flag
Jul 07, 2018
Snyder was sent on a fishing expedition by Helena to see how Seattle works as the Los Angelos bloc will be reopened.  After discovering the existence of the alien material and also that the outliers are not being stored as pods, Snyder wants to take of advantage of the situation as usual and move against Kynes.

Yeah, he probably will meet security guy and that's where things will get more interesting and probably more complicated too, lol!
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
Glad you liked Dark.
Funny you should say that. I've only seen the first one so far, because I then realised episodes 2-5 are dubbed and not subbed. So, I've put it on hold for a day or so, while I sort that out. Yes, I don't want to hear American voices!
I enjoyed the first episode .

So, in the meantime, I've been watching Altered Carbon, which I don't think you were a fan of.
Flag
Jul 06, 2018
Nah, Altered carbon didn't make the 4 episode cut. James Purefoy is always worth a watch but it was perhaps too weird or dark in tone. The main protagonist just wasn't someone i could get behind really.

Dark is really fab. The familial interconnectivity across time loops is well done.

What did you think of Colony btw? it made some good ground last episode with things getting clearer. Looks like maybe the Evert Kines guy is plotting an insurgency. That was the only thing I was slightly unclear about though, as the security guy seems like a plant in the underground movement.
Flag
Jul 03, 2018
I've still got series 3 of the Expanse to watch, I noticed that it's finished now, so I'll probably get round to it soon. Next for me is going to be Dark, some German series. Apparently also a bit Time Travelly.
I'm also watching Take Two, which is fine for what it is. Whether, I'll stay for all 13 episodes, I'm not sure, though. But, it seems completely case of the week, so it probably will make no difference where I stop, really.

Flag
Jul 06, 2018
I've just watched Dark and loved it. Thanks for that! So glad there will be a season 2 next year. Pity it's not sooner. :(

What version did you watch btw, subtitles or American voice-over? I preferred subtitles but had to watch one episode as a voice-over. Not the same.
Flag
Jul 04, 2018
Yes The Expanse is finished now. It was cancelled in May apparently but Amazon have picked it up now.

Dark looks interesting, I might watch it.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Hi!
I´ve watched Rellik from Cinemax and BBC One. Richard Dormer plays DCI Markham and the story is told via playbacks of scenes. You see a scene, then it´s rewound and seen from a different perspective. It´s only six episodes, though. But a nice treat in the crime drama drawer of things.

Flag
Nov 09, 2018
Purely based on your recommendation, I've just seen this. It was very good, I thought. I soon got into the backwards thing.
Flag
Nov 11, 2018
A comment on tv.com! Wow,
Great to have recommeded something good then,
How are things?
Flag
8 hours ago
Ha ha, yes, I wasn't sure you'd see it. Things are good, you?
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
I remember that being on, but something put me off, I don't remember what. But, you'd recommend it?
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Yes I do. It might have been the disconfiguration of DCI Markham. The theme of the series is guilt, I guess. Other than that it´s a hunt for a serial killer. It worked well and has some lose strings for a second season. I enjoyed it! But then, I´m liking most UK series. Another one I´m watching is Humans (Season 3).
Deep State (Epix) is another Brit series. It´s about tradecraft and spies. I´m three epospdes in and liking it.
Btw, I sent a friend request over a twitter handle, did you get that?
Flag
Jul 21, 2018
I wasn't sure about Rellik, something about it put me off, probably the premise, and some of my friends dissuaded me from watching it.
Humans is excellent - very highly recommended! If you haven't seen it yet dhaworth, drop something else to make the time.
Haven't seen Deep State yet, not evough time and too many shows!
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
I'll see if I can find it then.
I saw Deep State and thought it was good. I haven't seen Humans.
Yeah, that wasn't me on Twitter, I don't really do that.
Flag
Jun 10, 2018
Never mind. I guess the handle was taken by someone else.
Flag
Follow this Topic
Members